mtbr member
    May 2010

Big Dummy Review

Finally got around to writing a full review of the Dummy...in light of its 1,000 mile rollover.

Clicky Linky Herey.

mtbr member
    1,000 miles? Nice.

We gotta get that thing on some singletrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Loved it! The new Peapod seat does have a quick release feature, and frees up more cargo room. It's on my list when my son outgrows the iBert.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ya know...I emailed Xtracycle 3 times about the quick release right after I got my Peapod, and they never responded. I was, perhaps, the inspiration for that feature.

Nah, probably not.

And HoM, the Dummy on single track? You must really be worried that I'm going to kick your butt this summer.

PRETENDURO
    Doh! Ive owned my Surly Big Dummy for over two years, and have only put 319 miles on it despite having added/upgraded over $1,500.00 worth of accessories to it! I suck. I need to ride the Big Dummy more.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post

And HoM, the Dummy on single track? You must really be worried that I'm going to kick your butt this summer.

I handed you a WORS race schedule for a reason.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Doh! Ive owned my Surly Big Dummy for over two years, and have only put 319 miles on it despite having added/upgraded over $1,500.00 worth of accessories to it! I suck. I need to ride the Big Dummy more.
    So factoring in your original purchase price...

Hmm...

Maybe $10/mile?

But I bet they were fun miles.

PRETENDURO
    So factoring in your original purchase price...

Hmm...

Maybe $10/mile?

But I bet they were fun miles.
    Er yeah, something like that. But yes, fun all the way.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Now that spring time is almost here I'm going to start riding my BD as long as it don't rain lol.But then again I did buy a rain suit.As long as it don't rain to hard I will give it a try some day.But I need a good set of rain tires for it first.

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Rain tires?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    BWR,

Have you seen the tires that kdc runs? They're among the reason I'm unsatisfied with the Big Apples...because kdc's tires look great.

Weekend update...reorganized the garage so the Dummy is by the door. No more having to move the car to get it out. No more excuses.

Down South Yooper
    BWR,

Have you seen the tires that kdc runs? They're among the reason I'm unsatisfied with the Big Apples...because kdc's tires look great.

Weekend update...reorganized the garage so the Dummy is by the door. No more having to move the car to get it out. No more excuses.
    I'm running marathon extremes in 2.25, year around (including winter). I don't need a full knobby tire, and I don't want more rolling resistance than needed. I also noticed that on knobby tires the lugs would be folding and squirming under the weight of a loaded dummy.

Put them on last August, have maybe 700 to 1k miles on them, no flats, wearing well.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    I'm running marathon extremes in 2.25, year around (including winter). I don't need a full knobby tire, and I don't want more rolling resistance than needed. I also noticed that on knobby tires the lugs would be folding and squirming under the weight of a loaded dummy.

Put them on last August, have maybe 700 to 1k miles on them, no flats, wearing well.

Plum

Pics?

Down South Yooper
    Eh, you can kinda see them here:

Jason Plum's Photos | Facebook

Or maybe a little elsewhere in the album, I don't take a lot of pictures of my bikes.

Large volume, roll pretty well, have a pretty solid tread pattern, almost like an inverted tread tire. Have had zero flats (knock on wood) and run them around 45 to 55 psi.

Here's a better pic from google:

Schwalbe Marathon Extreme DD Tyre | 26 x 2.0 Folding Black Reflective

Think the volume of a big apple, but with a fairly easy rolling big block tread. I'd consider swapping them out for studs in the winter, but they're pretty light here (Madison, WI). Way lighter than big apples as well, iirc.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    im a big dumb animal

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been liking the WTB Vulpines for around-town high-volume 26" tires. I have Big Apples on my Dummy, but I'm thinking of swapping them for another pair of Vulpines. They have a nice minimal knob, and corner a lot better than the Apples.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got mine last October and it's at 960 miles now.

Another tire consideration that has worked well for my dummy is the Maxxis Holy Roller. It's really a park/jump tire but they come in 2.2 and 2.4 sizes. I'm currently running 2.2 but will jump up to the 2.4 size when these wear out. Most riding I do is urban and they roll nicely whether it's dry or wet. They are a little squirmy on loose singletrack, but I suspect any tire would be given the weight and length of the bike and I can't see running full knobbies on it for the bulk of the riding I do.

Also +1 on the Yepp Maxi seat (Peapod III). I can get it on or off in about 15 seconds, it locks to the bike, and I can haul one kid and 4 bags of groceries. We will see how it works with 2 seats when the second kid turns 1 in a few months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    BWR,

Thanks now that we have move my tires are doing me good here.Lots of dirt road to ride and yes they are good tires in the mud and now to bad on the road either.