mtbr member

Big Dummy Island Life...

Replaced the seals in my Big Dummy's Rohloff IGH and threw in some cleaning fluid to prep for an oil change. Needed to ride the bike to move the cleaning fluid around so decided to get some groceries while I was at it.

Big Dummy - a set on Flickr

Guy at the beer store was worried I wouldn't have room for the beer. I told it would fit fine and if it didn't I'd just throw out the vegetables to make space! Happily it didn't come to that.

Groceries, cat litter and beer. What else do you need?

Ran into my buddy Steve so he got to check out the Dummy's passenger accommodations.

It was a good day to be a Vancouver Islander...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sweet! Looks great, Steve's smile tells the story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Awesome!

Think I will envy you that Rohloff when I start riding external gearing systems in the winter here. Sweet setup!

mtbr member

I've been reorganizing my garage and office lately. Happily I made room for my Big Dummy inside the office with a straight shot out the door. That makes for easier deployment, plus my cat likes to chill on the deck pad.

I've posted a review of my Big Dummy on my Blog....as well as a review of the accessories I'm using.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

My GF had knee surgery recently and was getting a bit bummed with all the driving we were doing since she couldn't pedal. So her first "bike ride" was a Big Dummy ride for coffee.

Even if she wasn't really riding it was a morale boost that got her brain back on the right track.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    nice, miss the dumb blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
    nice, miss the dumb blog
    You can read a different, but equally dumb blog of mine here.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Reorganized my office so I could fit the Big Dummy in along a wall by the door instead of in the garage. Much easier to roll it straight out the door and on a cargo mission than in the past when I had to pull 2 or 3 bikes off it and maneuverer it 90 degrees out of the garage.

My use of utility bikes goes up inversely proportional to the hassle involved in deploying them.

I had to sacrifice the sofa that was against that wall...bikes come first!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

My GF is a bike touring newbie with one overnight tour under her belt and she is recovery from ACL reconstruction which means no mountain biking which is driving her crazy.

She wanted to get out of the house so I suggested a quick cargo-packing micro-adventure.

I carried all the essentials like tent, sleeping bags, camping chairs and beer!

We found a nice spot at a local beach campground.

Played a competitive game of Kelp-Throw.

Woke up to rain. So we packed up quick and hit the road in search of a warm cup of coffee/tea.

The rain died down as we ate and drank some warm goodies.

Enjoyed some peaceful if damp riding. Not many other folks out and about on a cool wet holiday Monday morning.

The loaded Big Dummy evened our speeds out and made for a good touring combo. I can see us doing this sort of thing again. I get a good workout and a fun ride in plus the GF doesn't have to feel any pressure to ride fast.

Life is better when you ride loaded...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Awesome post. This is "Passion" for sure. Thanks for the great story!!

troll
    Great post, Vik! Thanks for sharing! Reading your (old) blog was what helped me make the decision to sell my pickup truck and purchase a Big Dummy. That was 3 years ago, and I love riding my Big Dummy every day.

mtbr member
    Nice pictures, looks like an awsome place to ride bikes. What state is that?
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    Nice pictures, looks like an awsome place to ride bikes. What state is that?

Thanks. I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island British Columbia - in the Great Northern Territories.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Been there, Victoria and Vancouver Island is a beautiful. Makes my Big Island (Hawaii) seem small. I've been there for work and mountain biking on several occasions. Can't wait to return some day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Vik - Just FYI, I was playing around with setting up the BD to ride, but didn't have shifter parts just yet. So I set it up SS using 32x20 gearing and with a half-link, it is about perfect tensioning. Just in case you are able to use that gearing and wanted to lose the tensioner...

mtbr member
    I guess the local emergency response agency is setting up an elite bicycle response team to fight zombies and deliver supplies in the case of a big quake [we live on a fault].

vikapproved | VEMA ? Bicycle Emergency Response

I guess I better take my Big Dummy down to the meeting and join.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Vik - do you use HAM radios at all? In the theme of emergency comms, China's been flooding the market with the BaoFeng UV-5R ($40 USD on amazon).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
    Vik - do you use HAM radios at all? In the theme of emergency comms, China's been flooding the market with the BaoFeng UV-5R ($40 USD on amazon).
    Not really. I do have a VHF marine radio I use for sea kayaking and SUPIng, but I have no license so I just keep it for SOS purposes and don't transmit normally.

At the bike emergency team meeting the organizer pointed out that they already had a communications team that I assume are HAM folks.

I'm not keen to take up another hobby. I have too much gear and not enough time as it is.

I will be joining the bike emergency response team with my Big Dummy. I assume the city will supply comms gear.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com