mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy

I asked my boy what he wanted to do this weekend & his answer was ride the Big Dummy to see the Stearn Wheeler downtown. No argument here... much to our delight it was open free to families so we got to take a tour & go aboard. In all it was about 7 -8 miles riding. Lots of threatening clouds, but it didn't rain till after we got home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-picture-137.jpg  

Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-picture-139.jpg  

Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-picture-142.jpg  

Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-picture-144.jpg  

Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-picture-148.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ahh...the crumbsnatchers. 'ent they the best people in the whole-wide-world!

Love the big dummy! Awesome scoot!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    After looking at the pics i think i'm going to change out the pink grips. I think they're too much & some Ergon's would be super comfy. I like the pink, somehow it just works on this bike.

Hey people, post more pictures. Get inspired & if you haven't seen this video then you're missing out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-jRz5Vh5yU

mtbr member
    Did someone say post more pics?

Costco trip! Two kids riding along not pictured, toilet paper, paper towels, 18 eggs, 2 gallons of milk, a flat of Hawaiian bread, strawberry preserves, blackberries, ravioli, Nestle Quik, probably a few other things...

Our costco is currently selling an insulated bag (grey with red and black flower pattern in pic) that is about the size of two grocery bags, perfect for hauling groceries in the freeloaders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-costco.bigdummy.2-20100829-1718.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My daughter puts her feet in the same spot on the frame as your son does...I'm thinking of making a little footrest for her that would fit there, with a lip to hold her feet. Whaddya think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Damn I love Portland! I don't have a BD and my 7 month old is wee bit too young to be out adventuring yet... I'm jealous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think it's a great idea lawfarm, let me know how it turns out.

fat biker have you tried using your kids car-seat in a trailer? We had a lot of success with that setup for him when he was wee. We'll do the same for our daughter when she is old enough to hold her head up reliably. I think the boy was about 4 months old when we did it with him. He slept quite nicely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sure hadn't... At this point he is sitting up on his own quite reliably and I think there is a Big Dummy in my near future... Anybody here have good experience with the pea pod from xtracycle?

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by RekibTaf
    Sure hadn't... At this point he is sitting up on his own quite reliably and I think there is a Big Dummy in my near future... Anybody here have good experience with the pea pod from xtracycle?
    My PeaPod LT has been backordered for a bit. Ordered it at the same time as my Big Dummy, of course Iíve had the Big Dummy in my possession for just short of two weeks.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by RekibTaf
    I've had one for a while now. Pros: Works. My son seems to be comfy and likes rides. Cons: Expensive, pain to move on and off the Dummy, and when it's on it makes filling the side bags with cargo difficult. Overall: I'm glad I got it.

Edit: added pic. Pea pod on the back, Wee Ride for kid #2 on the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Dumb weekend ride with the boy-img_0421.jpg  

This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Devo
    portland is great
    i need to go back and spend more time
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.