Thread: BD Frame issue

Human Test Subject

BD Frame issue

I recently picked up a used dummy frame for a mere 300 bucks. Amazing you say? Well it was hit by a car. Frame checks out ok. I put a 700c wheel in and it spins just fine. The only issue is the wide loader mount in the back is now misshapen. Here's a pic!

I was quoted by a semi local frame builder for 45 bucks of repairs. Not bad, but he's also 45 minutes from my house if I were to drive. Driving sucks, so I want to avoid that.

Anyway, Surly makes this thing

Big Dummy Protective Plug Insert
    which appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone know anything about this part, done this before, or have any tips?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When I reveived my new frame a week ago the tubing tool/protection insert (what should I call that thing?) in the picture came with it.

You might try to ask the guy you bought the frame from if he still has it laying around somewhere?

Human Test Subject
    It's only 13 bucks new. I'm just curious if it will work.

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    It should work, but will take some patience. Lubricate it with good grease (Phil Wood Waterproof or comparable). The tool is aluminum, thus softer than the steel frame tube, so go slow.

I think it's really designed to work with less severe damage, but it's worth a try.
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes, it will work, that's what it's designed for. New Dummy's come stock with that tool. Or they used to any way... Good luck.
    Hope Pro II hubs save lives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    While we're on the subject, when I picked up my BD, my LBS had that thingy installed as such:

Is that correct? It looks like it isn't according to that second pic in this thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You have it stored correctly. The pic above is how it would be used to fix the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    While we're on the subject, when I picked up my BD, my LBS had that thingy installed as such:

Is that correct? It looks like it isn't according to that second pic in this thread
    Hope Pro II hubs save lives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's also useful as a mounting point for a trailer hitch

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks!

Human Test Subject
    Thanks for the help guys! Waiting a few days to see if someone gets me one for my bday and if not, buying it myself.

Human Test Subject
    I got it and tried hammering it in with a rubber mallet. Didn't work. Maybe a headset press? Anyone have any suggestions?

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I got it and tried hammering it in with a rubber mallet. Didn't work. Maybe a headset press? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Is the threaded rod not long enough to pull the tapered end in? That is what I would be shooting for. If the stock rod isn't long enough, maybe a longer one from the hardware store to get it started.

When my frame (used) showed up it had a similar ding. I used a socket to bump it out as I didn't get the surly hardware. The surly hardware would have been easier than my method.

Plum

Edit; can't see how a headset press would be helpful here. I would put the tapered end in and use the threaded rod to pull it in and re-round the wideloader socket.
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Human Test Subject
    Yeah, the rod's not quite long enough because I can't get one of the end bits in far enough. I'll work on it a bit more. It's gotta be pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The whole tube looks ovalized. Wide loaders insert pretty deep in so if you want to make that work, you'll have to replace that section of tube, not just round out the openings.