mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Anyone have experience with both Big Apples and Hookworms?

I am finalizing the build for my Big Dummy at the LBS this evening. I can't decide whether to try Hookworms or go with another set of Big Apples (I have them on my Ogre) because I know how they are and like them well enough.

The rims will be some to-be-picked-by-my-LBS-owner (who is into DH) DH rims that are on the wider side of things without going Large Marge, so maybe 35-36mm?

It will be ran primarily on road but a fair amount of gravel. Basically, nothing the Big Apple couldn't handle, I'm just wondering how the Hookworm is from a comfort standpoint.

NONDURO
    Yes. I first rode the 2.0" Big Apples on my Big Dummy for about 100 miles, then switched to the 2.5" Hookworms. Glad I did. I found that the bike felt like it was understeering all the time until I switched to the Hookworms. Hundreds of miles later I am glad I made the switch. The Big Apples eventually found themselves on my Surly 1x1 for some 44x20 SS road riding, where they felt more at home than on a cargobike. The Hookworms are much more confidence-inspiring on marginal traction surfaces (wet, puddles, mud, gravel, etc.).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

wants a taco
    Hookworms are certainly heavier duty tires, the sidewalls on the BA's are pretty thin to help with ride quality. I really do like my BA's a lot but my next tires will likely be holy rollers for a little more grip offroad but to answer your specific question I would buy the hookworms.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

...a wiggle theres a way
    I have been using hookworms on the big dummy since April. I've logged about 3200 miles on them. Most of these have been commuting miles(80%). The other 20% have been hauling groceries, doing weekend tours, taking my other bikes to the shop, and also taking bikes and race supplies to my friends to take to a race.
    Overall i'm very impressed with this tire it rolls quickly, grips well, inspires confidence going up and especially coming down canyons loaded with tour gear, it also wears slowly with a rotation every few months.So far no flats from nails, glass or goat heads. (i did have a tube blow out. The cause of that was an old tube that had been patched 4 times)

In short, I'd buy the hookworms again and would recommend them to you!
    for completeness the tires the hookworms replaced were FatFranks

-joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have used both, and I find that the big apples are significantly faster rolling. I also found the hookworms were more round and they are less prone to speed wobble on my CETMA. Although I own both, the big apples are what are on my bike now.
    For what it's worth, I like the Marathon Supremes even better, but they do not come in a 20 inch, nor are they as wide as the big apple 2.35"