mtbr member
    Mar 2005

anyone haul dog food on their cargo???

Hey everyone,

I just picked up my Big Dummy today after 3 long weeks of it being at the bike shop. I need to run to pick up some dog food and was wondering if anyone had done so with their cargo? I have the HD bottom extensions but I have two great danes so a 40# bag is what I need to pick up. Just curious if I should expect any problems with that much weight on one side? Any info is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi,

I took cat food the other day (my wife has 8 cats, so that was a BIG bag) on my FreeLoader and WideLoader. I put some straps between the wideloader, the snapdeck and the v-rack, and all went fine.
    Starting was kind of strange, but after a few meters, I got accustomed to it.

mtbr member

Just buy the food and haul it.

Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just picked up my Big Dummy today after 3 long weeks of it being at the bike shop. I need to run to pick up some dog food and was wondering if anyone had done so with their cargo? I have the HD bottom extensions but I have two great danes so a 40# bag is what I need to pick up. Just curious if I should expect any problems with that much weight on one side? Any info is appreciated.
    Dude, the BD can haul a ton. It can easily handle a 40lb bag of dog food. Better yet, get two and balance the load.

Last weekend I made my first large haul--large bag of cat food, case of canned food and two large boxes of litter. The BD handled it just fine. It took a couple of minutes to pack and stabilize the load but nothing too complicated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone haul dog food on their cargo???-img_0768.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

One What?
    Mike's phone 9-1-12 389

Yes your BD will handle that load. This not-very-good cell phone pic shows me carrying 2 50lbs. bags of softener salt plus a refill of a 5 gallon jug of H2o. Total load probably weighed 150#. I used my Wideloaders to cradle the bags and strapped it over the Snapdeck in the middle to give the load and racks a little more support. The jug I simply bungeed to the V racks. The ride was a little shaky but manageable and it's always more fun to do it by bike.

Untitled

This picture shows me carrying an old shop vac that probably weighed close to 50# by itself. I took off the motor and inner workings and strapped that to the other side thats not shown in the pic.

Just remember to keep your load as low as possible to the ground and as close to the wheel as possible and you should be ok. Also, you can never have to much strapping/support of your load. Always better to err on the side of caution...And dont forget to have a good time!

mtbr member
    I usually carry two 40 pound bags on my mundo. No problem. Strap them to the side.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Down South Yooper
    Dog food no, mulch yes.

anyone haul dog food on their cargo???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348872367.180365.jpg

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

...a wiggle theres a way
    I've carried 4 bags of dog food without issue. The biggest and most important thing you need to remember is to Equalize the load (=

I found when i carried the items below - cars were really nice and courtesy as the past me -
    Enjoy your new bike!
    -joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone haul dog food on their cargo???-imag0049.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I really like your wideloader/fork hitch kombo!
    Kudos!