mtbr member
    Apr 2006

any good reasons to not get the BD complete?

It seems the build is similar to my Ogre, so I have no complaints, aside from I kinda am thinking about going Grip Shift, and i want a different deck than that wooden one, but it seems silly to build a frame up just for those reasons. I wouldn't mind a Mr Whirly either, but that is far from a necessity.

The best value is with the complete, no?

Down South Yooper
    I think you're correct. Easiest way to get going. Got mine as a frameset, but I had a donor for everything but the wheels, which I built myself (and sold off the hope 29er wheel set to more than pay for).

Unless you have a garage full of parts and like building bikes for the hell of it, why not get the complete? Upgrade as you wear stuff out.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It comes with the plastic Flightdeck and new bags now. Good wheelset, great tires, great overall build for the money. The complete is by far the best route to go, unless you have a nice donor bike.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm in the process of building my BD and since you asked, here's my reason for building as opposed to buying complete.

1. Got a great price on the frame ($750) so that leaves me roughly $1200 for parts. With what I have already, can get some good quality parts with the money I saved not buying complete.

2. I'm planning the build for over the winter and expect the BD to be on the road next spring. This let's me buy parts as money becomes available and I can really look and wait for sales. This is just better financially for me than dropping $2k all at once.

3. I volunteer at a local community bike workshop and consider myself only a novice mechanic so any chance to add to my skills (and put them to personal use) is a bonus.

I figure in the end, I won't have made money on this adventure but should end up with some parts of better quality than the stock bike and also have a great winter planning, buying and building the bike.

jed

One What?
    If I had mine to do all over again, I would buy a complete. Just money at the time wouldn't allow me to do it. Good luck and welcome to the Big Dumb world!

Also, spring for the Flight Deck if you don't love the Snapdeck. It wasn't an option when I initially bought all my Xtracycle stuff, but I'm seriously considering one now. It seems like you can do the most with it and the Super hooks make a lot of sense, especially with wee ones on the back.
    Last edited by FastFix; 08-13-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Additional info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh sweet! I didn't know it came with the plastic deck, I thought it had the wooden thing. That's what I wanted (the plastic one). So that's a bonus

One What?
    It's an upcharge, but I would definitely recommend it. The wooden Snapdeck works for what it is, but Flight Deck is where it's at.

Edit: I guess it's not an upcharge. Sweet.
    Last edited by FastFix; 08-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I built mine primarily because I wanted to. If you don't have any desire to do-it-yourself, then definitely the complete bike is a great way to go. On the other hand, if you want to build, you can easily find reasons to justify doing so.

ONe less gear
    I had a XT group that needed a bike to go on, so it made sense to build up the Dummy instead of complete. All I need now is a Thomson stem and seat post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got a sweet deal on Big Dummy frame It was just $670 with free shipping. I just had to buy it. I need to buy wheelset, disc brakes, front derailleur, extra long cable and housing, and long chain to complete the build. I would also need to buy Xtracycle kit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have most of a donor bike and the complete still looks like the better way to go. $1000 to get a full build kit, with decent discs, plus if I'm not mistaken the complete comes with a couple hundred bucks in Xtracycle stuff that the frameset doesn't?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am still working on building my Big Dummy, but I went ahead and bought the frameset instead of the complete since they were sold out of the complete and I wanted to take the bike with me back to Europe from the US as checked baggage since shipping the thing would have cost me hundreds more.

My brother-in-law used to ride with a FreeRadical kit that he no longer uses, so I was able to get the wideloaders, V-racks and freeloaders from him as a gift.

I was able to get close enough to the price of the complete using similar components with a few upgrades, and saved in taking the bike with me as baggage aboard the flight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No reason not to