mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Another Guy Considering a Fat Mundo...

So I've been reading up what I can on the fat Mundo projects, and thinking that might be for me.

My choice tire would be a fast off-road tire such as Knard, Small Block 8, Racing Ralph, etc. Floyds are too slick, Endos too knobby. From what I am aware of, there isn't anything in between 2.35 Small Block 8s and 3.8 Knards that isn't either an urban cruiser or aggressive DH tire. My thoughts were to fatten a thin tire or thin a fat tire through rim selection, if need be.

For chain clearance, I don't want to move the wheel to the side. I would rather go IGH or use a cassette with fewer gears. Though I don't want to sacrifice range, just the in-between gears.

So hearing all this, does there seem to be any hope for me? Or should my next step be therapy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Endos are too knobby?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For my range of uses, I think so, but I'm still learning a lot. Is it correct that Knards are less knobby than Endos? If any of my comparisons are off, I'm up for being educated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Endo is least knobby (very shallow chevrons). Then Larry, then Knard (or maybe 45Nrth Husker Du), then Nate. Endo and Larry are far less knobby than SB8, Racing Ralph
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

Welcome to the world of Fat Yuba

Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    So I've been reading up what I can on the fat Mundo projects, and thinking that might be for me.

My choice tire would be a fast off-road tire such as Knard, Small Block 8, Racing Ralph, etc. Floyds are too slick, Endos too knobby. From what I am aware of, there isn't anything in between 2.35 Small Block 8s and 3.8 Knards that isn't either an urban cruiser or aggressive DH tire. My thoughts were to fatten a thin tire or thin a fat tire through rim selection, if need be.

For chain clearance, I don't want to move the wheel to the side. I would rather go IGH or use a cassette with fewer gears. Though I don't want to sacrifice range, just the in-between gears.

So hearing all this, does there seem to be any hope for me? Or should my next step be therapy?
    The sunlite 3.5 crusher tire will be available very soon, like a couple weeks or so. 3.0 kenda flames are legit even though they might seem corny because of the flames. 2.5 hookworms on 65mm rims are also legit. I want a nuvinci 360. you can get a floyd in the back but it will be too close to be practicle in my opinion. The best option in my mind is to go fat with rims, like 65mm or 80mm (yes they will fit) and go with either a hookworm or Flame. I will be trying the crusher tire as soon as they are available, I think they might work on 65mm rims which would be the ultimate if you ask me. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wasn't aware of the crusher tire until now - looks like it might be the ticket. Flames and hookworms seemed a little too slick for me, but maybe I'm not given them enough credit.

Assuming I went with the 3.5, and perhaps 3" US choppers rims, what does that leave for gearing options? Part of me thinks I could survive with 3 or 4 gears in back at large intervals, but again I may be in store for some education. Open to IGH but hoping that isn't the only choice. I typically shift 2-3 gears at a time. Is that bad technique, possibly more so for a cargo bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    Wasn't aware of the crusher tire until now - looks like it might be the ticket. Flames and hookworms seemed a little too slick for me, but maybe I'm not given them enough credit.

Assuming I went with the 3.5, and perhaps 3" US choppers rims, what does that leave for gearing options? Part of me thinks I could survive with 3 or 4 gears in back at large intervals, but again I may be in store for some education. Open to IGH but hoping that isn't the only choice. I typically shift 2-3 gears at a time. Is that bad technique, possibly more so for a cargo bike?
    I just saw that the crusher tires with the wire bead white sidewall stripe (they are going to have an all black folder too) are available now on j&b importers.
    A 3 inch rim would be 76.2mm leaving 29.4mm of space on each side of a 135o.l.d. hub. The cogs dont go all the way to the outer lock nut though so maybe you have about 24mm (allowing for a guessed 5.6mm between outer cog and locknut.) I am guessing you could put 6 cogs on a freehub with that 24mm.
    You might run into problems with the derailleur hiting the cogs if you try to make the jumps between cog sizes to big, this is because the derailleur moves in and down at a certain ratio and it might not move far enough down in the short distance it moves over when using a high range/low cog count cassette.
    I personaly don't care for derailuers anyway, they destroy wheels, lives, families etc.
    I would go IGH, But I have seen people run a tentioner, single cog in the back and a triple up front. I am going to do nuvinci with 65mm rims, I got the hoops from jbimporters and am waiting for a deal on the nuvinci 360. I will just use some custom machined axle adapters since nuvinci is 10x1 axle.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong for shifting, just personal preference.
    Do you have a Mundo yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I do not have a Mundo yet - I am still kicking myself for not jumping on their $400 frame sale.

Upon closer inspection, the Crusher tires seem to be for asphalt and sand only, and I was looking for something with a little more grab, at least around the edges. Though truthfully the vast majority of my riding would be an excellent fit for those tires. It's that detour through the park that's still beckoning.