mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Alternate bag sources for Xtracycles?

Before i go and drop like $700 on Xtracycle bits at their website, are there any third party options in lieu of the Freeloaders?

I tried Googling but all I came up with was online bike shops selling the Freeloaders, or blogs about people making their own. Didn't know if there was a company out there who makes stuff, kinda like Revelate or something. Ideally not super boutiquey, similar in price to the Freeloaders ideally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm not aware of any. I thought the xtracycle bags were too expensive so i went ahead and made my own. I can now tell you that the xtracycle bags are worth every penny! haha It's a lot of work to make a set, and after all that work, mine aren't nearly as good.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Before i go and drop like $700 on Xtracycle bits at their website, are there any third party options in lieu of the Freeloaders?

I tried Googling but all I came up with was online bike shops selling the Freeloaders, or blogs about people making their own. Didn't know if there was a company out there who makes stuff, kinda like Revelate or something. Ideally not super boutiquey, similar in price to the Freeloaders ideally.
    You could order a set of the adventure racks or whatever they are called now - the one's that have the lower rail for mounting panniers on. I picked up one so I can mount my Ortlieb panniers on one side - I have a vrack with freeloader on the other side.

The advantage to this option is you can move the panniers between bikes. The only thing about the adventure rack is it doesn't have a lower rail to secure the lower hook on a pannier mount to. I string a piece of webbing between the vertical posts down low for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You might want to check out some of Devo's Dummy threads. He has used BOB trailer sacks strapped to the frame to carry far more than the freeloaders are capable of. You just need a couple of cheap flat cargo straps to tie them on.

Disabled Vet
    I bought the Xtracycle Hoodie bag for mine (basically an ECO kit when setup tis way,check it on their website),a pic...

Seems like it was aroun $70 for the Hoodie itself,well worth the investment IMO It swalos camoning gear for 2 and 12 packs like they aren't even there. The website says "4 bags of groceris",but I've squeezed a week's worth for the family (me,wife,2 kids) in there more than a coupel times,between the Hoodie and the top/rack-area. Underneath the Hoodie isn't a solid rack (though the Flightdeck does fit,if a bit tightly),but it's reinforced with thin plastic to make it usable to strap stuff to it.

Oh wait...do you already have the longtail kit,or are you just talking about bags to use ON the longtail? If you're just starting and have a donor bike,the complete ECO kit was like,$400-430 shipped if memory serves
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We just built our first run of ExtraHuge roll top bags for ExtraCycles.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1477697&type=1

Full 1050D ballistic cloth... strongest material available, highly water repellant. We just sold our first dozen bags locally. We have another 10-12 on hand... likely to go quick. $125 per bag.
    color options including:

Coffee/Grey
    Grey/Yellow
    Grey/Red
    Green/Yellow
    Blue/Grey

Email me if interested... info at upski dot com
    cheers, Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate bag sources for Xtracycles?-cimg0655.jpg