Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Devo
    when you see something like this: Sandman Outback tandem

how can you not want a fat tired cargo bike

obviously thats a tandem, but you get the gist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Afternoon project: BIG FAT DUMMY!!!-f860db62639c4fc3bf7c1be8d3faec50.jpg  

www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    when you see something like this: Sandman Outback tandem

how can you not want a fat tired cargo bike

obviously thats a tandem, but you get the gist
    Leave it to the Belgian!!! (I am currently enjoying a 750ml bottle of Affligem Triplel!!!) :cheers: (hopes there’s an emoticon for that one!)
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Image #2: 26"x3.0" Duro Razorback tire mounted on Large Marge rim (looks more appropriate)
    Glad I found this. I ordered parts earlier this week to do the same project. Your pictures aren't working, so I can't see if this bike had a derailleur. If so, I assume the Razorback prevented you from getting to some of your rear cogs. How many did you lose access to b/c of the tire width?

To get into the nearest "big" town me and the kids have to ride a very steep, loose path for about a mile before we hit a rails to trails. I have BA's on my Dummy right now and we don't have enough traction plus I'm getting some complaints from the passengers about bumpiness. I'm hoping the Razorbacks will solve both problems.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

PRETENDURO
    Sorry, I used to host my images on my then-reliable .mac service account, but they end of lifed an otherwise useful service. I still need to find an image hosting service. Yes, running a rear derailleur. Zero clearance issues on a 2x9 drivetrain setup. I’ve since changed the tires to 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms since the bike sees fewer trail rides and more paved surface rides.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Sorry, I used to host my images on my then-reliable .mac service account, but they end of lifed an otherwise useful service. I still need to find an image hosting service. Yes, running a rear derailleur. Zero clearance issues on a 2x9 drivetrain setup. I’ve since changed the tires to 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms since the bike sees fewer trail rides and more paved surface rides.
    Are you running a true double? I have a 22-32-guard on a triple and I was rubbing in my lowest gear w/ 2.35 BA's (haven't taken calipers out to do a true width measurement). I had to space out my bb 2mm to the drive side to fix this.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Well, that was underwhelming.

I received the Razorbacks yesterday. The good is that I like the tread pattern a lot and I think it will work well for my intended use.

But the main reason to drop to 24" was to get more volume. My Big Apples (26x2.35) measure 58mm in real life. I don't expect tires to correspond exactly to the stated width, but I expect them to be close. The Razorbacks (stated width 3.00") measure 65mm in real life. I'm using a 39mm rim (Alex DX32).

I dont' think I could have used a larger 26" tire on the rear of my bike, so building the 24" wheelset wasn't a total waste. But I was certainly expecting to gain more than 7mm tire width.

I chose the Razorback over the Felt Berm Master 24x3.00 because of the tread pattern. The Razorback will certainly do better in mud and slop, but I'm going to try to find out what the real measurement is on the Berm Master and try those out if they get me more volume. The 24" tires are more about giving my kids a smooth ride on bumpy paths than anything. I'll try try to post some pics as time allows.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Nice, here is my BFD

It took 2 1/2 years to build but its been rolling for awhile now. Just have to do a mod to my bikes at work trailer and I can haul anything.

[ATTACH]Afternoon project: BIG FAT DUMMY!!!-img_3901.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Afternoon project: BIG FAT DUMMY!!!-img_3900.jpg  

Last edited by MooseCaboose; 08-30-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: trying to at a picture

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here are the pics

Devo
    wow that is so freaking awesome!
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you! I LOVE IT!! so fun to ride...

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseCaboose View Post
    It took 2 1/2 years to build but its been rolling for awhile now. Just have to do a mod to my bikes at work trailer and I can haul anything.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3901.jpg 
Views:	2545 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	720568[/ATTACH]
    do I see lights on the front rack?
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Look under the front rack right next to the fender, they are black and look like a big camera canister. I do have 2 Lupine betties with red rings to mount there, just have to figure out were to mount the battery and how to run the spitter wire with out looking crazy.

PRETENDURO
    WOW!!! Hello Surlybikes.com??? Are you guys paying attention???

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Thank you! I LOVE IT!! so fun to ride...
    That's my dream car.

What a magnificent beast. Even the kickstand is beautiful.
    Last edited by Anthony King; 08-30-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Moose,

Do you know the trail measurement on your bike? Would you mind asking the builder if you don't know?

Putting the 24" wheelset improved the handling my lowering the trail. Especially when climbing something steep it is much easier to keep the front end tracking straight with reduced trail. This is even more pronounced on bikes with a front rack. Ideally, if the builder knows the bike is going to have a front rack either the head tube angle should be steeper or fork rake should be increased (either change reduces geometric trail).

Human Test Subject
    Are marge lights strong enough to support a full cargo load?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I know the Marge Lites are strong enough to hold huge loads. I have run 400lbs on the bike so far hauling lumber with the wide loaders/long load apt from xtracycle about 15 miles a couple times while doing home improvement projects. I also run the ML on 3 of my Mt Unicycles and it is a very durable rim. Surly does a very good job on there rims and test them with out holding anything back. I know they will be fine.

The red mount on the back is a fork up mount that I use for bikes and my BOB trailer.

Below is also the dual vented break

Afternoon project: BIG FAT DUMMY!!!-moosepullingbike900.jpg

Afternoon project: BIG FAT DUMMY!!!-moosebareback900.jpg

Afternoon project: BIG FAT DUMMY!!!-moosebarebreak900.jpg

mtbr member
    I got to say again, that bike is all full of Winning Awesome!!! Someday I have to have a Big Fat Dummy or any flavor....

PRETENDURO
    I know the Marge Lites are strong enough to hold huge loads. I have run 400lbs on the bike so far hauling lumber with the wide loaders/long load apt from xtracycle about 15 miles a couple times while doing home improvement projects. I also run the ML on 3 of my Mt Unicycles and it is a very durable rim. Surly does a very good job on there rims and test them with out holding anything back. I know they will be fine.

The red mount on the back is a fork up mount that I use for bikes and my BOB trailer.

Below is also the dual vented break

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moosepullingbike900.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	722009

Name:	moosebareback900.jpg 
Views:	1299 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	722010

Name:	moosebarebreak900.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	722011
    Wooooooo baby, that is one sweet-ass fat cargo bike! I really really really (really REALLY) hope the folks at Surly are paying attention!!! I’d gladly sell my 2010 Big Dummy to help fund a 2013 (or thereabouts) Surly Big Fat Dummy if one existed. And that is a sexy colour yours is painted—I’d be happy with a colour such as that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is a gorgeous ride!
    Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Amazing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Do you have a dynamo hub? I'm wondering if large marge can be installed with a dynamo hug...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't have a dynamo on this bike but I do on 2 others and the one is a Supernova laced to a L.M. And it works great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks a lot, that's perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What is that fork up mount? Is it available somewhere?
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast