NONDURO

... and if we just ... 321 I抦 in the club!!!

FINALLY!!! At long last, I am the proud owner of a Surly Big Dummy! I ordered it just under two weeks ago, and it arrived mid-morning today (the 26th). I spent a few hours assembling it; this was my first-ever steerer tube installation, and I had to employ the quick help of my trusty circular tablesaw with the expensive-ass ($90) metal cutting blade to get the steerer tube to the right length. Getting the Avid BB7 calipers aligned took waaaaaaaay too long, as the adjustments just weren抰 working. FINALLY, I got them dialed in. The front derailleur had been mounted at a twisted angle, I realised this after much unnecessary adjustment of the setscrews (d抩h! ), but eventually I figured it out.

I am still waiting for the center stand (backordered) and the PeaPod LT child seat (also backordered). Both my kids think the Big Dummy rocks!!!

QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

The Brutally Handsome
    Looks awesome, love the flat bar! By the way, the Pea-pod is definitely worth the wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Hacksaw

Cut Steer tube with HACKSAW.
    Clean steer tube up with hand file when done.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbeer
    Cut Steer tube with HACKSAW.
    Clean steer tube up with hand file when done.
    I had actually started with the hacksaw, but it was cutting in at a crooked angle. The table saw took less than 7 seconds to saw all the way through (using spray-on silicone lubricant), leaving a very very very smooth edge on the cut surface (this is a table saw with a circular blade, with an adjustable blade height, using a special super expensive metal cutting blade桰 use this table saw all the time for my custom-ass aluminum housed high-power LED lights). It would have taken many minutes with my hacksaw.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Down South Yooper
    Nice, where did you get yours from?

I'm starting to look into a frameset order, possibly later this fall..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    nice.

I will update the thread on the piccolo in a bit...

welcome aboard...dummy.

g

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Nice, where did you get yours from?

I'm starting to look into a frameset order, possibly later this fall..

Plum
    I did the 揷omplete build option from xtracycle.com. They only have a few left in the 18" size (seems to be the most popular size).

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs
    nice.

I will update the thread on the piccolo in a bit...

welcome aboard...dummy.

g
    Yeah, actually I pretty excited about that prospect. Found a guy on Craigslist semi-nearby who has the Moose Rack + Piccolo for sale, is $200.00 too much??? I noticed that Burley no longer sells the Piccolos, I can only assume they EOL抎 them.

Meanwhile, waiting for the PeaPodLT+ecodeck and the center stand to arrive kids have seven days off between summer school and real school starting Monday so hopefully those other items will show up in the earlier half of their time off since, I am the schmuck who will have to basically babysit them all day long and being able to truck them around Big Dummy style would surely (Surly?) be more fun for the three of us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    I am the schmuck who will have to basically babysit them all day long and being able to truck them around Big Dummy style would surely (Surly?) be more fun for the three of us.
    You'll be the one with the grin and they'll be the ones hog tied on the back?

I hope the stuff arrives in time too for all of you. You'll never get these moments back and those are the ones you will all remember fondly later, not the eekster ones.

Just sent our 21 year old back for Senior year minutes ago. Where the balzes did the time go? And no, I wasn't assembling Big Dummies!

I envy the fun you guys are about to have if the parts are timely. You can't buy that....

Pulling for you.

Brian.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Yeah, actually I pretty excited about that prospect. Found a guy on Craigslist semi-nearby who has the Moose Rack + Piccolo for sale, is $200.00 too much??? I noticed that Burley no longer sells the Piccolos, I can only assume they EOL抎 them.
    Yes, the Piccolo is EOL, but the moose rack is still being made and can be purchased if you decide to get rid of the piccolo later:

http://www.burleygear.com/product_p/939001.htm

I think that is about what I paid for my used piccolo (more or less).

If you look at my setup, the mooserack needs more support. It (IMHO) rocks too much. It works, but will fatigue too easily the way it is now.

I plan to take small portions of the remainder of the rack and tig it to the ends to provide 6 points of contact with the ecodeck.

Just haven't gotten a 'round tuit...

I had originally intended to use the entire top of the moose rack on the deck, but it ate up too much real estate hence the chop....

HTH.

g

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Great looking bike & welcome to the Big Dumb crowd. I really like mine. Plum if you're looking to buy, last i looked bikeman had the complete version for just north of $1600.

I really didn't like the flat bars... opted for the Soma Clarence bars (on-one mary knock-off's) and they're wonderful. I also upgraded the saddle ASAP. Enjoy your Dummy & post pics as you update it.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    Great looking bike & welcome to the Big Dumb crowd. I really like mine. Plum if you're looking to buy, last i looked bikeman had the complete version for just north of $1600.
    I've been looking and I have most of the parts for a frame build. Treefort Bikes (Michigan) is expecting more 18" black dummies in stock mid-november. Currently fundraising so I can get one on backorder.

Once I get it on order I'll start up a new thread..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs
    Yes, the Piccolo is EOL, but the moose rack is still being made and can be purchased if you decide to get rid of the piccolo later:

http://www.burleygear.com/product_p/939001.htm

I think that is about what I paid for my used piccolo (more or less).

If you look at my setup, the mooserack needs more support. It (IMHO) rocks too much. It works, but will fatigue too easily the way it is now.

I plan to take small portions of the remainder of the rack and tig it to the ends to provide 6 points of contact with the ecodeck.

Just haven't gotten a 'round tuit...

I had originally intended to use the entire top of the moose rack on the deck, but it ate up too much real estate hence the chop....

HTH.

g
    Yeah, I’ve been thinking about how to add more support points, incorporating some of the already-there holes on the ecodeck. I think I am going to use a 3/16" thick reinforcing plate made from aluminum, backed with some thin-yet-durable rubber to go on the underside of the ecodeck (I honestly have no idea even what the underside looks like yet, still waiting to receive mine—backordered), but utilising six bolt mounting points overall (may have to weld on some bosses to the soon-to-be-hacked-up Moose Rack).

Meanwhile, I picked up this pristine thing today for just over $200:

Although it is a 2003 model, the tire on it still has the seam down the middle of the tread so I’d imagine the miles are low… backing up my claim, the chainring and cassette cogs are almost “new clean”, most of the gunk on them is from dust/dirt having collected over the years. Absolutely ZERO rust anywhere. Oh, to the right is the Moose Rack sitting atop my Xtracycle flight deck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use to cut my steer tube, now I don't. I just move the spacers above the stem instead of below the stem now. That way you don't cut the steer tube and can either sell it later or you can move it to another bike later.

Hardwarz
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    I use to cut my steer tube, now I don't. I just move the spacers above the stem instead of below the stem now. That way you don't cut the steer tube and can either sell it later or you can move it to another bike later.

Hardwarz
    I had thought about doing that, but then quickly realised I didn抰 have enough spacers on hand, so just hacked the fooker down to size with the saw.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I think I need to start looking for a piccolo now. I have a hand me down trail a bike, but it is fairly large and having the extra gearing would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Congrats on the new BD. She's a game-changer for sure. Not to change the subject, but what rims are you running on the 1x1?

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylarue
    Congrats on the new BD. She's a game-changer for sure. Not to change the subject, but what rims are you running on the 1x1?
    24"x2.5" Surly Large Marge rims.