Beastrider

2012 Trek Transport Review.

I have been posting updates here for a while now on the Trek Transport. Now I figured it might be time to give a review of it as I have been a happy owner since October of 2011.

I purchased the Transport on October 10th 2011. After waiting for about 8 months to get one I couldn't wait to ride. East Coast Bicycles had contacted me and wanted to know if I was still interested in one and they would be willing to order one and hold it for a couple of weeks. So, needless to say the anticipation was high for me.

when I walked in to the shop I was greeted by a very nice staff that was eager to help without being "pushy". I like that in a bike shop. They asked what I might be looking for and I simply pointed to the Transport and told them I was there to pick THAT up!!!!! Their expressions were well worth that!!!!!

At East Coast Bicycles on October 10th

I took the bike out for the initial "test ride" even though I knew it would be going home with me. Basically, just to check and make sure that everything had been assembled correctly and there weren't any "bugs" that might be a pain in the butt right out of the gate.

everything was in perfect working order so I made the purchase, along with a few other items that were needed. Michael Shipp was nice enough to load the bike up on to a vehicle and give me a ride relatively close to my home as I live on the other side of a bridge/tunnel that is interstate traffic only.

The first "real world" ride was about a 7 mile trip. Operating the transport seemed to be a breeze. Gears shifting like they are supposed to. Pedaling was easy in all of the settings. The length of the bike didn't seem to be a problem. Until I stopped at a 7-11 for a Gatorade and realized that I couldn't "cut a corner" quite like I used to. Dammit, first scratch.....

Finally got the Transport home...YAY...where I could start my personal tweaking....

First photo at home October 10th

The next few days were filled with rain. Not good for someone that's been itching to ride for MONTHS and now has a new ride. But I muddled through and added a homemade PVC detachable extension for the fold down rear racks. I added this to make it a little easier to put grocery bags and other relative small items on them and use fewer bungee cords.

The fold down rear racks are a GREAT idea. Makes it quite easy to pick up those loads you are not expecting as they are always there and fold up and out of the way quite nicely. They also make it VERY easy to transport by car when needed.

Well, I finally got to make a loaded trip a few weeks later with a trip to Lowes to pick up a few items. I took the bag that comes with the bike along with me. I actually rolled the bike into the store while shopping. That allowed for a lot of questions from both employees AND shoppers. Took me a lot longer than I had planned. But I am always willing to talk to someone that seems interested in the bike. Little did I know that this would be just the start of many questions almost every time I stopped someplace.....

I took my purchase outside and proceeded to load the bike up. Making a cardinal mistake, I loaded a little too much on one side and the bike started to tip. Readjustments were made to the load. But I realized that the center stand that comes with the bike could have been designed just a little bit wider and, perhaps, made a bit "beefier".

The front fork spring stabilizer worked great for the load that I had strapped on the front basket type rack. Although that too could be use a stronger spring or, perhaps, a different setup. Something I am tinkering on now.....

Handling with a load of about 75 pounds was reasonably good. The back felt a little on the froggy side. Well, that was expected since this was my first time loading the bike.

Riding back home was easy. There aren't a lot of hills in the area but I did have to pull up a hill to go over the interstate and it seemed to roll along with little effort on my part. Shifting while going up the hill was not an issues and didn't seem to strain anything.

Heading out for that first load

I have added a ton of extras. Mainly safety thing like lights and a loud horn. Anyone that has looked at my posts can see those.

All in all the Transport is a great ride. For me it was the perfect choice. I strongly recommend to others that are considering a cargo cycle to do your research, test ride, and choose the best ride that fits YOUR style. Everyone has a different reason for getting one of these huge machines. But, if you are considering one, then you probably will put it to very good use.

A small suggestion to Trek. Try and make the center stand a bit stronger and wider. And try to get the front fork stabilizer designed a bit differently.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me or post a response here. I'll be happy to answer......

The Beastrider with THE BEAST

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice info on the Beast... And the best part of your story is you got it on my B-Day well now that I said that i am thinking Man I'm getting old Hmmm 56 to 2012 OUCH ! Anyway I think you have a great ride and the lights should help you on nights rides.And I need to add a few lights to my BD as well.I think all cargo bikes has good and bad points to them.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Nice info on the Beast... And the best part of your story is you got it on my B-Day well now that I said that i am thinking Man I'm getting old Hmmm 56 to 2012 OUCH ! Anyway I think you have a great ride and the lights should help you on nights rides.And I need to add a few lights to my BD as well.I think all cargo bikes has good and bad points to them.
    Agreed. Good and bad to all of them. But it still boils down to a matter of what YOU are going to do with the bike.

I sent you an email with the info on the lights too.

I just added a set of faux wood fenders to it too. They really make the bike "pop". Now I just have to find a decent set of white wall tires and that will REALLY set things off!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Got your E-Mail trying to get out of the house today the weather is nice but I have wife do's lol to do first.I need pics of your new setup when you have time.I think a cargo bike cost to much it never ends what I want next to add to it lol...Some bike look's cool with wood fenders on them did you ever get wood on the front rack?Ahh white wall tires they always look good to me.

Beastrider
    Got your E-Mail trying to get out of the house today the weather is nice but I have wife do's lol to do first.I need pics of your new setup when you have time.I think a cargo bike cost to much it never ends what I want next to add to it lol...Some bike look's cool with wood fenders on them did you ever get wood on the front rack?Ahh white wall tires they always look good to me.
    Never did get the wood on the front rack. Thanks for reminding me!!!!! That's yet ANOTHER thing I need to work on. Photos on the way....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For the wood working I use what is left of my dads tools he had.We did a lot of wood working back a few years ago was a lot of fun working with him I learn a lot from him but time took him from me too.If you have a small bandsaw and a dremel tool you are set.You can cut notch you name it all very easy with just a few tools.I'm working on my BD here adding a set of barends to it.The Orgin8 they look good on it but I want to wrap them so they do't get to hot to handle in the summer time or to cold in the winter.I still need to go look at the lights you told me about maybe this weekend I will have the time.Thanks for the info.Can't wait to see the tires you put on the Beast.

Beastrider
    For the wood working I use what is left of my dads tools he had.We did a lot of wood working back a few years ago was a lot of fun working with him I learn a lot from him but time took him from me too.If you have a small bandsaw and a dremel tool you are set.You can cut notch you name it all very easy with just a few tools.I'm working on my BD here adding a set of barends to it.The Orgin8 they look good on it but I want to wrap them so they do't get to hot to handle in the summer time or to cold in the winter.I still need to go look at the lights you told me about maybe this weekend I will have the time.Thanks for the info.Can't wait to see the tires you put on the Beast.
    No woodworking tools here. Just some very basic hand tools and, of course, the required bike tools. I'll figure something out though eventually.

I can't recall ever having a problem with bar-ends being too hot or cold. But then I always have something on my hands. Whether it's a full pair of gloves when cold or the fingerless type. Just in case of falling as the first thing someone does is stick their hand out to brace themselves.