Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 2 kids on back?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,365

    2 kids on back?

    I've got a Mundo and regularly carry my 2 kids aged 6 and 3. The 3 year old is in the child seat, while the 6 year old hangs onto the stoker bar.


    photo by guruatma, on Flickr


    But now the little guy is getting too big for the child seat. I figure I'd have him up front with big bro in back, both holding on to a bar. But I need a bar that sweeps way back so they both can reach.

    Any ideas on how the back passenger has something to hold on to?
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Agent Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    88
    A Hooptie ?
    Maybe you could adapt it on the Mundo...
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Koala View Post
    A Hooptie ?
    Maybe you could adapt it on the Mundo...
    That look interesting. It looks like it would be hard for kids to get on/off the bike on their own, which my front passenger can do now. I was thinking something like really long cruiser bars that can maybe pivot up to get on/off the bike.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    That look interesting. It looks like it would be hard for kids to get on/off the bike on their own, which my front passenger can do now. I was thinking something like really long cruiser bars that can maybe pivot up to get on/off the bike.
    Here is my setup, it is similar to your situation, although I do not yet have both kids on the back. I got a long stem off of ebay for $10, took the handle off of a fertilizer spreader, bolted a piece of 7/8 aluminum to the underside of my deck, connected em all up, leaving the "handlebar" connection just a bit loose so that it could pivot up and down. Still needs some finishing touches, wrap bar, cut off excess tube, paint, etc. but it is working very well so far. Next spring my little guy will be big enough to ride on the back with his big bro, I will probably extend the bar a bit further back and take the seat out of the side car and mount it to the deck. This will keep him from falling off the back and still allow me to belt him in. Given the age of your kids, you could probably just leave the back end open, or put a small board there just in case. Also, you have it easy as you just need to find the handlebar and can connect it into your seat post mounted stem.

    Lawn mowers, fertilizers, they have the perfect size bars for this.....



  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    Here is my setup, it is similar to your situation, although I do not yet have both kids on the back. I got a long stem off of ebay for $10, took the handle off of a fertilizer spreader, bolted a piece of 7/8 aluminum to the underside of my deck, connected em all up, leaving the "handlebar" connection just a bit loose so that it could pivot up and down. Still needs some finishing touches, wrap bar, cut off excess tube, paint, etc. but it is working very well so far. Next spring my little guy will be big enough to ride on the back with his big bro, I will probably extend the bar a bit further back and take the seat out of the side car and mount it to the deck. This will keep him from falling off the back and still allow me to belt him in. Given the age of your kids, you could probably just leave the back end open, or put a small board there just in case. Also, you have it easy as you just need to find the handlebar and can connect it into your seat post mounted stem.

    Lawn mowers, fertilizers, they have the perfect size bars for this.....

    That's the exact thing I was thinking of. Looks great. Are the bars very flexy as they extend back so far? Can your kids (or at least the big one) move the bars and get on and off by himself?

    Looks great!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    I use a Velo Orange Belleville bar. I have an xtracycle conversion. My 3 year old holds onto the flat portion and one of my older children holds on to the extended portion.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    That's the exact thing I was thinking of. Looks great. Are the bars very flexy as they extend back so far? Can your kids (or at least the big one) move the bars and get on and off by himself?

    Looks great!
    Thanks.

    No, bars are not flexy, the only issue is that there is no stop for the bars, meaning you can just continue to push them down.

    Yes, my oldest (4) is able to operate the bars himself.

    I've been thinking a bit more about how I will set this up when both kids are on the deck. I for sure will have a vertical piece at the back of the deck and extend the bars all the way to it, likely having the bars rest on some type of other bar mounted to the seat back.

    Something like this, but at the very back of the deck, you'll have to use your imagination a bit.


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    Thanks.

    No, bars are not flexy, the only issue is that there is no stop for the bars, meaning you can just continue to push them down.

    Yes, my oldest (4) is able to operate the bars himself.

    I've been thinking a bit more about how I will set this up when both kids are on the deck. I for sure will have a vertical piece at the back of the deck and extend the bars all the way to it, likely having the bars rest on some type of other bar mounted to the seat back.

    Something like this, but at the very back of the deck, you'll have to use your imagination a bit.


    I plan on putting my older kid in back. Right now he's in front, and has never had an issue of leaning/falling backwards. I'll put the little guy up front so in case he falls asleep, big brother can hold on to him until I can pull over.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  9. #9
    Longleaf Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    I figure I'd have him up front with big bro in back, both holding on to a bar. But I need a bar that sweeps way back so they both can reach.

    Any ideas on how the back passenger has something to hold on to?
    Here's what I did on the BD I just built up:

    I took the tallest ape-hanger cruiser bars I could find and chopped off the ends. All the ape-hanger I found used 22.2mm handlebar clamp diameters so to do this you'll need a 22.2 to 25.4 shim for you stoker stem. I added some bar ends so the rear rider would have another hand position. Without the bar ends his hand position seemed too narrow to be comfortable for his body.



    (The child who rides in the rear insisted on wrapping his section of the bars without any help.)

    My three year old girl rides in front. My five year old boy rides in back. As others have mentioned I think the older child in back makes most sense so they can make sure the smallest child doesn't go to sleep and plop off the bike.



    If anyone is interested I can dig up the part number of the cruiser bars I used. The bars come back far enough that even if the rear child sat at the very end of the deck he could still reach the bars.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,365
    That looks great. So I guess both kids get on the back and scoot forward? Is it easy enough for them to get on an off on their own?

    I'd appreciate info on the part number.

    Thanks!





    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    Here's what I did on the BD I just built up:

    I took the tallest ape-hanger cruiser bars I could find and chopped off the ends. All the ape-hanger I found used 22.2mm handlebar clamp diameters so to do this you'll need a 22.2 to 25.4 shim for you stoker stem. I added some bar ends so the rear rider would have another hand position. Without the bar ends his hand position seemed too narrow to be comfortable for his body.



    (The child who rides in the rear insisted on wrapping his section of the bars without any help.)

    My three year old girl rides in front. My five year old boy rides in back. As others have mentioned I think the older child in back makes most sense so they can make sure the smallest child doesn't go to sleep and plop off the bike.



    If anyone is interested I can dig up the part number of the cruiser bars I used. The bars come back far enough that even if the rear child sat at the very end of the deck he could still reach the bars.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  11. #11
    Longleaf Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    That looks great. So I guess both kids get on the back and scoot forward? Is it easy enough for them to get on an off on their own?

    I'd appreciate info on the part number.

    Thanks!
    It seems easy enough. I have the wide kickstand and the kickstand stabilizers so on flat ground it doesn't concern me to have the kids climbing on the bike. The girl who rides in front is small enough that she shimmies up into her seat in the space between the bar and the deck and she slides out the same way. The boy throws a leg over the back and scoots forward. The same method would be easier for the little girl as well, but she thinks the other way is more fun. Sometimes I just pick her up and plop her on because the activity morphs from "getting on the bike and sitting on my seat" to "climbing all over the bike like a monkey." Your mileage may vary.

    The bar is a Sunlite Dyno Cruiser Bar 32" wide x25" high x 22.2 diameter. Part number is 33501. 33103 is the part number for the 22.2 to 25.4 shim to go with them. If you are getting your local shop to order them for you tell them those are the J&B part numbers.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    27
    Hi,

    these are brilliant solutions! The hooptie is much too expensive, and unavailable for the moment.
    I will get my FreeRadical sometimes next week.
    I'd like to ride the bike with my 5yo twins to school, so this kind of inexpensive and clever solutions are welcome.
    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Longleaf Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by tractopelle View Post
    Hi,

    these are brilliant solutions! The hooptie is much too expensive, and unavailable for the moment.
    In my mind the other problem with the hoop tie is that it only works with the flightdeck. The padding of the magic carpet (which is incompatible with the flight deck) is superb. Xtracycle!chose a very nice, dense padding that gives a little bt not too much. I tried to talk my kids into the hooptie, but when they found out it meant losing the magic carpet the deal was killed. Im not sure we always appreciate how bumpy riding can be for kids. They often sit directly over a wheel and, unlike the rider, they don't usually know how(or aren't able) to "unweight" themselves on big bumps. Even sitting on a sprung leather saddle with low pressure, wide tires I instintictively pick up my butt when we hit a bit road seam, rock, or root to avoid the discomfort of hitting them while seated.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    27
    You're right, I had forgotten about the hooptie only working with the flightdeck. I will get a NOS (2010) next week, with the Snapdeck, and not the FlightDeck.
    I hope to find quite easily parts in France to "finish" my XtraCycled bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •