Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

is your bike worth less than your car?

just curious - who's bike is worth more than their car? I can certainly afford a nicer car but love driving my "beater" around because I don't have to worry about it getting dirty or scratched when i'm lugging my bike around and throwing all my gear in the back. Plus I got two dogs that abuse the interior pretty bad. I got a 2013 Specialized Camber 29er comp that i bought for $1700 and my automotive is a 1993 infiniti I30 that is well beaten up.

I love seeing people driving their beaters with their mountain bikes strapped on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have two cars: a 1987 Civic I paid $1000 for and a 1991 Subaru Loyale wagon I paid $1200 for. All of my bikes are worth more than either of my cars - a couple of my bikes are worth more than both cars combined....

Basically, I value bikes more than cars. A car is merely transportation. A bike is an escape machine!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Basically, I value bikes more than cars. A car is merely transportation. A bike is an escape machine!
    amen!!! loving it...i think this is something only us mtn bikers can relate too.

mtbr member
    I'm hauling a 2k bike in a 1k truck. It's a '94 Mitsubishi Mighty Max that I've had for almost 12 years. Doesn't look like much but still runs great, so I drive it and spend my extra $$ on bikes and such.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by rachmak View Post
    - who's bike is worth more than their car?
    Didn't you just ask us who's bike is worth less than their car? I'm confused.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Didn't you just ask us who's bike is worth less than their car? I'm confused.
    you caught me...haha typo/mistake on my part...just having a fun post to see who spends more $$ on their bikes than their car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My grandaddy sold me my first car which is a 92 gmc serria reg cab for 1000 bucks, 12 years ago. I still drive it today and yes my bike cost more lol. Whats even better is shoot long range (my passion) so when I pull up at the range and pull my stick out from behind the seat that cost 15X my truck people think I am on dope or stupied or something. One day I will replace it but it will still be in the garage waiting for a trip to the range or trail head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    my car was a hand-me-down from my sister in law when i moved back to California. The sedan is certainly not your typical outdoorsman car but it gets me to the trailhead just fine

mtbr member
    My 2013 Intense Carbine SL is worth more than my 2000 Dodge Dakota and my commuter 2000 Infiniti I30. No car payment only liability insurance. Save for than next carbon part I don't need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yep i have more money in my bike than in my car. I like driving beaters too...i just have a hard time putting a lot of money into cars. I used to be all into them...back in high school. My bike brings me far more joy...

mtbr member
    A car is merely transportation. A bike is an escape machine!
    So true, yet so underrepresented in every zombie flick ever. My car is worth more monetarily than my bikes, but I appreciate my bikes more than my car.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    I definitely appreciate my vehicle (2003 Toyota 4 Runner) as I need it for camping, fishing, everyday driving for work and to get me and my Superfly to the trailhead of course!

However, the 4 Runner is the least expensive vehicle I have purchased or owned in almost 20 years!

I have been into muscle/sports cars since before I had my license but recently sold my last car/toy to take a break from all that and my neighbor talked me into getting my first mountain bike, I am glad he did. I am really enjoying learning to ride and meeting others in the hobby/recreation.

You could say I'm hooked!
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

ballbuster
    I think all of my bikes are worth more than both of our cars, but not any indivudual bike. I dunno... maybe. I paid $5500 for my A4 wagon with 135k miles on it 5 years ago. That one is up to 182k miles now. It's probably worth no more than $2.5k by now. The other 'nicer' car is probably worth about $7k if it were dent free. It has some minor cosmetic body damage that needs to be addressed, so in its current state, maybe $4.5k.

Also, I think my most bling bike is probably worth about $3-4k, if I paid full pop for all of those parts. I gotta say, tho... I got smoking deals on all the parts (swap meets, stuff on closeout, craigslist), so I didn't pay that much for it. Most of my other bikes are of pretty modest build.

Like others have said, it isn't what you paid for it, or what you can get for it. The important part is what it does for you. Reality is, I pretty much ride my singlespeed and my suspension geared bike most of the time. the other 3 or 5 bikes just sit around and collect dust, mostly. I built a bikepacking bike out of stuff laying around in the parts bin that has not seen more than 20 miles of test riding, a cross bike that has been 90% complete (and unrideable) for six months waiting for me to be less lazy about completing it (and cross season is here!), and my hardtail has been idle for 4 months waiting for me to get around to installing a headset that I removed to sell with another frame.

Wait... isn't this question a bit like asking a rancher how many head of cattle he has, or how much money somebody makes? Is it like asking a singlespeeder's gear ratio?

mtbr member
    My bike is worth about 2x (at LEAST) more than my 97 Grand Cherokee. I love my bike and hate my Jeep.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    My Mukluk is worth 1000.
    My Anthem is worth 1500.
    My wifes Talon is worth 800.
    Wifes FCR is worth 400.

Thats 3200 in bikes....

Wifes Traverse is worth about 24000.
    My Raptor is worth about 50000.

But i have to have a truck to tow the boat, and the wife needs a big vehicle for hauling kids. And we live in michigan, where a family bike commute with 2 year old is just out of the question 8 months out of the year. So vehicles are a necessity, plus im a gear-head.

The Mud Stud
    I have two cars: a 1987 Civic I paid $1000 for and a 1991 Subaru Loyale wagon I paid $1200 for. All of my bikes are worth more than either of my cars - a couple of my bikes are worth more than both cars combined....

You have much to learn about cars my friend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Oh my yes - I daily drive a 1999 Chevy Lumina that's been in two wrecks. The thing still pulls strong, so hey, why replace it? 140,000 miles going strong. Probably worth in the $500 to $700 range. It carries my Gunnar Rockhound that cost me $3600... priorities...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    Oh my yes - I daily drive a 1999 Chevy Lumina that's been in two wrecks. The thing still pulls strong, so hey, why replace it? 140,000 miles going strong. Probably worth in the $500 to $700 range. It carries my Gunnar Rockhound that cost me $3600... priorities...
    *sighs* i miss my Lumina, it was a good driver. Camshaft broke in the 3.1 at around 169k . Apparently that was a common issue with the 3.1s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: is your bike worth less than your car?

Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    , plus im a gear-head.
    I'm a gear head as well but how do you justify a $50k truck? A gas truck nonetheless. I will never understand the logic in paying that much for a gas truck. Apart from the power train (and in the raptors case the suspension), what makes a truck cost that much besides the market? Serious question by the way, I've always been curious.

There's no way a four door truck should cost that much, it's absurd.

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    1994 toyota paseo with 222k miles. I bought a hitch and rack for it, use it to haul a trek stache 8 and pivot mach 4 around. I just change the oil and the car refuses to die. Hoping to get 300k out of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaketparker View Post
    1994 toyota paseo with 222k miles. I bought a hitch and rack for it, use it to haul a trek stache 8 and pivot mach 4 around. I just change the oil and the car refuses to die. Hoping to get 300k out of it.
    And you probably will.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i keep on saying that i will get a new car when this one dies but i have a late 90's japanese sedan and this beater refuses to croak. It's pretty hilarious as it was once a luxury sedan (infiniti i30) but has now turned into a mountain bike, outdoor gear, and dog hauler

mtbr member
    bikes are the priority!

1993 mazda b2600.. probably worth like $2000
    2013 giant glory 0, new like 5500-6000, probably worth 2500 ballpark
    2013 kona process, lot's of upgrades probably $4000 put into it

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    just spent $14 on a jug of coolant but the bike is still worth more than the car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast