Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cheers!

Flaccid Member
    One of my many TDI's that have hauled my Mtn bikes in the past 5 or 6 years.

"i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'm thinking of using the 2002 Audi allroad solely as a weekender. What year Jetta Sportwagens were the best? Should I get TDI or FSI/DSG/6MT?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    One of my many TDI's that have hauled my Mtn bikes in the past 5 or 6 years.

Was going to comment on the extreme stack of spacers but then saw the username.

Is the Touareg TDi a new pick up for you? What's real world mpg you're getting in it?

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Was going to comment on the extreme stack of spacers but then saw the username.

Is the Touareg TDi a new pick up for you? What's real world mpg you're getting in it?
    Well, that depends how and where I drive.... life time average of 32.1 MPG.... but 90% of that mileage is on interstate at 65 MPH.... go over 65 and the aerodynamics of a 5000 pound SUV will start sucking your fuel tank dry quite fast. My all time best MPG on a tank was 37.0, but that was perfect weather conditions, 82F in the desert and no air conditioning running or windows down. City, I'll see about 24 or 25 mpg, but I drive it quite gently around town, brakes and tires on this thing are spendy, gotta make them last.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

https://picasaweb.google.com/1048761...9459551/Jetta#
    Just bought my first VW yesterday. 04 TDI yeah but automatic noooo. Got it from the original owners with a stack of maintenance records all work done at a VW dealer. 212k miles but new cam and timing belt a few thousand miles ago. Got it way cheaper than they normally go for around here. Never owned a diesel before and have been wanting one to play with for awhile but they are usually insanely priced so I didn't think I'd ever pick one up.

mtbr member
    I have toyed with the idea of ditching my Jetta for a '00-'05 BMW 32x wagon..but every time I drive it, I just can't bring myself to do it!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Well, that depends how and where I drive.... life time average of 32.1 MPG.... but 90% of that mileage is on interstate at 65 MPH.... go over 65 and the aerodynamics of a 5000 pound SUV will start sucking your fuel tank dry quite fast. My all time best MPG on a tank was 37.0, but that was perfect weather conditions, 82F in the desert and no air conditioning running or windows down. City, I'll see about 24 or 25 mpg, but I drive it quite gently around town, brakes and tires on this thing are spendy, gotta make them last.
    That's not bad. I'm secretly waiting for the GTD to make it stateside in the MK7 platform.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    That's not bad. I'm secretly waiting for the GTD to make it stateside in the MK7 platform.
    The line is long on that one... doubt it will pass CARB standards for clean air.

mtbr member
    Recently traded in my 2006 Passat for a 2009 CC with only 2800 miles on it. Now my Thule Raceway 9001 isn't compatible. Looking for suggestions as I might have to go the OEM roof rack route.

Yeah I said it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1353949068583.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    install a class 1 receiver

buy a 1up rack

ballbuster

Yeah, totally

Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    install a class 1 receiver

buy a 1up rack

mtbr member
    yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354415300.086706.jpg

What's not to like?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I'm thinking of using the 2002 Audi allroad solely as a weekender. What year Jetta Sportwagens were the best? Should I get TDI or FSI/DSG/6MT?
    I would get a 6MT myself. The DSG is supposedly (never drove one myself) awesome for an automatic (it's basically a computer controlled manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch), but that DSG needs some expensive periodic maintenance.

Personally, I like to operate my own clutch and shift my own gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I would get a 6MT myself. The DSG is supposedly (never drove one myself) awesome for an automatic (it's basically a computer controlled manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch), but that DSG needs some expensive periodic maintenance.

Personally, I like to operate my own clutch and shift my own gears.
    6MT all the way. As my mechanic is fond of saying, "I'd rather replace a clutch than a transmission".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    6MT all the way. As my mechanic is fond of saying, "I'd rather replace a clutch than a transmission".
    DSG has 2 clutches

ballbuster

Heh...

Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    DSG has 2 clutches
    And it seems they last a very long time, unlike traditional manual transmissions' clutches when in the wrong hands, or in the hands of somebody who lives in San Francisco on top of a hill.

The transmissions do well, too. But, some of the earlier DSGs had issues with the controllers failing... and they happen to be installed inside the transmission. I read somewhere they solved that issue with the later DSGs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but how much does putting a roof rack on really affect gas mileage? I've always been able to stuff my 20" in the backseat of my 02 Jetta, but now that I want a 29er I'll need a rack. I figure my car is too small for the hitch racks. Are the Yakima whisp bars worth the extra money?

Elitest thrill junkie
    10% hit is fairly common without bikes. With bikes, more like 15-20%.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

ballbuster

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    10% hit is fairly common without bikes. With bikes, more like 15-20%.
    ... that's about right. And don't forget about the noise.

Best bet for a rack without much gas mileage hit is to get a hitch rack. With a Jetta, you will still have some bike poking up in the wind stream, so there will still be a hit. Not as bad as with roof racks, tho.

Plus, hitch racks won't jack up your paint.

Have you tried putting the bike in the trunk, both wheels off? I used to be able to put my bike in the trunk both wheels off and seatpost out in my wife's MK3 Jetta VR6. The newer Jettas are even bigger. Stealth!! My A4 trunk is a bit too narrow to do that. I have to take my stem and bars off.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-05-2012 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I would try the trunk buuuuut... There's a sub back there. I was looking at the Yakima Holdup for a hitch rack, I feel like those are huge from seeing them in pictures?

mtbr member
    OK, I'm here to defend the roof rack. It does the job, looks good with or w/o bikes, I really don't care if there's a mileage hit or not. I don't worry about getting rear-ended and have never rammed my car into the garage with bikes on it.

I had a '04 STi and a hitch rack. I could not see out the rear window with the stupid wing and bikes on the rack. Hard to go fast when you can't spot what's following or coming up behind you.

Anyway I picked up a Lefty this year and added a 1up roof rail to the top along with the Thules.

Well also it's a R32 with the centered dual exhausts which limits any easy hitch solution.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    OK, I'm here to defend the roof rack. It does the job, looks good with or w/o bikes, I really don't care if there's a mileage hit or not. I don't worry about getting rear-ended and have never rammed my car into the garage with bikes on it.

I had a '04 STi and a hitch rack. I could not see out the rear window with the stupid wing and bikes on the rack. Hard to go fast when you can't spot what's following or coming up behind you.

Anyway I picked up a Lefty this year and added a 1up roof rail to the top along with the Thules.

Well also it's a R32 with the centered dual exhausts which limits any easy hitch solution.
    If you had an 04 STI and a wing, you couldn't see out the rear window anyways. I had an 04 wrx with a hitch rack and could see out there fine. Now I have a camaro SS and I REALLY can't F-ing see outside my car, haha.

I still don't get how adding stuff sticking out of the roof or somewhere else looks "good". In fact, one of the reasons I have a hitch is because I want minimal interference with how my car looks, I consider it a pretty small hit though because you can only see it if you are really trying and only from a couple vantage points. Forgive me here if this comes off wrong, but do people really think it looks "good" to have obtuse stuff hanging off your car that isn't part of the original body plan, or is it some kind of a status-symbol thing to have a roof-rack (even when it's not being used)? I'm leaning towards the latter, but since I don't understand it, I really don't know.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice rides!!!!

I near stock MK5 GTI. My issue is, I just got a bike, before I was planning since it wsa a steal. Now I have no way to carry it, it barley fits in the trunk(2010 GF X-Cal 29er).

Has anyone put a hatch mount rack on? The straps would go over the spoiler and put stress on it. Anyone get around this? I am looking for a cheap/fast way out until I can get a goot rof rack.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Nb

Here is my NB! I have the roof rack w/ 2 sets of trays (fork mount and frame mount) I also have a hitch installed and a Kuat NV rack for it.

The Bug is sitting on Bilstein Race struts with H&R race springs. 16in Enkei FPR1's wrapped in BFG rubber. Neuspeed stainless lines and a Deisel Geek FMJ skidplate. Intake has a Neuspeed "cold air" induct. Its a 2.slow, thinking about camshaft and supercharger in the future!

A work in progress...

(sorry for the crappy low light cell phone pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-iphone9_18_12-004.jpg  

ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast