Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Curb Jumper
    Went for a little late-night photo shoot the other evening...

Time Machine by FLWill, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Some great pics in here. Can't post photos yet but I'm using a Mk3 Scirocco as our only car at the moment, so it is put to service every weekend with a bike in the boot (with seats folded) or on the roof. Has the advantaged of meaning that I can have a bit of the fun on the way to XC races as well as when I get there.

mtbr member
    More recent photos of my MKV Rabbit after a much needed wax. Just turned over 100k last week. Aside from some recent issues towards the end of the extended warranty this has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned:

My brother drew this based off the above photo:
    Signature

ballbuster

Heh..

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    my "olga".
    Another Passat from Inglostadt!

Digging my B5 and B6 A4s.

My wife's car developed a leak on the turbo return oil line, tho. It drips a bit. I'm going to let the mechanic get his hands dirty on that one. He says it's about a $300 job. The AC compressor has to come out to get to the return line, apparently. I just did the left front drive shaft. $80 from Autozone, and I did it myself in 90 minutes, including getting the car off the ground.

Still running strong, tho. Not bad for a 163k mile car.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelmix View Post
    Some great pics in here. Can't post photos yet but I'm using a Mk3 Scirocco as our only car at the moment, so it is put to service every weekend with a bike in the boot (with seats folded) or on the roof. Has the advantaged of meaning that I can have a bit of the fun on the way to XC races as well as when I get there.

MK3 Scirocco? You mean the brand new generation? Nice! I wish they would bring that car over here to the states.

I drove a '79 for the longest time. I bought it when I was 18 in '88 with 103k miles on it, and ran it up to 310k miles before I sold it. It was still running great, but the gas tank started leaking out the top. If I parked on a hill with a full tank, it would smell like gas fumes in the car.

Man, I wish I had pics of that car. It was ugly. The hood was badly repainted, and orange peeling off. I put on a Kamai air dam that I never had panted to match. I removed the EGR system and put in fuel injection from a later Rabbit to get the whole oxygen sensor controls. The thing got like 35 mpg on the freeway, and still had some pull to it.

mtbr member
    Added another VW to the stable. We found this low mile used 2010 Tiguan S at a great price. Going to put a hitch on it and go with a hitch mount rack. Same goes with the Rabbit. I can't seem to get more than 26mpg running around with the roof rack all the time. Probably go with the 1up since it is expandable and comes 2" and 1.25" capable...Tig can take a 2" but the biggest I can go with the Rabbit is a 1.25" (odd considering they are essentially the same car).

Signature

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    RandyBoy, do you feel the 140 hp is enough for such a big car like the Passat? I'm sold on TDi for sure, even missed out on getting the MKIV.5 GLI and settled for my WRX in 2005 but I can't wait to get out of it when it's going to my brother next year. Always been a dubber at heart, but I just can't make up my mind, GTI 5-dr, GLI, or a TDI Passat/Jetta/Golf. I would love a GTD here, That would be an easy decision to make.
    You are asking the wrong guy... I drive my Passat for economy, always.... 48 MPG lifetime average so far over 7000 miles. I've logged what it does with VCDS software, and the turbo will pull 22 pounds of boost at 1500-1600 rpm.

VW's, in general, are quirky, diesel VW's such as TDI's, more so. TDI's are not for every body, they have expensive parts and expensive lubrication needs, and are maintenance whores, they need lots of attention in that department. If you are OK with that, and drive a diesel like you are supposed to, long, steady state drives with cruise control on, on highways and interstate, they are great... If you still drive like a kid, or aggressively, and want to continually race from red light tored light, and are abusive, they will reward you with failure and huge repair bills.

I see the passat tdi as something for the late 30's to 50's age crowd... without the angst in their pants any more. YMMV, cheap lazy owners and TDI's make poor partners.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    This was my MKV GTI...sold it a little over a year ago...great car. Miss it at times, APR tuned, exhaust, suspension etc...The Thule def cut my mpg a good amount (down to about 22-23 with just the rack and below 20 with bikes attached).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-52214_521918594985_5932349_o.jpg  

yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-57460_521918580015_2610772_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I can't create a thread yet because of my low post count, so I'll try to ask my question here (and resurrect this thread)...

To all the wagon owners: Why do you all seem to use roof or hitch racks? Do your bikes not fit in the back with the seats down? I'm considering a Sportwagen for my next car, and a big part of the appeal would be fitting my bike in the back without removing a wheel. If I'm forced to use a rack I might be better off with a Golf.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I often put two kids 24" bikes in the back without taking off any wheels. two 26" adult bikes is much tighter and more likely to get wheel marks on the fabric.

Even with just one bike, I generally prefer to put it on the hitch rack so I don't drip mud or water or whatever inside the car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbwill View Post
    I often put two kids 24" bikes in the back without taking off any wheels. two 26" adult bikes is much tighter and more likely to get wheel marks on the fabric.

Even with just one bike, I generally prefer to put it on the hitch rack so I don't drip mud or water or whatever inside the car.
    Ah, that makes plenty of sense and is actually one of my concerns. I like to think my bike stays slightly cleaner because there isn't much mud or water to deal with here in Southern California, but I don't pay much attention since I'm tossing the bike in the back of my truck (for now).

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    I can't create a thread yet because of my low post count, so I'll try to ask my question here (and resurrect this thread)...

To all the wagon owners: Why do you all seem to use roof or hitch racks? Do your bikes not fit in the back with the seats down? I'm considering a Sportwagen for my next car, and a big part of the appeal would be fitting my bike in the back without removing a wheel. If I'm forced to use a rack I might be better off with a Golf.
    My A4 Avant (well, my wife's) and my A4 Sedan both have kiddie rocket chairs in the back seat. It's a PITA to take them out.

The B6 Avant is surprisingly not spacious inside for cargo. I could get a bike in our old MK3 Jetta's trunk with both wheels off, but I can't get one behind the back seat of the Avant (seat up). It isn't even close to working. I can't get a bike in the trunk of my B6 Sedan, unless I take the whees and handlebars off... with the seat up, that is. If I flatten the back seat, I can.

I hear the B7 Avants are a lot bigger in back.

But yeah, you can totally fit bikes back there if you can put the seats down. I ran my MK3 GTi that way for years before I got a hitch rack. It did tear up the top of the back seat, tho. If you do this, I suggest getting a quilted moving blanket and keep it back there for bike transport.

I'll often go out with the wife and kids for a ride around Angel Island State Park. I can get my bike and the wife's bike on the roof, both kids in their rocket chairs, and the Burley trailer folded down, wheels off behind the back seat and still have room for picnic bags.

A lot of us prefer hitch racks, because they are easier to load, and don't have the crazy wind noise and gas mileage hit of roof racks. I only have a hitch rack for my A4 Sedan. The wife's wagon has roof and hitch racks, but I usually only use the hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

my VW Pointer

here is mine!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-2012-04-15_18-43-21_777.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Here's my rides ride :-). 12 Audi A3 tdi using audi oem roof rack. Originally wanted to go hitch but was told would have to mount and drill in the wheel well which would have compromised my warranty. Best part is that I can fit my 29er in the trunk if I'm in a sketchy part of town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1350863873757.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My MK3 Golf with my purely-by-accident color coded Cannondale. I bought this beast for my ex girlfriend when she graduated high school in 2001, she got a MK4 a year later so I gave her the deposit on the 4 and I took over the 3. So I've had this for about 11 years. 3 paintjobs, 4 sets of wheels, 3 transmissions, 2 engines and about 250,000 miles. Next mod is an Autopower roll-ball and eventually a TDi swap. Yes, I want it to look fast but get 50mpg, haha. Azev A wheels are on the wish-list as well but i think this new MTB hobby is gonna get in the way.

yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350956775.262020.jpg

Picture Unrelated
    Bad photo but really nice car:

Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Did I catch a niner?

2000 Passat Wagon V6

Photobucket
    Car

Photobucket
    Car with rack

Photobucket
    Car with commuter bike on it (of all bikes hahaha)
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Where is all the forced-induction R32s????
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    * 1964 Beetle (2110 dual Weber 40 IDF engine)
    * 1973 Thing (rust bucket and desert beater
    * 2009 Rabbit (just traded in two weeks ago)
    * 2013 GTI (brand spankin' new)

No pictures with bikes though - they go in the back of my truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Love the bug and the thing. I need to pick up an air cooled, Clearly it's where all the cool kids hang out :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here is my current GTI next to a Scirocco just like the one I had in high school (mine was grey like GTI, not white).

yo yo yo Vdub thread!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352317278.127491.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    I've a 2010 Sportwagen, roof rack, hitch rack, and sometimes bikes inside. I like the versatility of being able to take 4 riders and 4 bikes with no transport damage, hence the two racks. I was putting my fatbike (16" Surly Pugs) in the back last winter, it just barely fit with both rear seats down and both wheels attached.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    2012 GTI - sunroof, Navigation, Bi-Xenon/AFS package w/ APR stage 2 flash, BSH race intake, Unitronc downpipe, Nuespeed throttle body pipe, torque mount insert, AWE turbo outlet pipe, S3 intercooler, ST coilovers.

mtbr member
    I've seen you a few weeks ago on Barrington and Golf. Along with a hitch rack. What wheels are those? From a distance I thought Volk SE37, but seeing pics now, definitely something else.

BTW, stock exhaust with the hitch?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    2012 GTI - sunroof, Navigation, Bi-Xenon/AFS package w/ APR stage 2 flash, BSH race intake, Unitronc downpipe, Nuespeed throttle body pipe, torque mount insert, AWE turbo outlet pipe, S3 intercooler, ST coilovers.

Nice build, very clean.

I didn't mention but mine has a GIAC Stage 1 chip and Neuspeed springs. Still running stock shocks until they wear out but will switch to Bilsteins at that point. Love this car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I've seen you a few weeks ago on Barrington and Golf. Along with a hitch rack. What wheels are those? From a distance I thought Volk SE37, but seeing pics now, definitely something else.

BTW, stock exhaust with the hitch?
    The wheels are Tenzo something or other, I don't remember which model specifically (I'm thinking Type M Version 2 but I might be making that up). A couple weeks ago Inlived right off Barrington and Higgins but now I live in Colorado. The catback is stock for a couple reasons, to clear the hitch, I like it quiet, and the 3-5 hp gain people dyno from changing it doesn't justify the expense.

I may swap out the coilovers for drivers gear springs, it's a bit to low for Colorado.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast