Snap Crackle Pop

Yakima Viper Brake Clearance Issue??

I normally use a hitch rack for my bikes but I am going on vacation and pulling my camper so I just pieced together a used Yakima roof rack with Viper bike trays for the trip. Turns out the brakes on my wifes Felt Q620 don't clear the viper mount by just a little bit. The brakes on my Nine Sport clear becauset the 29" wheels changes the angle enough to give it the proper clearance. I've searched and couldn't find any kind of spacer so I was considering taking my dremel and removing a couple millimeters of material to provide enough clearance for the caliper. I'll have to admit, I am not real stoked about this method, but I don't think it will really compromise the strength of the mount. What do you folks think.

This is where it's hitting:

This gives you an idea of how much it has to come down:

This is the area that would need material removed:

The other option is, there are a couple of Frontloaders on Craiglist about an hour away for $150/pr. From what I can tell, they are the ones that were recalled. I am not sure if I purchase them, if Yakima would exchange them and if so, would it be in time for me to leave for my trip on July 22nd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    a lot of people just grind away the piece thats in the way.

code: mtbr2011
    while alot of people grind away the piece that's in the way, that is usually on the bike tray itself, not on the head of the viper like this situation....

however, it looks like a couple mm need to come away, so I'd just put a dremel or a file on it and file it down so that caliper will fit in there...I wouldn't expect it to affect the integrity of the rack.

Snap Crackle Pop
    Thanks for the responses. Too bad there is not way to replace the two round pieces on the Viper head that fit into the inside of the fork. If one was a little short and one a little longer it would probably bias the fork over to one side enough to clear the caliper and not effect the stability of the bike while loaded into the rack.