mtbr member

Yakima Swing Daddy 4 bike rack with women's 29er and kids bikes?

I am looking for a rack that will hold 4 bikes and really like the Yakima Swing Daddy. Anyone know if it will it fit a women's 29er, a girls 26" bike and a boys 24"? I see there is a sparehand bike frame adaptor I may or may not need to buy to get them to fit?

Any other recommendations? I don't want a platform rack btw. I will be driving down the AlCan this summer and am worried about one of those bottoming out.

Thank you,

mtbr member
    How much of your driving is off-road and what sort of vehicle are you putting the rack on? The reason I ask... if you are doing some mild off-road, racks that secure via the top-tube may not be your best choice. Bikes will sway and make contact with each other.
    The two racks on the market that are great for off-road use...
    1Up - very nice platform rack that should give nice ground clearance. However, with 4-bikes, the hangover (distance from bumper) is unsettling long (this is what kept me from buying one).
    North Shore Racks - Hold four bikes very well, great ground clearance, and a snap to load. The drawback... will not hold any bikes with a narrow crown (i.e. road, x-Bikes, BMX)...so it is mountain bike only. I own an NSR-4, and love it. Holds my son's 24" wheeled mountain bike, our fat bikes and the 9'er with ease.

mtbr member
    Currently I don't do any but once I get to OK I will. (or my brother will at least, I may never see my truck again) But it's more the ALCAN Highway I am worried about right now. It's a long way from Alaska to OK and the ALCAN, while paved, is pretty rough.

I drive a Chevy Silverado crew cab pickup with a cap on the back. It's going to be loaded full up and I am going to be pulling a 17' enclosed trailer (also packed full). I have a friend going to install a hitch on the back of my trailer for my bikes so I can haul them there. So the rack will be used on my truck (when I'm not towing my traielr) and my trailer both. The swing arm is not a must have it just sounded like a nice extra.

Thank you for your reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have the yakima swing daddy 4. It's a great rack with a good feature to prevent the bike from swaying.
    You may need an adaptor for your son's 24" bike.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the replies, I ended up getting the yakama double down ace for 4 bikes. It was on sale 25% off at REI, I decided I didn't need the swing out feature for $200 more dollars or so.

I'm glad I got this one, it's light weight and easy for me to take on and off the truck as needed and I can fit a Cannondale Tango 29"er women's bike, a step through women's bike Globe Carmel (my mom's) with an adapter, a 26" girls bike with adapter, and my son's 24" Giant on it. It's like putting together a puzzle at first to figure out which one goes where but once I got that figured it out and I can get them on pretty quick.

here is a photo
    Yakima Swing Daddy 4 bike rack with women's 29er and kids bikes?-bikerack.jpg