Special Lister

Yakima rolling roof rack.

Anyone have this bike trailer or any info? Looks like a nice idea but not sure of the cost and versatility is worth it.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Cost is not worth it. You can pick up small 4 foot by 4 foot utility trailers from places like Northern tool for $400 and then add the rack equipment for FAR less than the Yakima trailer. Then you also have a trailer you can use to haul more than just bikes.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have sold three of them they are pretty awesome if you can swing it, pretty pricey, $2200 or so great for people with smaller cars and need to transport kayaks, bikes, etc... or with more than one car used for transporting stuff. They are worth it if you can afford one. If you are transporting thousands of dollars of stuff, I would choose this over a DIY trailer that's for sure.

Special Lister
    I defiantly like the light weight tow ability nature of the trailer. I do wonder how far you should feel comfortable towing 4 bikes.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Good god. $2200 for a tiny little trailer? I didn't realize they were that much when I posted the first time. There is not really a THING that makes the trailer worth that much... $2200 will buy an Aluma aluminum utility trailer, all of the bike racks goods you need to fit it and still leave $$$ in your pocket. Then you can use the trailer to haul your bikes and all your camping equipment.

If you are transporting thousands of dollars of stuff, I would choose this over a DIY trailer that's for sure.
    If there is a concern about toting $1000s behind on a trailer, I would HIGHLY recommend not putting the bikes any where near a hitch or trailer. Both suffer the same type death in a rear end collision. Consider that landscape companies are towing around $10000s in the same types of DOT ceritified trailers....

And FWIW, neither the mentioned 4x4 trailer or the Aluma trailer are cheap "DIY" trailer.... both are DOT certified to carry a lot more than the Yakima's 250#.

The ONLY thing the Yakima has over a normal trailer are shocks.... and I am sure a trailer shop can take care of that on a utility trailer too.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    for $2200 i'd buy a small used camper and keep all my stuff inside, and sleep in it too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hahaha I am not going to argue with you guys, everything for carrying bikes and **** on your car is ridiculously over priced. this just comes with its own wheels, and folds up flat for storage against a wall in your garage. Its not for everybody.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FREE SHIPPING Northern Industrial Easy-to-Assemble Utility Trailer Kit 40in. x 48in. | Trailers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Leans up against a wall for storage and leaves you $2K. The Yakima is just painfully overpriced.
    Fat guys need bikes too.