mtbr member

Yakima King Cobra problems working with a fairing on the rack..

I just got a King Cobra off craigslist because I ordered a new bike that has a 15mm thru-axle and my copperheads won't accommodate it.. I know there is a adapter for it but I found a King Cobra on craigslist for about the same price. My problem is the adjustment screw that you tighten to snug your wheel on wont fit through the space between my Yakima fairing and the rack itself.. Messing with it while your bike is on your roof and getting it all tightened up just seems like more of a pain in the ass than taking your front wheel off and re-threading the axle to put it on your roof.. Anyone else had this problem with the King Cobra? Or am I doing something wrong?

code: mtbr2011
    known problem...you'd have to turn the cobra around and ride it backwards.
    otherwise you'd have to lose the fairing.
    always check to make sure the cobra is tight on the rack. there was also a known problem with the head of the carriage bolt that is in the bottom of the bike tray torquing loose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    known problem...you'd have to turn the cobra around and ride it backwards.
    otherwise you'd have to lose the fairing.
    always check to make sure the cobra is tight on the rack. there was also a known problem with the head of the carriage bolt that is in the bottom of the bike tray torquing loose.
    sold it on craigslist.. Got a rockymount drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I cut a 1 inch by 1 inch square out of the top of my fairing to allow for the adjustment screw to fit through. I works but this is defiantly a design flaw.