JKA
    mtbr member

Yakima hold up vs. Swagman Semi

Anyone have experience with both of these racks? They can both be configured to carry 2 or 4 bikes, are about the same price and look very similar. I've never used either, but would like input from someone who has tried both.

mtbr member
    I considered the Swagman but ultimately decided on the Yakima holdup. IMHO, the Yakima had several advantages over the Swagman:
    1. Tilt. The swagman has two positions. Yak has three positions: folded up, bike carrying position, and folded down. The lowered position means you can still access the rear cargo area, even with bikes loaded (depending on your vehicle). And unlike the Swagman which requires removing and replacing a pin, the Yak's pin is spring loaded and automatically snaps into place. Much easier.
    2. The yak is much narrower when not in use since the arms and trays fold in.
    3. Integrated locks. Yak has one for each bike, plus a hitch lock. The swagman has one cable that has to be looped around all bikes and then secured to the hitch. Besides being a pain in the arse, it means a thief only has to snip one cable to steal all of your bikes.
    4. Rear wheel cradles. The yak's pivot, so you never have to adjust the wheel straps. It's not a big deal, but it does save time.
    5. Stagger adjustment. With the Yak you can adjust each bike tray to slide left or right by a few inches, to avoid bar/saddle interference.
    6. Customer service. After I bought my Holdup and realized that it had difference lock cores than my Yakima roof box, I contacted Yakima to see what my options were for getting the same # core for both box and bike rack. They're sending me matching cores so I'll only need 1 key--free. That's Ibis-like customer service.

I hope that helps.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Great comments. Thank you. Does the Yakima have any type of "anti-rattle" device for the receiver? It drives me nuts when I put my old bike rack on and it shakes and rattles like a three legged washing machine on spin cycle.

mtbr member
    I hear you--my old rack swayed and jiggled all over the place. The yak is solid and silent. I've been amazed at how little movement there is. (I've got the 2" receiver).
    etrailer.com has some good info and videos on both the yak and swagman.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Yakima is a great piece...the 2" is solid in the hitch. The sub-frame that is adjustable does jiggle a tad, but nothing that you're going to hear or notice really. The major complaint for me is that I can't open my tailgate fully. Otherwise...great unit.

mtbr member
    Just to throw in another option...you should check out the Inno 305, which is what I use. I used a Thule 916 for awhile until the wheel holder scratched up my bumper so bad I just sold it and picked up the Inno rack, even though the Yakima Hold up was definitely my first option. What I love about the Inno is that you have the option to add 1 bike at a time instead of 2 like the Thule and Yakima. Its a beefy rack that can tilt to give you access to your tailgate whether you have bikes on them or not. Not rattling issues either.

Last edited by Shakester; 11-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.