mtbr member
    Jul 2007

yakima frontloader vs raptor aero

I planning to pick up a roof bike holder here really soon that will fit my factory bars and currently these are my two front runners. They are both around the same price and look like they would fit my bars. Right now the frontloader is in the lead since I think the frame clamp on the aero would interfere with bottle cages, pumps, and odd frame designs. The other thing that bothers me about the aero is I don't think you can lock the rack to the car and I worry somebody would steal it. Just wondering if anybody has these racks and how well they work or if there are others out there I should consider without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    I have the raptor (not the aero version though) so I'll give you my opinion on that-
    I bought it because i picked up a 98 honda civic 2 door as a commuter car. I didn't want to get the extension bar kit and the raptor allowed for the whole bike/tray to sit a bit further forward on the rails so the back end wasn't hanging so far out back. Most other of the racks clamp to the front bar near the front of the tray. The raptor clamps in about 10 inches behind the front tire.
    As for the rack. I have an Intense 5.5 with a pretty beefy downtube and a bottle cage and I also have a surley 1x1 with a real thin downtube and the clamping mechanism works fine. I do wish there was an additional 6 inches of tray to the rear because you have roll it forward as you lift up on the clamp bar. I also wish the trays were a tad bigger for larger tires that I run, 2.2-2.4 range, as they just barely fit in there.
    You can lock the tray to your cross bars and you can lock the clamp to the downtube.
    To lock it the bars you'll need: Yakima Racks & Carriers Shop Rack Systems Security SKS Accessory Housing
    As for clamp you just need a standard sks core lock. If you pick up a pair pair of lock cores and the accessory lock housing it will be good to go.
    Hope that helps with the raptor info....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks the raptor sitting forward more could be a big help but I'm not sure if it would sit far enough forward to help. Anyway I could get a measurement from the back of the rack to the front mount? My roof rack sit pretty far back and I know if I get the frontloader I'll have to mount the rack backward to be able to open my rear hatch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Thanks the raptor sitting forward more could be a big help but I'm not sure if it would sit far enough forward to help. Anyway I could get a measurement from the back of the rack to the front mount? My roof rack sit pretty far back and I know if I get the frontloader I'll have to mount the rack backward to be able to open my rear hatch.
    Here ya go:

from the front bar to the back of the tray: 42.5 inches
    from the front bar to the front of the tray: 10.5 inches
    from the rear bar to the back of the tray: 24.5 inches
    bars are spaced 16 inches apart

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awesome I'll check to see how it would fit in the morning.