mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Yakima Double Down 4 vs. Thule Roadway 4 vs. ????

Hi all:

Long time Yakima roof rack user but my new car is "unyakable" so I need to get a trailer hitch rack for our SUV. Looking for a 4 bike, 2" hitch rack. Haven't really used these before so I am sort of new to the features. The two in the title looked pretty good, but I defer to the expertise of those who have used this type of rask before.

We will be hauling two adult bikes (both road and mountain), two kids bikes, mostly to our local riding areas.

Many thanks,

MG

code: mtbr2011
    coke vs pepsi.
    probably the yakima may be slightly better made, but the thule rack has a nicer fold down mechanism for both bike arms and mast?

but really, you're splitting hairs when talking about these 2 racks.

is security an issue? what kind of vehicle are you using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Scott.

I figured it was six of one, half dozen of the other since nobody chimed in. After posting this and doing a bit more research I think I've decided to buy the kind that the wheels sit on. It seems the hanging types might have too much sway and cause the bikes to bang each other.

What do you recommend for the other "tray" type racks?

Going on a Lincoln Navigator. Two adult bikes and two kids bikes...so I need the trays to be adjustable for different size tires.

Thanks for the response.

MG

code: mtbr2011
    take a look at the yakima holdup and the thule t2...both excellent racks that will do what you need them to do.
    we have written some information about these 2 racks in our rack blog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also, for the high end, look at http://www.1upusa.com. Modular rack for 1-4 bikes, easy to remove, light weight, etc...

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreene
    Thanks Scott.

I figured it was six of one, half dozen of the other since nobody chimed in. After posting this and doing a bit more research I think I've decided to buy the kind that the wheels sit on. It seems the hanging types might have too much sway and cause the bikes to bang each other.

What do you recommend for the other "tray" type racks?

Going on a Lincoln Navigator. Two adult bikes and two kids bikes...so I need the trays to be adjustable for different size tires.

Thanks for the response.

MG
    Not an issue for the Thule with the anti-sway cages. I have the Thule Ridgeline 4-bike carrier. It does not sway at all, and the bikes definately don't bang against each other when properly secured. I prefered the Thule Ridgeline over a T2 because it gives me more ground clearance / departure angle.