Thread: Xterra or wait?

Single Speed Junkie

Xterra or wait?

Been considering a new vehicle and the Xterra looks pretty nice. I liked the way it drives and handles so another plus. Found a new (basic) Pro-4X and the dealer came down to 27,2 for a left over 2012 but that is a heck of a lot of money considering how quickly vehicles depreciate. This one will take a hit right off the bat as it is already a year old and don't want to take the loss of a new vehicle, then again I'd like something more comfortable for the family.

Wanted to ask if this is a decent price for the vehicle. For those that own one how have you liked the vehicle both short and long term views are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I don't know a lot about that car but TrueCar says that is good. Manual right?
    New 2012 Nissan Xterra Price Quote w/ MSRP and Invoice

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    Been considering a new vehicle and the Xterra looks pretty nice. I liked the way it drives and handles so another plus. Found a new (basic) Pro-4X and the dealer came down to 27,2 for a left over 2012 but that is a heck of a lot of money considering how quickly vehicles depreciate. This one will take a hit right off the bat as it is already a year old and don't want to take the loss of a new vehicle, then again I'd like something more comfortable for the family.

Wanted to ask if this is a decent price for the vehicle. For those that own one how have you liked the vehicle both short and long term views are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    I bought my wife a 2012 Xterra and we had it for about a year. Overall it's a nice little SUV that will depreciate fairly quickly. I think we paid around $26.5 for it - it was a Pro....

Compared to other small SUVs, Xterras are fairly light on amenities. They are also adorned with a lot of tupperware - those bumpers and other pieces of plastic trim fade and look crappy real fast.

There are two of reasons we did not keep it - first, the mileage sucks. You will be lucky to get 13 or 14 around town and 18 on the highway - regardless of what the EPA estimates are.

Second, cargo space is not as big as it seems if you are carrying around two people in the back.

There is also an issue with these cars fondly know as the "strawberry milkshake of death" which describes the common failure of the transmission cooler.

The transmission cooler is prone to cracking which allows radiator coolant to mix with transmission fluid. This attractive but damaging mixture destroys the automatic transmission and requires replacement of the radiator/transmission cooler and the automatic transmission.

To give you an idea on how impractical I think the Xterra is - take any latter model (used) Cummins or Duramax diesel crew or club cab. With the Cummins you will beat the Xterras MPG and with the Duramax you will at least match it.

But you will also be able to seat five people and you will have a six foot bed for storage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiploder View Post
    I bought my wife a 2012 Xterra and we had it for about a year. Overall it's a nice little SUV that will depreciate fairly quickly. I think we paid around $26.5 for it - it was a Pro....

Compared to other small SUVs, Xterras are fairly light on amenities. They are also adorned with a lot of tupperware - those bumpers and other pieces of plastic trim fade and look crappy real fast.

There are two of reasons we did not keep it - first, the mileage sucks. You will be lucky to get 13 or 14 around town and 18 on the highway - regardless of what the EPA estimates are.

Second, cargo space is not as big as it seems if you are carrying around two people in the back.

There is also an issue with these cars fondly know as the "strawberry milkshake of death" which describes the common failure of the transmission cooler.

The transmission cooler is prone to cracking which allows radiator coolant to mix with transmission fluid. This attractive but damaging mixture destroys the automatic transmission and requires replacement of the radiator/transmission cooler and the automatic transmission.

To give you an idea on how impractical I think the Xterra is - take any latter model (used) Cummins or Duramax diesel crew or club cab. With the Cummins you will beat the Xterras MPG and with the Duramax you will at least match it.

But you will also be able to seat five people and you will have a six foot bed for storage.
    Or even one of the smaller pick ups with a double cab like a Tacoma or Frontier. But those are about the same mileage wise. If only Toyota would sell the Diesel Hilux here. I'd buy one in a second.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiploder View Post

Yes I realize this thread is 3 months old but I figured I would chime in anyway for the OP or others. I have a 07 Xterra S with 125k miles on it. This vehicle is pretty reliable and in the 3 yrs and 65k miles I have owned it I have had no issues other than maintenance and repairs that one would expect on a higher mileage vehicle. I also regularly get about 17 mpg around town and about 20-21 mpg highway, but that should be expected as it is not a crossover, it is one of the few remaining true SUVs (based on a full boxed truck frame) . The transmission failure you mentioned has been resolved for the newer models (2010+ i believe) as they changed the transmission fluid type and radiators so this is no longer a concern.

One big downfall is the amount of plastic both inside and out, I have not had issues with exterior plastic fading as it is already grey... But interior plastic does have tendency to scratch easily but on the flip side it is easier to clean when it gets muddy.

The Xterra is a niche vehicle and if you are looking for all the fancy bells and whistles then it will not be for you. It rides and drives like a truck and can be a bit harsh at times. But on the other hand I have not problem throwing my muddy bike in the back or loading it to roof with camping gear and heading out for the weekend. If you are looking for a no frills outdoor vehicle with great off road capabilities then the Xterra is for you, otherwise you will be left disappointed.

Single Speed Junkie
    Been kicking around the idea of a new vehicle for a while replacing a Jeep Cherokee. While the Jeep it was taken out by a small accident. I really loved the utility of the old Jeep. Just made a low ball offer on a left over 2012. Will see how that goes.