Gnar

XPORT 2 Bike Hitch Mount Weight?

I see a lot of you use these. How much do they weight?
    Thanks !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

Not a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel
    I see a lot of you use these. How much do they weight?
    Thanks !!!
    What is the concern of weight? It's light enough for my 100 pound wife to handle, and she has about zero upper body strength.

I would guess around 30-40 pounds.

Gnar
    Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking about a Thule T2, but those weight about 60 pounds and while they are nice that just seems like a lot of weight hanging off the back of a small car. The price for the XPORT is a lot less too.

Are you happy with yours?

mtbr member
    I have had mine for about a year now and am very happy with it. It is sturdy, secure, and a breeze to load/unload. I am not sure on the exact weight but I would tend to think that pimpbot is about right at 30-40 lbs. I am able to carry it out of the garage and place it in my hitch receiver with one arm if my hands are full.
    Join IMBA!

ballbuster

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel
    Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking about a Thule T2, but those weight about 60 pounds and while they are nice that just seems like a lot of weight hanging off the back of a small car. The price for the XPORT is a lot less too.

Are you happy with yours?
    I dig mine. There are a few minor quirks with it. One is that sometimes the bikes are of such a height that you can't clamp down on one of them, so on occasion you have to take the hooks off and switch their positions.

For the dough, I couldn't be happier.

As for the T2, the weight isn't that big a deal. It is definitely a beefier rack, and I like that it holds the bike by the front wheel instead of possibly making a dull spot on your top tube over the years. whether it is worth over double the money is up to you.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    had one, don't recommend it for much usage. first, always use the additional strap that comes with it. it is not fun to see a bike skipping down the highway 5 mins after leaving the trail.
    asides from that experience, there is some fiddling with 2 bikes to get it to hold them tight. the top tube holder would constantly loosen and require adjustments on trips over 45mins. it will fit bikes with tires under 2.35, have fun wedging anything bigger in the tire tracks. and finally, the plastic adjuster wheel/nut stripped after 2 months.

it is not the best quality rack but it is cheap and will work for occasional use. i'm very happy with the T2 now and don't have to wonder if the bike is going to fall out.

mtbr member
    Maybe CAO got a defective model. My top tube supports never come loose, I haven't had anything strip out so far (year of use), and my bikes have 2.4's and 2.5's, which fit just fine in the rack. I also don't have any trouble getting 2 bikes loaded into it.
    Join IMBA!

ballbuster

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    had one, don't recommend it for much usage. first, always use the additional strap that comes with it. it is not fun to see a bike skipping down the highway 5 mins after leaving the trail.
    asides from that experience, there is some fiddling with 2 bikes to get it to hold them tight. the top tube holder would constantly loosen and require adjustments on trips over 45mins. it will fit bikes with tires under 2.35, have fun wedging anything bigger in the tire tracks. and finally, the plastic adjuster wheel/nut stripped after 2 months.

it is not the best quality rack but it is cheap and will work for occasional use. i'm very happy with the T2 now and don't have to wonder if the bike is going to fall out.
    I have a hard time believing you stripped the knob by hand. Maybe the cairrage bolt from behind or the retainer was damaged and letting the bolt spin? THose knobs are plastic but they hold a fat steel M8 nut inside, and those nuts can typically take like 60 Ft/Lbs of torque. No way you are going to get that by a hand turned knob. They are just like everybody else uses. Regular off the shelf stuff. If you do happen to break a knob, they are commonly replaceable parts. Heck, some hardware stores stock them.

I was actually looking into replacing the knobs with locking Yakima knobs at one point, but figured I would have better security with a good quality U-Lock and a thick cable around the underframe of the car. Those locking knobs are pretty easy to defeat.

Maybe the knob was cracked or sun damaged? I'll have to instpect mine. Maybe they updated the design, or something. I dunno, but mine is built like a brick shizhouse.

I don't believe there is any way a bike can escape this rack if adjusted properly, unless the top hooks came loose, and that is just not going to happen if the knobs are snug. Also, the wheel baskets can take tires way bigger than a 2.35. I put my 29er with 2.3" tires in there and there was plenty of room for much bigger ones. I have not measured, but I would guess a 2.6" would easily fit.

*edit*
    I just measured. The actual gap is 2 5/8" (that's 2.625") in the wheel basket. Since they fudge about tire sizes anyway, an actual 2.6" tire will have some room to spare.
    */edit*

I've been using mine pretty much twice a week for the last year, and it still looks pretty new, except for the plastic ends that sometimes contact the ground on steep driveway exits with the trays folded up.

I've also had some minor problems getting two bikes on there from time to time. Mostly, it was bar to saddle contact, which was fixed by moving the trays to one side or another, and maybe adjusting the saddle height.

I'm not doubting you had problems, but I have a hard time believing those problems would be typical for a properly assembled and properly adjusted rack. Maybe they updated the design and I have the newer one?

Whoknowz.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe defective but doesn't that speak on its quality? Nothing appeared any different to other ones in the store.

To answer some questions. It was the nut that was bonded inside the knob that stripped. This is most likely due to over tightening which you can bet I was doing after dumping a Titus on the Highway and the continual loosening of the knobs during transport. It is a standard M8 bolt and nut which I replaced with a Stainless Steel combination from the local hardware store. While this provided a more secure fit it was a pain to fit a wrench in two bikes and this rack.

As for tires, the Kenda 2.35" fit snug, 2.5" took some wedging and 2.7" required deflating to fit in the trays.

For a rack that I paid $70 +/- I got what I paid for, nothing more. If I just transported XC bikes on occasion it would have been fine. There is a reason that the T2 and similar are 3x the price.