ballbuster

Wow... Honda Fit Electrics are now $259 a month lease

I'm no shill, but a fan of Electric cars. I'm happy to see them become more affordable and popular. I see EVs on the road like crazy lately. My boss drives a Tesla Sedan, and the thing is amazing. I love the idea of getting rid of my dino burner engine, and the maintenance involved with that, not to mention no longer giving $50 a week cash to big oil.

Honda Fit EV Lease Down To $259/Month | CleanTechnica

Very cool. The deal includes all maintenance, collision insurance, and a charging station for your house. You gotta pay the installation on the charger, but they give you the hardware.

I wonder how they feel about installing a hitch bike rack on it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    wtf is a electric fit, it does not exist here

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by sunstealth View Post
    wtf is a electric fit, it does not exist here
    The Honda Fit. They call it the Jazz in other countries, IIRC.

Also, it looks like they're dropping the price on the Nissan Leaf, but not sure how much. I heard something about a $199 deal.

Chevy has an electric now that comes in at $18k after Fed and State rebates.

jrm
    mtbr member
    yeah saw a leaf ad for 99 bucks a month. i cant buy a car right now.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    While I like electric cars because it will save me money, I have serious doubts about their impact on the environment. Unless your power just happens to come from a nuke plant or solar field, you are still burning coal/oil to make the electricity, and that electricity has to be transferred to your house(line loses, reduced efficiency.)

I would love a Chevy Volt. It has enough electric range to get me through my normal commute but has the gas back up for those longer trips/emergencies.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    While I like electric cars because it will save me money, I have serious doubts about their impact on the environment. Unless your power just happens to come from a nuke plant or solar field, you are still burning coal/oil to make the electricity, and that electricity has to be transferred to your house(line loses, reduced efficiency.)

I would love a Chevy Volt. It has enough electric range to get me through my normal commute but has the gas back up for those longer trips/emergencies.
    Those massive multi-megawatt turbines at PG&E are way more efficient than any reciprocating piston internal combustion engine... like, by a very long shot. A gas engine is at best like 26% efficient, and that doesn't include all of the energy it takes to transport crude oil, refine it into gasoline and transport it to your local gas station. Most of the energy from a gas engine doesn't go to pushing the car forward, it goes to making the radiator hot, making the engine block and oil hot, and a big part goes out the tailpipe.

Even taking into account losses in battery charging/discharging, losses in electrical transmission and such, you are making only 1/2 the CO2 than a gas engine to do the same job. The EPA gives the equivalent rating of like 100+ MPG to these cars to reflect that. Drive the car home, and charge it empty to full on $3-4 of electricity instead of $15 of gas (basically, 100 miles worth) if you charge it off-peak at night. These cars have a charge timer that does that for you. Even if the local power station burns coal, you're still only making half the impact. Now, add solar to your house (and here, we have plans that are super cheap) and you reduce your impact even more, plus save more money.

But yeah, electrics aren't for everybody. If you're a single guy who likes to drive to Downieville for the weekend, the electric won't do it for you alone. You would probably have to either keep a gas car on standby or bum rides off friends.

In my case, my wife works mostly from home, and twice a week has to drive like 40 miles each way to a client's office. Normally, she's local and picks up the kids from school. We live up a 1400' ascent from the main part of town. She can take the Audi wagon on days when she drive to work, and drive the kids to and from school. I could easily do my daily 25 mile commute (each way, 1500' of climbing) with a Nissan Leaf, and drive the gas car for weekend bike trips out of the Leaf's range. If we did this, we would only be buying one tank of gas every two or three weeks, instead of 1.5 tanks a week, combined. We're getting solar on our house next year, so we aren't likely to get monster electric bills from it. My boss has a Tesla Model S, and he tells me his electric bill went up like $100 a month, but he drives a lot.

Of course, the big bonus of the electric is no maintenance. You feed it tires, wiper blades, and washer fluid... and that's about it. There's no transmission, no timing belts, no nothin. I guess you have to replace the battery pack every so often, but they are typically warrantied for 8 years 100k miles. If they are anything like a Prius battery (but much larger, of course) then it won't be an issue. The Prius battery is super reliable. They have been on the road since 1999 in this country, and there isn't a rash of cars out there needing new battery packs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Think I'd have too much range-anxiety for an electric-only. Seems to me the Volt, altho kinda ugly, is the ideal solution. We need more expensive gas to make it cost-effective, tho. For now, my Sonic, which gets a real 38mpg mixed driving, does what I need.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Those massive multi-megawatt turbines at PG&E are way more efficient than any reciprocating piston internal combustion engine... like, by a very long shot. A gas engine is at best like 26% efficient, and that doesn't include all of the energy it takes to transport crude oil, refine it into gasoline and transport it to your local gas station. Most of the energy from a gas engine doesn't go to pushing the car forward, it goes to making the radiator hot, making the engine block and oil hot, and a big part goes out the tailpipe.

Even taking into account losses in battery charging/discharging, losses in electrical transmission and such, you are making only 1/2 the CO2 than a gas engine to do the same job. The EPA gives the equivalent rating of like 100+ MPG to these cars to reflect that. Drive the car home, and charge it empty to full on $3-4 of electricity instead of $15 of gas (basically, 100 miles worth) if you charge it off-peak at night. These cars have a charge timer that does that for you. Even if the local power station burns coal, you're still only making half the impact. Now, add solar to your house (and here, we have plans that are super cheap) and you reduce your impact even more, plus save more money.

But yeah, electrics aren't for everybody. If you're a single guy who likes to drive to Downieville for the weekend, the electric won't do it for you alone. You would probably have to either keep a gas car on standby or bum rides off friends.

In my case, my wife works mostly from home, and twice a week has to drive like 40 miles each way to a client's office. Normally, she's local and picks up the kids from school. We live up a 1400' ascent from the main part of town. She can take the Audi wagon on days when she drive to work, and drive the kids to and from school. I could easily do my daily 25 mile commute (each way, 1500' of climbing) with a Nissan Leaf, and drive the gas car for weekend bike trips out of the Leaf's range. If we did this, we would only be buying one tank of gas every two or three weeks, instead of 1.5 tanks a week, combined. We're getting solar on our house next year, so we aren't likely to get monster electric bills from it. My boss has a Tesla Model S, and he tells me his electric bill went up like $100 a month, but he drives a lot.

Of course, the big bonus of the electric is no maintenance. You feed it tires, wiper blades, and washer fluid... and that's about it. There's no transmission, no timing belts, no nothin. I guess you have to replace the battery pack every so often, but they are typically warrantied for 8 years 100k miles. If they are anything like a Prius battery (but much larger, of course) then it won't be an issue. The Prius battery is super reliable. They have been on the road since 1999 in this country, and there isn't a rash of cars out there needing new battery packs.
    True, i did not think about the fact that a car does not use the heat to produce energy like a steam turbine.

The Tesla S is a sweet car. They have a store in the mall local to me with a complete car and one without the body, so you can see all the drive and suspension components. Even $100 a month is a huge savings. I am seeing about $200 a month in gas with a 20 minute commute to work plus some driving on the weekends.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Think I'd have too much range-anxiety for an electric-only. Seems to me the Volt, altho kinda ugly, is the ideal solution. We need more expensive gas to make it cost-effective, tho. For now, my Sonic, which gets a real 38mpg mixed driving, does what I need.
    Well, hopefully this issue will be taken care of with improved batteries and more charging stations. Many of the supermarkets around here, malls, local Fry's Electronics have charging stations... some of them quick chargers. I've seen some that run off a card where you just stick the card in and it debits from your bank account a couple bucks for a 10 minute/80% quick charge. I've even seen some free charging stations... sort of an incentive to shop at places with charging stations. Also, Tesla is huge on building charging stations. I think I read somewhere that they were pushing for 1000 new stations in 5 years. The State of California is installing charging stations up and down the i5 corridor so you can drive from the Bay Area to LA, making a couple of charging stops along the way.

Doesn't help much with the trip to Downieville from the Bay Area, tho. Geez, I once filled up in Oakland on my way to D'Ville figuring it was plenty for the ascent, and nearly ran the car out of gas on the way to the top of Packer's Saddle. That hill sucks massive amounts of fuel. I usually get around 350 miles on a tank, but I think I got like 180 on that day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Recently bought the regular Fit. Unfortunately there are no public chargers near by, and I live in an apartment. I wonder what my neighbors would think if I ran an 100 foot extension from my second story bedroom window to my parking spot?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post

Think for a few minutes about the fact that gasoline doesn't just grow out of the ground at your local gas station, it has to be trucked there and resources and energy have to be consumed to make that truck, the energy used to build and maintain the tanks and equipment at the stations, and then there's the depots where fuel is stored, and the ships that bring it, and on and on and on. Yes, an electric car is very efficient, and it doesn't care what your power station is using, hydro electric, natural gas, propane, coal, fission, fusion, anti-matter, whatever...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.