Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..

I just thought id share. I've owned my 2012 F150 for about 18 months, using it as a work truck for my HVAC company. I was struggling to figure out how to squeeze in more rides, so I figured the only way was to keep my bike in the truck at all times so I can make some stops when I have time. With a bed full of tools, space was slim.. Luckily the cab of the F150 supercrew is huge.. Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..-20140126_143638_zps3ca954ae.jpg Easily fits my XL 29er safetly in the back seat with just the front wheel removed!!!
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good to know. I was curious about this myself. My wife and I are toying with getting a truck, and the F150 Supercrew seems to offer the most rear cabin room out of any I've compared so far. I actually was wondering if a bike would fit in there with the seats folded up. Now I know. Yes, if you remove a wheel. Thanks.

Also, what is the length of your truck bed? And how well does your bike fit back there? I see that the 2014 F150 models (not sure if it was much different for your 2012) offer the Supercrew cab with either the 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed. A few of the higher end trim packages also throw in a pickup bed extender as part of the package deal, which is of possible interest to me as well. We are hoping to be able to transport anywhere from 1 to 5 bikes (2 of them are kids bikes) on any given trip - hence why we want the truck - and while I do plan on buying a hitch rack for when we bring all 5 bikes, I had hoped that on days when we are only bringing 2 or 3 that I could fit them all in the bed. The problem is that most of the trucks I've seen in the dealer inventories equipped with the Supercrew cab only seem to offer the 5.5' bed. I haven't found too many with the larger bed. A crude estimate of my wife's 29er, which is the longest of all our bikes, puts it at just over 6 feet long with both wheels on. So my thoughts were either:

A) angle the bikes to make them fit diagonally across the bed.
    B) drop the tailgate and strap the bikes in securely
    C) just suck it up and remove the front wheels of the larger bikes to make them fit
    D) invest in a pickup bed extender, if the truck doesn't come with one already
    E) keep searching until I find a truck with at least a 6.5' bed

We're just starting off on this quest for a truck, and it will probably be some time before we buy, but I'm trying to get to be as informed as possible so that I know what I really want before I go and start talking with car sales people who will try to sell me on everything I don't need, while conveniently overlooking that one thing I really wanted.

mtbr member

Re: Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..

Chevy, GMC, F150, Ram, Toyota,. All the same ****.

Pickups are great bike vehicles.

Your Best Friend
    Until you have to fill up.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by offmainstreet View Post
    Also, what is the length of your truck bed? And how well does your bike fit back there? I see that the 2014 F150 models (not sure if it was much different for your 2012) offer the Supercrew cab with either the 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed. A few of the higher end trim packages also throw in a pickup bed extender as part of the package deal, which is of possible interest to me as well. We are hoping to be able to transport anywhere from 1 to 5 bikes (2 of them are kids bikes) on any given trip - hence why we want the truck - and while I do plan on buying a hitch rack for when we bring all 5 bikes, I had hoped that on days when we are only bringing 2 or 3 that I could fit them all in the bed. The problem is that most of the trucks I've seen in the dealer inventories equipped with the Supercrew cab only seem to offer the 5.5' bed. I haven't found too many with the larger bed. A crude estimate of my wife's 29er, which is the longest of all our bikes, puts it at just over 6 feet long with both wheels on. So my thoughts were either:

C) just suck it up and remove the front wheels of the larger bikes to make them fit
    It's not about the length, it's about the girth!

Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..-9762201605_92349d7d8d_z.jpg

Option F) get a tailgate pad

You can even fit six in a Dakota (not that I would recommend a Dakota!):

Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..-6125891626_5a735b46d6_z.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    And why I got rid of my Silverado and F150.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post

Valid point. I posted my question before I'd fully taken the time to browse the forums searching for ideas. Looks like it would work fine for short trips. I might still want to come up with something more secure for longer trips though. And, I think I'd still like to find one with the longer bed if possible... Just because its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    It's not about the length, it's about the girth!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9762201605_92349d7d8d_z.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	890773

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6125891626_5a735b46d6_z.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	890774
    Wouldn't the bikes bang around on each other like that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Wouldn't the bikes bang around on each other like that?
    You'd be amazed at how well they stay put when hung over the tail gate, even going a good clip off road. We usually run a rope through the front triangles too for good measure.

mtbr member
    Good to know. I was curious about this myself. My wife and I are toying with getting a truck, and the F150 Supercrew seems to offer the most rear cabin room out of any I've compared so far. I actually was wondering if a bike would fit in there with the seats folded up. Now I know. Yes, if you remove a wheel. Thanks.

We're just starting off on this quest for a truck, and it will probably be some time before we buy, but I'm trying to get to be as informed as possible so that I know what I really want before I go and start talking with car sales people who will try to sell me on everything I don't need, while conveniently overlooking that one thing I really wanted.
    I have the 5.5 ft bed, and it fits fine as long as I have the tailgate done, or the bike diagonally with the tailgate up. if u take the front wheels off, they will fit side by side and u can secure the wheels elsewhere
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    I was getting 21 mpg highway before I changed the wheels.. not too bad on the ecoboost motor.. I know a lot of people with cars that get about the same
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

Clueless Bastard
    I doubt anyone buys a truck cause it gets "great" gas mileage. My Tundra will tow our trailer, haul our crap, and pass nearly everything on the road, but a gas station.

Braaaapp!
    Truck mileage is getting better, at least a little. Diesels could get amazing mileage, but emissions regs stifle that.

Just did a road trip in a long box crew cab F250 while towing. There should be a law against putting that many hundreds of dollars in gas in a truck in 2 days.

Sent via morse code
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the Ecoboost. Unintentionally got the max trailer tow package- I love the big mirrors. I am averaging 16 mpg, with more city driving than highway. $30 normally lasts about 5 days-commute is 14 miles round trip. I can fit 2 29ers in the 5.5 ft bed, but they are laying on top of eachother. I don't like that. I am looking at the Nashbar 4 bike hitch rack: Nashbar Shadow 4-Bike Hitch Rack - Overweight Code I

Out of Stock right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I did end up getting the new truck. 2014 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 6.5' box and the Ecoboost engine. We've only had it about 2 weeks, but so far the fuel is about as advertised. We can get just a hair over 15mpg city if we drive conservatively. We haven't done enough highway driving to really know what that will be like, but from our short jaunts so far, it appears that we should be able to get the advertised numbers or better (21 highway) if we keep it close to 65 with the cruse control set. We're going on a 1000+ mile trip up the east coast later this month, and I look forward to trying it out. We have the 36 gallon tank too, and the idea of only having to stop for gas once is a nice one.

As for hauling bikes, we have only put two in the bed so far, and while I'm sure we can fit more, I think we're going to get a hitch rack for the days we have to haul 5 of them, or for our road trip coming up where we are wanting to use the bed of the truck for other gear.

So far I'm loving the truck. A little tricky to park with the 157" wheelbase, but the backup camera is a blessing and I'm still learning the lines. Mileage isn't great, but it's not as bad as I feared, and not much worse than my other car either. Other than that, it's wonderful!

mtbr member

Yep love my truck. I have a 2014 RAM 2500HD CTD and get between 16-17 mpg in the city and around 23-24 mpg on the highway. This is driving normally and not baby-ing it.

mtbr member
    I did end up getting the new truck. 2014 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 6.5' box and the Ecoboost engine. We've only had it about 2 weeks, but so far the fuel is about as advertised. We can get just a hair over 15mpg city if we drive conservatively. We haven't done enough highway driving to really know what that will be like, but from our short jaunts so far, it appears that we should be able to get the advertised numbers or better (21 highway) if we keep it close to 65 with the cruse control set. We're going on a 1000+ mile trip up the east coast later this month, and I look forward to trying it out. We have the 36 gallon tank too, and the idea of only having to stop for gas once is a nice one.

As for hauling bikes, we have only put two in the bed so far, and while I'm sure we can fit more, I think we're going to get a hitch rack for the days we have to haul 5 of them, or for our road trip coming up where we are wanting to use the bed of the truck for other gear.

So far I'm loving the truck. A little tricky to park with the 157" wheelbase, but the backup camera is a blessing and I'm still learning the lines. Mileage isn't great, but it's not as bad as I feared, and not much worse than my other car either. Other than that, it's wonderful!
    Congrats on the new truck!!! this is my 3rd consecutive F150, I have owned every body style since 2001. These newer f150s are going to be hard to beat! One things for sure is that the Ecoboost performs well when driving the way someone should.. not stomping on the gas off of a stop or trying to pass someone. if you speed, the gas mileage goes down as well. the biggest change in the EcoBoost mileage will come from changing out the wheels and tires.. I put 24" wheels on 34" tires and the extra weight did a number on my gas mileage.. though I still average 16 mpgs while looking good

Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..-88e3aefe-58e2-41ce-943e-170b4e164993_zps295a6c71.jpg
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, a pickup truck would be about the absolute worst vehicle for my daily commute. 69 miles round trip and the current price of gasoline is the reason why I'll never own one.

I get 39mpg average in mixed city/highway driving. 16mpg would cost me $300 more per month in gasoline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My wife uses it as her daily driver when I'm not hauling bikes. She commutes 4 miles each way, so the fuel impact is minimal.

mtbr member
    My wife uses it as her daily driver when I'm not hauling bikes. She commutes 4 miles each way, so the fuel impact is minimal.
    My wife works out of the house but a truck would not suit her business at all. Plus, even though she works out of the house she still manages to put about 15,000 miles a year on her car.

So, I have a trailer hitch to mount a rack on my car for hauling bikes. MPG takes a small hit if I'm traveling far but it's still well worth it for the amount of miles I drive. Hitch racks work pretty well. No way could I fit a 29er in my trunk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    My wife works out of the house but a truck would not suit her business at all. Plus, even though she works out of the house she still manages to put about 15,000 miles a year on her car.
    We tracked her miles last year and she logged just over 7000 miles on her car which was our primary vehicle at the time. I work only 7 miles from home myself. We do plan on making the drive up the coast this year, but that's not a trip we make every year.

mtbr member

I have ian 11 f150 4x4 super crew ecoboost. Awesome bike hauler. I have the beddy-Joe carrier by yakima. It allows you to stand the bike upright in the bed and clamps to the fork. Just take off the front wheel. I have a hitch mount as well that I never use. Not sure if they still make it but I like it.
    Can't really complain about the f150. If I need to change I just climb into the back seat. Lots of room, can carry a bike inside and all of your gear.

You do not purchase a truck because it will get great mpg.
    You get it for hauling, towing carrying, crushing small cars, getting cross looks in certain towns.

Only complaint and it is very very minor is trying to park it. So I just make sure I park a little ways away to make sure I get a better spot with room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Bone View Post
    I have ian 11 f150 4x4 super crew ecoboost. Awesome bike hauler. I have the beddy-Joe carrier by yakima. It allows you to stand the bike upright in the bed and clamps to the fork. Just take off the front wheel. I have a hitch mount as well that I never use. Not sure if they still make it but I like it.
    Can't really complain about the f150. If I need to change I just climb into the back seat. Lots of room, can carry a bike inside and all of your gear.

You do not purchase a truck because it will get great mpg.
    You get it for hauling, towing carrying, crushing small cars, getting cross looks in certain towns.

Only complaint and it is very very minor is trying to park it. So I just make sure I park a little ways away to make sure I get a better spot with room.
    I can't agree with u more, especially about the parking. I'd definitely rather be safe than sorry when it comes to parking!
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

Fortunate to have both a truck and commuter. Although I find myself just using the commuter as a bike hauler. Even thinking of getting a small $250 Harbor Freight mini trailer to set up to haul bikes, and still average 2x the MPG.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Truck

I like my GMC Sierra 1500. Gets around 20 mpg on the hwy. I made my own rack out of a 2x6 and a couple small pieces that wedges into the stake slots in the bed. I used 2 Thule mounts, so that's all I've spent on it. I could easily have 4 mounts wide but there's only 2 of us right now...

My 29er Fisher fits in the back seat w/ the front tire removed as well if the bed is full or I want to keep the bike locked up better.

This was a test run while building it w/ my brother's bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why the F150 is a great biking vehicle..-bikerack.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast