Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who's driving a Mazda?

Who's driving a Mazda? I've been doing some car research and like the Mazda 3 or 5 Hatchback. The only thing I've heard is that Mazda and Ford are the same vehicle.

Captain Climber
    Not yet but considering the 3 hatch

Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013
    I love my mazda 3. Which year are you going with? I have the 2.3 S sedan. I would prefer a mazda speed 3 hatch. They are good bang for the buck. Here's a link to lots of other mazda owners. Mazda Owners Unite!
    You can also take a look at mazda3forums .com. Overall, a very reliable and fun to drive car. Great for getting gear to and from the trail.

mtbr member
    FWIW, Ford and Mazda severed all ties and shared platforms a year or two ago...

Braaaapp!
    The 2014 is all Mazda. 2013 still used then shared platform.

I been looking around and was sold on a 2014 hatch. Drove back to back with the 2013, no comparison. The 14 just felt nicer, interior was much less clutered, and everything seemed easier to use. Nice little car.

Now I am getting a 2008 Mazda3 S sedan. Not exactly what I was looking for, but my sister is selling hers and hates to see it go. We get a good deal on a car we need, she gets to see her car go to someone that will take care of it.

Sent via morse code
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

mtbr member
    I really like the looks of the Mazda 3 5 door.

Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    I really like the looks of the Mazda 3 5 door.
    In hindsight, that really is the way I wish I had gone. I basically purchased my 3 sedan when my previous ride took a catastrophic dump. Was going to cost way too much to repair, so I bought the Mazda because it was cheap and convenient. I didn't even know they had the 5 door (hatchback) when I purchased mine. Get a mazda 3, take care of maintenance, and that car will take care of you while being a very fun car to drive.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You should also look into the Mazda CX 5.Who's driving a Mazda?-img_20131129_143920_080.jpg I have over 16k on 2014 and no complaints.

mtbr member
    Rt4x4, nice looking vehicle. Just checked it out. Like the Mazda CX-5 Touring with AWD. I love the fact that it's AWD in the winter.
    Last edited by trek7100; 03-17-2014 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yup I've got an 08 mz3 hatch and I love it.
    Who's driving a Mazda?-1148842_10152103386411038_635328319_n.jpg
    Here's my build thread on mazda3forums

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was driving a CX-7 until it self destructed on me at 76k miles and went to the salvage yard. DO NOT buy an early model CX-7 or Mazdaspeed 3 with the turbo engine.

The CX-5 looks great, but I worry about the repairs on the SkyActive engine.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!

Got my Thule rack completed...

First of all let me give a shout out to weaselnoze for posting his "how to" on the Faring. Works like a champ and reduced the noise from the Aero Blade load bars w/ the Sidearm attachments.

Just filled up the little rice burner for the second time and I'm stoked. Got over 31mpg in the city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's driving a Mazda?-20140320_143453.jpg  

Who's driving a Mazda?-20140320_142927.jpg  

Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to test drive a 2014 Mazda6 this weekend. The Mazda3 are decent looking but not crazy about the interior. I like the fact that you can still get a 6 spd with the Mazda6 in the higher hp motor. Big drawback is Yakima doesn't have a roof mount bike carrier solution yet. I'm sure it's coming with some new Q-Clips, but as of today there's nothing available. I haven't checked any Mazda forums yet to see if people have found something that works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Who's driving a Mazda?

I have (well its the wife's car mainly :P ) a 2014 Mazda CX5 AWD. Drives well and decent milage but still feels slightly underpowered for a 2.5. I think the skyactive holds lower gears so it doesn't like to get into the higher rev range unless you push it.

The worst thing about it, the GPS. It will drive you mad a few times. You can't type an address in while you are driving, even with a passenger. The hands free isn't very good at speech recognition either so most of the time you have to pull over and stop to enter an address. Don't do it at a red light either since the moment you start driving the GPS will lock the keyboard and you have to start from scratch. That's really the only bad thing about the car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's driving a Mazda?-uploadfromtaptalk1395355040372.jpg  

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm hoping to test drive a 2014 Mazda6 this weekend. The Mazda3 are decent looking but not crazy about the interior. I like the fact that you can still get a 6 spd with the Mazda6 in the higher hp motor. Big drawback is Yakima doesn't have a roof mount bike carrier solution yet. I'm sure it's coming with some new Q-Clips, but as of today there's nothing available. I haven't checked any Mazda forums yet to see if people have found something that works.
    I personally was not impressed with the 2014 Mazda 3's. Didn't like the interior at all. The 6's however, those look freakin' schaweeeet! If I was buying a sedan I'd be all over one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKK007 View Post
    I have (well its the wife's car mainly :P ) a 2014 Mazda CX5 AWD. Drives well and decent milage but still feels slightly underpowered for a 2.5. I think the skyactive holds lower gears so it doesn't like to get into the higher rev range unless you push it.

The worst thing about it, the GPS. It will drive you mad a few times. You can't type an address in while you are driving, even with a passenger. The hands free isn't very good at speech recognition either so most of the time you have to pull over and stop to enter an address. Don't do it at a red light either since the moment you start driving the GPS will lock the keyboard and you have to start from scratch. That's really the only bad thing about the car.

Is the AWD for the CX5 new for this year? Have you ever owned any other AWD vehicles to compare it too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I personally was not impressed with the 2014 Mazda 3's. Didn't like the interior at all. The 6's however, those look freakin' schaweeeet! If I was buying a sedan I'd be all over one of those.
    Yeah, I'm not normally a sedan person but the Mazda 6 does have a look. Too bad we didn't get the Mazda 6 wagon. That would be a winner for sure. Sometimes I think auto makers hate the US, even American auto makers. I mean most of the rest of the world does...so I guess it makes sense.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Yeah, I'm not normally a sedan person but the Mazda 6 does have a look. Too bad we didn't get the Mazda 6 wagon. That would be a winner for sure. Sometimes I think auto makers hate the US, even American auto makers. I mean most of the rest of the world does...so I guess it makes sense.
    As far as the rack I've heard the same problems with the Mazda 3. I was told by REI that they didn't have a roof rack for the 2014 yet.

mtbr member
    I just read on a MZ6 forum that there was possibly some tabs under the black strip running along the roof. The thread I read stopped back in June last year so I joined and asked if there was an update. It would be awesome if this was true. My Jetta had tabs like that and attaching the roof rack was easy and super secure and no risk of paint damage. If I don't get word before Saturday, I'll take a close look at the MZ3 and MZ6 at the dealership and see what I can find out for anyone that is curious. I'm not interested in a hitch mount since I already have $600 worth of roof rack and selling it I'd still be several hundred short of getting a hitch and new hitch mount bike carrier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've owned a bunch of Subaru's (Foresters, Legacy, Impreza) and when looking at a new Forester. I drove both the XT and non-turbo and was shocked how "rubbery" feeling the whole car was. I hated the CVT and the mushy suspension. Just for fun I tested a CX-5 AWD touring (no nav or other electronic stuff I don't need) and ended up buying one. Fun to drive and decent MPG, plus enough room for 4.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Who's driving a Mazda?

Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post

Is the AWD for the CX5 new for this year? Have you ever owned any other AWD vehicles to compare it too?
    I had a Subaru outback and I'd say the AWD systems are similar albeit the CX5 doesn't see too much off road action. It did well in the ice storms we had in the Dallas area.

mtbr member
    Too bad you can't get the 185 hp and 6 spd in the CX5. That's my big complaint with cars these days...too many makers are dropping options for buyers. There's no good reason that I can think of to not offer the 6 spd with the 184 hp motor option in the CX5. They did it with the MX6 so it's obvious that they can do it.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I've owned a bunch of Subaru's (Foresters, Legacy, Impreza) and when looking at a new Forester. I drove both the XT and non-turbo and was shocked how "rubbery" feeling the whole car was. I hated the CVT and the mushy suspension. Just for fun I tested a CX-5 AWD touring (no nav or other electronic stuff I don't need) and ended up buying one. Fun to drive and decent MPG, plus enough room for 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZKK007 View Post
    I had a Subaru outback and I'd say the AWD systems are similar albeit the CX5 doesn't see too much off road action. It did well in the ice storms we had in the Dallas area.

What kind of "real world" mileage are you guys getting on your CX5's?

Too bad you can't get the 185 hp and 6 spd in the CX5. That's my big complaint with cars these days...too many makers are dropping options for buyers. There's no good reason that I can think of to not offer the 6 spd with the 184 hp motor option in the CX5. They did it with the MX6 so it's obvious that they can do it.
    I think quest for higher gas mileage has car companies sacrificing power their vehicles. To me the CX5 should be/is considered more the size of an SUV. Therefore should be given ample power to carry cargo or haul a decent amount of weight be it trailer or boat or small RV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    There's a reason for that, subaru's are biased towards off road trails and rutted dirt roads. The CX5 is strictly for pavement, and gravel roads at best.

You can watch this video to get an idea of why that is:

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    There's a reason for that, subaru's are biased towards off road trails and rutted dirt roads. The CX5 is strictly for pavement, and gravel roads at best.

You can watch this video to get an idea of why that is:

Thanks for the link. It was a pretty solid comparison but somewhat inconclusive. The bald guy said the Outlander would do better in rutted situations.

Either way I am looking for an AWD vehicle to handle in-climate weather like rain and snow and sand as opposed to off-road situations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yea, for the most part 99% of SUV drivers only get AWD for snow, and maybe rain. They never see a trail. But as mountain bikers, we may take a dirt road like this to get to where we need to go. It really depends on how and where people ride.

For 99% of SUV buyers, they probably want it biased towards on-road handling and driving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast