Page 1 of 109 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Uphill isn't a sport!!

Who else here drives a Subaru?

Ive been lurking these forums and ran into a couple people I recognize from some Subaru boards I frequent.

I also always see bike racks on local Subarus, so I know its a popular vehicle for us. Just curious who else here drives their Subies to the trails... maybe even ON the trails

Post em up! Here's my current ride:

-Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guilty! I dirve a subaru. 2001 Outback h6. I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ups and downs
    1992 Legacy wagon and it must be painted Dorian Grey because it doesn't seem to be aging badly at all. 229,000km and runs like a watch. Just stuck a set of Nokian WR tires on it so it matches at least one of my bikes for tire brands. Bikes fit inside the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Have a WRX....transport my bike in the trunk...and the rear seats do not fold down, it just fits.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    1992 Legacy wagon and it must be painted Dorian Grey because it doesn't seem to be aging badly at all. 229,000km and runs like a watch. Just stuck a set of Nokian WR tires on it so it matches at least one of my bikes for tire brands. Bikes fit inside the back.

Nice. Mine is a '93 but turbocharged. The bike fits nicely in the back however I will get a rack for it soon.

mbtr member
    im pretty sure you 4 are the only ones.

oh, and me and my 90 legacy. VRC subaru?

mbtr member
    double post! double post!

mtbr member
    I also drive a Subaru. 2004 Impreza Outback Sport. Waiting for a rack ($). I love this car to death. It was my first new car and she aint winning any beauty contests. But show me another car for less then 20K that can summit big bear mountain in California at 3 oclock in the morning with 3 200lb+ guys in it!

mtbr member
    2001 Forester. Yakima top mount is on the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    2 Subarus in the family. I drive an 02 WRX sedan, while my wife's car is an 06 Legacy wagon. We carry bikes on top of her car, with a Thule rack.

mtbr member
    I've got an '01 Outback with the 2.5 liter engine. In the last two weeks I've had a head gasket AND the catalytic converter replaced (thank God it was covered under warranty), and I don't yet have 65k miles on my car! I'm getting a little nervous at this point....
    I might start looking for a new place for my Yakimas

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Sorry Go Pirates. Thats a well known problem with those 2.5's (head gaskets).

The new 2.5's no longer have that problem. The dealership should have used the new gaskets when they did your repair so you shouldnt have anything to worry about for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
    Sorry Go Pirates. Thats a well known problem with those 2.5's (head gaskets).

The new 2.5's no longer have that problem. The dealership should have used the new gaskets when they did your repair so you shouldnt have anything to worry about for a while.
    I hope I'm good to go for a while, but one thing bothered me; the dealership claimed that Subaru would not replace both gaskets, only the bad one. I was hoping to replace both since they had the engine torn apart. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    woah, thats just bad practice in general.

I might want to contact Subaru directly. The fault is in the gasket design and replacing just one leaves the other prone to failure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    2002 WRX here, Yakima rack for the bikes and snowboards.

And I can see them only doing 1 of the headgaskets, seeing as how the other one means almost twice the labor as just doing one, so the dealer doesn't do labor they don't have too when they aren't getting paid for the labor time on warranty issues from a customer.

~~~~~~~~
    used to... been through a few, parents still loving their 6cyl. Outback, but we were throwing too much money at our last Impreza. Sure was fun to drive, and kind of thrashing our present Matrix XRS driving it like the subie.

Just saw a new WRX wagon and it looks cool, sort of want a baja too, actually what I really want is an old brat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
    woah, thats just bad practice in general.

I might want to contact Subaru directly. The fault is in the gasket design and replacing just one leaves the other prone to failure.

Thanks for the heads-up, SJ. I took your advice and emailed Subaru about the other gasket. I'm anxious to see their response.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    used to... been through a few, parents still loving their 6cyl. Outback, but we were throwing too much money at our last Impreza. Sure was fun to drive, and kind of thrashing our present Matrix XRS driving it like the subie.

Just saw a new WRX wagon and it looks cool, sort of want a baja too, actually what I really want is an old brat.

The Brat was cool!! Most states nowadays won't allow you to ride in the back of a truck (not kids anyways). Hell, the Brat had two bucket-seats back there.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I have a Toyota Tundra and a 1999 Subaru Forester. I love the Forester. Yakima racks on the roof. Plenty of room for my three dogs.

Head gasket leak 5,000 miles OUT OF WARRANTY. Bob Baker Subaru repaired for free! One year later, head gasket leak! Bob Baker Subaru and Subaru USA repaired for FREE!!
    Excellent vehicle, excellent customer service. I'm buying a new Forester at the end of this year.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have had good luck with Subaru service. You can find a dealer that will convince S.O.A. to do anything under warranty, even if it is expired. My mom got a Tribeca about a year ago. It is okay, but I prefer the outback. It does better in the snow and stuff.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    The Brat was cool!! Most states nowadays won't allow you to ride in the back of a truck (not kids anyways). Hell, the Brat had two bucket-seats back there.

The Brat came equiped with those seats and they had seat belts as well. States should let you ride back there since the vehicle was sold with those seats. They were there so Subaru could import the Brat as a passenger vehicle and avoid paying extra fee's for importing a "truck".

mtbr member
    2006 subie OBS. Yakima high rollers, mounted backward so I can open the hatch. Before I started riding 20mm axle forks, I had a set of rockymounts (on the factory cross bars) cut so I could open the hatch.

Those factory cross bars made me nervous with $10k worth of bike up there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    2004 WRX wagon. Love it. Has an OEM towbar for a T2 rack that I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snobordboi
    And I can see them only doing 1 of the headgaskets, seeing as how the other one means almost twice the labor as just doing one, so the dealer doesn't do labor they don't have too when they aren't getting paid for the labor time on warranty issues from a customer.
    twice the labor? once you have the acc belts, timing belt covers, timing belt, crank pulley, and that damn tensioner off, why not take the 15 minutes to pull the 3 bolts for the valve cover and 8 bolts for the head gasket? I sure would if i knew how to do any of that work.
    The revised head gaskets are supposed to be much more sturdy than the junk they were using in 2001. I wouldn't worry about it too much once they've been attended to. Was it the precat on the same side as the blown head gasket that failed?

hah, i was wondering if you were a 1.8t or a wrx owner, jayem.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Yeah ive never heard of anybody or any shop replacing just one head gasket. As I said before thats just plain bad practice period. There is really no additional work involved. You probably save $35 for the cost of the gasket.

Let us know if you get a reply from SOA.

-Brian

Page 1 of 109 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast