Page 91 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2708
    b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish View Post
    My 2011 sti. It serves as the daily/ bike hauler, can't carry anything in my other car! It's got factory load bars and yakima forklift attachments. Any recommendations for stiffer less flexy bike attachments? I'd like to cut the movement down a bit.

Movement as in how? What/where is it flexing? The load bars? The bike rack itself? Are you talking side-to-side sway or up and down movement from the bars bouncing?

I think we should start by swapping cars, and see if that helps. (nah, just kidding . . . I like my WRX )
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2013

Who else here drives a Subaru?

Throw a hitch on it. You don't have to cut anything on the sedans.

mtbr member

Re: Who else here drives a Subaru?

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Movement as in how? What/where is it flexing? The load bars? The bike rack itself? Are you talking side-to-side sway or up and down movement from the bars bouncing?
    Side to side, as the two bars of the yakima forklift aren't connected front to back, well at least at the back where there is only a u shaped bit of plastic. Undulations in the road or even a parking lot cause the bikes to sway a bit, and that's when the load bars start flexing. It has gotten worse as I have a longer travel, taller bike with a 15mm axle adapter, and it seems to be moving the load bars enough to start marking up the paint a bit, which hadn't happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by oKayH View Post
    Throw a hitch on it. You don't have to cut anything on the sedans.
    I assume this is directed at me, and I have been considering this for sure. I just haven't found which hitch is the most ideal for staying out of the way of the exhaust, and was unsure of prices of them. I saw curt hitches, as well as some talk of oem forester hitches working just fine. Nice hitch racks aren't cheap either!

Ultimately I'd be happy with the roof stuff if it is possible to stabilize the bikes with less flexy racks, it does fine with a carbon road bike, but suspension bikes nearing 5" are tall enough to make a difference it seems. Anything over 110 travel os where it really starts, and I don't want a surprise gouge in the paint under the bases!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Trees138 View Post
    Dude... I LOVE this car!

s ma bs

Nice! Looks good!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish View Post
    Side to side, as the two bars of the yakima forklift aren't connected front to back, well at least at the back where there is only a u shaped bit of plastic. Undulations in the road or even a parking lot cause the bikes to sway a bit, and that's when the load bars start flexing. It has gotten worse as I have a longer travel, taller bike with a 15mm axle adapter, and it seems to be moving the load bars enough to start marking up the paint a bit, which hadn't happened before.
    The issue is twofold.

1) The OEM load bars suck. They are no match for the Yakima round bars. That would be my first swap. You can retain the same clean look using Yakima Control Towers (see my post somewhere earlier in this thread).

2) The forklift isn't the best option out there, for the exact reason you noted - the two supports are only connected by a piece of plastic at the end. I personally use a High Roller, which allows me to keep the front wheel on. Much better option IMO.

As for hitches, the Curt hitch is what you want, and for the sedans is a no-brainer if you ask me. You could EASILY sell your roof setup to cover most of the cost of switching over to a hitch. The demand for the OEM roof gear is good.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    The issue is twofold.

1) The OEM load bars suck. They are no match for the Yakima round bars. That would be my first swap. You can retain the same clean look using Yakima Control Towers (see my post somewhere earlier in this thread).

2) The forklift isn't the best option out there, for the exact reason you noted - the two supports are only connected by a piece of plastic at the end. I personally use a High Roller, which allows me to keep the front wheel on. Much better option IMO.

As for hitches, the Curt hitch is what you want, and for the sedans is a no-brainer if you ask me. You could EASILY sell your roof setup to cover most of the cost of switching over to a hitch. The demand for the OEM roof gear is good.
    I got the bars essentially with the car, but I had read some people saying the yakima bars damaged the paint, likely it was a bit of misinformation! I do realize the forklift isn't ideal, I initially only used the rack rarely for mountain bikes, and it's fine with road bikes for sure. I had a front loader for a day, but I wasn't entirely comfortable lifting a 29er up and trying to get the front wheel seated, as I am around 5'8 5'9, so I just went with another forklift instead. I'll check out the high roller now. I'll also have a look on iwsti and see what the stuff seems to sell for. Thanks for all the input, I'm going to have a look around and see what turns out being ideal.

mtbr member
    ^ I'm glad we got that worked out? I was worried about that.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    2013 Outback 3.6R Limited, sporting a 1upUSA Roof Tray.

Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    I hope Subaru puts the new Outback on a diet, those things are HUGE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i like the current size... it works well for me and my family.

the previous generation, i did not own one, would have been a tad small for me...

but, i would have enjoyed that 2.5 turbo!!!

joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I hope Subaru puts the new Outback on a diet, those things are HUGE.
    Not really. They're mid-sized cars with big back seat perfect for space and utility without characteristics of a big vehicle. Our minivan, my bro's Forester, and other associates' vehicles as proof.

The Gen 4 maneuvers like my friends' earlier models but carry more.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Not really. They're mid-sized cars with big back seat perfect for space and utility without characteristics of a big vehicle.
    They're only mid-size compared to the current crop of land yachts.

mtbr member

The 2012 outback is shorter in length than a 2007. It may be a marginal amount less but It's not really what it must look like as it isn't really a bigger car than it has been and it is so so so much better inside.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    it's a personal thing.

my '05 forester 2.5x was okay when my kids were younger.

sold the forester and got a '09 odyssey because my pop just became wheel chair bound.

the odyssey was great for 7 people and wheel chair. i had a roof basket for the trips to the beach/park.

dad got worst and does not really go out any more so 'downsized' to a '12 outback.

the girls are bigger now and i find the size of the outback PERFECT.

one of the best things from coming from the odyssey is the ease of parking... that van is wide and the newer ones are a smidge wider!!!!

so, if you are used to driving smaller vehicles then it is possible the current outback is to big for you.

i like it!

joel

mtbr member
    My 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 with TRD etc only weighs about 200 pounds more than the new Outback 3.6. I'm sure the outback will out perform my taco on the road, but when are you ever going to drive that fast? Off road there's no point in comparing the two. The Outback is a sweet car, but if you want if for hauling stuff and getting to a trail head why nut just by a truck?
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    My 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 with TRD etc only weighs about 200 pounds more than the new Outback 3.6. I'm sure the outback will out perform my taco on the road, but when are you ever going to drive that fast? Off road there's no point in comparing the two. The Outback is a sweet car, but if you want if for hauling stuff and getting to a trail head why nut just by a truck?
    Coming from Toyta V6 4x4..... My Toyota was great but couldn't do what a full-sized truck or van does whether moving weight or volume. It used 6 - 11 MPG more than my 4 cyl Outback with anything I'd do. It was not as good on winter highway driving.

The gen 4 Outback has exceeded my expectations for off road use. I'm a private ski club director and bike trail manager. I drive the Outback off road 2 - 7 days a week moving tools or doing jobs. It beats about anything but the tractor with chains or Pisten Bully getting up the service road in winter.

No pickup or truck-based rig I've had is as comfy on a long road. It's much nicer driving a car and renting a utility vehicle when I need one. I used to drive Kenworths and Macks so maybe I like a car because I have no need or desire to play super trucker.

I'm sure the car doesn't fit what some want but the steady growth in sales should say enough as far as how good it is. There's a wonderful market out there with all shapes and sizes of vehicles. I remain pleased with all this car does, and my passengers love it.

mtbr member
    Coming from Toyta V6 4x4..... My Toyota was great but couldn't do what a full-sized truck or van does whether moving weight or volume. It used 6 - 11 MPG more than my 4 cyl Outback with anything I'd do. It was not as good on winter highway driving.

The gen 4 Outback has exceeded my expectations for off road use. I'm a private ski club director and bike trail manager. I drive the Outback off road 2 - 7 days a week moving tools or doing jobs. It beats about anything but the tractor with chains or Pisten Bully getting up the service road in winter.

No pickup or truck-based rig I've had is as comfy on a long road. It's much nicer driving a car and renting a utility vehicle when I need one. I used to drive Kenworths and Macks so maybe I like a car because I have no need or desire to play super trucker.

I'm sure the car doesn't fit what some want but the steady growth in sales should say enough as far as how good it is. There's a wonderful market out there with all shapes and sizes of vehicles. I remain pleased with all this car does, and my passengers love it.

Gas mileage...I forgot about that..the outback rules there too, but only on the highway. I was comparing the 6Cyl as the truck has a 6cyl as well.

As for off road...you and I have very different ideas of what off road is. I think you're thinking of rough dirt roads. The AWD system on the subie is great, however it will always be a car. The independent suspension will limit articulation. The bumpers are soooo long you have limited approach and departure angles. I drove my girlfriend's father's outback on rough dirt roads and was amazed by it, but those bumpers seriously limited where it could go. I can guarantee I can go places that an Outback would have zero chance of going. The solid rear axle and locking diff and ability to mount larger off road tires and easily add a lift make the tacoma a better off roader....blah blah blah.

We're comparing apples to oranges. They're both really good. The other thing I have is my Tacoma isn't my daily driver. I have a car for that. The truck is used for when I want to sleep in the back and carry cold water scuba gear for several people. I'd be totally happy with an Outback.
    I like to ride bikes.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    it's a personal thing.

my '05 forester 2.5x was okay when my kids were younger.

sold the forester and got a '09 odyssey because my pop just became wheel chair bound.

the odyssey was great for 7 people and wheel chair. i had a roof basket for the trips to the beach/park.

dad got worst and does not really go out any more so 'downsized' to a '12 outback.

the girls are bigger now and i find the size of the outback PERFECT.

one of the best things from coming from the odyssey is the ease of parking... that van is wide and the newer ones are a smidge wider!!!!

so, if you are used to driving smaller vehicles then it is possible the current outback is to big for you.

i like it!

joel
    The Outback is shorter? Didn't know that. We've got an 02 WRX wagon and an 03 Forester so if it's not much larger it will definitely be something to consider once prices start to come down. We're trying to save up to get out of our townhouse and into a house so the longer our cars last the better. And if mortgage interest rates fall again it won't hurt things either.

Wasting time
    '13 fxt
    2012 Diamondback Recoil

-I keep finding more bikes I "need"

mtbr member
    I finally got my "reasonable dream car"! Got it a several weeks back. I instantly installed a new stereo, put a hitch on for my Kuat, protecting front facing film, and tinted it. I'm lovin' it!

Front:
    Who else here drives a Subaru?-20130727_194647.jpg
    Rear & Curt hitch
    Who else here drives a Subaru?-20130728_121808.jpg
    Kuat
    Who else here drives a Subaru?-20130714_111004.jpg

SLO Mtn biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmisko View Post
    I finally got my "reasonable dream car"! Got it a several weeks back. I instantly installed a new stereo, put a hitch on for my Kuat, protecting front facing film, and tinted it. I'm lovin' it!
    Super clean hitch install! Dealer install?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I drive a 2011 Legacy 2.5i, the wife's car is an 06 LL Bean Outback. Trunk holds my Trek well, the back of the Outback carried my Trek and brother in law's cannondale quite well. The Outback has been on a few gravel road rally driving style adventures, and has been in the deep mud out on my family's land. I work as a service advisor for a Subaru dealer here in Indy.

The White Jeff W

New shoes on my '07 Outback

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1375383980820.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  42.7 KB

Who else here drives a Subaru?-uploadfromtaptalk1375384008945.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Anybody ever put real off road "shoes" on one?

SSlow rider
    Click the link for lots of images. As for me, I've only had street shoes on my three Subarus.

LINK

Page 91 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast