Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35 75 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2572
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger View Post
    We've been in contact with our lawyer a few times already with settlement offers and we aren't going for them. I already told him I won't settle until I have the cost of our property, a car title in my hand, and enough for another week long cruise to the Bahamas.
    You're not going to get that. Earlier you said you wanted $32k (what you originally paid for your car) and now you also want a cruise out of it. They're not going to pay msrp for a used vehicle. You have also stated you don't plan on treating. I don't know what state you're in or the laws there, but those I'm familiar with have a threshold for injury settlements and you aren't going to even sniff it with soft-tissue and no permanency. I hope your lawyer isn't working on a contingency fee because he is blowing smoke up your rear and waiting to collect 33% (of very little) if so. I believe you said this was a 5 vehicle loss and I would recommend if your state allows it to determine what the other guys limits are. You want to know how big the pie is before you make a bunch of outrageous (like msrp) demands.

I apologize for this post sounding abrasive, but having worked at an insurance company I've seen and heard much of what you're saying before. Best advice I can give you is to have your attorney do some work by verifying there are adequate limits for an injury settlement, and start treating if so. If the limits aren't there it's pointless and you lose. You can't squeeze water from a rock and if he has nothing there is no point in an excess judgment against him. Good luck.

mtbr member
    That's what contingency is. Your attorney only gets paid if you win.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    The guy who caused the accident didn't help his impression with all of his unwise remarks, but whether by choice or chance, him not apologizing means he didn't outright plead guilty. I've always heard that was a dark rule of thumb to adhere to in car accidents.

As far as Subaru's go, they seem to have remarkable crash worthiness. On the Outback forums a couple of people have managed to roll a couple on the trails, and once they were re-righted, there was very little obvious sign that a roll had occurred at all. There was another story about a Forester guy (BlueFox or SilverFox or some color) who was rear ended at speed on the highway. His Forrester rolled several times, and the cabin stayed intact.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Who else here drives a Subaru?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger View Post
    Yes, I guess I can attest firsthand to their crash-worthiness. I honestly believe had we been in my Camaro or my wife's old 2009 Audi A3 Quattro 2.0T that we'd be dead.

A few weeks after the accident occurred, her Audi wound up "glitching" while she was on her way home. She had left a light and the vehicle started shuddering and wouldn't exceed about five mph. She called me in a panic after making it to the side of the road. I told her to restart her car and see if it "fixed" the problem. She was able to make it home. Normally, I wouldn't have freaked and neither would she, but there are a lot of stretches of construction on high-speed interstates by us, as well as two lane back roads with no shoulders or pull-offs. What if this had happened on one of these roads? Even the back roads are 55 mph roads. What if this happened in one of these construction areas with barriers on each side of the road and no shoulder, just lanes? She could have been rear-ended and killed.

Yes, we liked the Audi, but as with any European car, it was "perceived quality." The radio/bluetooth were nice, the seats were nice, etc. The entire cabin was a very pleasant place to be, but mechanically, the DSG transmission hesitated from Day 1, then there was a recall on something for the fuel tank, so we had that done, and the CEL (check engine light) spent 95% of the time from that day lit up. We'd taken it to four different dealers and none of them could alleviate the issue for good.

Anyway, good riddance to that POS. I couldn't even put the headlights or taillights in myself. It wasn't like a GM car where there are a few "butterflies" in the trunk and you just pull the assembly out; oh no, on this one you had to remove the front tire, then remove the inner fender, then reach up through some "flap." I only found that out after my wife asked the tech at the dealership how to do it; or of course, you could let them do that and an alignment for $300.

There was only one choice, and that was a Subaru. There will ALWAYS be a Subaru in my garage, whether it's hers or mine. The funniest part of the whole story is that she was set on the Legacy (so was I) and when we drove it, we hated it. Subaru totally destroyed that car when they put in that ridiculous CVT transmission; HUGE mistake. I'd been trying to talk her into a Forester for years and she was adamant she absolutely hated them, and they were the ugliest things on the planet. I talked her into looking at them again and she started looking online. Naturally, the photo shown on the site was the base model with little, cheap looking wheels and just really...blah. At that point, she was like, "Oh, HELL NO!" Then, while we were sitting at the dealer's there was one in the showroom with some nicer wheels and stuff. She asked me, "What's that?" I said, "That's the ugly Forester you wanted nothing to do with." Then she went into the whole, "Well, that one's not bad looking." I told her, "That's because it's not the base model."

To make a long story short, we drove the Forester, and she really liked it, so that's what we ended up with.
    The Audi would have been safe at least, as to the GM car ... well you don't need legs to ride a bike, right?

PSA: always check the crash ratings at the insurance institute prior to buying a car. Save the injuries for single track - way more fun.

noob wheel drive
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    The Audi would have been safe at least, as to the GM car ... well you don't need legs to ride a bike, right?

PSA: always check the crash ratings at the insurance institute prior to buying a car. Save the injuries for single track - way more fun.
    Audi actually has to brush up on their safety.
    2012 Audi A4 small overlap test - YouTube

And GM's cars haven't always been class-leading...
    2013 Chevrolet Malibu small overlap test - YouTube

Subaru, as always, right next to Volvo in safety but still up there!
    2013 Subaru Legacy small overlap test - YouTube

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Audi actually has to brush up on their safety.
    2012 Audi A4 small overlap test - YouTube

And GM's cars haven't always been class-leading...
    2013 Chevrolet Malibu small overlap test - YouTube

Subaru, as always, right next to Volvo in safety but still up there!
    2013 Subaru Legacy small overlap test - YouTube
    Wow, I'm surprised how much the cabin crumpled on the Audi. I've always regarded them as very safe cars, but that was unexpected.

As for the Malibu...the wheel entering the cabin, the air bags rolling aside...that's plain scary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised how much the cabin crumpled on the Audi. I've always regarded them as very safe cars, but that was unexpected.

As for the Malibu...the wheel entering the cabin, the air bags rolling aside...that's plain scary.
    These are new tests, it'll take the car companies sometime to catch up. Sort of like the roof strength issue, lots of companies had super weak roofs even just a few years ago. I would've expected Audi to do better however.

Oh well, I can't afford the hassle of VW/Audi electrical ghosts anyway! I need Japanese reliability.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Wow, I'm surprised cars like the Accord, TL, and a few Lexus models had terrible small overlap results compared to the Subaru.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    In the case of those Lexus models they are nothing more than rebadged overpriced corrola's and camry's with more plastic pieces added...Sort of like a "cadillac" truck...really nothing more than an overpriced GMC....
    Accord and Acura TL are similar too BTW..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    In the case of those Lexus models they are nothing more than rebadged overpriced corrola's and camry's with more plastic pieces added...Sort of like a "cadillac" truck...really nothing more than an overpriced GMC....
    Accord and Acura TL are similar too BTW..
    Yeah I know. I got into an argument with my dad/brother about the Camry being the same exact car as the ES350 but $15k more expensive. They made a huge stink about it and when I proved them wrong they finally shut up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    Yeah I know. I got into an argument with my dad/brother about the Camry being the same exact car as the ES350 but $15k more expensive. They made a huge stink about it and when I proved them wrong they finally shut up.
    Avalon not Camry.

My parents have a Lincoln MKS. We have a Ford Fusion. They are the same basic car. However their car has options that aren't even available on the Fusion that were very important to my dad (Xenon headlamps and auto dimming side mirror) for night driving.

So no, the ES350 and the Camry are not the same car. The ES350 is $5k more than than the base Avalon, but probably compares more to the XLS with options.

And the ES350, Camry, Avalon, and many other cars have much quieter interiors than Subarus. My Forester is frickin' noisy compared to my wife's Fusion or even the base rental car Fusion we had on a vacation. Obviously different cars and different missions, but it would be nice not to hear a howl driving down the road. Probably my biggest complaint about the Forester.

Rides great. Handles great, especially on gravel roads or in bad weather. Packs a lot of crap. Tows a trailer when needed. But noisy noisy noisy for a highway commuter.
    Last edited by Gregon2wheels; 02-14-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Grammer and speeling (:o)

You can quiet down that Fozzy with some sound deadening materials. I did apply some Dynamat in my OB and it is a lot quieter then before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I don't what year you have, but the older models with frameless windows are super loud and as they get older they get worse. I used to commute 80 miles round trip in my 2002 and it was loud - luckily my hearing isn't the best from watching punk bands in the 80s.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    The frameless windows have this chronic problem of deflecting a little every time the door is opened, because it sticks to the weather seal a little. This deflecting slowly bends the little triangle module where the side mirrors are mounted to. Over time, it will start whistling at highway speeds and is very annoying. I find that if I roll the window down and massage the sealing part of that little triangle, it reforms the seal properly, and the car becomes much quieter on the highway.

I've found another big aspect of cabin noise is what tires are on there. I put touring tires on there for the last go around, and 9k later, road noise is still very minimal.

As for that sound deadening stuff like Dynamat, I've heard it does work, especially if you do it very extensively, while the cheaper tar-based substitutes are bad news down the line. But that's a whole other topic of discussion.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    Avalon not Camry.
    The Lexus ES shared the Camry platform from inception till 2011. It didn't move to the Avalon platform till 2012. The base 2011 ES350 was $27,748 and the base 2011 Camry was $14,871. That's almost a $13,000 increase for the ES350. Where did you get your info from?

BTW, I have an 02 WRX wagon and my wife has an 03 Forester. My car is super quiet on the highway, but my wife's Forester has a ton of wind noise. I've fixed most of it due to the side mirror gussets bending over time. I've had and riven several other brands of cars and I liked none of them as much as my Subaru. I had two Accords and two Civics before the Subaru and they were always breaking down. I've had the Subaru for 8 years now which is longer than all four of the Hondas combined.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010

... side mirror gussets bending over time. I've had and riven several other brands of cars and I liked none of them as much as my Subaru. I had two Accords and two Civics before the Subaru and they were always breaking down. I've had the Subaru for 8 years now which is longer than all four of the Hondas combined.
    Gussets - that's what they're called. Couldn't think of it earlier.

In the interest of fairness I'll give a counter point to the other brands. Before my Outback, I had a 2nd hand 2002 Civic, and it ran like clockwork for the 30k miles I put on it. I sold it after I got the OB, which was the car I'd really wanted the entire time. My friend and fellow biker has an old 1997 manual Accord coupe. He drives the bolts off of it, and it has just begun to have problems after passing 206k miles. My beloved OB on the other hand, got the dreaded head gasket leak. I discovered it at 126k, and it was still minor. Not sure how long it had been trickling away.

But I'll tell what though, no car I'd had before has ever had the "soul" that my OB has. Those other cars were merely tools to get me around. The OB, though...I feel a kinship to it that's hard to describe.

And as an aside, a buddy of mind owns a local Japanese car repair shop in town. He used to work on German cars, but no longer. He is as red blooded an American as there ever was, but when it comes to cars, his advice is, "When you're done f---ing around, go get a Toyota." The presence of my OB when I visit irks him to no end, since it isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I don't what year you have, but the older models with frameless windows are super loud and as they get older they get worse. I used to commute 80 miles round trip in my 2002 and it was loud - luckily my hearing isn't the best from watching punk bands in the 80s.
    We have 2 OB's in the family, one is an 2007 and the other is a 2011. Both are actually pretty quiet, even the 2007 one which has the frameless side windows. I like the older model better for looks but the 2011 is bigger and uses less gas even if it is a H6 vs the 2.5 in my mom's '07..

I <3 dirt

Hmmm I'll have to look at my window things on my wagon now....
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Lexus ES shared the Camry platform from inception till 2011. It didn't move to the Avalon platform till 2012. The base 2011 ES350 was $27,748 and the base 2011 Camry was $14,871. That's almost a $13,000 increase for the ES350. Where did you get your info from?
    I read it somewhere and double checked the wheelbases of the two cars. Why are you comparing the 4 banger Camry to the V6 350? The 2011 Toyota Camry XLE V6 had an MSRP of $29,845. That's $2,000 more than the base ES350.

I guess I don't understand your complaint, seeing as how options could double the price of the Camry without even considering the ES350. Having driven base model and XLE Camrys, there is a very different level of luxury in each. Some people want more than just basic transportation.

I could make the same argument about a 2002 Subaru Impreza: why spend $6000 more on a turbocharger? That's the difference in MSRP according to MSN Autos. Obviously the nature of the cars is VERY different, but my point is that you could have gotten the same cargo room, the AWD, and better gas mileage if you had chosen to save money. Instead you opted for more performance and fun for additional cost. The Camry base model / XLE / ES350 is the same logic, except substitute luxury for fun.

The frameless windows have this chronic problem of deflecting a little every time the door is opened, because it sticks to the weather seal a little. ...I've found another big aspect of cabin noise is what tires are on there. I put touring tires on there for the last go around, and 9k later, road noise is still very minimal.
    I also tore the rubber seal around the door. The rubber seals in my old Saturn (which was louder inside than the Forester when I traded in the Saturn for the Forester) cost $50 to replace. The Subaru's seals cost $160. I had a body shop replace the torn seal and bend everything back in place. That helped enough so that I could hear my AT tires (need to get out in really, really bad weather sometimes and lots of gravel roads around here).

It's a good car. It fits all my crap. It gets acceptable gas mileage. The seats are still comfortable. Maintenance costs have generally been low. I've driven it 10 years and 100,000 miles on it. It doesn't owe me anything.

It's just that now I have a 100 mile round trip commute at 65 and 70 mph when previous commutes have been shorter and/or slower. It started a year ago and will go through the end of this year. If that drops to 50 miles a week, the noise is a small price to pay for the benefits of a paid off car until it's not reliable anymore. If that stays at 100 miles 3 - 4 days a week, I'll be getting a new car.

As for that sound deadening stuff like Dynamat, I've heard it does work....
    I looked at those threads on the Subaru forums. For the sail panels in the doors, I did add a little material and it helped a little bit. I am very leery about disconnecting/connecting the clips and attachments for the door panels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Isn't a turbo Subaru way more fun to drive than a boring Camry or Lexus?

mtbr member
    My 04 WRX Wagon is fun. I have 182k on it and recently had the 60k maintenance interval done. Thing smoked like crazy about a mile from the dealer, but after it drives smoother. I know it's cleaning, but I still cringed when looking out the rearview!

I looked at a XV while there, but mine's paid for and makes me smile. I like the idea of 30ish mpg vs. 23ish. I try to go easy to maximize my mpg, but that 2.0L revs so nice since my tune a year ago.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post

I looked at those threads on the Subaru forums. For the sail panels in the doors, I did add a little material and it helped a little bit. I am very leery about disconnecting/connecting the clips and attachments for the door panels.
    It's been more than a year since I really dived into researching those sound deadening mats, so I've forgotten most of the brand names and which was better / just as good for a lower price. But what I do remember is people reporting that the more thoroughly you pealed away your upholstery and stuck this stuff on, the quieter things will get. I was interested in this stuff back when I had an 02 Civic Lx. As reliable as that car was, it had the acoustical qualities of a porta-potty. I sold it before I ever did any sound deadening, though I did remove a door panel to get at the speakers, and that was very easy. With my OB I haven't felt the need to quiet it any more. It is satisfactory as is.

I remember one big controversy on the sound deadening topic was whether to use name brand stuff at $60+ per square foot, vs going to Lowes and buying rolls of adhesive roof lining for $0.15 per square foot. I read through a lot of forums, and many people who used the roof liner said it worked just as good at first, but then their updates in the summer months were about how it melted or stunk up the car. As I recall, it came down to the real sound deadening mats being foam based, and the roofing sheets being tar based material. The results were pretty clear to me, though I'm sure this controversy still goes on.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
    My 04 WRX Wagon is fun. I have 182k on it and recently had the 60k maintenance interval done. Thing smoked like crazy about a mile from the dealer, but after it drives smoother. I know it's cleaning, but I still cringed when looking out the rearview!

I looked at a XV while there, but mine's paid for and makes me smile. I like the idea of 30ish mpg vs. 23ish. I try to go easy to maximize my mpg, but that 2.0L revs so nice since my tune a year ago.
    Are you smoking because it's burning oil, or do you mean they put some sea-foam in it? By the time you see smoke from oil instead of just smelling it, it means you're burning a good amount of it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I can't think of any "tune up" where smoking afterwards would be a good thing. If oil is accumulating in the intercooler, your turbo is wearing down and needs to be replaced. If it's "burning oil" for some other reason, that also could be real bad. I think they must have somehow spilled some oil on/down your exhaust or downtube or something.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Look up sound deadener showdown. That Site has a LOT of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    It's been more than a year since I really dived into researching those sound deadening mats, so I've forgotten most of the brand names and which was better / just as good for a lower price. But what I do remember is people reporting that the more thoroughly you pealed away your upholstery and stuck this stuff on, the quieter things will get. I was interested in this stuff back when I had an 02 Civic Lx. As reliable as that car was, it had the acoustical qualities of a porta-potty. I sold it before I ever did any sound deadening, though I did remove a door panel to get at the speakers, and that was very easy. With my OB I haven't felt the need to quiet it any more. It is satisfactory as is.

I remember one big controversy on the sound deadening topic was whether to use name brand stuff at $60+ per square foot, vs going to Lowes and buying rolls of adhesive roof lining for $0.15 per square foot. I read through a lot of forums, and many people who used the roof liner said it worked just as good at first, but then their updates in the summer months were about how it melted or stunk up the car. As I recall, it came down to the real sound deadening mats being foam based, and the roofing sheets being tar based material. The results were pretty clear to me, though I'm sure this controversy still goes on.

Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35 75 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 95 ... LastLast