Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2708
    fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I don't know why people would even bother wasting time doing it IN the car. Sounds like a nightmare.

I just put an engine in my boss's car earlier in the week. I'm getting disturbingly quick at it all by myself lol. Took 40 minutes from it sitting on a stand to being bolted to the trans.
    I did my head gaskets with the engine still in the car and fully bolted to the engine mounts still. It is a nightmare, but that was the only way. My reason is lack of space. I don't have room in my garage to maneuver a cherry picker into place.

I'm hoping your boss took you out for a few beers for that.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    I did my head gaskets with the engine still in the car and fully bolted to the engine mounts still. It is a nightmare, but that was the only way. My reason is lack of space. I don't have room in my garage to maneuver a cherry picker into place.

Sohc or dohc? I know sohc you can leave the cams in to get to the head bolts but I've never actually done it on one. I've only worked on turbo cars.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    edit - deleted for double post. Don't know why it did that.
    Last edited by Zuarte; 12-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    My Subaru OB 3.6 has a 5 speed automatic, and I get 30 MPG on the highway @ 70 MPH...
    Is that on a 4th gen OB? I haven't looked into them much, but I thought they only had a manual or a CVT. That's awesome mileage for a 6 cyl. My 2nd gen 2.5 manages 27.5 mpg at best, and that's with trying to get the best mileage.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Yes, that is a 2011 OB. In the city my milage isn't great, but still better than my truck did on the highway.
    I drive between the Keys and Ft Lauderdale a lot and that has kept my average mileage at around 27.6 city/highway and towing my boat for over 40K miles..I am quite happy with those results. My only gripe with the car are the crummy OEM tires..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Sohc or dohc? I know sohc you can leave the cams in to get to the head bolts but I've never actually done it on one. I've only worked on turbo cars.
    It's a SOHC. If it was a DOHC, I don't think I would have had the will to do it myself, what with taking 4 cam shafts out and messing with valve shims, etc. Somebody on the Outback forums did a head gasket job on a DOHC while in car, and wrote an illustrated tutorial. So much easier with a SOHC, however.

mtbr member
    Is that on a 4th gen OB? I haven't looked into them much, but I thought they only had a manual or a CVT. That's awesome mileage for a 6 cyl. My 2nd gen 2.5 manages 27.5 mpg at best, and that's with trying to get the best mileage.
    Yeah, that is pretty good. My 3rd gen. wont even get 27mpg, at least not at freeway speeds. Kinda wishing I'd gone 4th gen ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member

Ahhh, hoping I don't have to become familiar with this process. I've been noticing a coolant smell on occasion on my '07 w/ 53k miles, and it was pretty low on coolant when I checked this weekend -- well below the add line (could see about an inch of coolant in the bottle when warm, nothing in the bottle when cold and not driven for 2 days). No visible leaking under the car, and the exhaust doesn't smell of coolant or appear to have visible steam, so hopefully it is just inadvertence and very slow burnoff, although I haven't had a car that used a bit of coolant for about 10 yrs now. I've only had the car since Oct. 1st, and really never closely checked it before.

I filled it back up yesterday and will be tracking closely. We'll see what happens ...
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    2012 Forester - great car/suv - I don't get to drive it much though, my wife claims it.

Patiently waiting on the return of the Brat........
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Ahhh, hoping I don't have to become familiar with this process. I've been noticing a coolant smell on occasion on my '07 w/ 53k miles, and it was pretty low on coolant when I checked this weekend -- well below the add line (could see about an inch of coolant in the bottle when warm, nothing in the bottle when cold and not driven for 2 days). No visible leaking under the car, and the exhaust doesn't smell of coolant or appear to have visible steam, so hopefully it is just inadvertence and very slow burnoff, although I haven't had a car that used a bit of coolant for about 10 yrs now. I've only had the car since Oct. 1st, and really never closely checked it before.

I filled it back up yesterday and will be tracking closely. We'll see what happens ...
    I frequent the subaruoutback.org forums, and the consensus by the more experienced wrenchers on there is that the 2.5L SOHC engine can be nursed along for many many miles with a small coolant leak. But once you suspect it might have one, you must be very vigilant on checking that the car has enough coolant. Overheating should be avoided as much as possible with Subes.

Try this: Once the car is up to operating temperature, look in your coolant bottle and see if there are bubbles coming up through the liquid. If there are, you have an internal leak, where the coolant is mixing with the combustion cycle. You mentioned not being able to smell coolant in the exhaust, but look in the bottle to be sure. If there are no bubbles, but you're still loosing a lot of coolant, you could have an external leak to the outside of the engine. This latter kind is not as urgent as the former.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got a coolant leak, because I re-installed the coolant hose just slightly wrong, and the belt cut into it. It wouldn't leak all the time, only when I pushed it and at odd times. It was hard to track, until I found it actually spurting. Easy fix, and it was totally my fault. It had to be positioned "just right" to not rub.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    oem radiators are known to crack at the plastic end-tanks. I had the smell and wasn't able to find the crack until the car was a operating temp.

I replaced mine with a Mishimoto and it was about an hour job.

mtbr member
    I frequent the subaruoutback.org forums, and the consensus by the more experienced wrenchers on there is that the 2.5L SOHC engine can be nursed along for many many miles with a small coolant leak. But once you suspect it might have one, you must be very vigilant on checking that the car has enough coolant. Overheating should be avoided as much as possible with Subes.

Try this: Once the car is up to operating temperature, look in your coolant bottle and see if there are bubbles coming up through the liquid. If there are, you have an internal leak, where the coolant is mixing with the combustion cycle. You mentioned not being able to smell coolant in the exhaust, but look in the bottle to be sure. If there are no bubbles, but you're still loosing a lot of coolant, you could have an external leak to the outside of the engine. This latter kind is not as urgent as the former.
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'll be checking it frequently now, that is for sure. I put in some OEM coolant mixed w/ the Subaru stop-leak the other day, we'll see what happens.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    loving my 2012 wrx, still cant decide on which roof rack setup to get, thule, yakima, or oem... anyone have any recommendations?

IMG_0328-1 by nyrangerfan222, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'll be checking it frequently now, that is for sure. I put in some OEM coolant mixed w/ the Subaru stop-leak the other day, we'll see what happens.
    When I had my '01 Forester (I work for a Subaru dealer, in sales), we put the Subaru coolant conditioner in after noticing a small leak from the gaskets, and it clotted and I drove it just fine for close to a year before replacing the gaskets. Good luck!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    loving my 2012 wrx, still cant decide on which roof rack setup to get, thule, yakima, or oem... anyone have any recommendations?
    Yakima Control Towers + Round bars + 42" fairing is a great setup. I JUST went through this debate and this is what I ended up with. I know a lot of folks like the OEM setup, but to me its kinda hideous looking and without a fairing, its worse.

(Ignore the crap coloring on this pic)

Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    Well, it looks nice and clean like that! I sure wouldn't want to mess that up, so I'd go hitch, ever day and sunday.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, it looks nice and clean like that! I sure wouldn't want to mess that up, so I'd go hitch, ever day and sunday.
    Gotta cut the bumper to do that on the current gen hatches. I'd much prefer a hitch as well, but I am not into cutting up my brand new car . . .

I <3 dirt
    I had to cut a bit of mine on my MY04 for a hitch as well. Worth it.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

b a n n e d
    I had to cut a bit of mine on my MY04 for a hitch as well. Worth it.
    I'm sure I eventually will too, but for now I'm going to deal with the roof rack.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Loved my 2007 WRX STi. But totaled it and upgraded to 325hp Audi allroad quattro, with Twin-Turbo V6. Love the Boxer - but the Audi 2.7T and quattro AWD is simply unbeatable....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Loved my 2007 WRX STi. But totaled it and upgraded to 325hp Audi allroad quattro, with Twin-Turbo V6. Love the Boxer - but the Audi 2.7T and quattro AWD is simply unbeatable....
    If there was ever a less reliable car then a turbo subaru you sure found it ahaha

They do look awesome though and being able to adjust ride height is sweet too
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    If there was ever a less reliable car then a turbo subaru you sure found it ahaha

They do look awesome though and being able to adjust ride height is sweet too
    Very true. I used to rebuild Porsche engines and I love wrenching. I have a Stage 3 tune planned for the Audi.....shooting for 400awhp!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I <3 dirt
    I've read/heard once you replace those stock turbos with something good the engine is good to go. They still have their electrical gremlins
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I modified the "sport works" roof rack (adapted from a hitch rack) to carry the fat bike, works great.

Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 ... LastLast