Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2763
    MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    The XV in orange is niiiiice.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice XV! I have a Venetian red pearl 5 speed coming in hopefully in the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    The XV in orange is niiiiice.
    I love it too.

mtbr member
    Nice looking XV! I originally went to the Subi dealer looking for one, but ended up with an Outback only b/c the cargo area in the XV was a bit too small for my scuba gear (doubles, deco bottles, and so on for technical diving).
    There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Nice XV! I have a Venetian red pearl 5 speed coming in hopefully in the next couple weeks.
    So, no 6 speed yet? The 2014 forester will have one I guess.

mtbr member
    Decided to go Kayaking the other day!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    2011 Outback limited in Burgundy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    So, no 6 speed yet? The 2014 forester will have one I guess.
    Nope It's silly to make cars without a 6 speed nowadays. The car could certainly use an extra gear for highway cruising.

b a n n e d
    Nope It's silly to make cars without a 6 speed nowadays. The car could certainly use an extra gear for highway cruising.
    All depends on the gear ratio's. The STI has a 6pd gearbox, but all the gears are quite short and there's virtually no added benefit over the 5MT in the WRX.

I just wish they'd make the FXT in a manual again
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just bought a '09 Forester XT Limited last Friday. I'm pretty damn excited about it! I've owned nothing but Nissan Sentras my entire life (1993, 2002 that I built the engine on and added a huge turbo... now it sits in the garage for no good reason, and a 2005), so I was very happy to get away from those, though I still own the '02 and '05. I got my AWD and factory turbo, finally! Now I just need to get crossbars for the roof rack so I can swap over my Thule bike stuff. I have a hitch, but not a fan of doing a hitch mounted rack, too many nightmares of some dumbass rearending me and taking out my precious bikes.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltony527 View Post
    Yeah ive never heard of anybody or any shop replacing just one head gasket. As I said before thats just plain bad practice period. There is really no additional work involved. You probably save $35 for the cost of the gasket.
    No additional work required? Have you ever looked at a Subaru engine?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Just picked it up on Sunday afternoon.

I <3 dirt
    No additional work required? Have you ever looked at a Subaru engine?
    If the engine is out and one head is already off then no; not a lot of work to do the other one. Maybe another book hour at a shop tops. No additional work is not quite what I'd say though lol

That's just bad practice though especially on a Subaru. If one leaks the other will follow soon enough.

I've done plenty of work on subarus just to clarify.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    The Impreza, XV Crosstrek, and WRX are now the only vehicles with a 5-speed manual. The rest have the 6-speed manual available

Heck, I think Subaru is sending all the leftover 5-speeds to the USA, because the rest of the world gets the 6-speed with the 2.0 liter FB20 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    All depends on the gear ratio's. The STI has a 6pd gearbox, but all the gears are quite short and there's virtually no added benefit over the 5MT in the WRX.

Probably not happening due to lack of sales

Also, the new Forester XT is a CVT-only combination. If you want manual control, there are 6-speed and 8-speed shiftable modes, SI-Drive...

and X-Mode, Subaru's low-traction and hill-descent control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Our 2002 Forester is geared very low compared to our 2009 Impreza. The new car seems fine on the highway, the old car is yelling at speed.
    Last edited by SS Hack; 12-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Our 2002 Forester is geared very low compared to our 2009 Impreza. The new car seems fine on the highway, the old car is yelling at speed.
    Not exactly a fair comparison, because Subaru often gives the Forester and Outback shorter gearing (most likely for potential towing and light off-road use) due to a different final drive.

The final drive ratios for Foresters and Outbacks (the soft off-roaders) often are shorter than their regular-Subaru counterparts.

I believe for the longest time, the Forester and Outback with the 5-speed manual had a final drive ratio of 4.11 while most regular 5MT Imprezas and Legacies made do with a taller, 3.90 final drive ratio.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    If the engine is out and one head is already off then no; not a lot of work to do the other one. Maybe another book hour at a shop tops. No additional work is not quite what I'd say though lol

That's just bad practice though especially on a Subaru. If one leaks the other will follow soon enough.

I've done plenty of work on subarus just to clarify.
    I know you have. I think removing another cylinder head qualifies as additional work though, especially if the engine is still in the car. Although, I wouldn't want to do it while still on the car either.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Here's my '07 Legacy

Bike fits in the back pretty well

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010

Figured I may as well post mine, as a new member here. Here's my '03 on a trip to Big Bear a few months ago. My friend is posing proudly next to his Jamis steed.

mtbr member
    I used to ...2010 Subaru WRX STI and 2000 Subaru Impreza RS.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

No, I second the "it's silly to not make cars with 6spds these days". My wrx had a great spread of the gears, and the short gearing of the sti is great, but you really need a nice long gear for the highway or the proper speeds to drop the RPM and increase the mileage significantly. With the WRX you'd see a pretty good boost in mileage if you could drop the rpm to say 2000 at 65. You'd have to downshift for steep hills, but it would be more efficient. 5 is the least I'd consider, but only in some rare cases. Autos and manuals should be 6spd to start with, go 7 or even 8. That subaru is still making a 4spd auto is inexcusable IMO. They are the last to really take hold of new technology (direct injection, twin scroll turbos on us models, etc), but usually when they do, it's pretty solid. Here's to hoping they see the light.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have thought about test driving a XV but I'm afraid that I'll have to bring it home. I really don't like car payments.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No, I second the "it's silly to not make cars with 6spds these days". My wrx had a great spread of the gears, and the short gearing of the sti is great, but you really need a nice long gear for the highway or the proper speeds to drop the RPM and increase the mileage significantly. With the WRX you'd see a pretty good boost in mileage if you could drop the rpm to say 2000 at 65. You'd have to downshift for steep hills, but it would be more efficient. 5 is the least I'd consider, but only in some rare cases. Autos and manuals should be 6spd to start with, go 7 or even 8. That subaru is still making a 4spd auto is inexcusable IMO. They are the last to really take hold of new technology (direct injection, twin scroll turbos on us models, etc), but usually when they do, it's pretty solid. Here's to hoping they see the light.
    I'm with you about needing a low final gear. My Outback is a 5 MT, and in 5th gear it hangs at 3200 rpm for 65 mph. It really needs to be brought down to around 2500 for such a speed.

Subaru, however, no longer offers a 4 speed auto for their Legacy and Outback. Now its either a 6 MT or a CVT, which gets great mileage for a full time awd car.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    I'm with you about needing a low final gear. My Outback is a 5 MT, and in 5th gear it hangs at 3200 rpm for 65 mph. It really needs to be brought down to around 2500 for such a speed.

Subaru, however, no longer offers a 4 speed auto for their Legacy and Outback. Now its either a 6 MT or a CVT, which gets great mileage for a full time awd car.
    My Subaru OB 3.6 has a 5 speed automatic, and I get 30 MPG on the highway @ 70 MPH...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

I <3 dirt
    I know you have. I think removing another cylinder head qualifies as additional work though, especially if the engine is still in the car. Although, I wouldn't want to do it while still on the car either.
    I don't know why people would even bother wasting time doing it IN the car. Sounds like a nightmare.

I just put an engine in my boss's car earlier in the week. I'm getting disturbingly quick at it all by myself lol. Took 40 minutes from it sitting on a stand to being bolted to the trans.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 ... LastLast