Page 77 of 112 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2777
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    ^^ What other cars have you driven? What were you expecting from a 5 year old base model? Where do you live?
    I've also driven a '09 Jetta Sportwagen. More money than the Soob, but it felt very nice inside. I sat in it and thought "wow, this is a nice car!". However, at least on the test route that I took it on, I can't say it drove any better than the Soob did. A no D, so I'm hesitant to go that route.

I live in RI. I wasn't expecting a Mercedes or anything like that, but I keep hearing how much people love their OB's and how nice they are. I guess I had set my expectatations too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    We're talking about a regular outback or an outback sport? Big difference in size. The sport is an impreza chassis which is fairly small inside. The regular outback is pretty large.

And yes, base model cars are just that...base model. I'd say shop around more and find one with more options. That body style is the best looking for the regular outback IMO.
    I drove the regular wagon. I wouldn't describe it as "large" though. I sat in the pass seat, and to get mostly comfortable I had to put the seat back all the way. Then, I sat in the pass side rear seat, and my knees were jammed up against the back of the front seat. Cargo area with the seats down looked decently sized though.

And I agree 100%, that body style is the best looking, and to go even further, I think the 05-07 models are the best of that body style. The '08-'09 front end doesn't look as good IMO. I like the extra size of the 4th gen though, and despite it's wierd looks that's the one I'd pick if cost were not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Funny analysis, b/c in my mind, that is exactly what an Outback is -- a very useful transportation appliance. It can get you where you want to go in most any conditions, and allow you to bring your stuff there, too. I don't think anyone would confuse a 2.5i as being a driver's car! Is is a transportation appliance, plain and simple. It is a pair of trail runners or light hiking shoes, not a pair of athletic shoes or nice dress shoes! If you want to get bikes, skis, or whatever up rough or snowy roads, that is where an Outback seems to shine. That said, I don't think the Outback feels any different than a comparably equipped Accord, Camry, Malibu, etc, which is part why I went w/ the Outback. It felt the same as the other cars, but just had a little more capability for the things I like to do.

If you want a few more bells and whistles, the limited models are a little nicer inside, and might help you have that warm and fuzzy feeling. I drove a couple, and the leather seats and upgraded stereo were nice. Plus, that sunroof is pretty neat -- it is huge. But in the end, I was only shopping for an appliance to get myself to and from work, to the trails, and give me secure transportation in inclement weather. So I went with a pretty standard 2.5i wagon (not the "basic", but the "i" model w/ the 17" wheels and stuff like that). If I want to feel special, I'll climb in the fully loaded Suburban my wife drives!
    Actually, after thinking about it more over the weekend and talking to some friends, I have to agee with you. With what I'm looking for in a car at this point, an appliance is what it's going to be.

This is replacing my '97 Grand Cherokee, and what I really want is another SUV, but I just drive too much to be able to justify getting that type of mileage. Four hundred miles a week at 17mpg just doesn't work for me.

So basically what I need is an AWD wagon if I want something comparable to the Jeep with better mileage. So that leaves the Outback, the Volvo XC70, and the Audi as pretty much the only options. It's hard to find a Volvo with under 100k miles for a decent price, and from what I've read about Audi's, they're the kind of car you do not want to own out of warranty. So I might have to just get over it and learn to love the Subaru.

Plus, I still have my LS1 Firebird as a fun car, so I suppose it won't kill me to have a boring daily driver, haha.

I'd like to find a LTD, but I don't see too many around. Before I looked at the '07, there was an '06 LTD at a nearby dealer that I had actually set out to drive that day. Turns out it was sold, so I went around the corner to where the '07 was and drove that one instead.

I'm thinking of offering them my Jeep in trade, plus 11k. I'd be happy with that deal, and even private party I wouldn't expect to get any more than 1500 for the Jeep, so that owuld save me a few bucks on sales tax and the trouble of selling it. I guess it depends on how bad they want to get rid of the car. The saleman told me they usually have a 15-18 day turnover, and that car has been there for at least a month that I know of.

mtbr member
    I don't want to quote the entire previous response, but a couple thoughts:

1) I agree that the 3rd gen isn't a very big car on the inside. That is probably my main complaint about the car after nearly a month of owing an '07 OB. Drivers comfort is ok, but at 'only' 6' tall, my seat is all the way back, which leaves very little room for a rear passenger, even a small one. Then there's the width of the seat, which is kind of a joke. A car seat and 2 boosters are a no-go. I never really crawled around back there much before buying -- I mean, you see Outbacks touted as a "family vehicle" all over the place -- but the car really isn't big enough to transport 3 kids in seats, at least on a regular basis. We have child #4 due to arrive in the spring, so the Outback really never was intended to be our family hauler, anyway, but I am a little disappointed with the interior seating capabilities.

2) I just think the OB is a different car than the Audi or Volvo. Quattro is a great AWD system, but is more performance oriented than 'offroad' oriented (good snow cars, though). Plus, there is the ride height (at least on the A4). And if you find a bi-turbo Allroad, you won't get much better mpg than the Grand Cherokee. The OB is a good alternative to an SUV that is not used to tow or 4x4 a lot, IMO.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Ok, at least there's a place more expensive than California.
    Yep, it is worse than California. I truly hate this place but my job is in Manhattan. How much are the premiums in California?
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    A Jetta wagon and Outback aren't in the same class of cars at all. If you don't need AWD there are plenty of cars to consider besides an Outback.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Had an LL bean H6 3.0, never found it to be "small", in fact found the rear seats pretty generous. It may not be crown-vic large, but it's better than pretty much any midsize SUV I've ridden in, any wrx/mazda3-sized car by FAR.

And yeah, the outback is made to travel off-road. It's anti-sway bars are weak to soak up asymmetrical bumps (even though it feels like it's clawing the road on the dry and flat), it's springs are soft for similar reasons and ease of driving off road. Now my parents have a 2012 outback and it goes much further in this direction than the old H6 3.0, it's more specialized for it's intended role. It's not going to carve up the dry like a low and stiff performance car. If it did, it'd ride like poop off road.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Yep, it is worse than California. I truly hate this place but my job is in Manhattan. How much are the premiums in California?
    Not very cheap. I have State Farm's highest driver safety rating (42 years old) and pay a little more than 400 every six months for an 2009 Impreza Premium (non turbo). The old 2002 Forester is like 300 or so. I know "TV insurance" could be less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not very cheap. I have State Farm's highest driver safety rating (42 years old) and pay a little more than 400 every six months for an 2009 Impreza Premium (non turbo). The old 2002 Forester is like 300 or so. I know "TV insurance" could be less.
    We are still talking about full coverage, right? I had State Farm, the greedy bastards were jacking up my rates for no reason. I cancelled them and asked my accountant to find me a better deal. I went with Hartford insurance.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    We are still talking about full coverage, right? I had State Farm, the greedy bastards were jacking up my rates for no reason. I cancelled them and asked my accountant to find me a better deal. I went with Hartford insurance.
    Full coverage and lots of it; I've had the same agent since I was 16, maybe that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That seems quite high if you're 54. I'm 28 and pay $52 a month for full coverage on my 04 wrx.
    Thats kind of comparing apples to oranges. Insurance is always lower on an older car because the value decreases with the cars age. Full coverage also varies and with a $250 deductible my rate is pretty low. It's farm bureau so no internet insurance. I suppose having two driving age teenage sons doesn't help either. Considering all of that, I think the rate is pretty good.

Compared to other performance cars I have owned the subarus have always been more durable and less costly to own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That seems quite high if you're 54. I'm 28 and pay $52 a month for full coverage on my 04 wrx.
    Thats kind of comparing apples to oranges. Insurance is always lower on an older car because the value decreases with the cars age. Full coverage also varies and with a $250 deductible my rate is pretty low. It's farm bureau so no internet insurance. I suppose having two driving age teenage sons doesn't help either. Considering all of that, I think the rate is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Full coverage and lots of it; I've had the same agent since I was 16, maybe that helps.

Cool. I do not have much choice for the time being. It is great to hear that you are a loyal customer and your agent is doing his job. I no longer own a Subaru so my premium is higher right now.

mtbr member
    Finally got to go ride yesterday, here's my Subaru, bike, and rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else here drives a Subaru?-niner-ob-kuat-small.jpg  

There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice bike, car, and rack!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Good job!

Nice set-up Camel Toad! I have the same color OB but a 1Up rack...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Thanks, I am pretty happy with all three (car, bike, rack).

I saw a 1up yesterday, and it's really solid. I like it a lot, too! I bought the NV based on a few people I know that have one.

The OB is a big change from a Nissan Titan. It doesn't feel like it's mine yet, but I just crossed 400 miles on the ODO. In the last 8 days I've driven a whopping 49 miles
    -Willow Rockwell

You'll be putting more miles on soon.. I am almost at 40K miles in 2 years...

mtbr member
    My 9yr old truck had only 69.5k when I sold it...I work from home

Anyway, what kind of mpg are you getting? Looks like my first tank was 21.5, which is disappointing since I didn't drive aggressively. I can't remember for sure if I reset the trip meter when the dealer topped it off. We'll see how it goes.
    -Willow Rockwell

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My 2006 WRX has 170,000 miles on it. I bought it new in the fall of 2006.

My 80+ mile a day commute recently went to 12 miles a day.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    My 9yr old truck had only 69.5k when I sold it...I work from home

Anyway, what kind of mpg are you getting? Looks like my first tank was 21.5, which is disappointing since I didn't drive aggressively. I can't remember for sure if I reset the trip meter when the dealer topped it off. We'll see how it goes.
    I have the 3.6 as I tow my skiff around, which the car does very well BTW. Last 1000 miles I averaged 27.6 MPG. That includes towing, city/Hwy and going to the trail-system doing maintenance. If I just drive on the Hwy than the OB gets 29-31 MPG and I am not driving like a granny as that gets you killed down here..
    The mileage will improve but IMHO after 500-1000 miles you need to drive it like you stole it. Keep an eye on the engine oil and change at 1000 miles regardless of what the dealer and manual tell you. I use synthetic oil and from now on will only use Redline as Mobil1 sucks. Both my mom's and my OB seem to evaporate that oil, unlike Valvoline or Pennzoil we used before. My brother drives a GTI and on the forums he is on, the talk about Mobil1 is not good either...

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbopit View Post
    My 2006 WRX has 170,000 miles on it. I bought it new in the fall of 2006.

My 80+ mile a day commute recently went to 12 miles a day.
    WRX's rock!

mtbr member
    Just bought my third Subaru. The only cars I've ever owned. I scored a 91 Legacy wagon with only 122k original miles on it.

The shop I took it into to just do an alignment after buying even mentioned how crazy good condition the engine looked to be in.

I'm planning on putting a 2-3" body lift in and see what tires I can snug in there because out of all I've owned, I've always wished for just a touch more clearance.

b a n n e d
    Pew Pew Pew!

Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just picked it up today -

mtbr member
    Nice color.

Page 77 of 112 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 87 ... LastLast