Page 76 of 109 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2708
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    Thanks guys, for the tips and advice. I appreciate it

I was looking at the whispbars that go across the oem rails and either the forkloader or something like that and a hitch setup like the Kuat NV.

A buddy of mine has a 2010 outback and says he's losing 2mpg with a yakima rack setup on the roof rails for one bike while driving without a bike on it. That seems excessive, doesn't it?

Don't meant to derail this thread too much, of course, so thanks again.
    I don't think I would expect a 2 mpg loss for an empty rack, either, but who knows? Did he put his rack on at the same time they switched to winter fuel or something?
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Seems this mpg theory is well-supported by other owners too, so I think I'll go with a hitch rack. Thanks again, everyone.

Oh yeah, we live in Texas...there's no such thing as winter fuel here
    There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Don't forget when you have a hitch you will suddenly have more friends too, as they all want you to tow their utility trailers for yard work...
    Putting a receiver in the hitch will keep tailgaters further away too, the bigger the hunk of steel the better. Just watch your shins......
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    Seems this mpg theory is well-supported by other owners too, so I think I'll go with a hitch rack. Thanks again, everyone.

Oh yeah, we live in Texas...there's no such thing as winter fuel here
    Yep, look at all the other cars, search the threads, etc. It's not that every car is the "same", but it's pretty similar across the board. It depends somewhat on driving habits and how close you are from where you ride (what speeds you get up to, what speeds you like to cruise at, etc).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    So I've been looking into getting an OB for a few weeks.

Finally drove one last sat. I have to say I was not impressed. The car felt decidedly down market inside.

It was a '07 2.5i with 65k miles, only options appear to be power driver's seat and an aftermarket remote start. It's pearl white with tan interior...cloth seats, no sunroof.

It's very clean, the paint looks great (I love the pearl white)and doesn't appear to have any scrapes or even rock chips. It's wearing pretty new Michelins on the factory 17's. Interior was clean as well, it came with the manuals and all the mats, rubber cargo tray, cargo cover.

I was really excited to find and drive it, as I thought it'd be the one. Like I said though, after driving it, I wasn't "wowed" or impressed. It drove ok, but there was no time whenI thought "wow, this is a nice car!" other than when looking a tthe exterior.Plus I also thought it felt small inside, other than the driver's seat, all the other seating positions felt tight, even the passenger with the seat all the way back. And I'm only 5'9, 165lbs.

So despite the good condition, I felt the asking price of 13,470 was more than I thought it was worth. They've since reduced it to 12,990, which is better, but not near where I'm at. I'm thinking I wouldn't want to pay any more than 12 for it, and actuallyI'd feel more comfortable if it was closer to 11k.

I always try to have a car that makes me feel special when I drive it, it makes the payment so much easier to swallow. I didn't get that with the Soob. It felt like more of an appliance, which is somehting I'm less willing to pay a lot of money for.

I really think a '10 and up OB would perfectly suit me, but d@mn Subaru and there absurdely high resale value!

I still haven't given up on the 3rd gen OB....I just want to find one cheaper that's maybe a year or two older. then it wouldn't be too bad giving it "beater" status.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    ^^ What other cars have you driven? What were you expecting from a 5 year old base model? Where do you live?

I <3 dirt
    We're talking about a regular outback or an outback sport? Big difference in size. The sport is an impreza chassis which is fairly small inside. The regular outback is pretty large.

And yes, base model cars are just that...base model. I'd say shop around more and find one with more options. That body style is the best looking for the regular outback IMO.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    We're talking about a regular outback or an outback sport? Big difference in size. The sport is an impreza chassis which is fairly small inside. The regular outback is pretty large.

And yes, base model cars are just that...base model. I'd say shop around more and find one with more options. That body style is the best looking for the regular outback IMO.
    I agree. I have a WRX wagon which is basically an Impreza with a different drivetrain and is pretty small inside. We'd love a 96 Outback body style instead of our 03 Forester that we currently have. I think they look great.

mtbr member
    My wife drives imprezas, i have the full size 2010 outback. Must say that the impreza models always have that cheap feeling as far as the interior goes. Also, her 2012 has a lot of aluminum underneath. Very tinney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm going car shopping pretty soon, and I've decided to look for an older Subaru wagon, for the AWD, space, and reliability. I commute by bike the vast majority of the time, so I'm not allocating much money for the car budget ($3000ish).

I've done some research and have read that the most reliable of the older Subaru motors are the 2.2 h4 motors. That motor was in several years of the Impreza and Legacy models.

1st gen Legacy

2nd gen Legacy

1st gen Impreza

I've been finding these around in my price range. They are all high mileage (150k - 200k). Are one of these models better than the other in terms of reliability? I know that 15 year old cars with 150k miles are going to need maintenance from time to time. I don't really care about styling. Is this a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Reliability? Between my parents, brother, my wife and I, we've had probably 20 subarus. Legacy, outback, forester ffrom multiple generations 1990 through 2012. New used high mileage low mileage, you name it. Have never had reliability issues other than 1 transmission. Had i believe a 92 legacy turbo that I blew the automatic trans on. I was pretty hard on that car.

One tip, use OEM spark plugs. I put aftermarket plugs in a 2005 legacy and the car ran like absolute ****. I also have a friend who owns a subie dealership and races a WRX. He said he's tried all sorts of plugs and none work like the originals.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79 View Post
    My wife drives imprezas, i have the full size 2010 outback. Must say that the impreza models always have that cheap feeling as far as the interior goes. Also, her 2012 has a lot of aluminum underneath. Very tinney.

It's not a luxury car, so don't expect it to be one. Not sure why everyone expects a Subaru to be super luxurious all the time. They are good, reliable AWD cars. If you want a luxury car look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    It's not a luxury car, so don't expect it to be one. Not sure why everyone expects a Subaru to be super luxurious all the time. They are good, reliable AWD cars. If you want a luxury car look elsewhere.
    Yeah, I wouldn't even consider another make. Just don't prefer the impreza models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79 View Post
    Reliability? Between my parents, brother, my wife and I, we've had probably 20 subarus. Legacy, outback, forester ffrom multiple generations 1990 through 2012. New used high mileage low mileage, you name it. Have never had reliability issues other than 1 transmission. Had i believe a 92 legacy turbo that I blew the automatic trans on. I was pretty hard on that car.

One tip, use OEM spark plugs. I put aftermarket plugs in a 2005 legacy and the car ran like absolute ****. I also have a friend who owns a subie dealership and races a WRX. He said he's tried all sorts of plugs and none work like the originals.

I am glad to hear that you never had any issues with your Subaru. I decided to get rid of mine with only 45000 miles. It is a real shame that Subaru still did not fully address head gasket issues. While I appreciate Subaru of America will cover head gasket repair cost if you are out of warranty, a recall would have been more appropriate. Then, most likely the company would get into financial problems.

My wife cried when we left our Subaru at Honda for a trade in since we got attached to it and wanted to keep till the wheels fall off. I assume it was not meant to be.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I agree. I have a WRX wagon which is basically an Impreza with a different drivetrain and is pretty small inside. We'd love a 96 Outback body style instead of our 03 Forester that we currently have. I think they look great.
    Yea I've got an 04 wrx wagon. Holds a fair amount with the rear seat folded but the back seat is nearly useless for adults unless its a short trip.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    After going along on many test drives, kicking tires and scouring online forums with my brother he asked one last question of "which color: the grey or white?"

Last night he brought home a Forester 2.5XT Touring (the dark grey), supposedly the last model year a turbo will be offered. Fitting a bike rack today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    How bad is the insurance?
    Sorry for the delayed reply. $340 every six months. Gti was around $ 310.

Have to realize though at 54 it's one place where age is an advantage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post

And not living in California evidently!

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post

That seems quite high if you're 54. I'm 28 and pay $52 a month for full coverage on my 04 wrx.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    That seems quite high if you're 54. I'm 28 and pay $52 a month for full coverage on my 04 wrx.
    I am 34 and was paying $660 every 6 months for my my 2006 Outback. I live in Westchester County, NY. Sooner or later we will move out.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

WTB Forester

If anyone here is selling a very clean, automatic, non-turbo, 2000-2004 Forester, I'm looking for one for my daughter's first car. I'm in Michigan, but will travel for the right car. No mods, no wrecks, no rust. High milage OK with complete service records. PM if you have anything.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Have you tried here too ? Subaru Forester Owners Forum
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    I am 34 and was paying $660 every 6 months for my my 2006 Outback. I live in Westchester County, NY. Sooner or later we will move out.
    Ok, at least there's a place more expensive than California.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I always try to have a car that makes me feel special when I drive it, it makes the payment so much easier to swallow. I didn't get that with the Soob. It felt like more of an appliance, which is somehting I'm less willing to pay a lot of money for.
    Funny analysis, b/c in my mind, that is exactly what an Outback is -- a very useful transportation appliance. It can get you where you want to go in most any conditions, and allow you to bring your stuff there, too. I don't think anyone would confuse a 2.5i as being a driver's car! Is is a transportation appliance, plain and simple. It is a pair of trail runners or light hiking shoes, not a pair of athletic shoes or nice dress shoes! If you want to get bikes, skis, or whatever up rough or snowy roads, that is where an Outback seems to shine. That said, I don't think the Outback feels any different than a comparably equipped Accord, Camry, Malibu, etc, which is part why I went w/ the Outback. It felt the same as the other cars, but just had a little more capability for the things I like to do.

If you want a few more bells and whistles, the limited models are a little nicer inside, and might help you have that warm and fuzzy feeling. I drove a couple, and the leather seats and upgraded stereo were nice. Plus, that sunroof is pretty neat -- it is huge. But in the end, I was only shopping for an appliance to get myself to and from work, to the trails, and give me secure transportation in inclement weather. So I went with a pretty standard 2.5i wagon (not the "basic", but the "i" model w/ the 17" wheels and stuff like that). If I want to feel special, I'll climb in the fully loaded Suburban my wife drives!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Funny analysis, b/c in my mind, that is exactly what an Outback is -- a very useful transportation appliance. It can get you where you want to go in most any conditions, and allow you to bring your stuff there, too. I don't think anyone would confuse a 2.5i as being a driver's car! Is is a transportation appliance, plain and simple. It is a pair of trail runners or light hiking shoes, not a pair of athletic shoes or nice dress shoes! If you want to get bikes, skis, or whatever up rough or snowy roads, that is where an Outback seems to shine. That said, I don't think the Outback feels any different than a comparably equipped Accord, Camry, Malibu, etc, which is part why I went w/ the Outback. It felt the same as the other cars, but just had a little more capability for the things I like to do.

If you want a few more bells and whistles, the limited models are a little nicer inside, and might help you have that warm and fuzzy feeling. I drove a couple, and the leather seats and upgraded stereo were nice. Plus, that sunroof is pretty neat -- it is huge. But in the end, I was only shopping for an appliance to get myself to and from work, to the trails, and give me secure transportation in inclement weather. So I went with a pretty standard 2.5i wagon (not the "basic", but the "i" model w/ the 17" wheels and stuff like that). If I want to feel special, I'll climb in the fully loaded Suburban my wife drives!
    My Subaru is like a trusty dog - always there and ready for more fun. I can't even imagine driving the other boring cars mentioned above!

Page 76 of 109 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86 ... LastLast