Page 75 of 109 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2708
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    What kind of mileage does the 05-09 Outback get with the H6? My wife has wanted one for a while now and I want it so we can stop taking my 5sp through the I70 **** show during snow season.
    I've averaged as high as 23 mpg with racks on the top on a highway (80 mph) trip, but the normal I get (about 50/50 city/highway) is about 20. It does require 91 octane (high compression ratio) to max the gas mileage and power. Mine has the "SI drive" and I usually keep it in the "I" setting, which caps the max HP and makes the torque curve flatter (I think.) In the "SI" mode this thing hauls serious booty (but the mpg goes down.) The downside to the H6 is the tendency for the engine to significantly warm up on hot days and long climbs. Big engine in a small engine bay. But, compared to the normal 2.5l four cylinder (which I had in an '02 Outback) the H6 is way more fun to drive.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Really, 20mpg mixed? I get better mileage in my 02 WRX wagon. Granted, it's a smaller car, but jeez. And I have to use 91+ gas too. I've never had a problem getting up hills and the car is a blast to drive.

b a n n e d
    +1 on the crap MPG . . . I get about 22-23 in my 2010 Forester XT. Let's be honest though, if you're buying a Subaru, ya ain't in it for the MPG. You know going in that its crap . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Really 20mpg? I get that on highway with a nice tailwind.

I pull 17mpg around town and 20-22mpg on road trips. Really short gearing from a 99 STi transmission makes the car a blast to drive but hits the wallet when cruising 75mph at 3500rpms and 80mp h at 3900rpm. The transmission feels oh so right when you're revving the twin-scroll EJ207 out to 9000rpms, 1st gear takes you to 40mph, 2nd almost to 75mph

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are some subies that are pretty bad on mileage. Any 6cyl (had an outback LL bean), any 4speed auto trans. You're just not going to win with those, and the difference in mileage between those and something like a 2.0L (turbo or NA) is going to be pretty dramatic. The 2.5 turbos are ok, but the STI versions can suck down the gas much faster due to the extremely conservative tunes and large injectors (that keep the turbo, engine and cats cool). Good luck getting 20mpg with the 6cyl and 4EAT. You WILL get 20mpg at times, no doubt, but it won't be the rule and you'll struggle to get around an average of 20 with the AWD drag and seriously underdesigned other aspects (engine and trans). There's a reason they discontinued the 3.6R. It was a damn cool car, but impractical compared to the 2.5T.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There are some subies that are pretty bad on mileage. Any 6cyl (had an outback LL bean), any 4speed auto trans. You're just not going to win with those, and the difference in mileage between those and something like a 2.0L (turbo or NA) is going to be pretty dramatic. The 2.5 turbos are ok, but the STI versions can suck down the gas much faster due to the extremely conservative tunes and large injectors (that keep the turbo, engine and cats cool). Good luck getting 20mpg with the 6cyl and 4EAT. You WILL get 20mpg at times, no doubt, but it won't be the rule and you'll struggle to get around an average of 20 with the AWD drag and seriously underdesigned other aspects (engine and trans). There's a reason they discontinued the 3.6R. It was a damn cool car, but impractical compared to the 2.5T.
    The 3.6 R is alive and well and I have one which is getting 22-23 MPG city and 29-30 highway. I averaged 37.9 MPG in Colorado last summer, going from Gunisson to CB and back for a week.... The 3.6 is much better on gas then my mom's Gen3 2.5 with the 4EAT, but I like the lines of that car better than mine..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post

What do you guys think of the last part of my post?

So the question is this - Do I fix my car and trade it in when the 2014 comes out next fall or do I skip the fixing and get what I can for it at trade in now? Do I get a used Forester now and trade that in next year? Or get a new Forester now and trade that in next year. I don't like that last option much as it involves major depreciation on a new car. Oh, I'm also going to take advantage of the IMBA Subaru discount.
    Why would you get a new Forester now and trade it in a year later? That makes zero sense. If you want a Forester but for some reason don't think you'll keep it long, buy a higher mileage used one.

As far as fixing the Honda, if you're going to trade it in, don't bother. The dealer isn't automaticly going to give you two k more for it. If it overheats only on long trips, how's the dealer going to know the head gasket is gone anyways? Unless it's so bad it's spewing out white smoke.

Personally, I'd make a decision sooner than later, and get rid of it before it needs a clutch. You can't hide that from the dealer, so if it's bad, it WILL effect your trade in value.

I don't think the HG will even be an issue, as far as I know it's not a common issue with Hondas like it is with Subarus, so it's not like it's something the dealer is going to be looking for when evaluating it for trade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Yes, the car was made in America apart from the engine and transmission. I drive my car very gingerly.

You are absolutely correct about made in Japan. American and Chinese products are plain shoddy since "sense of quality" and "kazien" are very foreign notions to both countries.
    You're having engine troubles....and the engine was built in Japan. So what does "made in America" have to do with anything??

And did the workers in the American plant spec the wrong headgaskets that have been leaking for over a decade?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Why would you get a new Forester now and trade it in a year later? That makes zero sense.
    It'll help the economy and someone can save a bundle on the posters "used" car.

mtbr member
    I drive a Subaru. I drove 8 of them today. Took my friend to the dealer to test drive some cars so he doesn't buy a Camry.

mtbr member
    StuntmanMike;9794561]Why would you get a new Forester now and trade it in a year later? That makes zero sense. If you want a Forester but for some reason don't think you'll keep it long, buy a higher mileage used one.

Good point, I listed all options, even dumb ones like buying new, then trading in

As far as fixing the Honda, if you're going to trade it in, don't bother. The dealer isn't automaticly going to give you two k more for it. If it overheats only on long trips, how's the dealer going to know the head gasket is gone anyways? Unless it's so bad it's spewing out white smoke.

I was thinking more along the lines of fixing it then trading in next year, not right now.

Personally, I'd make a decision sooner than later, and get rid of it before it needs a clutch. You can't hide that from the dealer, so if it's bad, it WILL effect your trade in value.

I don't think the HG will even be an issue, as far as I know it's not a common issue with Hondas like it is with Subarus, so it's not like it's something the dealer is going to be looking for when evaluating it for trade.

I think I'm going to take the middle road and drive the Honda until February or so. I can save up enough so I can buy a slightly used Forester or something like it with cash plus trade in. In the meantime I'll bike to work 2-3 days week and drive 2-3 days. It's only 10 miles each way and I could use the extra riding time.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    You're having engine troubles....and the engine was built in Japan. So what does "made in America" have to do with anything??

And did the workers in the American plant spec the wrong headgaskets that have been leaking for over a decade?
    You do have a point and I pigeonholed American workers. I decided to switch to Honda since I can smell problems with my sniffer regarding Subaru. It seems the head gasket problem has not been addressed despite what many believed. .
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    Really, 20mpg mixed? I get better mileage in my 02 WRX wagon. Granted, it's a smaller car, but jeez. And I have to use 91+ gas too. I've never had a problem getting up hills and the car is a blast to drive.
    Agree on the WRX. My old 02 WRX got around 22-23 mixed driving even with a bigger turbo. My 2011 WRX consistently returns around 24-25mpg for mixed driving and around 27-28 if I am on an interstate trip. I should clarify though that I don't use my subie to haul my bikes since I have truck to handle those duties so I am not dealing with the parasitic drag of a roof rack or bike hanging off the back of my car. I am sure I would lose 1-2 mpg with bikes on board.

By comparison to my last car the WRX is not as miserly as my 2006 GTI with DSG at 31-33mpg, but considering the all-weather value of AWD and the improved engine performance over the GTI, the Subaru WRX truly provides a great balance between performance, utility and economy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    Agree on the WRX. My old 02 WRX got around 22-23 mixed driving even with a bigger turbo. My 2011 WRX consistently returns around 24-25mpg for mixed driving and around 27-28 if I am on an interstate trip. I should clarify though that I don't use my subie to haul my bikes since I have truck to handle those duties so I am not dealing with the parasitic drag of a roof rack or bike hanging off the back of my car. I am sure I would lose 1-2 mpg with bikes on board.

By comparison to my last car the WRX is not as miserly as my 2006 GTI with DSG at 31-33mpg, but considering the all-weather value of AWD and the improved engine performance over the GTI, the Subaru WRX truly provides a great balance between performance, utility and economy.
    How bad is the insurance?

mtbr member
    2010 Outback. I am a die hard. It's our 7th between wife and I. Every once in a while she mentions considering other makes and I quickly think of every possible excuse to put that idea to bed. Just can't imagine driving anything else. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This is my first Subaru. It's a 2013 Outback Limited. Since this photo I've had the front windows tinted to match the others. It's about to cross 100 miles today when I go to the gym.

I can't make up my mind about hitch rack or roof rack, though. I see pros and cons to both. Ugh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else here drives a Subaru?-my-subaru.jpg  

There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

mtbr member
    I've been using roof racks on mine since I bought it. The only time I really want a hitch rack is when I need to use the rooftop basket for long trips. Its a pain to mount racks on the basket because it limits the space you have. And forget it if you have a rooftop box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I <3 dirt
    Hitch.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

I use a hitch as well and installed a 2" Hidden Hitch. The factory 1.25" is a POS and way more $$ than it is worth. I tow a boat for a living, so that was an easy choice for me. I also don't want to lift my bike over my head on that already tall car at the end of a ride either, even though I am 6' 2"...Further more the car's MPG will be better with a hitch rack vs a roof rack. Both have pro's and con's so take your time and see what will work best for you...YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Hitch vs. roof -- both have their drawbacks.

Biggest problem w/ roof IMO is the gas mileage hit, especially on long trips. I've had roof racks on cars before, and with bikes on them, I would lose 4-5 mpg. I have a trip to Oregon coming up, and assuming I lose 4 mpg, it would cost me approximately $45 to have bikes on the roof for that trip. I take a trip like this a few times a year. I also have a Suburban in addition to my Outback, and getting bikes on top of the 'Burb is a chore.

But roof is more convenient for daily use. The hitch mounts aren't easy to take on and off (relatively speaking, of course -- it only takes a few minutes, but I don't like to add time to my rides putting racks on and taking them off), it is kinda heavy to move around a lot, and it makes the rear hatch inaccessible -- it is cumbersome walking out of the store with a load of groceries, have to flip down the rack, work around it loading up, etc.

I went hitch rack after buying my Outback last month (Yak Stickup). But the things I've identified are starting to bug me a little bit. I'm starting to think I'll get a roof holder, too. I'll use the hitch rack for long trips, for the rare time I use the Suburban to transport bikes, or for the occasion when I need to haul more bikes (90% of the time, I only transport 1 bike). Otherwise, it'll be in the garage, and I'll leave the roof rack (prob Yak High Roller) on the Outback all of the time for my local riding.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, for the tips and advice. I appreciate it

I was looking at the whispbars that go across the oem rails and either the forkloader or something like that and a hitch setup like the Kuat NV.

A buddy of mine has a 2010 outback and says he's losing 2mpg with a yakima rack setup on the roof rails for one bike while driving without a bike on it. That seems excessive, doesn't it?

Don't meant to derail this thread too much, of course, so thanks again.
    There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

Elitest thrill junkie
    Why doesn't that sound reasonable?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    I have an 02 WRX Wagon with a Thule rack and fairing. I get pretty good mileage and most of the time I only have the two bike racks on the car and that's it. No bikes usually. I get 26+mpg on the highway and 20+mpg in the city.

I <3 dirt
    Can you post up a pic? I'm curious on how that fairing looks
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Can you post up a pic? I'm curious on how that fairing looks
    It's the new style, and it does not deflect airflow to the feet.

Page 75 of 109 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast