Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2708
    SSlow rider
    I use both a roof rack as well as a hitch mounted one on my Outback. In the end, either option is significantly better than any trunk rack that I've ever seen.

Elitest thrill junkie

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by PantslessWithWolves View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good and affordable rack for a 2009 Subaru Outback Sport? I'm a little leery of roof racks, and was wondering if anyone had any good trunk racks (capable of carrying two bikes and suitable for the Outback's hatchback design) that they could recommend. It's that or drop a lot of coin on a trailer hitch and accompanying rack...

My car's upholstery thanks you in advance.
    A hitch is about 130 or so usually. Depending on the hitch, it can be quickly and easily installed at home, or quickly installed at a shop. That's not a lot of coin IMO compared to what roof-rack systems go for. The total cost you end up with IS similar to a decent roof setup, but the big difference is it's not costing you extra mpg the whole time, so as soon as it's in there, it's saving money comparatively. The other big bonus is you can take it completely off when you are not using it, just find a place close to your car to store it, because moving the rack far is usually somewhat of a pain. There's also a wide variety of decent modern (IE: tray-style) hitch racks starting at a few hundred dollars, so again.

Trunk racks are temporary solutions meant to be used infrequently. Not intended for many or heavy bikes. Will eventually damage the car if used frequently. Saris makes good ones, but they all have the mentioned limitations.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

The added advantage of a hitch is that when you put a receiver in it your car will be less attractive to tailgaters... Just beware of your shins when you have a big hunk of metal sticking out...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 02 wrx that has a thule base system and a rocky mounts pitch fork bike tray. I freaking love the roof setup and i still manage to knock down 29.7 mpg to and from work

Elitest thrill junkie

!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalin_junkie View Post
    I have a 02 wrx that has a thule base system and a rocky mounts pitch fork bike tray. I freaking love the roof setup and i still manage to knock down 29.7 mpg to and from work
    Wow, that's better than my 04 with the same engine and no racks. Amazing!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Wow, that's better than my 04 with the same engine and no racks. Amazing!
    That's what I was thinking....I muster a messily 28mpg with just highway driving in my 04 and I thought I was doing good!

With my old roof rack setup it brought it down to 26mpg. I've since went to a hitch setup.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    05 WRX wagon, factory bars, two Yakima frontloaders reverse mounted (so the back door actually opens).

Bashed the racks against the spoiler a couple of times loading the car before I figured that one out.

I <3 dirt
    I just moved my trays up when I had mine. Cleared the spoiler by about an inch. I used thule side arm trays so maybe they're a touch shorter?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I just moved my trays up when I had mine. Cleared the spoiler by about an inch. I used thule side arm trays so maybe they're a touch shorter?
    I didn't mess around with it a whole hell of a lot, but with my configuration I couldn't see another/better way. Seems to work fine; everybody is secure up there.

Besides, this way the other end of the bike can get covered in smashed bugs.

mtbr member
    Thinking of getting an Outback wagon.

What kind of mileage are you guys with the n/a 2.5 getting? And does auto vs. manual make much of a difference with these cars?

I found two'06's that look like good deals, but at opposite ends of the spectrum:

A two tone silver with black intereior and 5 speed w/29k miles for 12,900
    A two tone green with tan interior and auto with 99k miles for 6,990.

I'm trying to determine if the 70k less miles is worth an extra 6k to the purchase price. Although I DO like the color combo better. I could go either way on the 5 speed.

Thoughts?

Oh, and what's a timing belt job cost for one of these? The green one is coming up on it, it's required at 105k IIRC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Thinking of getting an Outback wagon.

What kind of mileage are you guys with the n/a 2.5 getting? And does auto vs. manual make much of a difference with these cars?

I found two'06's that look like good deals, but at opposite ends of the spectrum:

A two tone silver with black intereior and 5 speed w/29k miles for 12,900
    A two tone green with tan interior and auto with 99k miles for 6,990.

I'm trying to determine if the 70k less miles is worth an extra 6k to the purchase price. Although I DO like the color combo better. I could go either way on the 5 speed.

Thoughts?

Oh, and what's a timing belt job cost for one of these? The green one is coming up on it, it's required at 105k IIRC.
    My 5 speed Forrester get about 24 in town and up to 28 or 29 on the freeway. The timing belts aren't cheap (can't remember). The one with 29k sounds pretty good to me, I'd take it right now.

Check out this forum for more info on the OB's. Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

My mom has a 2007 LL Bean with the 2.5 and a 4 speed EAT. She gets 22 -23 MPG in the city and 28 MPG's on the highway. She drives pretty fast so the car can get better mileage if the lead foot comes off the gas pedal.

I have a 2011 OB with a 3.6 H6 and a 5 speed EAT and get similar MPG's in the city and about 29-30 highway. The new generation 2.5 OB's get better MPG's specially with the CVT transmission.
    The timing belt is important to replace, but other than that, they are pretty bulletproof if maintained properly by the previous owner... And therein lies the rub as you never know how peeps keep up with their stuff...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    My 5 speed Forrester get about 24 in town and up to 28 or 29 on the freeway. The timing belts aren't cheap (can't remember). The one with 29k sounds pretty good to me, I'd take it right now.
    I did replace mine and I would do it again, but it's a pretty major operation. Several steps, removing the radiator, takes about 3-4 hands to get the belt on. You can save a lot of $$$ if you have the resources to do this, you don't need a lift, just ramps to drive up on, but otherwise instead of $300 or so for belt + some parts, 1000-1500+ is probably the easy norm for mechanics to do the belt.

I <3 dirt
    The wheels never need to leave the ground....
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    By the way, I drive with a lead foot a lot and beat my Sub and it has 173k miles. It likes a good beating.

mtbr member
    I did replace mine and I would do it again, but it's a pretty major operation. Several steps, removing the radiator, takes about 3-4 hands to get the belt on. You can save a lot of $$$ if you have the resources to do this, you don't need a lift, just ramps to drive up on, but otherwise instead of $300 or so for belt + some parts, 1000-1500+ is probably the easy norm for mechanics to do the belt.
    Seriously?? 1-1.5k forthis job?? Damn, that's simply ludicrous. I was also interested in Volvo XC70's, and at the Volvo dealer TBelt replacement is $590.

On my Jeep it cost...oh wait, NOTHING, since it has a timing CHAIN, as any properly designed engine would have.

Seriously, WTF is up with these timing belts? Would it really be so hard for them to be designed with a chain? Why are these foreign carmakers so hot to dump expensive 100k maintenence costs on thier customers?

I'll have to call around to some local shops, because that price (along with all the other problems I've been reading about) is definitely turning me off to these cars.

Perdurabo
    My local garage said the job usually runs 900-1000. This is not just for a timing belt, though. They replace the water pump and all pulleys, maybe a couple other things. He said most the time the belt is in really good condition. He's more concerned with the pulleys/bearings going out than the belt. But if you're going to go in there, you just replace it all. He's buying my wife's 95 Legacy with 190K. Why? 'Cause they're good cars.

The 6 cyl have been timing chain for years. The Forester has been for, I think, 2 years. The outback 4 cyl is chain starting this year. Sorry if that was mentioned, I looked back about 25 posts and didn't see it.
    This cat's on an intergalactic cruise...in his office?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seriously?? 1-1.5k forthis job?? Damn, that's simply ludicrous. I was also interested in Volvo XC70's, and at the Volvo dealer TBelt replacement is $590.

On my Jeep it cost...oh wait, NOTHING, since it has a timing CHAIN, as any properly designed engine would have.

Seriously, WTF is up with these timing belts? Would it really be so hard for them to be designed with a chain? Why are these foreign carmakers so hot to dump expensive 100k maintenence costs on thier customers?

I'll have to call around to some local shops, because that price (along with all the other problems I've been reading about) is definitely turning me off to these cars.
    Subaru's are a little weird and backward, but "Jeep" and "properly designed engine" don't belong in the same sentence unless they brought back the old reliable inline 6 Rambler/AMC engine.

Elitest thrill junkie

The new ones do have chains afaik, the belt is like $200 bucks.

It's also not "that" big of a job, it's just a reason for a repair shop to charge you out the rear. Perhaps you've never taken a car to a repair shop or the dealer. I don't really do this myself, but I have an idea of what it costs.

mtbr member
    Subaru's are a little weird and backward, but "Jeep" and "properly designed engine" don't belong in the same sentence unless they brought back the old reliable inline 6 Rambler/AMC engine.
    And that's exactly the engine I'm talking about! That Jeep could rot away to nothing, but that 4.0 would keep chugging along!

Serieoulsy though, I really don't get the timing belts.

That's good the H6 has it, but I don't want an H6. I think with the H6 the Subie woldn't get any better mileage than my 5.7L Firebird, and I need better than that.

Also nice to hear the 2.5 is switching to a chain, but a '13 probably won't be in my budget till at least '18 or '19. I have to say, great resale on these cars! It amazes me that 5 or 6 year old examples with 100k are still going for 12-13k. Which reminds me, after looking at more of them online, that '06 with 29k I found seems to be a steal at $12,990.

It's a 5 speed though, and I was just reading on the OB board that they seem to have wierd clutches and low speed driveability problems, possibly due to to lack of torque. Anyone notice this?

... and if we just ...

My 3.6 gets 30 MPG on the highway.....better than that Firebird...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    My 3.6 gets 30 MPG on the highway.....better than that Firebird...
    REALLY??! That's impressive. I thought they were only rated at 25 hwy. Or at least the older ones, I haven't looked into the newer ones.

I get 26-27 with my Bird, and I get around 23 in mixed driving. Had a good run last week though, got 24.3 for some reason. Maybe the cooler temps.

FYI - if I had the six speed instead of the auto, I'd be able to get 30 hwy no problem.

What do you get in mixed driving with the 6, and that one requires premium, right?

Oh, and what year...do you have the CVT?
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 10-06-2012 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

It's a 5 speed though, and I was just reading on the OB board that they seem to have wierd clutches and low speed driveability problems, possibly due to to lack of torque. Anyone notice this?
    The 5 speed is much improved and the clutches are also better now. We have a 2002 and it feels like a tractor compared to our 2009. These cars have good low end torque.

mtbr member
    The 5 speed is much improved and the clutches are also better now. We have a 2002 and it feels like a tractor compared to our 2009. These cars have good low end torque.
    Would the '06 have the same improvements as your '09? Or would it be closer to the '02?

I guess I need to just drive it, but it's located about 80 miles away. I like to do my research befoer driving that far.

Muskoka
    I had the belt replaced on my '02 WRX this summer at my local Subaru dealership, total cost was around $600 CDN.
    edit; - now that I think about it was last fall I had that done, time flies!!! Replaced the rad a few weeks ago, that was just under $500. That's all the money I put into it past couple of years, not bad for an 11 yr old car. Still lovin' it, will probably drive a Subaru for the rest of my life now lol!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 10-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast