Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2710
    mnoutain bkie rdier

Turbo problems?

Quote Originally Posted by BrnHrnt View Post
    '08 Outback XT here! Love it! Perfect combination of function and performance.
    Weird. In so many reviews that I read, it seemed like everyone was suggesting that a buyer should stay away fromt the turbo models.

Here, I don't see too many complaints about the turbo going out. I think there was some issue with the oil filter leaking into turbo or something??

Has this been resolved? I was under the impression that you will get + - 70K miles on the turbo before it goes catastrophically...

I only ask this, because a turbo sure sounds fun

I have an '05 Ouback 4 banger 5pd manual btw Good so far.. gettin' 25mpg with roof rack.

I <3 dirt
    The ACTUAL turbos are stout and cheap enough to replace if you need to.

The turbo engines leave a bit to be desired in the reliability department.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    The ACTUAL turbos are stout and cheap enough to replace if you need to.

The turbo engines leave a bit to be desired in the reliability department.
    What about the issues with the turbos going out and causing engine issues...leading to engine rebuilds?

It was a few years ago that I did the research, so maybe I am way off??

Edit: here!
    Turbo Problems - 05 Outback 2.5xt - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

I <3 dirt
    Seeing as that thread is 3 years old I would think any currently running car would have either had that problem already and been fixed or it wasn't an issue for it in the first place
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JWA View Post
    Auto - that's heresy!

It is an incredible car. Very well done. After years of messing around with STI's and Evo's, it is so fun being back in a proper sports car for daily use. I don't have any pics. I'll take some and post them.
    Does it handle different with just the rear wheel drive?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Seeing as that thread is 3 years old I would think any currently running car would have either had that problem already and been fixed or it wasn't an issue for it in the first place
    Well, actually the thread IS three years old, but spans into the current 2012 year with complaints.

I am just wondering if perhaps the problem was not as common as that forum would have one believe.

Sometimes it is the folks having issues that make the most noise sorta thing...

I would love to get ahold of some numbers. Something stating/showing the % of Subaru turbos that have gone bad for each model year and what the result/cost was to fix.

What concerned me was that so many people had issues with the turbo...and recurring issues!

Clearly, I would like to purchase the turbo next...just not sure if it is a good decision...

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Don't forget that the internet can make a small problem sound like a big one and millions of peeps have issues, even if they don't own the car in the first place.....
    I have had several SAAB 900 Turbo's (pre-GM!!!!) and never ever had any issues with the cars at all..
    The only thing I have to say is that you must change the oil at the right intervals and use synthetic if possible. Syn oil is better suited for the higher engine temps.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

I <3 dirt
    My car isn't too valid being a 2.0T but my turbo is stock with 130k on it.

I know there were 2.5's that had some screen in the drain tube that liked to get clogged which would result in bad things but that's all I've ever heard turbo wise. I'm not sure what turbo came specifically on the outback xt though.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    The XT cars basically have a slightly detuned STi motor. I think the turbo is the same but the map runs it at a lower pressure and less aggressive timing/fuel.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    The XT cars basically have a slightly detuned STi motor. I think the turbo is the same but the map runs it at a lower pressure and less aggressive timing/fuel.
    I'm not retarded.

Anyways, looks like an IHI vf40 for the 05-06 outback xt which is the same as the legacy. The 04-06 Sti used a vf39.

Not sure if they're prone to cracking like the 39's but you could always put on a vf39 or 43 if you had any problems with the stocker.....
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I'm not retarded.

Anyways, looks like an IHI vf40 for the 05-06 outback xt which is the same as the legacy. The 04-06 Sti used a vf39.

Not sure if they're prone to cracking like the 39's but you could always put on a vf39 or 43 if you had any problems with the stocker.....
    What the heck is going on in your avatar? Looks like Conan the Barbarian's bike Is that a bike tube wrapped around some sort of handle bar....

I have been seeing that avatar lately and keep wondering

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Weird. In so many reviews that I read, it seemed like everyone was suggesting that a buyer should stay away fromt the turbo models.

Here, I don't see too many complaints about the turbo going out. I think there was some issue with the oil filter leaking into turbo or something??

Has this been resolved? I was under the impression that you will get + - 70K miles on the turbo before it goes catastrophically...

I have an '05 Ouback 4 banger 5pd manual btw Good so far.. gettin' 25mpg with roof rack.
    It sounds fun because it is fun.

No issues with my Subie so far, knock on wood, but I'm not at 70k yet either. The people who have issues are going to talk about it on forums, but I have to believe those like me, who are just enjoying the heck out of their XT, outnumber the unfortunate.

The screen that people are talking about is called a banjo I believe and there are threads about it on the interwebs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    <------- sburck from N.A.S.I.O.C.

Love my STi. Its ugly and doesn't get great mileage for a car of its size, but its very practical and fun.

mtbr member
    What the heck is going on in your avatar? Looks like Conan the Barbarian's bike Is that a bike tube wrapped around some sort of handle bar....

I have been seeing that avatar lately and keep wondering
    That's the russian chainsaw powered bike. Just search that and you'll see a better picture. It's pretty awesome.
    I like to ride bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie

That's BS.

I put 130+k on my wrx (2.0) with the stock turbo, heck pushing it harder with a tune and some upgrades, and it did fine. No problems. Turbos do wear, but they shouldn't wear faster than any other significant part of the engine. Turbos can even be rebuilt. What tends to happen is over time, they'll start passing oil as the wear out, that gets into the induction and usually pools in the intercooler. This is rare, but as the miles increase (past 100K), it's something to look for. The Sti VF39 turbos did tend to "crack", but this didn't affect performance or lead to any worse problems and is a well documented issue, the only I can really think of for subaru turbos. Otherwise, their turbo engines are usually pretty rock solid. We're talking well past 100k with no problems, and well past that should be fine with regular maint. and no crazy mods or abuse. What makes turbo engines more critical is the fact that IF the turbo goes, no matter how rare, it usually WILL wreck the engine as pieces get lodged in the intake, cylinders, etc. It destroys an engine fast. This is probably what you hear, some guy was running some crazy mod, or tore a hose and it got real hot and blew up, just as many other things would be destroyed if a critical part failed (trans fluid, oil, timing belt/chain, etc).

Turbos are great if implemented well. Some really suck with limited automatic transmissions that keep the engine at either crazy high revs for highway driving, or way too low revs that keeps it out of the turbo range. With a manual you can drive it decently without going into turbo range, and significantly increase your fuel mileage. Without this, it's very difficult to keep it from building boost, which requires additional fuel above and beyond what's necessary for combustion, to cool the engine and prevent detonation. The 2.0l I had suffered from lag on hot days with the A/C on. Without the AC on I never had a complaint. I fixed this to a large extent by modding the exhaust and some other parts, with a tune, but it still could have been better, most likely by getting a better up-pipe or gutting the cat out of the one on there. Either that or a faster spooling turbo, but that requires something fancy (like twin scroll) to keep any high end power. I really like that a lot of new vehicles are coming with turbos. You'll see these are being paired with 6 and 7 speed (or more) transmissions, which is great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's BS.

I put 130+k on my wrx (2.0) with the stock turbo, heck pushing it harder with a tune and some upgrades, and it did fine. No problems. Turbos do wear, but they shouldn't wear faster than any other significant part of the engine. Turbos can even be rebuilt. What tends to happen is over time, they'll start passing oil as the wear out, that gets into the induction and usually pools in the intercooler. This is rare, but as the miles increase (past 100K), it's something to look for. The Sti VF39 turbos did tend to "crack", but this didn't affect performance or lead to any worse problems and is a well documented issue, the only I can really think of for subaru turbos. Otherwise, their turbo engines are usually pretty rock solid. We're talking well past 100k with no problems, and well past that should be fine with regular maint. and no crazy mods or abuse. What makes turbo engines more critical is the fact that IF the turbo goes, no matter how rare, it usually WILL wreck the engine as pieces get lodged in the intake, cylinders, etc. It destroys an engine fast. This is probably what you hear, some guy was running some crazy mod, or tore a hose and it got real hot and blew up, just as many other things would be destroyed if a critical part failed (trans fluid, oil, timing belt/chain, etc).

Turbos are great if implemented well. Some really suck with limited automatic transmissions that keep the engine at either crazy high revs for highway driving, or way too low revs that keeps it out of the turbo range. With a manual you can drive it decently without going into turbo range, and significantly increase your fuel mileage. Without this, it's very difficult to keep it from building boost, which requires additional fuel above and beyond what's necessary for combustion, to cool the engine and prevent detonation. The 2.0l I had suffered from lag on hot days with the A/C on. Without the AC on I never had a complaint. I fixed this to a large extent by modding the exhaust and some other parts, with a tune, but it still could have been better, most likely by getting a better up-pipe or gutting the cat out of the one on there. Either that or a faster spooling turbo, but that requires something fancy (like twin scroll) to keep any high end power. I really like that a lot of new vehicles are coming with turbos. You'll see these are being paired with 6 and 7 speed (or more) transmissions, which is great.
    I read a few accounts of the banjo bolt (not entirely sure what this is) getting clogged and starving the turbo of oil. Turbo over heats and dies. Again, this is a few, like any car if you treat it well it will treat you well. You just gotta change the oil.
    I like to ride bikes.

I <3 dirt
    The banjo bolt is what goes through the oil feed lines. Just like on a hydro disc brake.
    you can see where it goes in top of the turbo in this pic.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Aplolgies for totally derailing this thread... Thx for the feedback though..

I will post a pic of my Suby soon

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    I'm not retarded.

I never said you were.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here are my two Subies. I've had the Impreza for about five years, and my wife has been driving the Forester for little over a year now.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav_Rad View Post
    Here are my two Subies. I've had the Impreza for about five years, and my wife has been driving the Forester for little over a year now.

Nice!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've got a WRB 2007 WRX with a custom yakima roof rack, no q-clips for me . Absolutely love it, although I've been thinking of transitioning to a bike and sport bike. I can't bring myself to sell my subie though haha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    06 Subaru B9 Tribeca

08 Impreza 2.5i sedan
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    06 Subaru B9 Tribeca (hitch rack) have swagman but looking at Saris Thelma 3

08 Impreza 2.5i sedan
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend a good and affordable rack for a 2009 Subaru Outback Sport? I'm a little leery of roof racks, and was wondering if anyone had any good trunk racks (capable of carrying two bikes and suitable for the Outback's hatchback design) that they could recommend. It's that or drop a lot of coin on a trailer hitch and accompanying rack...

My car's upholstery thanks you in advance.

Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 ... LastLast