Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556
Results 2,751 to 2,781 of 2781
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    My friend was shopping for a Forrester recently and said the sales person said that the 2.5 is a new design. It's obviously bs. He is the one with the outbacks, he bought an s4 but is getting married now so he wants to lessen his car payments. They really should dump that motor though.
    They changed to a completely new engine design in 2011. FB25 engine designation instead of EJ25. Major changes are a timing chain instead of belt, longer stroke for better low end torque which equates to better fuel economy. Lighter pistons and lower friction internals again for more fuel economy.

Here's the link: The All-New Subaru FB Engine

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah but does that help the head gasket issues? Besides their notorious issues with head gaskets I would buy one. But I can't buy a car that's iffy at 75k miles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah but does that help the head gasket issues? Besides their notorious issues with head gaskets I would buy one. But I can't buy a car that's iffy at 75k miles.
    I think the issues with head gaskets for 97-2004 were warranted, but on newer subaru's it's blown out of proportion. I have a 2008 with 150k miles on it, my head gaskets are just fine. No mixing of coolant and oil, no odd smells in coolant. They are just fine.

The new FB engine still flows some coolant through the block to the head, but there are now external ports which coolant flows to the head as well, without going through the block. Everything in physics takes the path of least resistance, so this should help alleviate the problem somewhat.

The new FB engines are all DOHC, which increases surface area significantly, and were designed to be DOHC from the start, as well as have 2.5L of displacement from the start. The reason why the 98-2004 EJ25's were so bad was because it was a bored out EJ20. It was also SOHC, so they gave up alot of surface area in the head gasket to gain more displacement. Due to the lack of head gasket surface area, the chances of issues was exacerbated significantly. Also, they solved a grounding issue by adding more ground straps to the engines to help keep electrons from flowing where they didn't need to, and corroding the head gaskets.

I think replacing a head gasket after 150k miles is inevitable for any brand, make or model. It's a waiting game when you reach that kind of mileage. My subaru has help up great so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Subaru definitely didn't warranty head gaskets past their original warranty, when you call them they have an exact price to give you. I don't know what they changed but my mechanic said he's seen more than a few later model Subarus with head gasket issues the only difference was that the leaks were more external after 04, so at least the exhaust wasn't over pressurizing the coolant system. I don't know how many changes they made to this block this time around, only time will tell. At 150k I'm ok with, but 75k is crazy. Their recall on i believe 02 and up was real steel, which is a horrible idea. You basically do more damage but prolong the inevitable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Da-a-a-ng!!!! I have about 102,500 on my '04 Forester, and no head gasket problems so far (until reading this thread:-).
    That's ok, because I am going to abandon "superior road performance" and trade it in for a mini-van. Maybe a late model Honda Element AWD 5-spd manual, if I can find a good one with a 5-digit odometer reading.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Subaru definitely didn't warranty head gaskets past their original warranty, when you call them they have an exact price to give you. I don't know what they changed but my mechanic said he's seen more than a few later model Subarus with head gasket issues the only difference was that the leaks were more external after 04, so at least the exhaust wasn't over pressurizing the coolant system. I don't know how many changes they made to this block this time around, only time will tell. At 150k I'm ok with, but 75k is crazy. Their recall on i believe 02 and up was real steel, which is a horrible idea. You basically do more damage but prolong the inevitable.
    Sorry, my poor choice of words here. I wasn't referring to "warranted" as warranty, i meant warranted as "justified". And Issues should have probably "stigma" or "complaints". The head gasket failures unfortunately for most people happened well beyond even an extended warranty period, with some below 100k miles.

However, we had a 98 forester whose head gaskets were fine, even at 175k miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ohhh warranted.. Well, I don't know if it's ever warranted or justified at such low miles, which is the problrm with these cars. It's one thing for it to need replacing at 150k, but like I said, I've seen them go at 75k and less, and my mechanic has seen plenty more. I've read statistics of 2-3% of their gaskets fail, but that's only dealer repairs. So, it's a very misrepresented number. It's much much higher than that. You're lucky it didn't happen to yours, but that's not evidence that there's no design flaw. Going forward, we'll see if this next batch of 2.5's have issues in 5 or so years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ohhh warranted.. Well, I don't know if it's ever warranted or justified at such low miles, which is the problrm with these cars. It's one thing for it to need replacing at 150k, but like I said, I've seen them go at 75k and less, and my mechanic has seen plenty more. I've read statistics of 2-3% of their gaskets fail, but that's only dealer repairs. So, it's a very misrepresented number. It's much much higher than that. You're lucky it didn't happen to yours, but that's not evidence that there's no design flaw. Going forward, we'll see if this next batch of 2.5's have issues in 5 or so years.
    Warranted in that the complaint has merit, the issues people have with buying that generation are justified. The issues with that generation are well documented. I didn't say that people having problems below 75k are justified.

Personally i've seen people with other makes with large repair bills, no company has a bulletproof car. My friend has a 2008 honda accord coupe, he's been through 2 transmissions already. He got rid of the car after the 2nd transmission failure, luckily since it died the first time just before the warranty ran out, he was able to get it fixed both times for free. Third time was on him, so he sold the car. It also ate brakes like nobodies business. Honda is supposed to be the king of reliability. In order to cover up this mess, they issued a transmission programming recall which neuters the shifting to help save the transmission from damage, probably give less lockup to the torque converter.

Dad's 2006 nissan xterra blew a transmission because of the integrated transmission/engine cooler. The engine coolant made its way into the transmission part of the radiator and leaked coolant into the transmission. Luckily my best friends works at the nissan dealership where he bought the car, he was able to get it replaced for free, even though the extended recall warranty called for him to pay i think $2500 towards the bill.

I had a ford focus which i drove through college, head gasket died at 162k miles, but everything seemed to be falling apart around 130k miles. All new struts, wheel bearings, various electronic relay modules, etc....

My coworker has a 2007 toyota camry, the piston rings are shot at 120k miles. We're both engineers and typically anal about maintenance, and he swears he changed the oil on time every time. But he has to put a full quart of oil every 2-3 fuel fillups. He said he's just going to run it till it dies, but the oil consumption is quite excessive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My friend had a 2012 s4 that eats oil like crazy. Audi says that 2 quarts every 5k is acceptable. I'm not saying that there aren't other cars with issues, but very few have as many documented failures at such a low mileage and year, as the Subaru head gaskets. Maybe the late 90s and early 2000s Dodge Rams eating transmissions, or explorers from that era for that matter.. Or the audi 1.8t sludge.. But these problems can be mitigated by extra maintenance. The head gaskets are random and there's nothing you can do to prevent it besides selling it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My friend had a 2012 s4 that eats oil like crazy. Audi says that 2 quarts every 5k is acceptable. I'm not saying that there aren't other cars with issues, but very few have as many documented failures at such a low mileage and year, as the Subaru head gaskets. Maybe the late 90s and early 2000s Dodge Rams eating transmissions, or explorers from that era for that matter.. Or the audi 1.8t sludge.. But these problems can be mitigated by extra maintenance. The head gaskets are random and there's nothing you can do to prevent it besides selling it.
    Yes, like i said, the issues with the late 90's, early 2000's head gaskets were well documented, and people's concerns for that generation are justified. But from about 2006+, i think any head gasket failures are blown out of proportion. Yes, there will be some, but i think whenever a subaru head gasket fails, they just tack it onto the failure of the previous generation. Also, since subaru's are horizontal, when a head gasket leaks oil to the outside, it will fall on the ground. It's more readily apparent, but other cars will have this same problem, but not leak oil onto the ground. The only headgasket failure that matters, is the one where your coolant and oil mix.

If you google honda, toyota, GM, etc... You'll see head gasket failures for people with less than 75k miles.

banned
    Jun 2007

Re: Who else here drives a Subaru?

Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    Yes, like I said.....But from about 2006+, i think any head gasket failures are blown out of proportion...
    Not so, the EJ25 is notorious. My '07 was leaking both internally and externally @ 78k miles. Read a Subaru forum for confirmation.Who else here drives a Subaru?-uploadfromtaptalk1417015455234.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Not so, the EJ25 is notorious. My '07 was leaking both internally and externally @ 78k miles. Read a Subaru forum for confirmation.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1417015455234.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	942063

The problem is, i can go on any forum, like toyotanation.com and type in head gasket. Many failures will pop up, some under 100k miles. I'm also on nasioc, and and head gasket failures aren't anywhere near as frequent as they used to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The newer head gasket material has improved the situation greatly. It also takes having the gaskets replaced correctly, which means having the engine pulled rather than having them replaced with the engine still in its mounts (which is what most Subaru dealers did for the warranty replacements). There are other steps you can take to prevent the issue from cropping up. Go online and search for a website "Subaru head gaskets explained" for better information. I am on my third Subaru - the first one (1980 GL) had 250,000 miles on it, my '91 Loyale has 325,000 miles on it and my '97 Outback (with the much maligned 2.5l engine) has 229,000 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Got a Subaru a over a month ago. Anyone have experience with an Impreza, with aftermarket exhaust and a hitch rack? Do you need longer exhaust hangers?

Have my eyes set on a Kuat NV.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Nice Impreza! Check out Etrailer.com for more hitch info. Due to the fact that there is a 200# weight limited on the hitch you may want to consider a lighter bikerack like the 1UpUSA rack. I have an Outback and have the lighter rack too. There was no need for different exhaust hangers on my car and I doubt yours will need them too.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Just traded in my Element for a 2015 Forester. Quite luxurious compared to my Element but for the most part I like it. I just wish I had realized the hatch was a one piece. My Hollywood rack, when folded up means I can't open the hatch. With the Element I could open the top part of the hatch. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    Just traded in my Element for a 2015 Forester. Quite luxurious compared to my Element but for the most part I like it. I just wish I had realized the hatch was a one piece. My Hollywood rack, when folded up means I can't open the hatch. With the Element I could open the top part of the hatch. Oh well.
    Next time open the rear before you buy the car

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Got a Subaru a over a month ago. Anyone have experience with an Impreza, with aftermarket exhaust and a hitch rack? Do you need longer exhaust hangers?

I have a 2014 Impreza. I went to Amazon where I have a prime membership and bought a nice hitch rack. I installed it myself. Works great with my Yakima Hold Up bike rack. No modifications except I had to ream out two of the mounting holes for the hitch. I was able to do it with a dremel in no time.

Who else here drives a Subaru?-6.jpg
    Last edited by Jem7sk; 12-10-2014 at 04:21 AM.

mtbr member
    It's all about the Torklift Eco hitch with 1up USA rack. Perfect combo for a hatchback.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    Quite luxurious compared to ...
    This is a phrase you don't hear too often when talking about Subarus.

Off the back...

If the exhaust is good quality [i.e. no funky bends or huge mufflers], it should fit fine. Most mufflers and resonators for aftermarket are smaller than OEM. Now, that rear diffuser might be an issue. It might have to be notched in the middle to allow the receiver through.

The Kuat NV works well on the current WRX + STI. If you go with the NV Core, I suggest you also buy the Lower End Shank - Ball Cam, which is a standard piece on the regular NV. The Core just has a bolt, which comes a bit loose and will eventually strip out, leaving you with a wobbly rack that can't be easily removed [AMHIK].
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    If the exhaust is good quality [i.e. no funky bends or huge mufflers], it should fit fine. Most mufflers and resonators for aftermarket are smaller than OEM. Now, that rear diffuser might be an issue. It might have to be notched in the middle to allow the receiver through.

The Kuat NV works well on the current WRX + STI. If you go with the NV Core, I suggest you also buy the Lower End Shank - Ball Cam, which is a standard piece on the regular NV. The Core just has a bolt, which comes a bit loose and will eventually strip out, leaving you with a wobbly rack that can't be easily removed [AMHIK].
    Good points. Just got quoted two months out for the exhaust, so lots of time to think about it haha. I was definitely looking at the NV. Do they even sell the Core now? I looked at their site the other day and didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    It's all about the Torklift Eco hitch with 1up USA rack. Perfect combo for a hatchback.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    As much as I want a 2" hitch, that Torklift one would be more than double what a regular hitch would be up here. Over $200 for the hitch, another $80 for shipping and then taxes probably. Wonder if I could get a normal one custom welded with a 2" piece?

MTBR sure does love their One Up racks..

mtbr member

Who else here drives a Subaru?

Good points. Just got quoted two months out for the exhaust, so lots of time to think about it haha. I was definitely looking at the NV. Do they even sell the Core now? I looked at their site the other day and didn't see it.

As much as I want a 2" hitch, that Torklift one would be more than double what a regular hitch would be up here. Over $200 for the hitch, another $80 for shipping and then taxes probably. Wonder if I could get a normal one custom welded with a 2" piece?

The cheapest hitch is the u haul but looks but ugly and hangs down pretty low. The eco hitch was only 220 for me so it's only a 100 more. Yes the 1 up hitch is spendy but well worth it especially if your transporting an expensive bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone want to hand deliver the hitch across the border and absorb any taxes?

Captain Climber
    This is the one I got... $113 shipped in two days with Amazon Prime. I installed it myself when it arrived two days later. Was able to get the 2" Holdup which is solid:

Amazon.com: Curt 13135 Class 3 Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver Tube: Curt Manufacturing: Automotive

Amazon.com: Yakima Products Hold Up Tray Style Bike Rack, 2-Inch: Automotive

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well a factory OEM hitch is $470. So the torklift ecohitch is right in the middle then. I have a hidden hitch on my 2008 impreza, put it on a month after i bought it in 2008 and it's already mostly rusted, looks horrible because the entire frame sticks out underneath and is fully visible. The ecohitch is tucked underneath, will have better ground clearance and looks way better, like an OEM hitch, but with a proper 2" reciever. Well worth the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have a Impreza Sedan MY 2006.

mtbr member
    2015 Impreza Sport with the Torklift Eco through the rear bumper, also added a Curt double hitch to gain a lot of ground clearance for my NV. I just got it all together yesterday so I am still not sure how this will work long term.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Who else here drives a Subaru?

I've got a 2014 FXT with the Torklift Eco and a 1up. I think it was well worth the extra $100 or so more than the curt, to not see the bar.

mtbr member
    Who else here drives a Subaru?-45792_1024x768_a.jpg

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556