Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2708
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How much abuse can a 4eat take in Chicago stop-and-go traffic commuting everyday to class? Even with my basic Stage 2 and a Protune, the car was never beat on, raced or auto-x (but definitely made the stock 4eat more driveable). It rarely sees redline anyway.

And don't get me started on mpg either. Living in Chicago, I was seeing mid teens for mileage during the winters. Summer was never above 20 mpg. Living in the suburbs now, it's gotten a little better, about 300 miles from a tank but still sucks.

The only Subaru I ever see myself back in is a diesel Outback, but that's wishful thinking it's ever going to come. The current generation diesel Outback was everywhere in Europe this summer.
    Did you happen to add a transmission cooler at all? Going anything beyond stock makes this a requirement, IMHO.

Edit: I feel this way about any performance car that has an automatic. I really wish all car manufacturers would have a stand-alone cooler for the trans...I understand why it gets plumbed through the rad (faster warm-up) but this really just doesn't cut it if you get into towing or wringing more power out of the motor.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I'm running a Long Tru- Cool LPD Transmission Cooler- 18,000 GVW cooler in front of my stock radiator.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    FINALLY bought my wife an 03 Forester XS. No more driving her to/from work for me

The car needs a few small things though.

mtbr member
    have an '11 outback . great car!!! just got back last month from a 7,600 mile 31 day road trip (NJ to glacier,yellowstone,grand tetons,moab+grand canyon). comfortable cruiser, with a thule box on top we averaged 29.7 mpg for the trip. we have put 20,000 miles on it in 1 year and it has been rock solid.

mtbr member
    Speaking of NA Subarus, we have a 2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition that we also got new a few years ago and that car's been trouble-free since day one (knocks on wood lol). It's at 60K miles already and it seems to be great on gas as well. The interior is a big upgrade from the Impreza platform.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    quick question guys, is it okay to run snow tires for awhile in the current Norcal Weather? Im thinking of doing a 3 hour trip down to pismo beach soon.

Reason im asking is because the subaru i got, was equipped with Snow tires, and i dont want to go out and buy all seasons at the moment since i am going to tahoe soon. Switching over to all season and back over to snow would kinda be a pain in the neck..

Thanks

ballbuster

They do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    And turbo engines eat bearings and chunk pistons.
    Huh... news to me, owning two turbo cars. These are not the days of the 1975 air cooled 911 turbo porsche engines.

If a turbo car is detonating, there is something wrong with the boost controller. If that fails, the engine should go into limp mode.

The biggest problem with turbo engines is bearing failure. As long as you don't shut it off when the turbo is red hot, it isn't an issue. Also, engine sludge, but that isn't a problem either if you use synthetic oil. Regular oil bakes out to a thick goo when cooked for too hot too long.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 11-13-2011 at 08:34 PM.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Huh... news to me, owning two turbo cars. These are not the days of the 1975 air cooled 911 turbo porsche engines.

If a turbo car is detonating, there is something wrong with the boost controller. If that fails, the engine should go into limp mode.

The biggest problem with turbo engines is bearing failure. As long as you don't shut it off when the turbo is red hot, it isn't an issue. Also, engine sludge, but that isn't a problem either if you use synthetic oil. Regular oil bakes out to a thick goo when cooked for too hot too long.
    Subaru turbos are water cooled so coking isn't really an issue. They eat bearings and pistons in completely stock form; not just modified.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikestobike View Post
    quick question guys, is it okay to run snow tires for awhile in the current Norcal Weather? Im thinking of doing a 3 hour trip down to pismo beach soon.

Reason im asking is because the subaru i got, was equipped with Snow tires, and i dont want to go out and buy all seasons at the moment since i am going to tahoe soon. Switching over to all season and back over to snow would kinda be a pain in the neck..

Thanks
    What type of subaru do you have?

You can 'technically' take the snow tires to norcal but all you do it tear up the road. With a good AWD system and allseasons you shouldn't have an issue getting up the mountain so you could just make the switch and just leave the snowtires off. Though I don't know what the road to tahoe is like in the winter.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243 View Post

You can 'technically' take the snow tires to norcal but all you do it tear up the road. With a good AWD system and allseasons you shouldn't have an issue getting up the mountain so you could just make the switch and just leave the snowtires off. Though I don't know what the road to tahoe is like in the winter.
    Awd stops just like any other car....don't listen to this jabroni. Also, unless they're studded snow tires they won't mess up any roads.

Keep the snow tires on they do wonders. There are plenty of people on the front range that drive all year long with snow tires. You'll be fine.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

A detonating car isn't doing it because of the boost controller, all that does is regulate boost. Timing/fuel is what affects detonation.

Ever noticed that there's a coolant reservoir above the turbo? When you turn the car off the hot turbo vaporizes the coolant, then it draws more coolant from above. It continues this process until the turbo has cooled to the point where it no longer draws fresh coolant from the reservoir.

Subaru turbos are water cooled so coking isn't really an issue. They eat bearings and pistons in completely stock form; not just modified.
    The spun bearing problems you're referring to are probably from the 09 WRX's. The cranks were not properly cleaned after manufacturing time and the bits of metal just chewed things up. And that only happened to blocks manufactured on cars with June-September 2008 build dates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Snow tires aren't going to tear up the road. The road will tear up snow tires. In warm weather, the tire will be softer and wear faster. You can run snow tires year-round if you want (my friend does that on her Cabrio), but they will most likely wear significantly faster than any all seasons...

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    The spun bearing problems you're referring to are probably from the 09 WRX's. The cranks were not properly cleaned after manufacturing time and the bits of metal just chewed things up. And that only happened to blocks manufactured on cars with June-September 2008 build dates.
    Nope. 2 liters have issues with eating bearings.

2.5's chunk pistons.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    note: probably shouldn't have assumed studded tires but i did. Also I figured this guy is not from an area with that much snow/ice otherwise he would probably know the answer to this and therefore would really be using the car for short trips to the snow which from MY experience you can easily get by with regular tires and packing chains for those real bad situations.

Awd stops just like any other car....don't listen to this jabroni. Also, unless they're studded snow tires they won't mess up any roads.

Keep the snow tires on they do wonders. There are plenty of people on the front range that drive all year long with snow tires. You'll be fine.
    Clever, you may want hold your assumptions about me.

There are also people who just run allseasons in the frontrange.

Oh and by the way with a bit of smart driving and planning ahead you can manage with non-studded tires just give plenty off space and watch for the ***holes who think they are rally drivers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by shamethellama
    Snow tires aren't going to tear up the road. The road will tear up snow tires. In warm weather, the tire will be softer and wear faster. You can run snow tires year-round if you want (my friend does that on her Cabrio), but they will most likely wear significantly faster than any all seasons...
    If they are the studded one they shred roads as well as tearing up your tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

If they are the studded one they shred roads as well as tearing up your tires.
    True dat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Generally speaking most people are talking these days about non-studded winter tires. Usually if someone is referring to studded tires they specify that.

Anyways, leave them on, just don't fly around corners and drive 120 mph. A few days or whatever won't do much.

Elitest thrill junkie

2.5's chunk pistons.
    2.0s? You mean the 2.0 turbo from 2005 and before? (like I had, but no bearing or piston issues...how does that even make sense?). If you have some info, please share it, just being vague about some problems you heard about from a friend doens't cut it. The older 2.0 and 2.5 turbo engines (2001 and on) are pretty damn good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie

Actually, during engine braking (downshifting), AWD does something that other cars can not do, equally distribute that braking/slow down force.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009

2.5's chunk pistons.
    I've never heard of the 2L motors spinning bearings, I haven't heard of the 2L motors having any major problems besides the cold fuel leak. What exactly is causing all these failures that you're referring to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I've never heard of the 2L motors spinning bearings, I haven't heard of the 2L motors having any major problems besides the cold fuel leak. What exactly is causing all these failures that you're referring to?
    The good majority of spun bearings on NASIOC on the 2.0L is due to people running Mobil1 5w-30 synthetic oil which runs too thin for the engine.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    The good majority of spun bearings on NASIOC on the 2.0L is due to people running Mobil1 5w-30 synthetic oil which runs too thin for the engine.
    I get some good extremes here in AZ, temps about -15 to +45C, in the summer months I have used 10wt due to how hot it is, and 5wt in the winter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Some interesting reading on this thread. I had an 04 WRX Wagon, 2 litre, with a bigger turbo and injectors. Never had any problems and drove it to 160k. Even tracked it a fair bit. Of course I never used 5w30.

Now I drive a an 09 STI. Some of the cars have had ringladen issues, but so far so good! The problem seems to be when people run at higher revs (near redline).

Love my STI!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shamethellama View Post
    awesome, thanks!

my worries now is that i have read snows blowing up due to heat, is this true??

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikestobike View Post
    awesome, thanks!

my worries now is that i have read snows blowing up due to heat, is this true??

There's a few people that live on my street that run snows all year round.

The issue with them tearing up the road only applies if they're studded. If they are studded, it may actually be illegal to drive on them if you are in an area that never gets snow, though you would need to check into that. For instance, even here in SWPA it is illegal to run studded tires in the summer. Winter, no problem.

They're not going to blow up due to heat. Wear faster? Yes.

Also - if you know that your car is going to be seeing the best of all 4 seasons (and your pocketbook allows) I am a big fan of getting an extra set of wheels/tires. That way changing from winter to summer treads is slightly easier than a tire rotation.

Sure, all-seasons will get you through the winter, but the performance just can't hold a candle to snow tires, not only in forward motion, but especially in stopping and turning.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the info! Yes I forgot to mention I am running studless tires.

Ah I would want to learn to change a tire, but it seems to dangerous. Not to mention i am still a teenager. Don't worry I'm not one of those teenagers who's fascinated by speed and all those upgrades. I'm fascinated by how cars run. I want to learn everything about my car, and do all the maintenance I can. Love, its what makes a subaru

Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast