mtbr member
    '05 Legacy GT (ABP) here.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

bap
    mtbr member
    love my outback!

plenty of room for the bikes and gear on trips, good on the gas, and drives very nicely in the snow (w/ snow-rated tires)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fellow Subaru owner here. 2000 Outback Limited 5 speed. Lots of fun in the winter

Oh yeah, and just got this a few months ago. 1999 Impreza RS 2.5 5 speed. Love this car!

jrm
    mtbr member

2nd one..

great car..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    dont have a subaru, but im on almost all of the subaru forums.....im a mitsubishi guy but love subarus as well..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thread hijack;

Quote Originally Posted by 06OutlanderAWD
    dont have a subaru, but im on almost all of the subaru forums.....im a mitsubishi guy but love subarus as well..
    what kinda mitsu guy? I'm a gluton for punnishment so I have had 4 different turbo awd mitsu's. Including this one which has ruined my life by turning me into a "car guy" about 9 years ago. I still have it and probably always will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    my family has had 4 or more subs!! some outback and now a forestor. never an issue and gets great mpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    all mitsu guy, haha...

i have had about 11 now, mostly DSM's but also a Endeavor and a few talons but currently a Evo 8, 08 Eclipse, and a 06 Outlander

mtbr member

known issue w/ silent warranty extension

They recalled the cars to add a substance that was supposed to help, and increased the head gasket warranty out to 100000 miles without publicizing it. They fail anywhere between 50k and 150k, and its just about $2k to fix it well. Mine let go at 130k, and is currently sitting in my driveway.

I'm pretty dissappointed, as I've had several other brands out to 200k without this issue. It's the primary reason I didn't buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    Thanks for the heads-up, SJ. I took your advice and emailed Subaru about the other gasket. I'm anxious to see their response.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 2004 WRX Wagon. Cobb Stage2, Prodrive exhaust, STI pink wagon springs, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I dont have any pics, later, but I have a 2003 Impreza Outback Sport. I love this car so much. Who doesn't love plowing through a foot of fresh snow watching it go over your windshield like a wave. Best thing ever.

Friend has a 1992 Legacy Wagon and that thing is a tank. We have taken that car places no car should go. Nothing like following a jacked up Bronco up a jeep trail the whole way then seeing there faces when you pull up next to them. Oh and his car is stock.

I love my car and will drive it into the ground, we'll see if it ever gets there though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    new here and i have a 06 wrx, still saving up for a yakima so i can quit stuffing my bike in the back seat

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a 1999 Legacy Wagon 30th Anniversary L 2.2 with 136k miles. I have packed so much junk in this car, it is great for moving, etc. Seats fold flat, and I can sleep in the back. (I am not a big guy)

Bike goes in the trunk for now, I am looking for cheap Subaru (Yakima) roof racks for bikes.

I love this car because I can work on it. So dang easy to do everything except wheel bearings. Even though I have a 'low' Subaru, I can change my oil in a parking lot if I have to.

Timing belt, water pump, starter, hoses, front wheel bearings, struts, and brakes I have done on my own.

If you have a Legacy, check out sl-i.net if you are not feeling the love on NASIOC or scoobymods.......

I AM I AM
    Ooooops, sorry guys I'll have to abandon you. We had the Subi (Forester) for about 5 months but traded her in for a more bike friendly car......

From this...

To This...

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Another One

Just ran into this thread. Our 98 Outback is our preferred tandem transport. The Subaru used to have a 2.5 which blew up, so I had it replaced with a rebuilt 2.2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My 04 Forester XT

I'll try again with a pic!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm going to have to bow out with ducktape. I just sold my 04 Forester XT

Goodby:

I listed it for sale and it was gone in less than a week. Fastest I have ever sold a car. I'm planning to stick with the wagons for the next car, but I think it will have a V8

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My 04 Forester XT

mtbr member
    2007 Legacy Wagon, my favorite ride off my bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Classic Shape STI

Hi all,

I've got a classic shape 4 door STI as my weekend car (man, I love weekends!) and what to use it as my bike transport (might as well enjoy the drive there and back aswell). Whilst I know you can get roof racks for the bike is there any boot mount, bearing in mind mine has the high spoiler or towing mounts also bearing in mind the factory body kit that I can use to put my DH rig on?
    I know I can use the roof system but would prefere to mount my bike to the rear.

Any help, advice appreciated.

Has anyone kept track of the type of bike to the type of cars on this, make intresting stats!

Best Regards

Neil

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil153
    Hi all,

I've got a classic shape 4 door STI as my weekend car (man, I love weekends!) and what to use it as my bike transport (might as well enjoy the drive there and back aswell). Whilst I know you can get roof racks for the bike is there any boot mount, bearing in mind mine has the high spoiler or towing mounts also bearing in mind the factory body kit that I can use to put my DH rig on?
    I know I can use the roof system but would prefere to mount my bike to the rear.

Any help, advice appreciated.

Has anyone kept track of the type of bike to the type of cars on this, make intresting stats!

Best Regards

Neil
    Hi Neil,

The problem with a trunk rack on the '04-'07 STI's is that the spoiler has the lower element on the trunk, so any straps would rub all over that. The Saris Bones RS would be great if the spoiler didn't have the bottom section.

There are hitches that fit those STI's, so some guys go that route. There is also a method of modifying a set of Yakima clips to fit into the anchor points on the roof so that you don't have to use the clips over the roof rails. That's what I did and I thought that it worked well. The instructions for that option are here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882744

Have fun with the STI,

--Josh

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Josh

Much appreciated, may be able to get it on the back end yet!

Regards

Neil

Off the back...
    I don't know how I missed this thread.

2002 WRX Wagon, WRB
    The original owner picked it up in summer 2001 and drove the hell out of it before giving it back to the dealer. I got it in fall 2003 and have similarly been driving the hell out of it.

I have to say that the WRX is rough around the edges. It's not quiet, the ride is "firm", and the only luxury item is the heated front seats. That said, I am a huge fan. Two bikes get tossed in the back routinely. If we're going on a road trip and have too much gear, they'll go on the roof rack.

[Of course I have some] Mods:
    SS brake lines
    Perrin short shift adapter
    kitten-free
    STI axleback
    Tokico D-spec adjustable struts
    RaceComp Engineering Wagon springs
    front 1/8" aluminum skid plate, OEM steel diff guard
    Perrin endlinks and rear sway bar
    EDM lights with HID and HIR
    Hella FF200 fogs
    Tuned by Airboy
    Scoobyjabo turbo heat shield

I'm ashamed/proud to say that none of the items I've put on the car were actually necessary because something wore out or broke. If I had made no changes whatsoever, I'm sure the car would be running fine. That said, it's waaaay more fun now.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I picked up a 2009 Legacy Sedan in September. Currently my Yakima rack has beaten me up and I still don't have it on the roof yet....one goal for this week!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My wife drives a 2008 Outback XT - fun car with decent power for the family hauler.

I have a 2006 MINI S (full John Cooper Works) which I'll be snagging a single fork-mount for and using a hurricane 15mm fork-up adapter. Will get a 2-3 bike upright trailer hitch mount for the wife's car in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    just picked this up the other weekend,
    allread put on, catback, cobb ap, everything kartboy has

Aquaman

Who here does'nt

Drive a Subaru

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

pic and question

here is the first pic I took of my 04 Outback Sport! I no longer have a roof rack-hitch rack saves me a considerable amount of gas when I'm traveling. Still going strong with 83k. The only issue so far is I need to get a new clutch-dang, they are expensive-$1150 or so! OUCH.

My question is about the rear suspension. It feels really rough over small bumps, especially studder bumps. It doesn't seem so noticable when I have a packed car. Has anyone else had this issue? If I remember right, I had the same issue with my Legacy Outback prior to the Sport.

Thanks and great to see all the Subies on here!

Brent

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid56
    Nice!! I like the new Impreza but do miss the factory rails. Probably will not buy another for that reason when my '02 WRX wagon has to go, which I hope is not for a long long time. But maybe by then they will be back in style!

jrm
    mtbr member

very badd aaazzzz

more pics?

mtbr member
    That is the WRX STI Imprezza, which for all intensive purposes is everything much and more than the standard imprezza, no comparisons other than chasis shape.

Took one for a couple of test drives and I loved it, interior is SO much better than previous models and becoming better. But again, I wish they had stuck with the proto-model though because the front was SOOOOOooooo much more interesting.

Currently, it looks too much like the Mazda Axela in both exterior and interior - named here in Japan; both front and rear are VERY similar to the Impreza, which relegates the STI as less individual although no less excellent.

Concept - Excellent from the sides and front as well as the interior, although the rear is just not working:

The current version:

And the Mazda Axela:

Even the Toyota Caldina looks similar to both. Wish the retentive Suby executives would get off their collective narrow minds and use a little foresight or they may end up as GM...building cars nobody wants (if I can say that in lamens terms).
    Last edited by Sim2u; 12-14-2008 at 09:33 PM.

It's about showing up.

Tribeca

Our lease on the 2006 was up. There was a 2008 fully loaded and we snagged it. I put a hitch on it with a 4x bike, swingaway rack. I got the cross-bars for the top and put on a Space Cadet. We just drove 1000 miles from Berkeley through a blizzard in the Cascades and snow and ice all the way up to Victoria. What a great machine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Nice!! I like the new Impreza but do miss the factory rails. Probably will not buy another for that reason when my '02 WRX wagon has to go, which I hope is not for a long long time. But maybe by then they will be back in style!
    yea, i sort of miss them, but i have always liked the look ofthe wagon with no rails. the factory rails bolt in place in a few min and are super sturdy.

will have more pics soon, putting on new rims tomorrow.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    That is the WRX STI Imprezza, which for all intensive purposes is everything much and more than the standard imprezza, no comparisons other than chasis shape.

Took one for a couple of test drives and I loved it, interior is SO much better than previous models and becoming better. But again, I wish they had stuck with the proto-model though because the front was SOOOOOooooo much more interesting.
    Huh? That top thing was someone's concept, but not subarus. It's not real, just a computer image. Thank god, cause it's ugly as sin.

Anyway, while the STI is still an STI, the 2009 WRX finally has some "teeth", and it will do 0-60 faster than the STI due to not having to shift. They quickened the steering, stiffened the suspension, and finally gave it some power. Since the car came out it has never seen a power increase, so it's finally nice to see them doing something to make it more competative with all the mazda speed 3s and other similer pocket-rockets. The 2009 WRX is putting down some fine dynos, and given the fact that its lighter than the STI, it's easy to see why the WRX is finally doing better. The STI will still own it at the upper speed ranges where it will simply "pull" for longer, but the 2009 WRX solves the issue of the 2008 WRX, which was a new chassi, but softer suspension and no increase in power.

You can upgrade a WRX to outperform an STI (assuming the STI is stock or only slightly modified), while you say there are "no comparissions", the STI is basically just a bunch of bolt-on stuff, lots of differences, but in the big picture you can bolt on the brakes, wheels, swaybars, shocks, springs, etc. I don't want to get into engine mods, but the STI obviously has a more capable engine with the forged parts and the turbo that comes with it. You can still upgrade the WRX to outperform it though. (And yes, you can upgrade the STI to vastly outperform a stock STI).

The negative of all this is the $$$ that it costs to upgrade an WRX, and the extra $$$ that it takes to do it properly so you don't blow out stuff. The positive is that a midly upgraded WRX retains pretty good milege (and it's lighter), while the STI is pretty poor in this regard.

All that said, I have been considering the STI as my next car, and I'll probably continue to do so.
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-22-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    Who here does'nt[sic} Drive a Subaru
    I don't. I've driven with plenty of them. They are fun cars, albeit a bit unreliable when heavily modded.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Get a downpipe on that baby! Huge difference. I did turbo-back in two parts, cat-back and the DP. The DP was a far greater improvement. It was a b*tch to install relative to the cat-back, but worth it. The cobb DPs are solid. Anyhow, looking nice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Get a downpipe on that baby! Huge difference. I did turbo-back in two parts, cat-back and the DP. The DP was a far greater improvement. It was a b*tch to install relative to the cat-back, but worth it. The cobb DPs are solid. Anyhow, looking nice.
    its on the list, this is my third impreza so i know a bit about them. and since i picked this one up for 28 brand new befor taxes and 0% for 5 years i feel its a much better value then the 09 wrx. not to mention the biggest thing. huge fender flairs i can run a much wider tire then the wrx.

Shane

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Sold my almost 500k mile outback to someone who is using it as their DD a few months ago and got a used 08 forester x with 24k on it, should last till 2018.

mtbr member
    pic with the new wheel setup

mtbr member
    yea, i sort of miss them, but i have always liked the look ofthe wagon with no rails. the factory rails bolt in place in a few min and are super sturdy.

will have more pics soon, putting on new rims tomorrow.
    [
    Haha. I thought you were going to change out those god awful wheels and you get another design in the same hideous color. Why?

Code Burr
    I have a 2006 fozzie and the road noise in deafening. Maybe its the continental tires but the sound proofing in this car is a joke. I just put $200 worth of fat mat in the doors and it didnt help.
    Pros
    Fold down the rear seat and I can sleep in it. Who needs a tent? Also holds 4 bikes stacked horizontal. Decent gas mileage(24 avg).
    Cons
    Road noise louder than my stereo, need an amp I guess.
    Cheap interiors
    4 sp AT

mtbr member
    Here is my brother's Impreza RS. Looking to get a hitch and rack for it.
    Pretty good pep.

Side note - Installing the cobb DP on my friends WRX wasnt too bad, although we did use a lift, having a nice 36 inch extension with a u-joint helps big time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    I have a 2006 fozzie and the road noise in deafening.
    Usually it is resonance caused by the fact that it's a wagon, I'd suggest putting the sound-deadening material in the bottom of the cargo area, attached to the metal. Even though it may not seem logical (not the source of the sound), if you can kill the resonance you can kill a lot of noise. If you really like the car, you can take out the seats and interior, put that stuff in the bottom all over the place, then put everything back in. That stuff is expensive though and it would be a PITA to do the entire car. Maybe just take it out of the doors and try the cargo area?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2003 outback and a 2007 outback in the house here.

jrm
    mtbr member

Happy with my 08' Tribeca

Its proven to be as cycling worthy as the 4runner it replaced. Had it @ boggs and cool last year and it did well as a support-camper. Done some long trips and gotta say its been great. Recently plugged the resonator (vase shaped bulb under the airbox) and installed a kn filter. No real HP gain but noticeable improvement in throttle response.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Usually it is resonance caused by the fact that it's a wagon, I'd suggest putting the sound-deadening material in the bottom of the cargo area, attached to the metal. Even though it may not seem logical (not the source of the sound), if you can kill the resonance you can kill a lot of noise. If you really like the car, you can take out the seats and interior, put that stuff in the bottom all over the place, then put everything back in. That stuff is expensive though and it would be a PITA to do the entire car. Maybe just take it out of the doors and try the cargo area?
    I started in the cargo area under the spare. It was bare metal!!! I put a bunch of mat there and then carpet padding. It might have helped some but its hard to tell. Right now i'm dealing with a door seal that is whistling on the freeway. Oh well, at least it runs great and is pretty comfy on road trips. I put premium in it yesterday and it seems to like that a lot better, mine is n/a.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2008 Gary Fisher Piranha yesterday after being bike-less since last summer after leaving my old 2002 Trek 4500 back in Poland for good.

My daily driver is a 2005 SAAB 9-2X AERO Arctic Silver 4eat | COBB Stage 2 Protuned

konahonzo

Muskoka

02 wrx wagon

I love this car, even moreso in winter...

mtbr member

Subaru

I never want to hear White Christmas ever again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This thread is so cool!

I have really enjoyed all of my Subies:

91 Loyale > 2000 OBS > 2005 RS Wgn (Just Sold) > ??? Outback XT or Tribeca

Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast