Page 4 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    You know I am SO F SHOCKED that wacked out subaru did not employ this design...OMG it is SO much fresher than the old staggered, square box shape of Subaru's past gone. This design REALLY would have gathered a whole new look for them while maintaining the integrity of the Subaru theme. What a bunch of nobs...One of the companies I work for also designs the clusters for them aswell...but we only get minimal discount though.

This design is so hot...I love it. But the back is much to be desired in terms of the rear spoiler, rear exhausts - the rear...! The front and sides are great, but on the whole it would have only needed minimal refinement to make it a complete hit and a classic new shape for them. Too conservative in the area though.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Just a small bump...

Got my bike tray mounted to the wagon finally Here's a shot of the FSR up on top.

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg
    We have a 1998 Legacy Outback (shown) and a 2008 Outback.
    '98 has ~273,000km., no rust (treat it with Krown rustproofing every year), and - so far - very reliable and low maintenance transportation. We retired our 98 Volvo wagon back in December for the 2008 Outback. The Volvo had ~340,000km., and was starting to kill us with maintenance. The Subaru is aging a whole let better. Plan is to put a turbo engine into the 98 when it gets nearer to 300,000km. (ie. timing belt time). My cousin is a Subaru/Volvo/Hyundai dealer, and for my purposes and budget, the Subaru is the best of the three.
    Subarus may be a little harder on gas than rwd/fwd only cars, but if you drive in snow its worth it. I am a bike, ski, paddlesports dealer and this car gets me to Vermont a couple of times every winter (1000km drive) in complete confidence.
    Car is shown with Thule Crossroad and bars, Thule Peleton tray, and Thule Hull-A-Port Pro. 'Toys' are Nimbus Telkwa Sport kayak and Dekerf ti hardtail.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Have you all seen this Subaru commercial?
    Looks like I need to change my underpants again.

Of course, that was all American rally footage. Whenever Pastrana and Block race outside of the US they seem to end up in a ditch. On the other hand the Euros haven't quite mastered the 170-foot gap jump!

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
    Got my bike tray mounted to the wagon finally Here's a shot of the FSR up on top.
    Good lord man, is that a Toyota in your garage?

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Yeah thats my truck in the garage... and in the garage it sits. Tired of wrenching on it, and with the mountain bike I plan on using that to get me into the woods this summer.

Its a fun rig, but I'm fighting to get it passed the CA smog and make it legal again.

here's pic of it on one of its outings last year:

It gets me more places than my lifted Subaru ever got me... however for some reason it just isn't as much fun. Dont get me wrong, its fun... but just doesn't have that "im wheelin a subaru" feel to it.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Subarus are great cars for sure, very dependable, excellent safety record, good mileage and such. But the window leaking air is something that's kept me from pulling the trigger on one. Well that and the fact I just can't get the seating position into a place that's comfortable for me. I know two people with Foresters and they both whistle on the highway. They also leak when they wash their cars. Not saying its something really common or anything like that, but its been a deal breaker for me. Maybe I'm paranoid. The new Forester has a frame around the window so it should seal better. I think it looks better too, but that's a personal thing. So does the Tribeca. Those two have been on my short list for a replacement for my Tundra.
    I have a 2006 Forester and the windows dont leak but I can see how they might. They are basically sealed by a rubber trim strip and if its damaged then they might leak. My car is loud on the highway. Especially w 40+psi in the tires. But hey i'm getting 24mpg and I can sleep in the back of it with the seats folded down. Not too many cars out there that you can camp inside of them and i'm 6'3". Road noise can be fixed by pulling the carpet and putting in some dynamat. Ride comfort is better than my old Tacoma, the iron maiden of trucks.

Bikewise, i've stacked 3 FS bikes in the back and hauled 3 riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Subaru, a 2004 Forester XT in fact.
    I have 2 roof mounted Thule Big Mouths. I don't have any pictures with my Bike on top, I gotta take some pictures next time I through the Bikes on.
    The Forester XT is the perfect vehicle for me. Snowboarding, Biking, Family and Performance.
    I currently have 110k miles on it and it hasn't slowed down yet.

I don't really want to get in the middle of that Forester XT vs 350z argument, but I will put in my two cents. No I haven't raced, one however my friend does have a 350z which I have driven. Honestly, for a sports car, it's not that quick. The forester feels quicker even from a roll.
    Yes, the AWD of the Subaru helps it Launch of the line, however a rolling start from 10mph will snap your head back just quick. The gearing is so short as mentioned earlier, and this helps it with those 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
    Yes, The 350z Handles better, but that is what it's designed for. It's like arguing that the Forester can fit more people, well of course it can that is what it was designed for.

One of the reason's I bought the Forester XT was because, I wanted a "sporty car" but needed more practicality. I don't know of one car that can do it, but the Forester XT is pretty good at alot of things.

Anyway here is a picture of my '04 Forester XT, and yes Subarus and Bikes do go hand in hand.
    f4.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    07 STI limited here! But my bike straps to the back of my 08 X-Terra.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    '98 2.5 GT Wagon
    - Eric

uzhas
    Much hated 2008 here

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerXT
    I have a Subaru, a 2004 Forester XT in fact.
    I have 2 roof mounted Thule Big Mouths. I don't have any pictures with my Bike on top, I gotta take some pictures next time I through the Bikes on.
    The Forester XT is the perfect vehicle for me. Snowboarding, Biking, Family and Performance.
    I currently have 110k miles on it and it hasn't slowed down yet.

I don't really want to get in the middle of that Forester XT vs 350z argument, but I will put in my two cents. No I haven't raced, one however my friend does have a 350z which I have driven. Honestly, for a sports car, it's not that quick. The forester feels quicker even from a roll.
    Yes, the AWD of the Subaru helps it Launch of the line, however a rolling start from 10mph will snap your head back just quick. The gearing is so short as mentioned earlier, and this helps it with those 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
    Yes, The 350z Handles better, but that is what it's designed for. It's like arguing that the Forester can fit more people, well of course it can that is what it was designed for.

One of the reason's I bought the Forester XT was because, I wanted a "sporty car" but needed more practicality. I don't know of one car that can do it, but the Forester XT is pretty good at alot of things.

Anyway here is a picture of my '04 Forester XT, and yes Subarus and Bikes do go hand in hand.
    f4.jpg
    I love the white FXT's . I have been really happy with mine so far. I have only owned it since the 1st of March. I have a bad habit of gong through cars like underware, and so far I have no desire to get rid of the scoobie THe turbo Foresters are not the ultimate sports cars, but they cover many different bases very well. Like hauling bikes, and still driving fast and sporty.

mtbr member
    Another FXT here. Love this car. Went from an 04 Mustang GT to this and I'll just say that except for the sound, I don't miss the Mustang at all.
    I'd love to lower it but it just sees too much dirt...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    2008 OBXT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Alot of nice subarus here!
    9guy9 - your Forester is Nice, what suspension setup do you have? I see the larger scoop is there an STi intercooler under that?

RyGuy - If your interested in better handling and keeping decent ground clearance on your Forester, you can always just switch the Rear Sway Bar to an STi one for cheap ($120), it will take alot of the body roll out, an additional option would be to get the forester STi springs which I have installed as well, which only lower it an inch but are slightly stiffer.

Lets see more Subarus

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Edmunds / Car & Driver has a piece on the 2010 wagon redesign, which is definitely going to solicit strong opinions pro and con.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=126468#3

Unfortunately, no commitment on the diesel boxer just yet, and still no word of the Legacy wagon re-entering the lineup.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I have to say so far the face is 100% better... The lights really set off the wheel arch lines and give the Fr facia a really nice aggressive yet more refined look. Taking away from the boring blase old style face. I still think the insignia and grill area are a little off in terms of the rest of the design idea and feel awkward in many ways.

But all in all, its so much better...the light cluster is fantastic and picking more up from the above redesigned pic above in post 76. My company does some of the parts for this car and in Tokyo will get to have a better look VERY soon, as of yet I have only seen drawings and mocks as well as photo shoots. Still wish they would produce a variation on the better aspects of the Lars Martensson design from his own hatchback but suited up as the Impreza STI 2008 model...man I drool on many design aspects of that car.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Edmunds / Car & Driver has a piece on the 2010 wagon redesign, which is definitely going to solicit strong opinions pro and con.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=126468#3

Unfortunately, no commitment on the diesel boxer just yet, and still no word of the Legacy wagon re-entering the lineup.

I like the part about the 430hp Legacy STI. Holy cow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    I have to say so far the face is 100% better... The lights really set off the wheel arch lines and give the Fr facia a really nice aggressive yet more refined look. Taking away from the boring blase old style face. I still think the insignia and grill area are a little off in terms of the rest of the design idea and feel awkward in many ways.

But all in all, its so much better...
    Sim-

That is how my wife summed up the Outback vs Forester. Although the Forester does have some of the new corporate look, I felt inside it was not of as high a quality. Given the IMBA VIP and rebates they are about the same price.

The '10 Outback hopefully will have a 5speed auto, and more ground clearance than the drawing. I also felt the rear seat was bigger on the Forester than Outback.

Do I make her happy or get the wagon

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerXT
    Alot of nice subarus here!
    9guy9 - your Forester is Nice, what suspension setup do you have? I see the larger scoop is there an STi intercooler under that?

RyGuy - If your interested in better handling and keeping decent ground clearance on your Forester, you can always just switch the Rear Sway Bar to an STi one for cheap ($120), it will take alot of the body roll out, an additional option would be to get the forester STi springs which I have installed as well, which only lower it an inch but are slightly stiffer.

Lets see more Subarus

I have a drummond coil over setup in my FXT, along with cobb swaybars. Now that the weather is nice and its warm out I love it. But during cold temps it is very stiff and harsh. I am looking for a good deal on a set of STi takeoff's to swap in. here is a ESX intercooler under the scoop, as well as a Cobb header and full exhaust. I bought the car with all the mods done which was nice as it saved me quite a chunk of change. I just need to find a bigger turbo.

mtbr member
    Yes I have to say that I gave just a very brief visual opinion at best...when the talk starts getting techy, it just drools into pages, so best just to slam it down simple I guess.

But as to your choice...man, that IS a hard one I hvae to say. I like both and I do aggree on the quality. I was deciding between the Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2V6 Q4 Skywindow top spec with an after market Autodelta J5 kit...OR the 2008 STI WRX Impreza. To compare the quality minus price, the STI left me feeling great in terms of its drivable aspects but the cabin build, choice of materials, feel and look...well, let me just say that I felt as if I had bought it for the price being sold for I would hahve felt ripped off. It just felt like for the price, its should of had a bit more...to it.

I went for the Brera...next year we get the J5 kit done...which is bloody crazy expensive to have done here in Japan due to the fact that there are no Autodelta groups here and Jano himself has to fly up and slap all the pretty bits on, like the Supercharger, suspension kit, 19" rims+wheels, exhaust headers cats, ecu mod etc etc SOo far I have to say I love the brera, even if its a bit heavier but the STI felt more responsive and much more snappier.

But...I would not want to have your choice mate...hard one indeedy. I have to say though I do prefere the forester, snap a Turbo on it and whah-lah...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    Sim-

That is how my wife summed up the Outback vs Forester. Although the Forester does have some of the new corporate look, I felt inside it was not of as high a quality. Given the IMBA VIP and rebates they are about the same price.

The '10 Outback hopefully will have a 5speed auto, and more ground clearance than the drawing. I also felt the rear seat was bigger on the Forester than Outback.

Do I make her happy or get the wagon

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Wow! That is HOT!

I love my 2007 Legacy GT but I'm starting to regret not getting the wagon. If they bring back the wagon in 2010 with that look, I'll be trading it in for sure!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    Wow! That is HOT!

I love my 2007 Legacy GT but I'm starting to regret not getting the wagon. If they bring back the wagon in 2010 with that look, I'll be trading it in for sure!
    Well, what I am entirely unclear on is that the concept vehicle pictured has pretty low ground clearance in keeping with the Legacy, but seems entirely inappropriate for the Outback.

My hope is this is an indication of thereturn of the Legacy wagon to the US market. They're still building them in the US assembly facility for sale in Canada, and the Legacy wagon remains popular in Europe.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Tossin the salad.
    My pimp mobile:

article:
    130K runs like new and looks it to. No issues yet or plan to for the future

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2008 XT, first new car I've ever had.. Loving it so far, gotta get the hitch mount going though- damn bikes scuffing up the pristine interior.

Page 4 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast