Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 2781
    I <3 dirt
    Not only do you get two but they can both bigger then just a can of coke. The storage area in front of the shifter has a fancy little door too. Theres also 2 flip out cup holders in the back and the parking brake boot is the same as the shifter boot. I scored a whole console swap for really cheap so I upgraded. As a daily driver it's paid for itself IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    In a few months I am about to trade in my 2003 Mazda6 which I bought new for something. My first choice is a F150 4x4. Even thought the newer engines such as the Ecoboost may average 18mpg which I think is great for a truck that size, gas prices extremely high.
    I want a awd or 4wd vehicle. I had a 1996 impreza before the mazda. I liked it but felt it was underpowered and the awd was a 90/10 split without traction control or limited slip. It was ok in the snow but not great (even with snow tires). I am hoping the newer models have a better awd system or the traction control will help it out in the snow.

Anyone know if Subaru makes or plans on making an auto WRX?

My mazda is a manual which I am tired of using in Atlanta traffic.
    I drive a manual 2008 impreza, so it has a 50/50 split, but it was absolutely amazing in the snow. I drove it through an unplowed blizzard with a little over a foot of snow on the ground in my hilly area. Didn't skip a beat, the traction control coupled with braking limited slip found traction up ever hill. I was quite impressed. No snow tires, just the factory ones.

If you buy an auto subaru, make sure it's a 2008 plus, the braking limited slip makes all the difference in transferring power on road and in snow. Doesn't allow for enough torque to work well for off roading, but it helps. The 08+ WRX Automatics were called Impreza GT's. They had less horsepower but you are basically at the limit of the 4EAT tranny.

I <3 dirt
    Traction....control.....wrx........no compute.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just picked up an 04 Impreza Outback Sport in 5 speed last week, I'm in love with this car!

I just got a hitch installed to haul bikes on, I wanna kayak rack for my birthday and I'll be set.

mtbr member
    Wow, checking back in this thread, glad to see it going as strong as ever!

Unfortunately for me, my Subaru is pretty much a lost cause. But I still continue to lurk and read up on Subarus since I'm quite the addict.

Also, anyone here with an FB-engined Subaru? Love the fact that DOHC is standard, and a TIMING CHAIN instead of a timing-belt!

FB engines are standard in:
    2011+ non-turbo Forester
    2012+ non-turbo Impreza
    2013+ non-turbo boxer-4 Legacy and Outback
    2013+ non-turbo XV (known as XV Crosstrek in North America)

Also, the FB engines use the black Subaru OEM oil filters, made by Tokyo Roki. Good stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Traction....control.....wrx........no compute.
    Bah. Sometimes people don't want to be going balls out and getting the car sideways constantly on their commute to work.

That's why there's the off button.

It's also why there's the multi-mode VDC on the STI's. The manufacturer knows that not everyone deserves to be jonny drifter in their STI so they at least give them a small safety net for when they do something dumb

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Bah. Sometimes people don't want to be going balls out and getting the car sideways constantly on their commute to work.

That's why there's the off button.

It's also why there's the multi-mode VDC on the STI's. The manufacturer knows that not everyone deserves to be jonny drifter in their STI so they at least give them a small safety net for when they do something dumb
    I still dont know what this traction control thing is.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just e-mailed the dealer to try to get a delivery date for the '12 Impreza I ordered for my wife...a month ago. They said 6-8 weeks for delivery. I may look into a hitch receiver for the car, if they become available, to use my fancy Yakima rack normally on my X-Terra.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikebmx999 View Post
    i still dont know what this traction control thing is.....
    +1.

I <3 dirt
    I haz abs kind of?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I still dont know what this traction control thing is.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    +1.
    Subaru Traction Control
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Not on my 02 WRX I have an LSD in the rear and that's it.

mtbr member
    05 WRX, 96 Impreza wagon, 00 2.5 RS, and now a 09 Impreza hatchback. Only owned Subarus.

I'd really like to see a Legacy GT wagon again.

I <3 dirt
    This. My TC is pedaling the throttle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Doggie bed made out of old bike tires.

Happy dogs.

Custom made 2" receiver.

b a n n e d
    ^^^ Nice! How'd you make the dog bed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    ^^^ Nice! How'd you make the dog bed?
    Check here Fun things you can make for your car out of old bicycle parts

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    That's awesome!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Doggie bed made out of old bike tires.
    Well done!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Wow, checking back in this thread, glad to see it going as strong as ever!

Unfortunately for me, my Subaru is pretty much a lost cause. But I still continue to lurk and read up on Subarus since I'm quite the addict.

Also, anyone here with an FB-engined Subaru? Love the fact that DOHC is standard, and a TIMING CHAIN instead of a timing-belt!

FB engines are standard in:
    2011+ non-turbo Forester
    2012+ non-turbo Impreza
    2013+ non-turbo boxer-4 Legacy and Outback
    2013+ non-turbo XV (known as XV Crosstrek in North America)

Also, the FB engines use the black Subaru OEM oil filters, made by Tokyo Roki. Good stuff

Have a 2011 Forester with the FB engine. Really happy with it. Great fuel economy if you drive it easy. Mine's a 5spd manual. Here's a shot I have handy with the 1up rack and the wife's bike on it. I can fit the bikes easily inside but not a fan of mud and tire marks on the interior.

ballbuster

Really?

Not even ABS based so-called 'electronic diff lock"? It's easy enough to do. ABS computer senses a wheel spinning faster than the car is traveling, apply brake to spinning wheel, and power is redirected to the opposite wheel. It's not super effective... I mean, there is only so hard the ABS pump can clamp down on the brake without the pedal pressure, but it helps.

Or, you can just left foot brake when a wheel breaks loose, which is what we did on Quattro cars in the 80s before Audi had ABS.

I know on many cars, you can turn off the electronic traction control because if the car gets stuck in the snow, sometimes the traction control can keep the wheels from turning at all if they are breaking loose too easily.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Not even ABS based so-called 'electronic diff lock"? It's easy enough to do. ABS computer senses a wheel spinning faster than the car is traveling, apply brake to spinning wheel, and power is redirected to the opposite wheel. It's not super effective... I mean, there is only so hard the ABS pump can clamp down on the brake without the pedal pressure, but it helps.

Or, you can just left foot brake when a wheel breaks loose, which is what we did on Quattro cars in the 80s before Audi had ABS.

I know on many cars, you can turn off the electronic traction control because if the car gets stuck in the snow, sometimes the traction control can keep the wheels from turning at all if they are breaking loose too easily.
    abs in early cars barely works anyways and it's usually over bumps when braking lol.

You don't need any of that crap anyways.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    There's a thread on NASIOC: ABS + Bumps = Dirty Drawers. And with good reason. The ABS computer on the early WRX was so sensitive that if you were braking and crossed an expansion joint, rough road, bumps, etc it would engage the ABS and the pedal would go to the floor. Even if you have available grip you can't make use of it. Subaru replaced several ABS units to help correct the problem, but it didn't really fix anything.

In other news, replaced my wife's front sway bar endlinks and noticed the entire underside of the car from the tranny back is covered in ATF. Yay...

I <3 dirt
    My 04 does it but not where the pedal goes to the floor. It just pulses (absing?) to where I need to lift then get back on. Does it every day I get off the highway on my way to work.

Ironically on a snowy day unless I hit a bump it generally doesn't come on haha

They're quirky but I like that my car is archaic compared to any other car from 04.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quirky is an understatement. I had to get used to all the weird sounds these cars make.

I <3 dirt
    I just refer to them as Subaru noises. Any other brand of car they would be a concern....but no those terrible sounding noises are made by every Subaru

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow! New to this forum; I didn`t think there would be such a Subaru community here!
    As a previous poster mentioned... a better title for the thread should be Who doesn't own a Subaru here?"

Hi,
    My name is 08FXT, and I am a Subaru addict.

Here's my ride - 2008 Forester XT with a few mods

my quest for the perfect Subaru

b a n n e d
    THAT is a badass foz!! I am pretty sure I've seen you on a few other boards

I have a '10 FXT that I might end up modding out when the lease is up. Stage 2, better sways and some good struts. Probably a trim kit and bigger wheels . . . that'd be enough

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the comment!
    Definitely go for the sway bars/springs/better tires mod; first mod I would do...more power is great, but great handling makes the day-to-day driving experience so much more fun.

The 09+ model is growing on me now. These aussie guys did a great job with an 10FXT.:

Pedders and Mighty Car Mods Subaru Forester - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm currently driving a 2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. Bought the car new in September 2010. I've since added a Rallitek rear sway bar and end links, front strut tower brace and a few other items to make the car meet my needs.

As I'm just getting back into mountain biking and needed a way to haul our bikes, I installed 2 Yakima Front Loaders on the factory aero bars. Great racks on a great car!!

mtbr member
    My noble steed: 2003 WRX Wagon - bone stock but for the 06-07 wheels and an AEM CAI.
    Last edited by kragu; 05-30-2012 at 07:44 AM.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Looks great!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm driving my wife's Subaru after my car broke down and she upgraded. Nice for her, but I'm in this station wagon that I don't really like: automatic and doesn't have a good bike rack.

Does anyone know offhand: is there any way to put a good bike rack on it (the steel ones that come up from the hitch) without a hitch already in place?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Um, yes, you get a hitch installed. That's what most people do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes! Nothing makes me happier than seeing a scoob with a rack. Will post pics once i can!

mtbr member
    After 9 years and 170k my first pro-tune. I went from 165 whp to 195 whp, yeah!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else here drives a Subaru?-2012_05250004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just bought my first subie! 09 Forester X and if i don't spend all my money on bike parts i'm going to be putting leather in. I hate cloth! It just doesn't work with my lifestyle... Mud is too hard to get out of cloth

I'll post up a pic when I have the post count.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a red '04 Forester XT with a black leather interior. Goddamn this car is great. Every time I think of upgrading I lose that thought as soon as I get behind the wheel.

I think I may be a Subaru man for the rest of my days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Same here! I have an '05 XT, base car...cloth seats and no moonroof. Wife drives an '03 XS. With a family of bikes, traveling to races, etc., we really could use a little more space, and the wife can't/won't drive a manual, so there's a certain amount of logic to replacing mine. And then I drive it, particularly on the country backroads around here. I can just taste the future regret.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Same here! I have an '05 XT, base car...cloth seats and no moonroof. Wife drives an '03 XS. With a family of bikes, traveling to races, etc., we really could use a little more space, and the wife can't/won't drive a manual, so there's a certain amount of logic to replacing mine. And then I drive it, particularly on the country backroads around here. I can just taste the future regret.
    For what it's worth, 2010 Outbacks are starting to pop up Certified Pre-Owned with a certain regularity now since they've been out long enough, and that is like a quantum leap forward if you need more room and fuel economy. I mean for your wife to replace her Forester.

mtbr member
    We have a 2003 OB with 189K on the clock and I'm going to keep driving that thing until it gives up the ghost for good.....already done the head gasket.....all sorts of other items to keep her going so I'm getting my money's worth out of her.....I want to flip 200,000, which will only take about 6 more months.

My current question is around the new 2012 Impreza.....I know it is rated at 36mpg highway, which is outstanding, but we would probably chuck a Thule on the roof.....anyone with a 2012 Impreza running a Thule or similar? What was the impact on the mpg? I'm guessing it would drop to low 30s high 20s and at that rate I might as well look at the newer OBs as well.....as they are getting high 20s highway consistently.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    We have a 2003 OB with 189K on the clock and I'm going to keep driving that thing until it gives up the ghost for good.....already done the head gasket.....all sorts of other items to keep her going so I'm getting my money's worth out of her.....I want to flip 200,000, which will only take about 6 more months.

My current question is around the new 2012 Impreza.....I know it is rated at 36mpg highway, which is outstanding, but we would probably chuck a Thule on the roof.....anyone with a 2012 Impreza running a Thule or similar? What was the impact on the mpg? I'm guessing it would drop to low 30s high 20s and at that rate I might as well look at the newer OBs as well.....as they are getting high 20s highway consistently.
    Also the Impreza based Crosstrek XV with 8.7" ground clearance comes to NA this fall...
    edit; pic removed as it was oversize ( even though i had selected small version it doesn't load in that way)
    If we could get it in NA with that lovely 2.0 litre diesel motor that the rest of the planet gets then it would be my next car for sure!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 07-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113125576961447749127

RSD Bikes The Mayor
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Been looking at 2012 Impreza myself. It's been very popular and the 2012's are sold out in my area. I'll have to wait for the 2013's or order one.
    If you haven't seen this forum yet it seems to have some good info.

('11+) Roof rack options for 2012 Impreza - NASIOC

mtbr member
    FWIW, I leave the racks on my 09 Impreza all Summer... it takes about a 1 - 2mpg hit on the highway. Putting a bike on top doesn't make a substantial difference (.5 mpg maybe).

That said, the new Imprezas have weak, but most likely reliable, motors. I don't think I could deal with something slower than the one I have.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Also the Impreza based Crosstrek XV with 8.7" ground clearance comes to NA this fall...

If we could get it in NA with that lovely 2.0 litre diesel motor that the rest of the planet gets then it would be my next car for sure!
    I want an XV bad, but not going to happen until we probably get or '07 Impreza wagon paid down a bit more. A diesel would be a great option, but unfortunately, probably won't happen anytime soon.

Might just have to get a set of Forester struts for the time-being to yield some ground clearance...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a link to information on the XV....that thing looks sweet. But I am also a little skeptical of the 2.0L......my 2.5L is so anemic now I couldn't imagine having less power.....albeit in a lighter car but still.

MVRAY - thanks for the link....I haven't been in that forum for a while....I'll check it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    '08 Outback XT here! Love it! Perfect combination of function and performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrnHrnt View Post
    '08 Outback XT here! Love it! Perfect combination of function and performance.
    Unfortunately also requires premium fuel right?

Sweet ride though.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Unfortunately also requires premium fuel right?

Sweet ride though.....
    I'm on my second car with premium. When gas is 3-4 bucks a gallon, what's 20c more? It's not that bad. I'd argue the more expensive gas is, the less it's an issue. It doesn't rise proportionally out here, it just keeps about the same cent difference.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I'm on my second car with premium. When gas is 3-4 bucks a gallon, what's 20c more? It's not that bad. I'd argue the more expensive gas is, the less it's an issue. It doesn't rise proportionally out here, it just keeps about the same cent difference.
    I agree 100%. People make a huge deal over premium vs regular but it's maybe $2 more a fill up.