Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I bought 1" foam rolls to use when I put the bikes in the back of the Brera along with a top plastic sheet which is 2m x 2m, when all is said and done...i just roll them all up and its takes minimal room in the back when not used. Just a cheap solution really but works great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's not my daily driver but here's my '85 Brat

Still has the seats in the back too

mtbr member
    Wow thats cool...like a ride you pay to go on at the show, nice.

Your neighbour must be a real patriot in the extreme though...?

mtbr member
    02 WRX and 08 FSXT....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Wow thats cool...like a ride you pay to go on at the show, nice.

Your neighbour must be a real patriot in the extreme though...?
    Assuming you mean me. Actually he seemed kind of hippie-like. He was always out playing his guitar on the sidewalk. We actually only lived in that house for a year (rental) & I never really talked to the neighbors much. The Jeep was mine (gone now, miss it but not the mpg) and the Sport Trac & Fiat were my roomates.

mtbr member

04 WRX wagon

Can haul bikes and gear in a hurry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Puke already..... we still have a long way to climb

Barely awake in Marin
    No pix, apologies OP, but I'm still rolling in a 2000 Subaru Impreza L (5d wagon, sans the Outback sportiness). Always been a bit disappointed in the gas mileage, even with the smaller 2.0L engine; I dropped it off at the dealership fa 90K-mile tuneup and saw the '08 Outback Sport has practically the same mileage, 8 years later.

However, it's been so badly abused and comes back for more. I've had a few electronic switches replaced, and the rear bearings did need replacement this week, but no major problems. The driver's side window is getting noisy at speed as the rubber seals unseat, too. But all minor quibbles; the engine runs great and it's never left me stranded anywhere. Not the sexiest of wheels, but I love it.

mtbr member

Another Subaru owner here

No pics yet, but I bought an 07' Impreza 2.5i wagon last March. Just passed 20K miles on it. I actually bought the factory bike rack (rebranded Yakima Raptor) for mine and the fiancee's bikes. I've actually been able to put both of them in the back of the car with the seats folded down on several occasions as well. I love my car - it gets decent gas mileage (27-28 mpg highway), is great during the winter, and can haul camping gear, bikes, and music equipment (amps/guitars) with ease.

You can also find me on NASIOC.com.
    It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll...

mtbr member
    Use to have an 04 wrx. Would like to pick up a forester xt in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXx_BoOsT
    02 WRX and 08 FSXT....
    pics of one of my money pits...

mtbr member
    cool...yeah i was simply looking at the huge American flag dangling from the side of his house and just made an assumption really. I really am none too sure, but thesedays is the culture of hanging flags still predominant in the suburbs at all>>>? BTW, that jeep you used to have, man I love those cars...VERY tough, pity you sold it though.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus901
    Assuming you mean me. Actually he seemed kind of hippie-like. He was always out playing his guitar on the sidewalk. We actually only lived in that house for a year (rental) & I never really talked to the neighbors much. The Jeep was mine (gone now, miss it but not the mpg) and the Sport Trac & Fiat were my roomates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    2004 WRX wagon. Love it. Has an OEM towbar for a T2 rack that I use.

Ive got an 04 WRX wagon in blue....love it.....well not now with gas being 2.15

user-created
    Just got a 2002 RS.

Graphic Designer
    I've got a 96 outback...was throwing the bikes in the back but got a rear rack. The top rack was too much on the MPG to make it worth it...

Master of None
    It gets the job done.

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbus901
    It's not my daily driver but here's my '85 Brat
    That's a nice Brat! So clean.

Graphic Designer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    cool...yeah i was simply looking at the huge American flag dangling from the side of his house and just made an assumption really. I really am none too sure, but thesedays is the culture of hanging flags still predominant in the suburbs at all>>>? BTW, that jeep you used to have, man I love those cars...VERY tough, pity you sold it though.
    Not too predominant but I am in the South, if it's not the stars & stripes it's the stars & bars

I do miss the Jeep but looking back I'm glad I got out of it while gas was still < $2 & it was still worth something.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    It gets the job done.
    Nice Ru! Is it a dual range with the center locker?

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Nice Ru! Is it a dual range with the center locker?
    Thanks! It is actually the 4EAT; I think it is the first year for it. It has an electronic locking center diff with a manual pushbutton override, and a LSD in the rear. One of my many pending projects is making a paddle shifter for it.

mtbr member
    If you have a Subaru Outback wth a Uhaul trailer hitch, you may find that your bike rack doesnt allow you to open the hatch without touching your bikes. Go to E-trailer.com they have a 6 and 10 inch hitch extention that is inexpensive and looks OEM...it works like a champ...basically it extends the rack out.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pcupach
    If you have a Subaru Outback wth a Uhaul trailer hitch, you may find that your bike rack doesnt allow you to open the hatch without touching your bikes. Go to E-trailer.com they have a 6 and 10 inch hitch extention that is inexpensive and looks OEM...it works like a champ...basically it extends the rack out.
    If you have T2 you can tilt the entire rack down to get into the rear, without having to extend it (which is bad for the approach-angle clearance). Those extentions are increasing the leverage on the entire system as well, so my advice would be to avoid them if at all possible. I realize some people will need and use them, but with the right rack is not an issue and there are some negatives with the extention.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

So is your face

2008 Outback

Here's my new bike hauler that I just got two weeks ago.

The rear 3/4 pose.
    IMG_0251.jpg

Mmmm, new car smell.
    IMG_0257sml.jpg

The front 3/4 pose.
    IMG_0253sml.jpg

It's environmental.
    IMG_0249sml.jpg

And, it's been Pushed.
    IMG_0248sml.jpg
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That is the same car minus the PZE I just got last week. Just put the first tank of gas today. 310 miles with 15 gallons = 20.67mpg

I wanted QSM, the wife wanted black, so I got the DGM, and went with the rear 5 windows tinted (20%) and sunroof to keep the sun off of my head.

The roof rack scares me cause I know that I will forget. If I angle the front tire back I can slip the whole bike into the back. A hitch rack will be a $500 investment, maybe this winter when the bike is sloppy.

Good Luck-

Rob

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    Here's my new bike hauler that I just got two weeks ago.

And, it's been Pushed.
    My Outback rear suspension is getting tired, now that I know Push can work on Subies...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I love Subarus. I hike, snowboard, and will hopefully be biking a lot soon (still looking for the right bike) so I'm driving a 96 Outback and I LOVE it. Probably going to swap the 2.5 engine for a 2.2 for better gas mileage and I found a place that sells rebuilt warrantied engines for about the same price it would cost me to rebuild mine. Could someone recommend a decent rack that will hold 2 bikes for it?
    Don't take life to seriously because you can't get out alive-Warren Miller
    Money can't buy life-Bob Marley

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sno_rocker
    I love Subarus. I hike, snowboard, and will hopefully be biking a lot soon (still looking for the right bike) so I'm driving a 96 Outback and I LOVE it. Probably going to swap the 2.5 engine for a 2.2 for better gas mileage and I found a place that sells rebuilt warrantied engines for about the same price it would cost me to rebuild mine. Could someone recommend a decent rack that will hold 2 bikes for it?
    Thule T2.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Thule T2.
    Thanks, I'll look into it.
    Don't take life to seriously because you can't get out alive-Warren Miller
    Money can't buy life-Bob Marley

I AM I AM
    Hey I'm a first time Subaru owner, previously my Husband was solely a Toyota Landcruiser Man, but we traded in our diesel 80 Series for something smaller & more economic considering petrol is now significantly cheaper than diesel here in Oz. He still has a Landcruiser Ute to keep him happy, and of course it's a good option for me to use for bike transport, hence I haven't brought a bike rack for the Subi already. I think it would be too high for my reach to use a roof type one, so I'm thinking something like the one that GripSport makes...
    Otherwise I suppose we'll look at getting a roo bar for the Subi (wouldn't want the kangaroos to smash it up) so hubby can drive it off to work at night (he has to drive 300k's to the airport & then fly out to his work site) and I'd keep the Ute at home . Only problem is the roo bars look real crap, like they don't belong on it, a nudge bar is probably the way to go, but really nothing more than a spotlight mount.

Anyway our 2008 Subaru Forester XS (Aussie model).

Mandatory Car & Bike Photo...

And of course I had to try it out for fit, I'm no clean freak by any standard, but I don't like the fact that with this transport method it would get dirty pretty quick (yeah I hate cleaning cars). Anyway still good to know it fits, well without the kids anyway!

It's our first brand new car. We did test drive the Impreza WRX which could be had for the same price. But my husband found it too cramped (steering wheel, and yes that was the limit of adjustment). Coming from a bit 4x4 wagon we figured the Forester was that bit more closer to what we're used to and more versatile, besides we'd never fit our dog in the back of the WRX comfortably once she's fully grown. Too me the WRX inside as a passenger felt like any other small car, the interior was nothing special and it just didn't have enough of the sporty car feel like it was meant to be, unlike the impressive outside, although the old models seemed more sporty.

I can't help thinking how much of a pretend fourby the Subi is though, like a toy 4x4. I tried out the low range today (compacting our driveway where I fixed some ruts) and honestly it didn't feel much different to normal first gear. But for what it's meant for, driving on bitumen / gravel roads, it certainly is a much nicer drive than the 80, which we never really used to it's full extent in regards to real 4x4 driving anyway, just a lot of touring & long distance driving.
    Last edited by ducktape; 06-19-2008 at 08:17 AM.

So is your face
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    That is the same car minus the PZE I just got last week. Just put the first tank of gas today. 310 miles with 15 gallons = 20.67mpg

I wanted QSM, the wife wanted black, so I got the DGM, and went with the rear 5 windows tinted (20%) and sunroof to keep the sun off of my head.

The roof rack scares me cause I know that I will forget. If I angle the front tire back I can slip the whole bike into the back. A hitch rack will be a $500 investment, maybe this winter when the bike is sloppy.

Good Luck-

Rob
    Funny, I considered a hitch rack but thought I would probably back into something with it. I was carrying my bike in the back of my SUV, and pretty much trashed the interior. I want to keep the new car's interior nice n' shiny. Plus, I have a child seat in back, so I can't really put down both seats to get my bike in there. The roof rack does make me a little more paranoid, but so far it's been easy and does a great job.

So is your face
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    My Outback rear suspension is getting tired, now that I know Push can work on Subies...

Just imagine the shipping costs.

So is your face
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape

Anyway our 2008 Subaru Forester XS (Aussie model).

Looks awesome, ducktape. I test drove a bunch of cars to replace my Saab 97x. The only car that I liked almost as equally as the Outback, was the new Forrester. Very comfortable, made well inside and out, and handled great, I thought.

Enjoy your new ride!

And kangaroos... Sheesh.

user-created
    I tried out the low range today (compacting our driveway where I fixed some ruts) and honestly it didn't feel much different to normal first gear.
    Geez, the US car market sucks. Subie hasn't offered us a dual-range for twenty years.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Geez, the US car market sucks. Subie hasn't offered us a dual-range for twenty years.
    The low & hi only comes on the manual models. But like I said didn't seem to be much difference. I guess the reduction gearing isn't really low enough, but it's a selling point I suppose as none of the competitors over here offer lo range (talking about Rav4, XTrail, CRV). Either way the car has awesome grip, it can certainly go around corners faster than our previous one! I'm too scared to even try & spin the wheels though because of all the tech gizmos it has working in the background (traction control etc).

Ha ha, coming from driving a diesel for the past 7 or so years I had to get used to not stalling it first!

I'll give bike racks a bit more thought. I suppose it will depend on weather we ultimately want a roof rack system anyway for traveling or weather we would travel with a trailer instead (like for the bigger camping trips). I guess with the right type of roof carrier it wouldn't be too hard to hold the bike up and secure it? We'd probably be looking at some sort of Rhino rack I suppose and they make a few bike carriers too.

mtbr member
    Definitely NICE car Ducky, as well as your "as usuall" cool collection of bikes - in this case the STP. I know the rack you were thinking of and we had a past model similar thing mainly for the missus and she loved it rather then opening the passenger side door, stepping on the side rail and just trying to lean over the roof (good for me though in terms of visual presentation on her part, he he he) to get the bikes or something else off. Now this one just springs down giving very easy access.

Your house/ areas looks great too...MAN I MISS Australia VERY much. J-Land does not offer the same CLEAN natural environment...here, our cement quota is triple that of America - if you can believe that, wow!

mtbr member
    Actually after re-reading my post...it does come off very, erm...how to say...? um....

Quote: Now this one just springs down giving very easy access. End Quote
    anyway.....Great car!!!!

I AM I AM
    Definitely NICE car Ducky, as well as your "as usuall" cool collection of bikes - in this case the STP. I know the rack you were thinking of and we had a past model similar thing mainly for the missus and she loved it rather then opening the passenger side door, stepping on the side rail and just trying to lean over the roof (good for me though in terms of visual presentation on her part, he he he) to get the bikes or something else off. Now this one just springs down giving very easy access.

Your house/ areas looks great too...MAN I MISS Australia VERY much. J-Land does not offer the same CLEAN natural environment...here, our cement quota is triple that of America - if you can believe that, wow!
    Yeah we have recently moved here to South West WA. And yes we're both extremely happy with the place we chose to "settle down". We're on 7ac about 15k's out of a small town but only 3hr drive to Perth (not that I have the desire to go there myself). It's so peaceful here, hence one reason we've downgraded (in size0 the 4x4 and selling our camper trailer. When you live in the bush you don't need to go camping to get away from anything. Only problem is that we don't have a house yet, well we're in a process of building but building is yet to start. So the shed you see is our humble (but very comfortable) abode for now. Lol I guess that means any trips we do go on we'll probably look forward to staying in a hotel with some creature comforts.

Anyway semi back on topic, the comment about hitting stuff really got to me, I can see myself reversing into a tree or something with the bike on the back Also unless I got some sort with a quick removal system (grips quick hitch) I reckon it would be a pain taking it off and on all the time too. So at the moment I'm thinking of a roof mounted style, the STP is not that heavy as far as bikes go so should be fine, I checked it out today & it doesn't seem like it would be too hard, providing I'm not trying to shuttle or something!

Probably go for Thule roof bars and one of their racks. Rhino don't seem to fit tires bigger than 5cm, I'm running 2.5's and I think they're around 6cm. I'll just have to convince Hubby to buy one of those roof luggage boxes if needed for travel instead of getting a trailer.
    Alternately if I change my mind and decide on the hitch mount, then I know Grip makes one very similar to the Thule T2 as well.

Typical male standing there letting your partner do the work just because you like to watch

mtbr member
    ha ha ha...yes, I like to watch her, he he he. But of course I help though..well...after the first 5 mins or so. J/K

Ah my mistake...the version I was talking about was a roof mounted style that has the hanger/ hinged style that comes down. Im trying to find a link to it now, but Im also at work. He he he, sneaking a peak at MTBR in my provisional time frame inbetween screens here.

When I find the link Ill post it up for you.

Myself like you, I am none too keen on the rear mounting system regardless of design, Id much prefere a roof mounted system.

Motion activated
    Yeah we have recently moved here to South West WA. And yes we're both extremely happy with the place we chose to "settle down". We're on 7ac about 15k's out of a small town but only 3hr drive to Perth
    Didn't think that looked like Townsville...

You're lucky to be able to live so far from it all. The wife and I might return to Australia one day when the US dollar is doing well... Housing prices have gotten out of control in QLD.

What are the trails like around your area?

BTW Nice Forester!
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Your right the T2 can be lowered to the down position and you can access the rear compartment...however if you have bikes loaded the access is blocked due to the bikes contacting the door as you open it...the approach angle issue is not an issue the hitch and subaru designed the system to handle more weight than a 29lb bike and a 75lb rack...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've got a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon manual (5 sp). I can put 4 bikes on top (2 are smaller kids bikes) & camping gear for a weekend getaway. Though I too am feeling a need for a stiffer shocks/springs in the back. We have 60k miles and I typically don't drive it during the week. Lots of long weekend trips.

Cheers,
    Mike

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Didn't think that looked like Townsville...

You're lucky to be able to live so far from it all. The wife and I might return to Australia one day when the US dollar is doing well... Housing prices have gotten out of control in QLD.

What are the trails like around your area?

BTW Nice Forester!
    Guess I haven't updated my profile

Nannup is great, it's good to be somewhere with some real tracks! In Townsville we weren't there long enough really (just over a year) and the DH track was just about to be completed when we left. Here apparently it's one of Sam Hills most favorite places to ride, he built some of the tracks. So yeah there is an awesome DH trail (bit beyond my ability at the moment, so something to work on).
    This is not me in the photo below (they had the state round here a few months ago)

And I haven't discovered many of the other tracks yet, I know there are some I just have to get out there and find them. There isn't a huge rider base so I guess they get overgrown, but the DH gets used most weekends, the guys from Margaret River tend to frequent it I think.

Watching this made me get a full face!

There is a long XC type one that goes to the local swimming spot and beyond, it's a good ride (Old Timberline Trail). The Munda Biddi seems pretty boring though, unless you're looking at the scenery.
    Further afield there would be some good ones around Margaret River, Dwellingup, Albany,even Perth I suppose all of which are no more than 3hrs drive. But for me I'll probably explore the local surrounds first.

mtbr member

'04 WRX Wagon

It's been a great car, no problems. Upgraded the tires and +0, rear sway bar to 20mm. I have 80K miles. Hauls bikes or anything else I need to carry. It's a blast to drive. Fuel mileage is good enough, I didn't buy an economy car.

Rock

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

My Almost-a-Sleeper WRX

No longer have it but working on my next "Sleeper Forester" project...

Motion activated
    Guess I haven't updated my profile

Nannup is great, it's good to be somewhere with some real tracks! In Townsville we weren't there long enough really (just over a year) and the DH track was just about to be completed when we left. Here apparently it's one of Sam Hills most favorite places to ride, he built some of the tracks. So yeah there is an awesome DH trail (bit beyond my ability at the moment, so something to work on).
    This is not me in the photo below (they had the state round here a few months ago)

And I haven't discovered many of the other tracks yet, I know there are some I just have to get out there and find them. There isn't a huge rider base so I guess they get overgrown, but the DH gets used most weekends, the guys from Margaret River tend to frequent it I think.
    Thanks for the Photos DT, that sure does look like some awesome riding. Wish we had the overgrown trail problem here, but Denver has experienced a lot of growth in the last 7 years and the trails are getting a wee bit too popular and the traffic is getting silly.

Back in the mid 90's when the wife and I would go riding back in Brisbane and Sydney, you would see maybe one or two other riders every few hours. Not to say one situation is better than, but seeing a bit of the Aussie bush has me missing the motherland

With seven acres you could build some tailor made singletrack or at least some sweet jumps.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    98 outback ltd. with ~400k mile ej22. It doesn't like deep snow at altitude. Getting moving uphill in 2 foot snow at 11k+ feet with an estimated 50 hp and 60 ft. lbs. at the wheels can be interesting, and is the reason it will be getting replaced by an old taco soon.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by aphleung
    My Almost-a-Sleeper WRX
    Dude, that's not a sleeper at all.

In fact, the letters W, R, and X have a replusive effect on the letter S, L, E, R and P. Although the stock rims might fool some high-skool kids.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here are both of my toys.
    One has a few more horse power than the other.
    Both just as much fun to ride!

" width="549">
    I wish I was fitter!!

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Thanks for the Photos DT, that sure does look like some awesome riding. Wish we had the overgrown trail problem here, but Denver has experienced a lot of growth in the last 7 years and the trails are getting a wee bit too popular and the traffic is getting silly.

Back in the mid 90's when the wife and I would go riding back in Brisbane and Sydney, you would see maybe one or two other riders every few hours. Not to say one situation is better than, but seeing a bit of the Aussie bush has me missing the motherland

With seven acres you could build some tailor made singletrack or at least some sweet jumps.
    Hey I think you'll probably find that Brizzy has got a few more trails and people riding these days. Well it's the impression I got by hanging around the mtbdirt forum for a few years.

I do plan to at least build some jumps. I'm still very gutless when it comes to jumping though so I'll have to start very small - at least now I can't use the bike as an excuse.
    There is a bit of bush behind us as well, so a long term goal is probably to build some tracks through there, and then hope it's not going to get logged or something.

mtbr member

Finally geard up for wet season...

subi got a new rack so did my motolite

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast