Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2781
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I have to go with 16" wheels, and the tires don't need to be quite so tall either.
    205/60R16 would be ~25.6" tall vs the stock 205/55R16 height of ~24.9". Quite a few snow tires to choose from in that size too. 205/65R16 would be ~26.5" tall (this would probably fit but it might rub on the spring perch on the rear strut). The 65 series would look cooler though

Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So, hitch mount it is for the FXT. Thanks for all the insight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I do! It's an old 1999 legacy brighton, does not attract attention, so leaving it by the road while I ride is no problem

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

My Subaru OB with my Blur on the 1Up rack in Colorado last summer...

The cars are 'drying' a bit after a creek crossing of off Gothic Road near (sorta) Crested Butte

Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist29er View Post
    I do! It's an old 1999 legacy brighton, does not attract attention, so leaving it by the road while I ride is no problem
    It's not so bad it's in danger of getting towed for abandonment is it?
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Im rocking an 03 wrx. She's a little beat up but she gets the job done

Muskoka
    and I'm still in an '02 WRX wagon. Love this car and just not seeing anything that I want to replace it with!
    If I wait long enough maybe Subie diesels will hit NA shores
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113125576961447749127

RSD Bikes The Mayor
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    and I'm still in an '02 WRX wagon. Love this car and just not seeing anything that I want to replace it with!
    Nice WRX!
    You may have to wait quite some time.. It doesn't look like Subaru is going to bring their diesel Outback anytime soon....They don't have an automatic tranny for it so 'Joe Average' can drive it too...

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Nice WRX!
    You may have to wait quite some time.. It doesn't look like Subaru is going to bring their diesel Outback anytime soon....They don't have an automatic tranny for it so 'Joe Average' can drive it too...
    No worries, I'm in no hurry..this 02 (actually new in fall of '01) drives as nice as when I got it

RSD Bikes The Mayor

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    No worries, I'm in no hurry..this 02 (actually new in fall of '01) drives as nice as when I got it
    Does it leak fuel on cold starts? Mine does terribly, it's the only thing pushing me to sell actually.

mtbr member
    NASIOC is your friend, don't sell yet.

Muskoka
    Does it leak fuel on cold starts? Mine does terribly, it's the only thing pushing me to sell actually.
    Mine did only during winter of '06-07. That was a very cold winter here. The problem was (as per NASIOC)a small fuel hose on top of the engine that was cut with no excess or slack in it. In very cold weather the hose would shrink and pull back from the nipple seat just enough to allow a small amount of fuel to escape which would then vapourize and some of those vapours would make their way into the cabin. Was not a big deal and only happened on really cold mornings; the following winter was milder and it wasn't a problem. Some time after that Subaru issued a recall and they (I think) replaced that hose with a longer one and I have never had a reocurrance.

RSD Bikes The Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got a used '09 wrx. Absolutely love it. Blast to drive. Probably won't be putting a bike rack on it, because I don't think it would go too well on it. But, it's still great.

mtbr member

Roof Rack for an Impreza OBS

Can anybody suggest a roof rack that can be mounted on 2011 Impreza OBS factory bars ?
    Since the factory bars are quite wide and flat, I am not sure if any rack would just bolt right on.

I <3 dirt
    My Thule trays fit my stock cross bars. Mine may be different being a GD chassis though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by orekizler View Post
    Can anybody suggest a roof rack that can be mounted on 2011 Impreza OBS factory bars ?
    Since the factory bars are quite wide and flat, I am not sure if any rack would just bolt right on.
    I opted for the Yakima because a close friend got me nice deal, but after seeing the Thule up close I would've gone that way, even though my cost would've nearly doubled, the Thule fastening system is a lot nicer and sturdier. JMO.

Thule*-*450 Crossroad Railing Foot Pack

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Mine did only during winter of '06-07. That was a very cold winter here. The problem was (as per NASIOC)a small fuel hose on top of the engine that was cut with no excess or slack in it. In very cold weather the hose would shrink and pull back from the nipple seat just enough to allow a small amount of fuel to escape which would then vapourize and some of those vapours would make their way into the cabin. Was not a big deal and only happened on really cold mornings; the following winter was milder and it wasn't a problem. Some time after that Subaru issued a recall and they (I think) replaced that hose with a longer one and I have never had a reocurrance.
    Yup. Except it wouldn't be fuel vapors, it would leak and form a puddle of fuel on the engine block. Mine is pretty bad, I can see a small squirt of fuel when it's really cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by softero View Post
    I got a used '09 wrx. Absolutely love it. Blast to drive. Probably won't be putting a bike rack on it, because I don't think it would go too well on it. But, it's still great.
    What's your build date? On the sticker in the driver's door jamb.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCat500 View Post
    I opted for the Yakima because a close friend got me nice deal, but after seeing the Thule up close I would've gone that way, even though my cost would've nearly doubled, the Thule fastening system is a lot nicer and sturdier. JMO.

Thule - 450 Crossroad Railing Foot Pack
    It sounds like he has factory cross bars....sooooo yea no foot packs needed.

Muskoka
    Yup. Except it wouldn't be fuel vapors, it would leak and form a puddle of fuel on the engine block. Mine is pretty bad, I can see a small squirt of fuel when it's really cold out.
    Contact a dealership, there was a recall for this and they should fix it at no cost to you.

RSD Bikes The Mayor

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Contact a dealership, there was a recall for this and they should fix it at no cost to you.
    I know all about it. Too many reports of people getting their cars back that have been hacked to hell and the dealership not owning up. I'll just sell the car over summer or take things apart and fix it myself if I decide not to sell. Having a 5sp in Denver traffic is terrible so I might look at an Outback.

mtbr member
    For those of you that have the newer Forester or Outback with the 2.5...just how lethargic is that car? Thinking one of these may be my next new car and, unfortunately, only the 2.5 comes with a manual transmission. Seems like that is a lot of car to be pulled around by that 2.5.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    2011 Subaru Outback. I finally ditched the factory rack for the Yakima Outback control towers and landing pads, just works better for the cargo box, kayaks, and an occasional bike on the rook. Our Thule T2 has converted me to a hitch rack guy, best rack I've used for bike.

Propr
    Hey guys...sorry for not reading thru the whole thread before asking this...

Are there any 2" (class3) trailer hitch's that work with 2002 wrx wagon?

Everything I'm seeing is class1 1-1/4.

I did see some 1-1/4 x 2 conversion/extensions that could work but just wonder how sturdy it would be...I want it solid with very little movement.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    I used to drive an 06 Subaru STI and hauled bikes perfectly fine on roof and with hitch. I can also tell you that was probably one of the most fun cars that I have ever owned. As far as performance, there wasn't really much that compared with my objectives. Granted, I was putting down over 400whp/400wtq and tried to remain as stealthy looking as you can in an sti.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball View Post

I did see some 1-1/4 x 2 conversion/extensions that could work but just wonder how sturdy it would be...I want it solid with very little movement.
    There's a reason why class 3 hitches don't usually exist for cars. First; they bolt to the trunk floor sheet metal and second the car isn't designed to pull more then 2,000lbs.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    There's a reason why class 3 hitches don't usually exist for cars. First; they bolt to the trunk floor sheet metal and second the car isn't designed to pull more then 2,000lbs.
    Yeah I realize about the class3 and towing I just need a 2" receiver for my T2. Maybe I'll have to do the adapter route.

How do the class1's attach,
    Last edited by Lowball; 03-03-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member

I love bugeyes!! I drive a Saabaru.

You might find an answer here btw, Towing/Hitch thread - NASIOC
    konahonzo

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I love bugeyes!! I drive a Saabaru.

You might find an answer here btw, Towing/Hitch thread - NASIOC
    Should have known. Just saw this thread for the 1st time so thought I'd try.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post

Your A/F ratio was 14:1 at 260wtq. Were you running meth injection too? e85?

Bandolero

Rubber Stamp Test

One solution I've seen is to get the 1-1/4 hitch then take it to a welder and have them cut off the 1-1/4 box and weld a 2" box to it. As long as you're only carrying bikes it won't be a problem.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob View Post
    One solution I've seen is to get the 1-1/4 hitch then take it to a welder and have them cut off the 1-1/4 box and weld a 2" box to it. As long as you're only carrying bikes it won't be a problem.
    Cool...yeah I saw that one guy did that over on the NASIOC thread.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Your A/F ratio was 14:1 at 260wtq. Were you running meth injection too? e85?
    93 Octane and did have access to 100 Octane. Upgraded turbo, injectors, etc... The turbo was from a company called Deadbolt (think they are out of business) and it was a SZ49 with upgraded bearings and wheel. Awesome turbo that was very driveable. Granted, alot of that had to do with the road and dyno tuning, which I had done by a good group out of Atlanta, GA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    04 Forester 2XT. Previously owned a Legacy Wagon and Legacy Outback. Bought a VW Passat wagon after the Outback and it died on me so went back to a Subaru.

I just bought a Thule roof rack for factory crossbars. I am hearing some noises from the roof when going over even small bumps in the road and it's making me nervous. The bars have a little flex when I move the bike from side to side, but the rack is securely on the bars and the weight of one bike should be below he max load. I am buying a trunk rack for my son's bike and will use that until I figure out the roof rack.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    93 Octane and did have access to 100 Octane. Upgraded turbo, injectors, etc... The turbo was from a company called Deadbolt (think they are out of business) and it was a SZ49 with upgraded bearings and wheel. Awesome turbo that was very driveable. Granted, alot of that had to do with the road and dyno tuning, which I had done by a good group out of Atlanta, GA.
    I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. Our cars like 12:1 A/F ratio or less under WOT. With a larger turbo AND 14:1 A/F ratio things should start to fail (ring lands, rods, pistons).

mtbr member
    I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. Our cars like 12:1 A/F ratio or less under WOT. With a larger turbo AND 14:1 A/F ratio things should start to fail (ring lands, rods, pistons).
    I bought it brand new and only kept it for 1 year, but it was fine while I owned it...

:EJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    New guy here, I drive a SF gen Forester. Bought it for a bike hauler but after the lift,skid plates, and a/t tires I've been enjoying a bit of motorized off road action as well. I'm also EJ on the subi boards.

Muskoka

I would have to move to Australia but..

the 2012 Subaru XV with the diesel & MT in black could tempt me to get out of my 02 WRX wagon
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mlxQchSx1Qo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RSD Bikes The Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    insideline did a review on the xv... was kinda negative

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    2000 legacy GT, bike fits in the trunk for now
    2009 Giant XTC Team Frame w/ Stump Jumper FSR XC Comp Components
    XC Eric

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Just bought a WRX 5Dr. today..I like it..
    Wife wants one for herself now as well..
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Nice bugeye wagon! LIke you I bought my 02 bugeye sedan new in the fall of 2001. Did the M2 VF23 big turbo stage 3 kit on that car. What a cool little car. I have been through 10 different cars since then and I just recently I bought a new 2011 WRX from the same dealer that sold me my 02 years ago. Low and behold sitting on their used lot was a pristine 03 WRX wagon in that limited sonic yellow color. Interior was in great shape. Man...that car brought back great memories. Those early cars were really no-nonsense fun cars to own and drive, and those early 2.0 liter engines were more durable than the 2.5 turbo engine with all of the ringland issues and CL/OL issues. I looked hard for a 5 door this time but could only locate a sedan. Unfortunately since I have a bad habit of driving into my garage with bike on roof (4 seperate incidents over the years), so my wife has banned me from putting a roof rack on my new car. Maybe a hitch set-up though.

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    Unfortunately since I have a bad habit of driving into my garage with bike on roof (4 seperate incidents over the years), so my wife has banned me from putting a roof rack on my new car. Maybe a hitch set-up though.
    Sorta funny in a sick way......... followed by I'm sure....
    Better than what my neighbor has done...just back up through a closed garage door...TWICE....

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    Nice bugeye wagon! LIke you I bought my 02 bugeye sedan new in the fall of 2001. Did the M2 VF23 big turbo stage 3 kit on that car. What a cool little car. I have been through 10 different cars since then and I just recently I bought a new 2011 WRX from the same dealer that sold me my 02 years ago. Low and behold sitting on their used lot was a pristine 03 WRX wagon in that limited sonic yellow color. Interior was in great shape. Man...that car brought back great memories. Those early cars were really no-nonsense fun cars to own and drive, and those early 2.0 liter engines were more durable than the 2.5 turbo engine with all of the ringland issues and CL/OL issues. I looked hard for a 5 door this time but could only locate a sedan. Unfortunately since I have a bad habit of driving into my garage with bike on roof (4 seperate incidents over the years), so my wife has banned me from putting a roof rack on my new car. Maybe a hitch set-up though.
    Thanks! This car is easily the favourite of anything I have owned in the past and I know I will miss it a lot once it's gone. As i've said, not really seeing anything I want to replace it with. The VW Jetta/Golf Sportwagen TDI is somewhat on my radar, I like a lot about it especially mileage including the great roof rails...they should all be like that!!
    nervous about VW reliability and upkeep cost. What I really want is Subaru to bring over their diesels...I won't buy another car requiring premium fuel and I love the combination of fuel economy & torque of diesel... ARE YOU LISTENING SUBARU?

ps: -other limiting factor is i like to row my own gears and a lot of what's on the market today is not available with MT, so right away those get scratched off my short list.

The XV in diesel and I would be SOLD
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fbTbgt9swlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 03-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.

RSD Bikes The Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I work at a Subaru dealer in the parts dept. and just picked up a 2008 Legacy 3.0R and absolutely love it. I found a Yakima roof rack setup on craigslist for a fairly good price, now I just need to get the bike on the roof and get riding!!!

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Stg 2 '07 Legacy Spec.B in january. i am really enjoying it so far, but I do miss the torque of my 6.0L GTO that I had before. That thing would throw you back so hard and it was bone stock. I just couldnt get by with 2 dr and no trunk.

I just bought a Yakima Whispbar System for it along with FatCat 6 Ski Rack. I am looking for a bike rack now.
    2015 Intense Carbine 29
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i drive a honda... its kind of close to a cube

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    THIS! I just put a Curt class III (needed the 2" hitch receiver for my 1up rack) on my 11 Forester. Holy Carp - I expected to be bolting this thing to some serious frame metal. Nope, I couldn't believe the flimsy **** this thing bolts to. It's definitely not a heavy duty setup. The only thing that's going on that hitch is my 1up. No towing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have @2011 Subaru Outback and 2008 Liberty sedan (legacy outside of Australia). Hard pressed to go other than Subaru in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Does a Saabaru count?

Just installed Impreza roof rails and bars with bike racks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else here drives a Subaru?-saab.jpg