• 07-11-2014
    bachman1961
    Just read a write up on the XV and it sounds okay for the base of $21k and up - as tested, 26k. Good mpg numbers if they hold out to be real.
    I'd consider it if in the market but hoping my Mazda and Infiniti get me way more down the road for a long time. The XV is the better looking Suber model IMO although the few years ago Foresters looked pretty nice, maybe 07's.
  • 07-12-2014
    ou2mame
    Re: Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Seriously? Do you realize how ridiculous this is?

    No not really.. Lol I've had the car a while, took about an hour all together not too bad

    Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
  • 07-12-2014
    Kevin_Federline
    Re: Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    You didn't want to chance it with a Subaru so you went with an Audi? Thanks for the laugh, LOL.

    Haha that's my exact sentiment. Lololol
  • 07-13-2014
    Ilikemtb999
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Seriously? Do you realize how ridiculous this is?

    :lol: right?

    Subaru alternator is 3 bolts and is on the top.

    The timing belts are incredibly easy as well. Pull 2 bolts, 2 wiring harnesses and 2 hoses to remove radiator (you can pull the fans instead but the rad assembly is quicker) and you've got plenty of room to do what you need to do.
  • 07-13-2014
    ou2mame
    To do mine I just have remove the bumper.. 2 bolts, the rad support, 4 Screws, the serp belt, and some plastic. Not exactly hard for anyone competent with a ratchet.

    Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
  • 07-14-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    The front end is only a few bolts actually and you don't have to drain the coolant. I've done it to change my thermostat takes about 20 minutes. My alternator was easier to access with the front wheel off through the wheel well. Was only the one bolt I think. It's not bad if you know the car.

    Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

    That's not even possible to remove the front end without draining the coolant. The hoses run into the engine block to cool it.

    Alternator takes one bolt?? That's not true either, most take 2-bolts. 1 bolt wouldn't be very reliable for keeping tension with such a tight belt on the pulley.

    I worked on my friends Audi A4 2.0T and several jettas. I've had plenty of "WTF, who designed this POS" moments with those cars. The germans definitely never heard of the "K.I.S.S" philosophy. Subaru's are definitely easier to work on. With my friends other cars, any part stamped with "made in germany" carried a high price tag.

    The reason why subaru parts are so cheap is because they've been using the same engine for 20+ years, and the basic layout has changed little since the 90's.
  • 07-14-2014
    ou2mame
    Ok maybe 2 bolts it was 4 years ago. And yes, you can remove the front end it swings out. The upper hose may leak a little but pointed up you don't have to remove the coolant just run it with the cap off the reservoir for a few minutes to get the air out. I just did this to change some oil lines a few months ago.

    Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
  • 07-14-2014
    Superorb
    If you get an Audi that works you're golden. But plenty of them have electrical gremlins. I constantly see German cars in general with wonky tail lights that don't work, or that only work when you hit the brake and the reverse lights come on, or something else. I've had a few friends with turbo Audis and VWs and all of them spend their time working on the cars cursing because they were designed without any sort of common sense. Subarus are orders of magnitude easier to work on compared to an Audi. And if you need a part you'd better take out that 2nd mortgage on the house. They're also ridiculously expensive for what you get. A 25k WRX can run circles around a 40k Audi, and a 25k WRX with $15k in mods can run circles around just about any stock production car out there.
  • 09-15-2014
    eurospek
    Time to start looking for a replacement. :(

  • 09-15-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Time to start looking for a replacement. :(


    Good luck finding another Saabaru.
  • 10-08-2014
    bradkay
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Here is my trusty '91 Loyale on a trip to the Sierra a couple of years ago. The old girl still gives me 30+mpg on trips, even after 320,000 miles.

    Well, the Loyale is being retired to local trips. My mechanic just rebuilt the engine on a '97 Outback with 227k on it and sold it to me for $3500 (he also rebuilt the clutch). I'll post pics within a few weeks.

    I'll be driving it to Mendocino and Jackson Forest in about ten days.
  • 10-08-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Well, the Loyale is being retired to local trips. My mechanic just rebuilt the engine on a '97 Outback with 227k on it and sold it to me for $3500 (he also rebuilt the clutch). I'll post pics within a few weeks.

    Not bad, when it's time for my impreza to get a new engine, i'm just going to pull it out and buy a fully rebuilt short block, slap the heads on and keep on truckin.
  • 10-08-2014
    bradkay
    That's a good option for the Impreza. I wanted to rebuild the engine on the Loyale but was talked out of it. Eddie (my mechanic and local Subie wizard) tells me that every one of the old 1.8l engines (in GLs and Loyales) he has opened up in recent years has had a cracked head. It's okay to replace the head gasket and use locally, but it isn't something I want to trust on long trips. Thus the Outback...
  • 11-02-2014
    bradkay
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 936113Here's the Outback I am now using for my bike hauling and camping out.
  • 11-02-2014
    Quentin
    Who else here drives a Subaru?


    My Subaru has a Scion badge.


    Sent from Tandy 400
  • 11-02-2014
    SS Hack
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Quentin View Post


    My Subaru has a Scion badge.


    Sent from Tandy 400

    Any mods? These can scream from what I've heard.
  • 11-03-2014
    Quentin
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Any mods? These can scream from what I've heard.

    TRD exhaust, sways, air filter. Also a set of light weight wheels with sticky rubber. It isn't a super fast car in a straight line, but the handling is simply brilliant and the chassis/steering is one of the best you can buy for under $40k.


    Sent from Tandy 400
  • 11-03-2014
    ou2mame
    I really like the look of the brz, but rwd in long Island wouldn't be possible.
  • 11-10-2014
    trickten
    1 Attachment(s)
    I'm a new Subaru owner. I came from an 05' Colorado that made 15.63 mpg to a 2010 Forester at 24mpg. It's quick, agile, has a killer turning radius, and can lock my bike inside if need be. I can't wait to play around in the snow.Attachment 938108
  • 11-10-2014
    otis24
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I really like the look of the brz, but rwd in long Island wouldn't be possible.

    That's why you have a daily driver and that BRZ for when it's nice out.
  • 11-10-2014
    Quentin
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    That's why you have a daily driver and that BRZ for when it's nice out.

    I'll attempt to daily the FR-S. We have an AWD Rav4 for the family hauler/winter car if I can't get out of the driveway. My wife's MINI does surprisingly good in the snow, too.


    Sent from Tandy 400
  • 11-10-2014
    SS Hack
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I'll attempt to daily the FR-S. We have an AWD Rav4 for the family hauler/winter car if I can't get out of the driveway. My wife's MINI does surprisingly good in the snow, too.


    Sent from Tandy 400

    Front wheel drive just like the Rav4 works pretty well most of the time.
  • 11-10-2014
    Quentin
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    I assume that is some dig at the Rav being FWD biased. It has a transfer lock button to split the torque 50:50 front:rear that definitely gives it a leg up over most other FWD biased systems. Most of the newer systems are a little more aggressive in sending power to the back these days, too. I've owned 2 Imprezas, a 4Runner, and now the Rav as winter vehicles. All are capable of you drive cautious and keep good rubber on them.


    Sent from Tandy 400
  • 11-10-2014
    Ilikemtb999
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Rwd plus dedicated snow/winter tires works just fine for winter. Don't be that person
  • 11-11-2014
    Jayem
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    That's why you have a daily driver and that BRZ for when it's nice out.

    Seriously? I drive a camaro in Alaska. Sure, some days it doesn't really work, but I do drive it in the winter sometimes too, and the people that say "tires don't work below __ degrees" are full of ****. They may not be quite as grippy, but if you aren't a hack it's just fine. Having a clutch to feather helps a lot too in such conditions.

    Long Island? Not sure if serious...
  • 11-11-2014
    SS Hack
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Seriously? I drive a camaro in Alaska. Sure, some days it doesn't really work, but I do drive it in the winter sometimes too, and the people that say "tires don't work below __ degrees" are full of ****. They may not be quite as grippy, but if you aren't a hack it's just fine. Having a clutch to feather helps a lot too in such conditions.

    Long Island? Not sure if serious...

    Don't they salt the roads too? Cars last like 2 weeks there.
  • 11-11-2014
    Jayem
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Don't they salt the roads too? Cars last like 2 weeks there.

    No, lots of places in the US used to salt roads though, so there are a lot of cars rusting away. Ice stays on the road in AK for months on end, tears the hell out of the roads.
  • 11-11-2014
    chaffdb
    I'm really late to this thread, but 2005 Legacy GT here. 5 speed car with up and down pipe, Cobb Stage 2, sway bars, short throw shifter, trans bushings, etc. Added a trailer hitch just recently for a 1up USA rack which I can't say enough good about. Really impressive design bike rack.

    The Subaru is going in the shop for a leaking had gasket, a whistle that I am hoping is not a bad turbo, and a quote to replace struts.
  • 11-11-2014
    ou2mame
    I'm not talking about going to work only, I also snowboard so id need something to drive in the mountains. I don't really want to own two depreciating assets, seems like a waste. We are looking up move to colorado, so owning two cars now makes even less sense. When I lived in Florida owning a brz would be nice though. But for now I'll stick to quattro.

    And don't worry about the head gasket all Subarus blow head gaskets lol
  • 11-12-2014
    Rev Bubba
    Update after 6 1/2 more years on my Outback. My last post was 4/08.
    115k and still enjoying the car.

    The car is driven extensively in snow and winter conditions in the northeast and that was the reason I went with Subaru in the first place.

    The 6 cylinder now gets over 26 mpg highway so I suppose it is broken in. ;)

    Mechanical issues?
    - Electronic accelerator module had to be replaced around 90k
    - Replaced rear shocks also around 90k
    - Alternator replaced around 98k
    - Fan belt pulleys replaced at 114k when they failed but I was able to drive to the dealer on the power left in the battery without power steering.
    - Leather in the left side rear of the drivers seat has worn through. Again, somewhere around 90k

    NO head gasket issues on the 6 cylinder engine.

    That's about it. Overall, I have no major issues with the car and plan to buy a replacement Outback in 2016 when I will have about 130k. I've driven the 2015 model in 4 cylinder and think it is a major advance over my 2006 6 cylinder.
  • 11-12-2014
    Superorb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    And don't worry about the head gasket all Subarus blow head gaskets lol

    They most certainly do not. Only the ones with the SOHC 2.5L motor had head gasket issues. That motor was in a lot of cars, but none of the turbo motors had head gasket problems.
  • 11-12-2014
    Ilikemtb999
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    They most certainly do not. Only the ones with the SOHC 2.5L motor had head gasket issues. That motor was in a lot of cars, but none of the turbo motors had head gasket problems.

    The person above said his GT has a leaking head gasket......
  • 11-12-2014
    Superorb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    The person above said his GT has a leaking head gasket......

    It's pretty common for shops to say the head gaskets are leaking since it's a known problem on the non-turbo cars. I've see quite a few cars where shops diagnosed leaking head gaskets and thousands in repairs only to find out the head gaskets were fine once I looked at them. Not that the other guy is wrong, but it does happen.

    Of course any car can have any problem with it, but the leaking HG issue was a known issue on the non-turbo motors, not "all" Subarus.
  • 11-12-2014
    gsa103
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chaffdb View Post
    I'm really late to this thread, but 2005 Legacy GT here. 5 speed car with up and down pipe, Cobb Stage 2, sway bars, short throw shifter, trans bushings, etc. Added a trailer hitch just recently for a 1up USA rack which I can't say enough good about. Really impressive design bike rack.

    The Subaru is going in the shop for a leaking had gasket, a whistle that I am hoping is not a bad turbo, and a quote to replace struts.

    If the turbo is bad, make sure they check/replace the banjo bolts. Based on the car, I'm guessing you're on legacygt.com, if not get over there now.

    RE: Headgasket issues.
    His car is modded to run higher boost levels, and likely sees more aggressive driving. HG failure in a 9-10 year modded car, doesn't indicate a design flaw.
  • 11-12-2014
    Flyin_W

    (1970 Subaru "Ladybug")

    To add to what was said above. Head gaskets have been an issue with all* NA 2.5L Subaru's.

    Got Subie #3 this summer, and learned that if owning a pre 2010 Subaru, a way to save yourself some big headaches, and $$$..
    Insist on 6-Star head gaskets. Apparently, the OEM gaskets are the root cause of the problem. *05-09 turbo's are the exception.
  • 11-13-2014
    SS Hack
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    My 02 with 190k still has no head gasket issue. Apparently some are trouble free.
  • 11-13-2014
    kragu
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    My 02 with 190k still has no head gasket issue. Apparently some are trouble free.

    Same here. 03 with 199099 (noticed as I pulled into my driveway this evening).
  • 11-13-2014
    ou2mame
    My friend had 3 outback from 97-03 and all of them blew head gaskets, and my dad had 2 within those years and the one he bought with a bad head gasket and the other blew as well. Those are the only Subarus I have personally known somebody to own, so my opinion is "all" cause thats all I've seen lol

    I know my friends 03, his grandmother owned it and the head gasket went at like 50k. My dad's 2nd one went before 90k. It's funny, the one with the least milage and most care and least abuse went so quickly. I really like Subarus, their awd and affordable prices, but honestly after seeing these cars have such catastrophic failures at such low miles I'll never buy one.
  • 11-14-2014
    Superorb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    My friend had 3 outback from 97-03 and all of them blew head gaskets, and my dad had 2 within those years and the one he bought with a bad head gasket and the other blew as well. Those are the only Subarus I have personally known somebody to own, so my opinion is "all" cause thats all I've seen lol

    I know my friends 03, his grandmother owned it and the head gasket went at like 50k. My dad's 2nd one went before 90k. It's funny, the one with the least milage and most care and least abuse went so quickly. I really like Subarus, their awd and affordable prices, but honestly after seeing these cars have such catastrophic failures at such low miles I'll never buy one.

    All the same model years, and the same model cars. So of course if the 97-03 Outbacks were prone to HG failure there would be a good chance they'd fail on your cars. You guys just had bad luck since you owned only the cars that were prone to failure.

    Though, plenty of other years and models had the SOHC non-turbo 2.5L motor that was prone to HG failure. When we were looking for an Outback or Forester for my wife almost all the cars advertised on Craigslist had leaking HGs. And the owners swore up and down that they were fine until I showed them the leaks with the flashlight I always brought along.
  • 11-14-2014
    ou2mame
    I owned an svx for a long time and never had a problem with it, and would probably buy another one if it was a good deal. But I wouldn't buy anything from them with a 2.5. My mechanic was telling me how the leaks went from internal exhaust mixing in the coolant and over pressurized the radiator in the years of my father's outbacks, to external leaks that you can actually see. Only time will tell if they cleared it up, but he said he's seen a few 09s and 10s already go bad so it's looking like maybe not. I can't believe they haven't thrown this engine out.
  • 11-14-2014
    Superorb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I owned an svx for a long time and never had a problem with it, and would probably buy another one if it was a good deal. But I wouldn't buy anything from them with a 2.5. My mechanic was telling me how the leaks went from internal exhaust mixing in the coolant and over pressurized the radiator in the years of my father's outbacks, to external leaks that you can actually see. Only time will tell if they cleared it up, but he said he's seen a few 09s and 10s already go bad so it's looking like maybe not. I can't believe they haven't thrown this engine out.

    The 2.5 has been replaced by the 2.0DI in a lot of their cars, and it is being phased out across the board. As well it should be, the design is 20-30 years old now.
  • 11-14-2014
    ou2mame
    My friend was shopping for a Forrester recently and said the sales person said that the 2.5 is a new design. It's obviously bs. He is the one with the outbacks, he bought an s4 but is getting married now so he wants to lessen his car payments. They really should dump that motor though.
  • 11-14-2014
    Chader09
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    My friend was shopping for a Forrester recently and said the sales person said that the 2.5 is a new design. It's obviously bs. He is the one with the outbacks, he bought an s4 but is getting married now so he wants to lessen his car payments. They really should dump that motor though.

    Actually, it's not BS. The 2011 MY Forester and 2013 MY Outback got a revised version of the 2.5. It is a different block ID (I can't remember the exact one), but it included a change from a bottom mounted oil filter to a top mounted one as an easy indicator between the two.

    I honestly don't know exactly what is different between the two versions, but the current 2.5 is not "exactly" the the old one.

    There were some early oil consumption and fuel mileage issues in the first Foresters. But they got most of that worked out the first year and the new engines seem to be performing well in the Foz and OB.
  • 11-14-2014
    mtbxplorer
    If you have one of these, you may have a recalled airbag that can blind or stab you....

    2003, 2004, and 2005 model year Legacy

    2003, 2004, and 2005 model year Outback

    2003, 2004, and 2005 model year Baja

    2004 and 2005 model year Impreza (including WRX and STI)

    To check, enter your VIN here Subaru Vehicle Recalls | Learn More About Recall Concerns
    My '05 was OK, apparently not all were bad.
  • 11-14-2014
    Chader09
    I found a bit of info:

    "new 2.5L engine: improved economy +1mpg, and slightly more power. The new 2.5L engine was first used in the 2011 Forester. It's a DOHC (double overhead cam) with a little more power- 173hp vs170hp and 174lb-ft of torque vs 170lb-ft at 4100rpm, and a timing chain with no scheduled replacement instead of a timing belt with a 105,000 mile replacement. Fuel economy with the 2.5L and CVT is up 1 MPG to 24/30/26 city/highway/combined."

    From:
    Subaru 2013 Outback research webpage- specs, options, colors, photos, and more
  • 11-14-2014
    JChasse
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just stumbled across this thread. We are a household without a Subaru for the first time since buying one of the first WRXs sold in the Northeast US. I just sold it to a local guy who was so stoked, I'm sure it's gone to a good home. Great, indestructible car.

    Attachment 939055
  • 11-14-2014
    SS Hack
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    The 2.5 is revised, but all these are closely related and just updates. Pretty much all burn a bit of oil since they run hot and are now using expensive and super thin oil.
  • 11-16-2014
    Quentin
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    The FB25 was essentially a clean sheet design from the EJ25. Bore and stroke are different, valve train is different, etc.

    http://drive2.subaru.com/Win11/itsWhatMakes.htm


    Sent from Tandy 400
  • 11-16-2014
    Flyin_W
    Re: Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Thanks for this ^.

    If you own a pre 2010 with an EJ25 that needs head gaskets... Insist on 6 Star gaskets. They're the same price, yet solve the problem that the OEM's created.

    And despite what others say about their car going 250k without issues, if you plan to keep the car. (and who doesn't if spending $1400 + to fix) Yes it's really that important.
  • 11-16-2014
    TampaFire_DE
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    New to the forum!
  • 11-24-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    My friend was shopping for a Forrester recently and said the sales person said that the 2.5 is a new design. It's obviously bs. He is the one with the outbacks, he bought an s4 but is getting married now so he wants to lessen his car payments. They really should dump that motor though.

    They changed to a completely new engine design in 2011. FB25 engine designation instead of EJ25. Major changes are a timing chain instead of belt, longer stroke for better low end torque which equates to better fuel economy. Lighter pistons and lower friction internals again for more fuel economy.

    Here's the link: The All-New Subaru FB Engine
  • 11-24-2014
    ou2mame
    Yeah but does that help the head gasket issues? Besides their notorious issues with head gaskets I would buy one. But I can't buy a car that's iffy at 75k miles.
  • 11-24-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Yeah but does that help the head gasket issues? Besides their notorious issues with head gaskets I would buy one. But I can't buy a car that's iffy at 75k miles.

    I think the issues with head gaskets for 97-2004 were warranted, but on newer subaru's it's blown out of proportion. I have a 2008 with 150k miles on it, my head gaskets are just fine. No mixing of coolant and oil, no odd smells in coolant. They are just fine.

    The new FB engine still flows some coolant through the block to the head, but there are now external ports which coolant flows to the head as well, without going through the block. Everything in physics takes the path of least resistance, so this should help alleviate the problem somewhat.

    The new FB engines are all DOHC, which increases surface area significantly, and were designed to be DOHC from the start, as well as have 2.5L of displacement from the start. The reason why the 98-2004 EJ25's were so bad was because it was a bored out EJ20. It was also SOHC, so they gave up alot of surface area in the head gasket to gain more displacement. Due to the lack of head gasket surface area, the chances of issues was exacerbated significantly. Also, they solved a grounding issue by adding more ground straps to the engines to help keep electrons from flowing where they didn't need to, and corroding the head gaskets.

    I think replacing a head gasket after 150k miles is inevitable for any brand, make or model. It's a waiting game when you reach that kind of mileage. My subaru has help up great so far.
  • 11-24-2014
    ou2mame
    Subaru definitely didn't warranty head gaskets past their original warranty, when you call them they have an exact price to give you. I don't know what they changed but my mechanic said he's seen more than a few later model Subarus with head gasket issues the only difference was that the leaks were more external after 04, so at least the exhaust wasn't over pressurizing the coolant system. I don't know how many changes they made to this block this time around, only time will tell. At 150k I'm ok with, but 75k is crazy. Their recall on i believe 02 and up was real steel, which is a horrible idea. You basically do more damage but prolong the inevitable.
  • 11-24-2014
    PlutonicPlague
    Da-a-a-ng!!!! I have about 102,500 on my '04 Forester, and no head gasket problems so far (until reading this thread:-).
    That's ok, because I am going to abandon "superior road performance" and trade it in for a mini-van. Maybe a late model Honda Element AWD 5-spd manual, if I can find a good one with a 5-digit odometer reading.
  • 11-24-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Subaru definitely didn't warranty head gaskets past their original warranty, when you call them they have an exact price to give you. I don't know what they changed but my mechanic said he's seen more than a few later model Subarus with head gasket issues the only difference was that the leaks were more external after 04, so at least the exhaust wasn't over pressurizing the coolant system. I don't know how many changes they made to this block this time around, only time will tell. At 150k I'm ok with, but 75k is crazy. Their recall on i believe 02 and up was real steel, which is a horrible idea. You basically do more damage but prolong the inevitable.

    Sorry, my poor choice of words here. I wasn't referring to "warranted" as warranty, i meant warranted as "justified". And Issues should have probably "stigma" or "complaints". The head gasket failures unfortunately for most people happened well beyond even an extended warranty period, with some below 100k miles.

    However, we had a 98 forester whose head gaskets were fine, even at 175k miles.
  • 11-24-2014
    ou2mame
    Ohhh warranted.. Well, I don't know if it's ever warranted or justified at such low miles, which is the problrm with these cars. It's one thing for it to need replacing at 150k, but like I said, I've seen them go at 75k and less, and my mechanic has seen plenty more. I've read statistics of 2-3% of their gaskets fail, but that's only dealer repairs. So, it's a very misrepresented number. It's much much higher than that. You're lucky it didn't happen to yours, but that's not evidence that there's no design flaw. Going forward, we'll see if this next batch of 2.5's have issues in 5 or so years.
  • 11-24-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Ohhh warranted.. Well, I don't know if it's ever warranted or justified at such low miles, which is the problrm with these cars. It's one thing for it to need replacing at 150k, but like I said, I've seen them go at 75k and less, and my mechanic has seen plenty more. I've read statistics of 2-3% of their gaskets fail, but that's only dealer repairs. So, it's a very misrepresented number. It's much much higher than that. You're lucky it didn't happen to yours, but that's not evidence that there's no design flaw. Going forward, we'll see if this next batch of 2.5's have issues in 5 or so years.

    Warranted in that the complaint has merit, the issues people have with buying that generation are justified. The issues with that generation are well documented. I didn't say that people having problems below 75k are justified.

    Personally i've seen people with other makes with large repair bills, no company has a bulletproof car. My friend has a 2008 honda accord coupe, he's been through 2 transmissions already. He got rid of the car after the 2nd transmission failure, luckily since it died the first time just before the warranty ran out, he was able to get it fixed both times for free. Third time was on him, so he sold the car. It also ate brakes like nobodies business. Honda is supposed to be the king of reliability. In order to cover up this mess, they issued a transmission programming recall which neuters the shifting to help save the transmission from damage, probably give less lockup to the torque converter.

    Dad's 2006 nissan xterra blew a transmission because of the integrated transmission/engine cooler. The engine coolant made its way into the transmission part of the radiator and leaked coolant into the transmission. Luckily my best friends works at the nissan dealership where he bought the car, he was able to get it replaced for free, even though the extended recall warranty called for him to pay i think $2500 towards the bill.

    I had a ford focus which i drove through college, head gasket died at 162k miles, but everything seemed to be falling apart around 130k miles. All new struts, wheel bearings, various electronic relay modules, etc....

    My coworker has a 2007 toyota camry, the piston rings are shot at 120k miles. We're both engineers and typically anal about maintenance, and he swears he changed the oil on time every time. But he has to put a full quart of oil every 2-3 fuel fillups. He said he's just going to run it till it dies, but the oil consumption is quite excessive.
  • 11-24-2014
    ou2mame
    My friend had a 2012 s4 that eats oil like crazy. Audi says that 2 quarts every 5k is acceptable. I'm not saying that there aren't other cars with issues, but very few have as many documented failures at such a low mileage and year, as the Subaru head gaskets. Maybe the late 90s and early 2000s Dodge Rams eating transmissions, or explorers from that era for that matter.. Or the audi 1.8t sludge.. But these problems can be mitigated by extra maintenance. The head gaskets are random and there's nothing you can do to prevent it besides selling it.
  • 11-25-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    My friend had a 2012 s4 that eats oil like crazy. Audi says that 2 quarts every 5k is acceptable. I'm not saying that there aren't other cars with issues, but very few have as many documented failures at such a low mileage and year, as the Subaru head gaskets. Maybe the late 90s and early 2000s Dodge Rams eating transmissions, or explorers from that era for that matter.. Or the audi 1.8t sludge.. But these problems can be mitigated by extra maintenance. The head gaskets are random and there's nothing you can do to prevent it besides selling it.

    Yes, like i said, the issues with the late 90's, early 2000's head gaskets were well documented, and people's concerns for that generation are justified. But from about 2006+, i think any head gasket failures are blown out of proportion. Yes, there will be some, but i think whenever a subaru head gasket fails, they just tack it onto the failure of the previous generation. Also, since subaru's are horizontal, when a head gasket leaks oil to the outside, it will fall on the ground. It's more readily apparent, but other cars will have this same problem, but not leak oil onto the ground. The only headgasket failure that matters, is the one where your coolant and oil mix.

    If you google honda, toyota, GM, etc... You'll see head gasket failures for people with less than 75k miles.
  • 11-26-2014
    Flyin_W
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    Yes, like I said.....But from about 2006+, i think any head gasket failures are blown out of proportion...

    Not so, the EJ25 is notorious. My '07 was leaking both internally and externally @ 78k miles. Read a Subaru forum for confirmation.Attachment 942063
  • 11-26-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Not so, the EJ25 is notorious. My '07 was leaking both internally and externally @ 78k miles. Read a Subaru forum for confirmation.Attachment 942063


    The problem is, i can go on any forum, like toyotanation.com and type in head gasket. Many failures will pop up, some under 100k miles. I'm also on nasioc, and and head gasket failures aren't anywhere near as frequent as they used to be.
  • 11-26-2014
    bradkay
    The newer head gasket material has improved the situation greatly. It also takes having the gaskets replaced correctly, which means having the engine pulled rather than having them replaced with the engine still in its mounts (which is what most Subaru dealers did for the warranty replacements). There are other steps you can take to prevent the issue from cropping up. Go online and search for a website "Subaru head gaskets explained" for better information. I am on my third Subaru - the first one (1980 GL) had 250,000 miles on it, my '91 Loyale has 325,000 miles on it and my '97 Outback (with the much maligned 2.5l engine) has 229,000 miles on it.
  • 12-07-2014
    Canadmos
    Got a Subaru a over a month ago. Anyone have experience with an Impreza, with aftermarket exhaust and a hitch rack? Do you need longer exhaust hangers?





    Have my eyes set on a Kuat NV.
  • 12-08-2014
    OscarW
    Nice Impreza! Check out Etrailer.com for more hitch info. Due to the fact that there is a 200# weight limited on the hitch you may want to consider a lighter bikerack like the 1UpUSA rack. I have an Outback and have the lighter rack too. There was no need for different exhaust hangers on my car and I doubt yours will need them too.
  • 12-08-2014
    Zoo1424
    Just traded in my Element for a 2015 Forester. Quite luxurious compared to my Element but for the most part I like it. I just wish I had realized the hatch was a one piece. My Hollywood rack, when folded up means I can't open the hatch. With the Element I could open the top part of the hatch. Oh well.
  • 12-08-2014
    Chader09
  • 12-09-2014
    Superorb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    Just traded in my Element for a 2015 Forester. Quite luxurious compared to my Element but for the most part I like it. I just wish I had realized the hatch was a one piece. My Hollywood rack, when folded up means I can't open the hatch. With the Element I could open the top part of the hatch. Oh well.

    Next time open the rear before you buy the car ;)
  • 12-09-2014
    Jem7sk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Got a Subaru a over a month ago. Anyone have experience with an Impreza, with aftermarket exhaust and a hitch rack? Do you need longer exhaust hangers?





    Have my eyes set on a Kuat NV.

    I have a 2014 Impreza. I went to Amazon where I have a prime membership and bought a nice hitch rack. I installed it myself. Works great with my Yakima Hold Up bike rack. No modifications except I had to ream out two of the mounting holes for the hitch. I was able to do it with a dremel in no time.

    Attachment 945358
  • 12-09-2014
    Andrew8404
    It's all about the Torklift Eco hitch with 1up USA rack. Perfect combo for a hatchback.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
  • 12-09-2014
    richde
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    Quite luxurious compared to ...

    This is a phrase you don't hear too often when talking about Subarus.
  • 12-09-2014
    pinkrobe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Got a Subaru a over a month ago. Anyone have experience with an Impreza, with aftermarket exhaust and a hitch rack? Do you need longer exhaust hangers?

    Have my eyes set on a Kuat NV.

    If the exhaust is good quality [i.e. no funky bends or huge mufflers], it should fit fine. Most mufflers and resonators for aftermarket are smaller than OEM. Now, that rear diffuser might be an issue. It might have to be notched in the middle to allow the receiver through.

    The Kuat NV works well on the current WRX + STI. If you go with the NV Core, I suggest you also buy the Lower End Shank - Ball Cam, which is a standard piece on the regular NV. The Core just has a bolt, which comes a bit loose and will eventually strip out, leaving you with a wobbly rack that can't be easily removed [AMHIK].
  • 12-09-2014
    Canadmos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    If the exhaust is good quality [i.e. no funky bends or huge mufflers], it should fit fine. Most mufflers and resonators for aftermarket are smaller than OEM. Now, that rear diffuser might be an issue. It might have to be notched in the middle to allow the receiver through.

    The Kuat NV works well on the current WRX + STI. If you go with the NV Core, I suggest you also buy the Lower End Shank - Ball Cam, which is a standard piece on the regular NV. The Core just has a bolt, which comes a bit loose and will eventually strip out, leaving you with a wobbly rack that can't be easily removed [AMHIK].

    Good points. Just got quoted two months out for the exhaust, so lots of time to think about it haha. I was definitely looking at the NV. Do they even sell the Core now? I looked at their site the other day and didn't see it.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    It's all about the Torklift Eco hitch with 1up USA rack. Perfect combo for a hatchback.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

    As much as I want a 2" hitch, that Torklift one would be more than double what a regular hitch would be up here. Over $200 for the hitch, another $80 for shipping and then taxes probably. Wonder if I could get a normal one custom welded with a 2" piece?

    MTBR sure does love their One Up racks..
  • 12-09-2014
    Andrew8404
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Good points. Just got quoted two months out for the exhaust, so lots of time to think about it haha. I was definitely looking at the NV. Do they even sell the Core now? I looked at their site the other day and didn't see it.




    As much as I want a 2" hitch, that Torklift one would be more than double what a regular hitch would be up here. Over $200 for the hitch, another $80 for shipping and then taxes probably. Wonder if I could get a normal one custom welded with a 2" piece?

    MTBR sure does love their One Up racks..

    The cheapest hitch is the u haul but looks but ugly and hangs down pretty low. The eco hitch was only 220 for me so it's only a 100 more. Yes the 1 up hitch is spendy but well worth it especially if your transporting an expensive bike.
  • 12-09-2014
    Canadmos
    Anyone want to hand deliver the hitch across the border and absorb any taxes? :)
  • 12-10-2014
    Jem7sk
    This is the one I got... $113 shipped in two days with Amazon Prime. I installed it myself when it arrived two days later. Was able to get the 2" Holdup which is solid:

    Amazon.com: Curt 13135 Class 3 Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver Tube: Curt Manufacturing: Automotive

    Amazon.com: Yakima Products Hold Up Tray Style Bike Rack, 2-Inch: Automotive
  • 12-10-2014
    Neseth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    As much as I want a 2" hitch, that Torklift one would be more than double what a regular hitch would be up here. Over $200 for the hitch, another $80 for shipping and then taxes probably. Wonder if I could get a normal one custom welded with a 2" piece?
    MTBR sure does love their One Up racks..

    Well a factory OEM hitch is $470. So the torklift ecohitch is right in the middle then. I have a hidden hitch on my 2008 impreza, put it on a month after i bought it in 2008 and it's already mostly rusted, looks horrible because the entire frame sticks out underneath and is fully visible. The ecohitch is tucked underneath, will have better ground clearance and looks way better, like an OEM hitch, but with a proper 2" reciever. Well worth the money.
  • 07-16-2015
    ZACARIAS
    I have a Impreza Sedan MY 2006.
  • 09-02-2015
    birmy
    2015 Impreza Sport with the Torklift Eco through the rear bumper, also added a Curt double hitch to gain a lot of ground clearance for my NV. I just got it all together yesterday so I am still not sure how this will work long term.
  • 09-02-2015
    gaper80
    Who else here drives a Subaru?
    I've got a 2014 FXT with the Torklift Eco and a 1up. I think it was well worth the extra $100 or so more than the curt, to not see the bar.
  • 09-03-2015
    birmy
    1 Attachment(s)