Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Here is my 03 subaru baja. 54000 miles without any problem.
    Love my car but sad to see that baja was discontinued.
    I don't like 09 forester so I am looking at next redesign forester or hoping for new baja.

believe or not motul engine oil might increase your MPG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I liked my '97 gray Legacy wagon 5-speed w/ leather so much, I replaced
    it with a 2005 gray Legacy wagon 5-speed w/ leather!

It's too bad Subaru of America discontinued the Legacy wagon, because I really like the low stance compared to the outback (not to mention it's easier to get my junk on and off the roof!). It was hard enough to get ahold of my '05 (5-speed + leather / normally aspirated is all I wanted) -- we had to pick it up in Salt Lake City. Meanwhile, Legacy wagons aplenty are being manufactured in Indiana, for Canada! Wahh!

I'm itching for the diesel variant to hit the states. 50+ MPG? I'm in. But I'm afraid they're going to make it only as an Outback automatic (the European and Australian markets are getting Legacy wagon + 5-speed).

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

thecentralscrutinizer
    I bought an 07 Impreza 2.5i last November. I'm using a hitch mount rack, something Performance sold several years ago, that holds 2 bikes on fork mount trays. I really need to get some pictures of this car.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member

Legacy Outback here

2006 LL Bean model here.

First Subaru for me but my oldest son had an STi. He couldn't kill it (he really did race it on Sunday and drive it to work on Monday) so I figured it was time to dump the VW. Nice car but a pig with the six cylinder.

I hope that Subaru can figure out a way to substantially increase mpg by the time I purchase another car. I see that they offer a diesel in Europe but with the price of diesel fuel being as high as it is, I don't see that as an answer. I'm lucky that I use mass transit everyday so that gas prices are not killing me and the Subi is convenient for biking and skiing.

Nice to have when you need the room. Not nice when you pay for gas. I can't even imagine owning a large SUV but than I always thought they were rather stupid vehicles.

My real driving passion is when I use my wife's Mini Cooper and get 42 mpg.

mtbr member
    Is yours an auto? I am not a fan of the Subi autos (or autos in general). My outback sport is a 2.5 stick shift, plenty quick, solid as a rock, and great gas mileage. I get 300+ on a 12-14 gallon tank. I love it. I walk most of the time or ride my bike though as I live in the city. But it is nice hardly ever having to fill her up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    My real driving passion is when I use my wife's Mini Cooper and get 42 mpg.
    I also drive my wife's mini. I don't think we get 42mpg yet because it's still new. I think MINI and subaru is a perfect combination.
    I saved $1100 for subaru bucks and hopefully, I will save $2000 subaru bucks and pay for Next new car down payment.

Subaru for life

if you want to improve MPG on subaru, try motul engine oil. I used mobile synthetic oil for 3 years and about 6 months, I changed to motul.
    somewhat reason, I get a 20-40 mpg improvement per tank. one time, my baja went over 400 miles (highway: ave. 75mpg) a tank (14 gallon).

mtbr member

I get free oil changes for life

The engine oil you mentioned may improve my mpg but I'd have to pay for it so that would negate the savings. My dealer gave me free oil and filter changes for as long as I own the car (every 3k miles) so I'll stay with that.

The best I can average with the six cylinder is 26 mpg when the trip is almost all highway and I keep the speed under 60 mph. Fortunately, we have a trip like this to get to our shore place so its feasible. The same trip is where we average 42 mpg with the Mini. Mostly highway, maybe 10 % city. Our Mini usually averages 36.5 mpg when you combine city/highway, the Subaru more like 20 mpg for a combination city/highway.

As I said, I take mass transit so my daily commute is only 11 miles round trip.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygui
    Is yours an auto? I am not a fan of the Subi autos (or autos in general).
    Mine is an auto, but thats only cause they never made Turbo Wagons with 5spds Not in 92-94. Sooner or later I will get around to converting it to a 5spd. I may try that oil, my mileage right now is horrible. Just last week I put 13.3 gallons in the tank and only had driven 152 miles on it. You do the math I guess it doesnt help that my right foot weighs 30lbs more than my left.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 1998 subaru OBS. I got a yakima raptor for my bighit as well.

Subaru's are the best vehicles ever. You can't beat the awd feature for getting you and your bike out to the best riding places, I can get mine to places where some of my friends won;t even take their trucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    2006 Imprezza OBS. Yakima Raptors in the summer, Yakima Skybox 12S in the winter. Haven't tried running the racks and the box at the same time, but I see no issues doing so when I move across the country this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rip420tide
    2006 Imprezza OBS. Yakima Raptors in the summer, Yakima Skybox 12S in the winter. Haven't tried running the racks and the box at the same time, but I see no issues doing so when I move across the country this summer.
    I drove my little four banger with a uhaul trailer twice as big as it, packed to the gills, including 2 very heavy old motorcycles from SLC to Philly. No problems at all (except new tires and brake pads!) I love these cars.

mtbr member

No good

I just got a reply from SOA. They said it was standard procedure to replace ONLY the faulty gasket under warranty. Bummer.....

Motion activated
    Wife has a new (to us) 04 Forester XT with a 5 speed. A real giant killer for the $, but If I lived somewhere closer to sea level and outside the snow belt, I'd rather have a RWD car.

By far the fastest car we've ever owned, yet it looks like a little grocery getter. Second only to the STI in Subaru's line up for 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by kimguroo
    I don't like 09 forester
    +1

The 06+ sure are nicer looking than the previous iterations so they were headed in the right direction but then

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, but it's zero to 60 time is due to AWD and no wheel spin, at higher speeds a Z will smoke the forester, or from a rolling start the Z will smoke the forester. If you drive the forester so that it gets those kinds of numbers (it requires a 5000rpm clutch slip) one of two things happens, you go real fast because of the AWD or you kill the clutch or some other driveline part. The AWD makes the zero to 60 numbers seem rediculously small, but in reality it's not that the car is that fast, it's that it's reved up high and then the clutch is slipped and there's no wheelspin. These cars run out of breath fast when doing accelerations like this, and only bigger turbos (and required mods) really help to a high degree.

The Z is going to smoke the forester doing anything other than a 5000rpm clutch drop.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    07 WRX wagon, Cobb stage 2. I frequent Nasioc and ClubWRX.net.

nimble biker
    I have questions to subaru owners:

does the windows of subaru leak in air during hwy travel?

how reliable is subaru engine over 5yr period?

Is there major mechanical break down for subaru?

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMojo
    Have a WRX....transport my bike in the trunk...and the rear seats do not fold down, it just fits.
    how do you manage to squeeze the bike into the trunk? I am curious. I have an accord 4cyl 1993 model. I have to take out the front wheel and squeeze the bike all the way into the car with backseat fold down.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard

Ive owned 16 Subaru's. Only one has leaked at highway speeds but the window was messed up to begin with.

You can expect to see 250,000 miles on a Subaru Motor before its first major overhaul.

Like any other motor vehicle, that all depends on how well the engine was maintained.
    -Brian

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
    -Brian
    thanks for the reply Brian.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Don't have any problem with it

my subaru baja is 4 years and 4 months so far.
    never had any problem.

only changed engine oil and free break pad replacement at 35000 miles (warranty).
    I changed an engine oil to motul and I felt my car goes stronger than ever (55000miles)

user-created
    Subaru? Isn't that like some South American rodent?

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Nope, its a cluster of stars

I miss my lifted subes

Someday I'll have another...

-Brian

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    2005 Legacy 3.0R Spec B here (in the EU the Spec B comes with a 3 liter and a manual). Got this car about two months ago and so far I really like it. Stops at the petrol station are a bit more frequent though...

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, but it's zero to 60 time is due to AWD and no wheel spin, at higher speeds a Z will smoke the forester, or from a rolling start the Z will smoke the forester. If you drive the forester so that it gets those kinds of numbers (it requires a 5000rpm clutch slip) one of two things happens, you go real fast because of the AWD or you kill the clutch or some other driveline part. The AWD makes the zero to 60 numbers seem rediculously small, but in reality it's not that the car is that fast, it's that it's reved up high and then the clutch is slipped and there's no wheelspin. These cars run out of breath fast when doing accelerations like this, and only bigger turbos (and required mods) really help to a high degree.

The Z is going to smoke the forester doing anything other than a 5000rpm clutch drop.
    The 04 & 05 forester had the 2.5 from the STI and makes peak Torque at 3500rpm. Of course just about any car will benefit from a hard launch, 350Z included, but a reasonably casual launch in the FXT (under 2,000 rpm) will have you pinned to your seat.

I'm sure the 350Z will make good at higher speed, but the FXT is still quicker in the 1/4 mile (at over 90MPH). AWD or not I'd hardly call a high 13's car "not that fast".

The 350z is a much nicer car in so many ways and if I lived back in Australia and didn't have a baby on the way, I wouldn't even give the FXT a second look. I prefer a naturally aspirated RWD car, but not when driving at 5,000-11,000 feet in all kinds of weather. Remember that a naturally aspirated car looses 3% of it HP for every 1,000ft of altitude. A turbo looses some power as well, but not as much.

However there is no denying that while the FXT is no super car, it has incredible real world performance for a stock "SUV" and it's power is very accessible.

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast