mtbr member
    Oct 2006

White Audi A4 Avant with Thule

Hello,
    I'm thinking about going with Thule Aero Bar system with Echelon bike rack. I think this is the same setup sold by Audi as OEM stuff. Anyway, the reason is the aero bar and echelon has some brushed aluminum parts on it and it matches the aluminum rack on my avant. Has anyone used the regular black square bars on their Avant? I've heard the square system is much safer than the aero system. I want the rack to blend in with the car, not stick out like a sore thumb. Black rack on a white car may look a little odd. Can someone prove me wrong?? Post some pics if you have them. Thanks.
    BTW, has anyone sucessfully strip the plastic coating on the Thule square bars and sanded and coated it to make it look aluminum?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I just pulled a set of Yakima lowriders, 58" bars, and 2 king cobras off my A4 Avant. They were on there for about 1 year and saw use maybe a dozen times (I have a pickup for hauling my bikes). $250 for the complete setup if you're interested. I've even shortened the trays just a bit so that they can be slid back to interfere with the sunroof less yet not hit on the rear hatch.