mtbr member
    Jul 2010

what's the first step?

Hi you all
    I'm new to bike racks , I always had truks so it was easy to fit my bike inthe back, recently becouse of economy and family I swiched to a little Ford Fiesta 5 doors 2012.
    now I want to buy a nice bike rack but i like the ones with the hich and platform ( i don t like and I don t trust any of those racks hanging in the back of my car sinse I m going to have in the back a 3/4 k bike .
    My question is what s my first step get a hich mount and how much does it cost ? Are there different sizes ? where is the best place to get a hich enstaled?
    thank you for your help

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hitch

Hi,

I've always had trucks so my hitches have always bolted right up. Check with Ford and see which ones they use, and then if it justs bolts on Etrailer and a bunch of websites might have the same hitch a little cheaper. If it's not that simple U-haul does hitch installs. What part of the world are you in, I know places in San Diego that do installs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74 View Post
    Hi you all
    I'm new to bike racks , I always had truks so it was easy to fit my bike inthe back, recently becouse of economy and family I swiched to a little Ford Fiesta 5 doors 2012.
    now I want to buy a nice bike rack but i like the ones with the hich and platform ( i don t like and I don t trust any of those racks hanging in the back of my car sinse I m going to have in the back a 3/4 k bike .
    My question is what s my first step get a hich mount and how much does it cost ? Are there different sizes ? where is the best place to get a hich enstaled?
    thank you for your help
    The hitch is usually 120-140 at U-haul. To get it installed at u-haul is usually not much more, just usual labor rates and they can usually get it installed in maybe 30 minutes. I've installed some myself, but they can vary widely as far as how complex the install is. This is what you'd want to look at first before trying to do it yourself. On my camaro SS it was advertised as 30 minutes, took me an honest 45 and was pretty easy. Sometimes the installs require drilling and taking some parts off to get the hitch in there. It just depends on the model.

What you don't want to do is get a hitch installed at the dealer (99% of the time). This can cost $600 or more! They rape-you with the "OEM" hitch, which is usually about 3x what it's worth, and then they way overcharge the installation. The ones at U-haul are just as good in nearly every case.

There are good companies like Curt and others that actually make the hitches. They have the info on installation.

The way I think about it is hitch+hitch rack is usually roughly equivalent to a roof rack setup in cost, except you can get some cheaper hitch racks for around $200 with trays that aren't too bad and come out about $100 cheaper than a basic roof setup, but going back to them being similar prices, after that point, the roof rack continues to cost more money in gas mileage, while the hitch rack does not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks guys for your helpful advice.
    I think I m going to check U haul and see the difference of price compare to the ford dealer. Are there differrent sizes or light v heavy hich i need to know about ?
    by the way I live in north Florida
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Why pay to have it installed? Seriously, buy one from e-trailer and get a rack from them too if you want. Free Shipping from them and they have some pretty good racks at good prices too.

I put a hitch on my wife's car this morning in about 20 minutes. Its not complicated on these small passenger cars at all.

Here's a few choices for hitches.

Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ford Fiesta | etrailer.com

Here's a few choices for racks.

Platform Rack Class 1 Hitch Bike Racks | etrailer.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

sizes

Hi,

Basically 2 sizes, 2 inch and 1 1/4, but for you situation it wont make much difference the bike racks usually have adapters that let them fit both. The 2 inch lets you tow more. And with a companies like 1up, racks the 2 inch is rated for 4 bikes while the 1 1/4 is only rated for 3. Sometimes smaller cars only fit or come with 1 1/4 because they are afraid of liability issues with people trying to tow too much.

On another note the 1up racks are awesome. I just switched to one from a Thule double track, and I like it much better. Check the reviews on this forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The only hitches made for the hatchback fiesta are Class I hitches. Made for towing no more than 2000lbs and only 200lbs of that on the tongue. It is 1.25" square. Use the links provided in my previous post and you'll get the info you need for the hitch decision.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Rawk View Post

I put a hitch on my wife's car this morning in about 20 minutes. Its not complicated on these small passenger cars at all.
    Um, you don't know what you are talking about. Some are easy and relatively quick, some are much more complicated. It depends on the vehicle and hitch. There is no "rule" that they are all 20-minute installs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

I'd rather be on my bike
    This is correct. U-Haul installed mine, and the installer had been installing for 10+ years. Took almost an hour to install it on my previous car, an Audi A4, and he said it wasn't that easy. This is from someone who installs these things for a living. The average person would have taken about 2-3 hours I am willing to bet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Um, you don't know what you are talking about. Some are easy and relatively quick, some are much more complicated. It depends on the vehicle and hitch. There is no "rule" that they are all 20-minute installs.
    I never said they would all be easy. But if you aren't borderline retarded and have basic handtools, why wouldn't you do the install yourself? I'd rather save the 100-150$ that I'd spend having it installed so i can fund a bike weekend or even a rack.

As for the Audi hitch install, those cars aren't particularly common nor mechanic friendly. I know of a few shops that do nothing but work on VW's and their awesome yet quirky cousins around my part of the country.

Keep in mind the guy tossing hitches on cars at uhaul makes his living installing hitches. Of course he's gonna say its not that easy.

I must just be pretty lucky in my car choice or mechanical abilities. Never had a hitch install take longer than about 45 minutes. That includes dropping the spare tires when needed. Only times I've ever needed help were on the big class IV hitches, but just because i couldn't get the thing lifted into place. I've installed hitches on nearly every vehicle someone in my family has bought in the past 15 years

Rogue Exterminator
    Hitch $89.95 shipped

Install = 4 bolts

CURT Manufacturing 110670 Class 1 Trailer Hitch Only

From the design, it looks like it goes over the muffler. Don't know if it could be slid over or if the muffle will have to be Dropped.
    May need to drill, I dunno.
    Still a simple install with basic knowledge of tools.
    If you don't have basic knowledge then pay somebody to do it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No drilling required on any of the hitches available for the car in question from etrailer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Keep in mind, there are sometimes significant differences in how stable/secure some of the hitches are as well. For bike racks, it's usually not as much of an issue, except in extreme cases. The one that takes longer to install and is more secure could be worth it in the long run if you plan to ever do any towing.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Keep in mind, there are sometimes significant differences in how stable/secure some of the hitches are as well. For bike racks, it's usually not as much of an issue, except in extreme cases. The one that takes longer to install and is more secure could be worth it in the long run if you plan to ever do any towing.
    There are 3 available for the fiesta hatch.
    They all mount the same.
    The difference is the cross tube.
    The Curt which I posted an ebay link to is the least visible
    You can see them all here though

Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ford Fiesta | etrailer.com

About $45 cheaper on ebay though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks you all for all your advice .
    I found a place in town that is close to my house and is going to get me the hich and enstole it for a good price.
    Now my second question is : wich bike rack should i buy?
    My LBS was talking to me about the YAKIMA HOLDUP anybody has it ?
    thanks

mtbr member
    I looked at the Holdup but I was concerned that the "fixed" trays for the rear wheels wouldn't accommodate the variety of bikes(different sizes and wheelbase) I haul on a regular basis so I went with the Thule T2. Now that I've been using the T2 I don't think the Hold ups fixed trays would have been an issue and I believe either rack would be a good choice.

If you are on a tight budget the SprortRack hitch rack and Thule Doubletrack listed on E-Rawks link are really good choices as well BUT they are not nearly as hassle free or easy to use as the T2 or Holdup style racks.
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    There are 3 available for the fiesta hatch.
    They all mount the same.
    The difference is the cross tube.
    The Curt which I posted an ebay link to is the least visible
    I recommend the Curt. If you look carefully at the photos in my pdf attachment you can see the difference. The receiver tube on the Curt is a through-hole and allows you to mount your rack as close to the bumper as possible. This is critical for small cars to reduce the lever arm of the bike rack on the rear suspension of the car.

FWIW, I own a Sonic and went through this painful process myself. I have a 6 month old Draw-Tite/Hidden Hitch in the garbage because I found that my bike rack bounced around like crazy; at max instal-depth, the rack was ~4" from the bumper. Curt hitch solved the problem.

I also recommend a strap if you're carrying <2 bikes on a B-segment car. The rear suspension won't have enough damping and the strap helps minimize the movement.
    Curt Trailer Hitch Support Strap - Bike Rack Strap with Cambuckle Curt Accessories and Parts 18050
    Attached Files Attached Files
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm actually using the Swagman XTC2 and love it. Went together easily, folds down flat so I can get into the hatch of the car, and extremely adjustable.

Here's a pic of mine installed on the wife's Honda Fit:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what's the first step?-photo.jpg