mtbr member

What are some of the better trunk racks? (2013 Corolla)

Decided against a roof rack, and to just use my truck when I need to haul a kayak.
    LBS has a variety from Yakima, Thule, and Saris listed online, but I haven't seen them in person.
    Any particular models that are considered to be "best"?
    I'd like to be able to stick it in the trunk when not in use, and still have some trunk space.
    The Yakima "Super Joe Pro 2" is what had caught my eye, but the reviews I found were discouraging.
    I like the looks of the Thule Raceway, which has some good reviews, and I found some nice commentary here on a search. It's double the price.
    $250 isn't going to kill me, but maybe there's a happy medium, and something a little more compact that works as well(??)...

btw, the vast majority of the time, I will only be carrying one, but do need a capacity for two bikes-and not with the pedals removed, etc, like caused some of the Super Joe Pro 2 complaints that I read.
    I have a 29" hardtail, a Trek Cobia, if that matters.
    Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    I've been using the Super Joe 3 for about 3 months on my BMW 335i. It's performed flawlessly. I don't take it far (about 45 minutes, max) but for those short trips, it's been fantastic. I think I picked it up at Dick's Sporting goods for under $100.

I've also only carried one bike on it so I can't comment on its ability to transport 2 or 3.

b a n n e d
    The Saris Bones 3 was hands down the best trunk rack I've ever used. Don't get the 2 bike version, even if you don't need to carry 3 bikes though. The "2" only uses 3 feet on the car vs. the "3" which uses 4 feet. Much more stable design.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

I'd rather be on my bike
    The Saris Bones 3 was hands down the absolute worst rack I have ever used. Scuffed the paint of all contact points on the vehicle, and even with top tupe adapters, still managed to be a huge pain in the a to haul 2 FS bikes.

Hitch and a rack would be the way to go, or a Seasucker. Can easily be kept in your trunk when not in use, and works on almost all vehicles.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The Saris Bones 3 was hands down the best trunk rack I've ever used.
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    The Saris Bones 3 was hands down the absolute worst rack I have ever used. Scuffed the paint of all contact points on the vehicle, and even with top tupe adapters, still managed to be a huge pain in the a to haul 2 FS bikes.
    I definitely would not say that the Saris was the best RACK I've used, but of the trunk options, it was the best one.

And all of the aforementioned issues raised by TenSpeed are easily avoided and/or remedied. 3M clearbra or similar material applied at all contact points will save your paint (and make re-mounting a breeze when you remove and replace it), and the bars on the Saris move horizontally and vertically and thus allow for an extensive number of positions. You just have to play around with it for a bit,
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had the saris bones 3 as well, as trunk racks go, it was good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If you do NOT have a full suspension bike, then the Saris Bones 3 is a great choice. I've been using one for five years, taking my bike for 600 mile round trips at least twice a year (in addition to local travelling) and I have had no problems with the rack. It will hold you bike(s) very securely. As for scratching the finish, I've not seen this with my car. However, to be on the safe side I have started putting a couple of old wash cloths under the feet of the rack that rest on the trunk. But, I did not have to do this...this is just insurance against scratching. If you do have a full suspension bike and have to have a trunk rack, Thule makes a trunk rack that is also a platform style rack. I don't remember the name of it, but go to the Thule website and you will find it there.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Decided against a roof rack, and to just use my truck when I need to haul a kayak.
    LBS has a variety from Yakima, Thule, and Saris listed online, but I haven't seen them in person.
    Any particular models that are considered to be "best"?
    I'd like to be able to stick it in the trunk when not in use, and still have some trunk space.
    The Yakima "Super Joe Pro 2" is what had caught my eye, but the reviews I found were discouraging.
    I like the looks of the Thule Raceway, which has some good reviews, and I found some nice commentary here on a search. It's double the price.
    $250 isn't going to kill me, but maybe there's a happy medium, and something a little more compact that works as well(??)...

btw, the vast majority of the time, I will only be carrying one, but do need a capacity for two bikes-and not with the pedals removed, etc, like caused some of the Super Joe Pro 2 complaints that I read.
    I have a 29" hardtail, a Trek Cobia, if that matters.
    Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'd kind of given up on this thread.
    I did buy a KingJoe Pro 2 last week on the way home from riding(and buying gas for the 4WD V8 again!).
    It apparently doesn't have the issues users of the "super" version complained about, but we're getting slammed with rain, so I won't get to try it out 'til next week.
    Got 10% off, so paid $148.50-probably pay for itself in gas I save by the end of summer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey OwenM I have a corolla too. I was wondering how you liked your trunk rack. Would you recommend it for long distance driving? I am going to be moving from Los angeles to Seattle. I would really appreciate your experience with this rack. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sorry for the very late reply, as I haven't been on here in awhile. Since it's rained on my off days almost every week this entire year until the last month or so, I'd only taken the bike out a few times, and just used my truck. The rack finally got unboxed a few weeks ago, and is now seeing regular use.
    Works great. Due to the speed of traffic on the way to the state park where I ride, I'm driving 80+mph, and even got up to 95 briefly just today, and it's rock solid. Kinda funny since I'm in gas saver grannie mode most of the time, but turn into a speed demon to and from riding the bike.

The only things it lacks(for me) is any kind of security for the rack when it's attached to the car, or for the bike when it's on the rack. The strap that comes with it for holding the front wheel in place is also stiff and hard to use, but easily replaced with a cheap strap and buckle from WalMart or Academy.
    The first time I used it, I folded it up, and put it in the trunk, but now I'm just leaving it on the car, since it's usually in a very public parking place. After the first time, installing the rack only takes a couple of minutes-which is mostly spent securing the excess strap material, and detaching literally takes seconds.

Bit of a perspective pic, and makes the bike look huge on the Corolla, but 29ers are pretty big

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i thought very hard about how to tranport my bike - and i've decided on getting the Yakima King Joe Pro 3. It's very well made and uses good quality nylon straps - i also like that the buckles are made of metal. I've got a roof rack with thule bike carrier but have found my petrol usage quite bad whenever the roof rack is used - i seem to be constantly running low on fuel with the racks on. My experience with an older trunk rack - the Rhode Gear Shuttle has been good - no major negative incident to report. These trunk racks are good for the flexibility of ease of on-off the car, reduced wind resistance (compared to the roof rack) and are light weight ( some hitch racks themselves are heavier than 2 bikes put together). As long as you have a safety routine of checking how the straps are installed and having a backup strap to the bike/rack then it's very secure. Most bad stories from trunk racks are due to the bike getting out of the rack - and these are caused by the user just depending on the rubber strap - i always tie-down with a used inner tyre. And with the trunk rack i can travel at normal highway speed as there's minimal wind resistance and my mileage is still pretty good. I've considered the Saris Bones RS or the Thule Raceway and think i'll stay with the good old fashioned straps where i can see the conditions of the straps. The raceway or Saris RS have mechanism which could potentially fail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Sorry for the very late reply, as I haven't been on here in awhile. Since it's rained on my off days almost every week this entire year until the last month or so, I'd only taken the bike out a few times, and just used my truck. The rack finally got unboxed a few weeks ago, and is now seeing regular use.
    Works great. Due to the speed of traffic on the way to the state park where I ride, I'm driving 80+mph, and even got up to 95 briefly just today, and it's rock solid. Kinda funny since I'm in gas saver grannie mode most of the time, but turn into a speed demon to and from riding the bike.

The only things it lacks(for me) is any kind of security for the rack when it's attached to the car, or for the bike when it's on the rack. The strap that comes with it for holding the front wheel in place is also stiff and hard to use, but easily replaced with a cheap strap and buckle from WalMart or Academy.
    The first time I used it, I folded it up, and put it in the trunk, but now I'm just leaving it on the car, since it's usually in a very public parking place. After the first time, installing the rack only takes a couple of minutes-which is mostly spent securing the excess strap material, and detaching literally takes seconds.

Bit of a perspective pic, and makes the bike look huge on the Corolla, but 29ers are pretty big
    i've thought of running a slim bike lock through the rack and through the towing eyelet of the car - that should deter most people.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: What are some of the better trunk racks? (2013 Corolla)

I just purchased a Yakima King Joe Pro 2 off amazon for my 2013 Ford escape. I set it up last night and it seems like a pretty good rack. I've noticed that the bottom feet are not angled very well for the Escapes hatch. I think a little bending will help and reduce the chance of paint scratches. One other thing I thought of after purchasing it is that I will need to be very careful to not activate my rear wiper blade while it is attached to the car. For anyone interested in this rack I found it on amazon "like new" for $80. Just thought I'd post this in case someone w the same vehicle is looking for a trunk rack or for a cheap place to find it. I will post another update after using it for a bit with my vehicle.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013

What are some of the better trunk racks? (2013 Corolla)

After a few drives with the rack I decided to return mine. Thought it was going to work out, but the bottom hooks will not secure well enough to the ford escapes hatch. Mine actually came out on a drive, thankfully the top hooks held.

mtbr member
    Well, that sucks. Too bad it didn't work out for you.
    If it makes you feel any better, I got a ticket doing 90 in a 70 with the bike on the back a couple of weeks ago
    That dang thing's getting me in trouble...

FYI for anyone else looking at this rack-I'm debating, well in advance, the possibility of a full suspension bike, and quickly realized that this rack will not work for the bikes I'm looking at. Turns out Yakima makes an adapter for that:
    Yakima Tube Top Crossbar Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive

One by Nine is Fine
    King Joe 3 here, running it on a VW Golf. Rack, straps, and buckles are well built and mount securely, have toted two hardtails on 150 mile freeway trips w/o issues. Expedient solution for carrying bikes without emptying the car (and getting wheelprints all over the interior). On the downside... bikes are vulnerable to damage and theft, brake lights and turn signals are obscured, and fuel economy drops from 51 to 42 mpg (it's a diesel) with the bikes aboard. Which are all generic problems with pretty much any trunk rack.

On the Golf, Fuse 23 controls the rear wiper, I pull that fuse anytime the rack's installed. I'm sure the same could be done with most cars... much easier than replacing the wiper drivetrain!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I saw the Thule 9003 at a trail recently and I have to say...it looks like hands down the best trunk mounted bike rack I have seen. I have not seen anything that comes even close. The only problem is the price. Cheapest I found was $279. Does anyone know of any others that work like the Thule 9003? I did find this one - Amazon.com: BuzzRack Skipper 2-Bicycle SUV Hatchback and Wheel Cradle Trunk Bike Rack: Rage Powersports: Automotive. Any others out their?