Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dirt Huffer

What mid-Life crisis car?

What fast car did you buy?

livin' the dream......
    I think I am one car away from my mid life crisis car.......... Always wanted a land rover defender 90. Green or black one. Who knows.........something cooler than my 2010 Camry!

RideDirt
    The one that goes fast, has tires, and a motor !

mtbr member extraordinair
    fast car? pfft. I spent my money on a fast bike.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    fast car? pfft. I spent my money on a fast bike.

workin' it Administrator
    Midlife crisis cars are the worst examples of car purchases I have seen. If until the point that you reached 40 or 50 or whatever you never had the need of a Z06 or a E55 or whatever then you don't need it now. If you never saw the need for a car that can do power on oversteer and a dab of the throttle, then you don't need it now. If you never bought a car based on its performance through the road and track slalom or its prowess on the rubicon or its ability to navigate through death valley before then you don't need it now.

Nothing makes me more sad than seeing a performance car puttering around town with a doddering old fart in the seat and the exhaust note showing he went with the automatic option. It is like a horse yearning to run free but saddled with a Victorian Countess sitting side saddle in a flowing white dress while she ambles along a green river.

If you get it get it sideways, get is dirty, get it to a track and for god sake's don't wear a golf hat, get a convertible (Unless it is a S2000), and rev the day lights out of it.

For me it would be a Z06 and AMG mercedes E class, a Land Rover LWB, a WRX STI, the list goes on, but all because i have owned similar cars in the past, just not at that level and if I am going to spend it is going to be because I want to use them at the track or on the trails. A lot and money in this case does buy competence.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

Nothing makes me more sad than seeing a performance car puttering around town with a doddering old fart in the seat and the exhaust note showing he went with the automatic option. It is like a horse yearning to run free but saddled with a Victorian Countess sitting side saddle in a flowing white dress while she ambles along a green river.

If you get it get it sideways, get is dirty, get it to a track and for god sake's don't wear a golf hat, get a convertible (Unless it is a S2000), and rev the day lights out of it.

Living in Vero Beach Florida AKA God's waiting room, I truly did a LOL cause I see this everyday down here. 70+ guy puttering along in a new Vette or Porsche with the automatic. I listen for the high rev and shift but never hear it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just got a 2012 Challenger. Plenty quick

mtbr member
    Eh, I've always had a thing for horsepower. I traded in my 2002 Lightning for a 2012 Mustang GT Brembo pack last fall... but it's not a midlife crisis thing, I'm in my early 30's.

I guess if I get to the middle and still have a car that I always wanted but never had, it will probably be a nice Jeep or something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ferrari 458. Is there anything else?
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan769 View Post
    Living in Vero Beach Florida AKA God's waiting room, I truly did a LOL cause I see this everyday down here. 70+ guy puttering along in a new Vette or Porsche with the automatic. I listen for the high rev and shift but never hear it.
    Look for my father in law's maroon Cadillac CTS-V coupe. It's a stick, and he drives it like it is meant to be driven.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Ferrari 458. Is there anything else?
    No doubt, this would be mine.

Real world (for me) I would go with a newer Z06.

mtbr member
    i have a 500+rear wheel horse powered trans am for you for under $10k! needs a 500$ clutch
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I just got a 2012 Challenger. Plenty quick
    I never liked any Dodge until I saw the new Challenger. They're loud and a total badass car. If I had one I'd go through a set of rear tires every week.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Would be a Nissan GT-R for me.

Not saying I came real close to buying one but I did think about it. I opted instead for its more practical stable mate (G37x).

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I never liked any Dodge until I saw the new Challenger. They're loud and a total badass car. If I had one I'd go through a set of rear tires every week.
    I used to think the same, until I drove my father in law's 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (long gone, was a lease take over). Sure, it looks pretty nice, but once you get behind the wheel of that thing.....unreal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    not sure, good think i have 20 years to ponder

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I used to think the same, until I drove my father in law's 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (long gone, was a lease take over). Sure, it looks pretty nice, but once you get behind the wheel of that thing.....unreal.
    Nice car for sure. That much horse power I'm sure it gets up and goes. Now where do you hold the bike?

I'd rather be on my bike
    They make bike racks for all types of cars.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Midlife crisis cars are the worst examples of car purchases I have seen. If until the point that you reached 40 or 50 or whatever you never had the need of a Z06 or a E55 or whatever then you don't need it now. If you never saw the need for a car that can do power on oversteer and a dab of the throttle, then you don't need it now. If you never bought a car based on its performance through the road and track slalom or its prowess on the rubicon or its ability to navigate through death valley before then you don't need it now.

For me it would be a Z06 and AMG mercedes E class, a Land Rover LWB, a WRX STI, the list goes on, but all because i have owned similar cars in the past, just not at that level and if I am going to spend it is going to be because I want to use them at the track or on the trails. A lot and money in this case does buy competence.
    My father bought a vw transporter diesel a few years ago, he really cares about prestige. I
    asked him why he bought it, and he told me its convenient and you can fill it up with lots of **** that you can't fit in a regular car.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I have owned a lot of fast cars over the years and just sold off the last one. I figured out that I don't really have the chance to drive them the way they were meant to be driven since I have 5 kids. A few years from now most of them will be driving on their own and I will get something fun again. Will probably be an F430 or GT3 RS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been a gearhead my whole life....I am unimpressed by anything that you can buy. However.....in the spirit of the original post, for a daily driver mid life crisis car I have my eye on either a CTS-V or a Z06 with some Lingenfelter work done to it.

I totally understand a previous poster's frustration with seeing grandpa cruizing around in a sweet car like there is an egg under the gas pedal.

Some cars are just meant to have the crap ran out of them.

When I'm driving my hotrods....or in the future my midlife crisis car you will know it's me because I don't believe in quiet exhaust notes and I will be followed by a constant cloud of tire smoke as I dump the clutch every chance I get.....no friggin slushbox in my cars...manual or nothing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an old miata that is fast around an autox coarse does that count ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Corvettes are nice and affordable. I bought one when I turned 30... Unfortunately it spends most of the time in the garage. It's now 6 years old with just over 6k miles on it. 1st world problem but I need to sell the tires soon before they go bad. A replacement set of the run flats is over $1800. It's had a few problems but for 50K and capable of going 180+... it's hard to beat. Just be prepared to have NO ONE want to race you on the street...
    Killing it with close inspection.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Corvettes are nice and affordable. I bought one when I turned 30... Unfortunately it spends most of the time in the garage. It's now 6 years old with just over 6k miles on it. 1st world problem but I need to sell the tires soon before they go bad. A replacement set of the run flats is over $1800. It's had a few problems but for 50K and capable of going 180+... it's hard to beat. Just be prepared to have NO ONE want to race you on the street...
    Behind the wheel of that Viper, the Corvette driver at the light next to me wanted nothing to do with me. Interesting how that works. I wanted to see what he had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast